Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

LazyMaybe posted:

oooough god I hate people confidently spreading misinformation

no, weapons do not have "unlisted crit spot multipliers like AMR", they just have higher damage to durable parts

so they have an unlisted damage boost against certain parts of the enemy?

Arc Hammer posted:

They really need to give heavy armor some buff that isn't just damage resist against explosions. Give it some functionality like being able to fully brace weapons for pinpoint accuracy or gaining immunity to knockdown when standing still. Turn yourself into a deployable turret.

That'd be cool but I'd settle for like, flinch resistance or ragdolling resistance. I'm too fat to run from hunters at least let me stim through the crowd as I mow them down with my pump action shotgun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have recently discovered Dracula Flow and this is accurate to a Helldivers 2 match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPGP-yOemAQ

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

novaSphere posted:

You still die to a rocket headshot even in heavy explosive resist armor. Heavy armor is *okay* against bots but I'd rather just use medium armor.

This isn't always true, but I think you sometimes (rarely) get killed by rocket headshots because it applies physical force downwards on you which makes your legs / torso take a bunch of damage when you slam down into the ground, or you get unlucky and and get juggled between multiple rockets. Anecdotally, using any of the heavy armors against bots I don't get literally one shot by anything, other than sometimes hulk buzzsaws, and only very rarely die to the rocket juggle.

My feeling is that a rare handful of players swear by heavy armor (me included) who find it pretty useful. Most players never ever heavy, and any amount of bonuses on heavy armor won't get people to change, feels like a lost cause, because people rate their movement speed very highly. The only case I can see for people using heavy armor is if the majority of enemy composition can jump and catch up with light armor like hunters can - so if perhaps the illuminate rank and file troops can all teleport strike, then maybe!

EDIT: having said that, i certainly wouldn't mind some knockdown or flinch resistance! I'm going to be going slow anyway, so I'll take any kind of buffs they handout...

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

They really need to give heavy armor some buff that isn't just damage resist against explosions. Give it some functionality like being able to fully brace weapons for pinpoint accuracy or gaining immunity to knockdown when standing still. Turn yourself into a deployable turret.

Greater recoil reduction would be nice. If the HMG had a bipod and I could go prone and mow down my opponents in heavy armor I'd wear it all the time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kitfox88 posted:

so they have an unlisted damage boost against certain parts of the enemy?
Yes, but those parts are very frequently not "weak points" or "crit spots".

For instance, literally every part of a bile titan is "durable".
A hulk's body is more "durable" and thus more affected by the durable damage stat than its eye.
A devastator's body is 40% durable, but its head(which is the weakpoint) is 0% durable.
That's exactly the opposite of a weakpoint, but having 0% durability and thus taking 100% normal damage actually contributes to it being a weakpoint, because it means it's more vulnerable to primary weapons!

AtomikKrab posted:

For the laser cannon discussion, remember it can set things on fire, likely it gets a tick or two of fire damage off on the turret once you hold it and that's why its under 4 seconds to kill.
First off: no, the laser cannon can't set things on fire. It has no fire effect.

Secondly, it being under 4 seconds is expected.
The cannon has 750 HP, the vent is 100% durable so only cares about durable damage, and the laser cannon does 200 durable damage per second. Thus, you'd expect it to do 750 damage in 3.75 seconds... which is what I've seen running tests just now.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 19, 2024

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Captainicus posted:

This isn't always true, but I think you sometimes (rarely) get killed by rocket headshots because it applies physical force downwards on you which makes your legs / torso take a bunch of damage when you slam down into the ground, or you get unlucky and and get juggled between multiple rockets. Anecdotally, using any of the heavy armors against bots I don't get literally one shot by anything, other than sometimes hulk buzzsaws, and only very rarely die to the rocket juggle.

Don't get me wrong, I like using heavy armor and want to like it more, but can only really justify it against bots and even then it's only when I'm using a high-recoil primary/support weapon w/ Fortified or now the new Engineering heavy. Else I just take the Extra Padding mediums to have 150 armor while running with better speed/stamina. I've never experienced a headshot rocket that didn't instantly kill me in any class of armor or perk, so I'm curious how you're surviving them consistently.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 19, 2024

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

novaSphere posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like using heavy armor and want to like it more, but can only really justify it against bots and even then it's only when I'm using a high-recoil primary/support weapon. Else I just take the Extra Padding mediums to have 150 armor while running with better speed/stamina. I've never experienced a headshot rocket that didn't instantly kill me in any class of armor or perk, so I'm curious how you're surviving them consistently.

Yeah honestly its weird, I'm pretty sure I have survived rocket headshots or they are so rare I haven't been hit with one for a really long time (obviously hard to tell whether it was a head hit or not-quite head neck area hit). Its entirely possible I've just got lucky and haven't been head hit or you've been unlucky and had many physics deaths or both but its hard to say :shrug:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
After the last major patch medium and heavy armor reduce headshot damage.

(The way the patch note was written implied it was only heavy armor, but that was wrong.)

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The way it was written made it seem like just the starter mediums with padded get headshot protection

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Sindai posted:

After the last major patch medium and heavy armor reduce headshot damage.

(The way the patch note was written implied it was only heavy armor, but that was wrong.)

I still get instakilled by headshot rockets in fortified heavy armor even after the patch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Buggy night tonight

Had one rescue civilians mission where the reinforce option was gone. Once all four of us were dead we could all deploy at the same time and get a handle on things but we still missed the goal by one civilian

Had an evacuate valuable assets mission where the shuttle wouldn’t register us as having boarded. I started committing suicide over and over to force a mission end but the timer beat me to it. Really weird.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 19, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Steve Yun posted:

Had an evacuate valuable assets mission where the shuttle wouldn’t register us as having boarded. I started committing suicide over and over to force a mission end but the timer beat me to it. Really weird.

That happened to me the other day. You could go inside the shuttle but the sitting animation didn't play and it never took off.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Blitzer is very fun agaunst bugs. Giving them the zap and their heads explode.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That happened to me the other day. You could go inside the shuttle but the sitting animation didn't play and it never took off.

If the shuttle gets damaged, like if you're tossing 380s around, it can bug out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
We did have a guy using 380s and not realizing how far you have to throw it to be a safe distance from it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
better than having these teammates on a bot mission

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Steve Yun posted:

We did have a guy using 380s and not realizing how far you have to throw it to be a safe distance from it

Freedom isn't free

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I ran into someone earlier who didn't know this so I thought I'd mention-armor that says "Further reduces recoil when crouching or prone by 30%" doesn't actually do that.
It actually reduces recoil by 30% at all times.

https://i.imgur.com/C0pBThk.mp4
^Full auto HMG spraying comparison, both standing and crouching

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The recoil reduce/increase grenades light armor is tops. Until they put out fire resist armor.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm dying repeatedly to bile/nursing spew and I'm wondering if it's because I switched up to the lightest possible armour. That stuff so much as brushes you and it's almost always a OHKO, and I haven't figured out how to reliably dodge it. I guess by not being close enough for them to spew it :shrug:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Heavy armor should get fire resist by default

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

The EAT beacon will stick to chargers and other things on the downward trajectory of it's arc, so I always try to stick chargers with it when requesting them. Sometimes I get a kill from it, but in any case I get two EATs to use.

One time it stuck to me and killed me on drop. That was a bad time. (I didn't figure out if it was some kind of hack or just a dumb bug).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Wachter posted:

I'm dying repeatedly to bile/nursing spew and I'm wondering if it's because I switched up to the lightest possible armour. That stuff so much as brushes you and it's almost always a OHKO, and I haven't figured out how to reliably dodge it. I guess by not being close enough for them to spew it :shrug:
Sprinting sideways(relative to them) is much better than diving, for what it's worth. Diving makes your legs stick out and they'll often catch the spit.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Wachter posted:

I died a lot to those guys and then I basically always started bringing a Laser Dog to warn me when they’re sneaking up on me to spit. I also wear Medium Armor so it’s no longer a OHKO, I also think their damage got nerfed a bit.

Now they very rarely get me.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Aeble posted:

One time it stuck to me and killed me on drop. That was a bad time. (I didn't figure out if it was some kind of hack or just a dumb bug).

All stratagems may or may not still stick to the shield back pack's energy shield. They certainly used to. I had to dodge a couple of resupply drops before I figured out you can just drop the shield pack if a friendly stratball gets stuck to you.

If that isn't what happened then I have no idea.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snatched some wins from the jaws of defeat yesterday. Kept dropping into random pubbie SOS missions that were going to hell, the kind where the group that finally extracted had none of the original group members.

It wasn't like super skill or anything, mostly just stick-to-it-iveness, and taking charge to pin locations and coax people to move on when reinforcements were getting low.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The trick to not dying to sneaky things is to always be looking around and moving. If you stop moving they will sneak up on you.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

The trick to not dying to sneaky things is to always be looking around and moving. If you stop moving they will sneak up on you.

Sincerely this

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Risky Bisquick posted:

Yeah and if you're standing still or not shooting things you should have the map open and spend time ‼️ Ng enemies.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Lobok posted:

Snatched some wins from the jaws of defeat yesterday. Kept dropping into random pubbie SOS missions that were going to hell, the kind where the group that finally extracted had none of the original group members.

It wasn't like super skill or anything, mostly just stick-to-it-iveness, and taking charge to pin locations and coax people to move on when reinforcements were getting low.

I accidentally threw a SOS beacon as the super destroyer was leaving instead of reinforcing. I’m so sorry to the guy who dropped into Devastator Ikaruga. Charbal VII and Chort Bay have cool things you can do with those mesas and ranged turrets but if it’s daytime you can see poo poo in the sun.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

imo arrowhead should add a system to the game where a poll pops up and asks users to give feedback about the difficulty balance for helldive and if they say it's too hard it just replaces it with 7 without telling the user. it'd fix all of the balance complaints

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

imo arrowhead should add a system to the game where a poll pops up and asks users to give feedback about the difficulty balance for helldive and if they say it's too hard it just replaces it with 7 without telling the user. it'd fix all of the balance complaints

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah, frankly Helldive should be like, comically difficult. Like you drop in and see what you're up against and just go

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Heavendivers

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

LazyMaybe posted:

better than having these teammates on a bot mission

The only bad choice there is the flamer.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Sometimes quick play will jump me from 7 to 9 with no warning and then I'm sosing into 6 bile titans

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

johnny park posted:

Yeah, frankly Helldive should be like, comically difficult. Like you drop in and see what you're up against and just go

Some drop ins between subobjectives are actually like this. Granted you shouldn’t be dropping in between or surrounded by red enemy areas but pubbies do what pubbies do.

magiccarpet posted:

Sometimes quick play will jump me from 7 to 9 with no warning and then I'm sosing into 6 bile titans

Setup the conga line and get them to puke on each other, suddenly there are two bile titans

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Hot drops are great. Yesterday I landed us in a spot perfectly triangulated between two sets of shrieker nests and a spore spewer, with a stalker nest not too far away. This is how the wheat is separated from the chaff

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Risky Bisquick posted:

Setup the conga line and get them to puke on each other, suddenly there are two bile titans

This is funny when Spewers get Spewed.

Hahaha get spewed MY LEG.

Also Hunters mid leap intercepting the spew from the spewer is one of those Boons of Joel you rarely see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Black Noise posted:

I accidentally threw a SOS beacon as the super destroyer was leaving instead of reinforcing. I’m so sorry to the guy who dropped into Devastator Ikaruga. Charbal VII and Chort Bay have cool things you can do with those mesas and ranged turrets but if it’s daytime you can see poo poo in the sun.

Last night I was on one of those mesas firing down into a nearby bot base and a Hulk made it up the slope before we could kill it. The resulting explosion launched me clean off the mesa and I broke my leg on a rock. Game owns