Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Thanks whoever did the wiki magic for Thea. Could you add these? The quoted one has been fixed so it's accurate now.

Oh dear me posted:

You get research points by crafting. Always be crafting. Depending on what materials you have plenty of, it can be worth researching 1 handed swords for example just so you can churn out crappy swords with cheap materials for the research points.

Thea is kind of like a roguelike; a few bad calls and some bad luck can leave you in a nigh-unwinnable situation. Don't be afraid to quit after losing your whole adventuring party.

When crafted into armor, weapons, and shields, gems will give a random stat bonus that isn't shown in the recipe. Found items don't always have this, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
If I can inconvenience someone to change a line for my DQ 11 entry (http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dragon_Quest_XI:_Echoes_of_an_Elusive_Age), I done hosed up. Also thank you for adding my tips.
code:
Quests that require peps to complete can be tricky. You can always help trigger peps by beating on your allies with crappy weapons.

to

Quests that require peps to complete can be tricky. You can always help trigger peps by moving a character to the front of the line so they are attacked more often.
It turns out that you cannot actually target your allies unless they are confused. I swore you could but I just tested it out and nope. Just me being stupid.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Speaking of, I recently picked that title up and I've got a question myself. I really enjoyed DQ 10 and particularly its job system, so I was a bit disappointed when I learned that DQ11 doesn't have something like that. I haven't gotten the chance to try it yet, but I hear there's at least a skill system of sorts. What's worth knowing about it and what, in particular, is worth aiming for on a first playthrough?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's important to know that after a certain point (I don't remember exactly when sadly, but it's pretty early on), you can respec your skills at any point by donating money at a church/statue (ie at any save point).

Also once you have more members than can show up in battle you can switch out a pepped-up character mid battle to save their pep-ness if you need it for a quest or somesuch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of, I recently picked that title up and I've got a question myself. I really enjoyed DQ 10 and particularly its job system, so I was a bit disappointed when I learned that DQ11 doesn't have something like that. I haven't gotten the chance to try it yet, but I hear there's at least a skill system of sorts. What's worth knowing about it and what, in particular, is worth aiming for on a first playthrough?

It doesn't suuuuper matter because respeccing is easy and cheap (and an option at all unlike 8 which let you bone yourself), but Erik's knife tree in particular gives him some extremely good muderin' skills.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, that helps a lot already. I hate going into stuff blind and on a budget, with no idea what I can afford to do and what will just hurt me later because I'll be stuck with it forever. Knowing there's a cheap respec, I won't feel so bad spending points on stuff just to see what it does. Thanks.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is there anything for the new Spider-Man game beyond "do the first part of the story and it'll give you some time to go do spider-man stuff"? Do you eventually get enough skill points to unlock everything in all 3 trees or should I be rushing down a tree that has something I want at the bottom to the exclusion of others?

Fun so far, but man is my Batman muscle memory getting my rear end kicked in the little bit I played last night. I can see the fun there, but it's going to take awhile to get this system to gel in my brain. I lost on the second "stop a crime" little event where you stop 7 or so guys from wailing on some homeless woman who snitched on their criminal activities, because the big guys you have to web a billion times or throw a trash can at wreck my poo poo. Having a dodge instead of a counter (and that dodge needing to be done much earlier than you'd think) takes some getting used to.

Swinging around town is fun though. Awww yeah.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Spider-Man

Zaodai posted:

Do you eventually get enough skill points to unlock everything in all 3 trees or should I be rushing down a tree that has something I want at the bottom to the exclusion of others?

Yep you can get everything. If you feel like you need to grind XP because you're having trouble, you can replay activities like the Kingpin construction site fights for XP whenever you want.

Zaodai posted:

Fun so far, but man is my Batman muscle memory getting my rear end kicked in the little bit I played last night. I can see the fun there, but it's going to take awhile to get this system to gel in my brain. I lost on the second "stop a crime" little event where you stop 7 or so guys from wailing on some homeless woman who snitched on their criminal activities, because the big guys you have to web a billion times or throw a trash can at wreck my poo poo. Having a dodge instead of a counter (and that dodge needing to be done much earlier than you'd think) takes some getting used to.

When in doubt, spray webs all over dudes and then throw them at a wall. Also it's not quite like Batman; the white Spider Sense graphic around your head isn't necessarily a 'PRESS DODGE NOW' prompt, sometimes you have to wait a bit for a good dodge. Blue Spider Sense dodges are always good though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bedurndurn posted:

Spider-Man

Yep you can get everything. If you feel like you need to grind XP because you're having trouble, you can replay activities like the Kingpin construction site fights for XP whenever you want.

When in doubt, spray webs all over dudes and then throw them at a wall. Also it's not quite like Batman; the white Spider Sense graphic around your head isn't necessarily a 'PRESS DODGE NOW' prompt, sometimes you have to wait a bit for a good dodge. Blue Spider Sense dodges are always good though.

Good to know I can unlock everything. I wasn't really looking to farm it out, I just didn't want to assume I could get everything and then find out you could max 1 tree and get halfway down another and then uh oh, you're out of points.

I think my hang up so far with the dodging is a bit of what you say (where you don't always need to dodge immediately) combined with the fact that you don't get a Batman-esque ability to cancel out of animations. If you're attacking somebody and go to dodge, you can't animation cancel the start of your attack into a dodge and get out Scot-free. I just need to learn my arsenal better so I use more web zips and stuff, I think. I need to focus more on not getting into big fights than trying to micro my way through a big fight I never should have been in.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zaodai posted:

Is there anything for the new Spider-Man game beyond "do the first part of the story and it'll give you some time to go do spider-man stuff"? Do you eventually get enough skill points to unlock everything in all 3 trees or should I be rushing down a tree that has something I want at the bottom to the exclusion of others?

Swinging around town is fun though. Awww yeah.

Re webs, you can do a lot more with the basic shooter than you might think. They stick to any surface, which includes the ground. Therefore if you web them up and then aerial slam them into the ground it still stick, but also if you knock them on their rear end with either a uppercut or ending a combo and shoot at them when they are on the ground it will automatically web them in place.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

To get back to my own question, it turns out that character building in DQ11 is really, really limited. There is only a very small number of learnable skills. Of these, most will be passive +stat type abilities, but only very little in the way of active powers or spells that meaningfully affect gameplay. Anyone interested in getting the PC version, be aware. It has been fun and interesting so far, but DO NOT expect something comparable to DQ10 DQ9 in terms of character building.

Also?

Crikey, crikey, crikey, crikey... :gonk:

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 23, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cardiovorax posted:

but DO NOT expect something comparable to DQ10 in terms of character building.

I don't think many people here have played the Japan only DQ MMO, so no worries there.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

To get back to my own question, it turns out that character building in DQ11 is really, really limited. There is only a very small number of learnable skills. Of these, most will be passive +stat type abilities, but only very little in the way of active powers or spells that meaningfully affect gameplay. Anyone interested in getting the PC version, be aware. It has been fun and interesting so far, but DO NOT expect something comparable to DQ10 in terms of character building.

Also?

Crikey, crikey, crikey, crikey... :gonk:

I would compare 11 to 8 rather than to the vocation system found in 9 and 7.

The early game skills aren't very strong, but Zap can carry you pretty far. As for the upgradable skills, the sphere grid/skill tree grows.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
also iirc literally all of jade's skills come from her skill tree

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

something worth bringing up for spider-man is that some base challenges don't get unlocked until the latter half of the game; for awhile i was worried that i was gonna have to double back and re-do any base i hadn't gotten all the base tokens out of yet if i was gonna squeeze out enough to keep unlocking suits and whatnot but then act 3 rolled around and now i have a buttload of new bases to do

e: also if you do enough side-content early on you can get in a situation where you need challenge tokens to unlock new stuff but you haven't unlocked challenges yet; just beeline the story and it'll eventually point you towards them

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 23, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think many people here have played the Japan only DQ MMO, so no worries there.
In my defense, neither have I, so I keep expecting the previous playable singleplayer title in the series to actually be the previous title numerically too, haha.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brother Entropy posted:

something worth bringing up for spider-man is that some base challenges don't get unlocked until the latter half of the game; for awhile i was worried that i was gonna have to double back and re-do any base i hadn't gotten all the base tokens out of yet if i was gonna squeeze out enough to keep unlocking suits and whatnot but then act 3 rolled around and now i have a buttload of new bases to do

e: also if you do enough side-content early on you can get in a situation where you need challenge tokens to unlock new stuff but you haven't unlocked challenges yet; just beeline the story and it'll eventually point you towards them

One thing I really like about the game is that it not only tells you to go off and do side missions and other non-story content but the story accommodates it. The story has things that need to be checked out or investigated but the game often gives you a short break between main missions because you're waiting to hear back from somebody. It's not the typical game where you feel the main character shouldn't be stopping to smell the roses when there are very serious and urgent matters to attend to.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The short breaks it has given me so far have all been extremely short, like "don't even make it to a side event before it tells me to go do the story again" type short. :saddowns:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zaodai posted:

The short breaks it has given me so far have all been extremely short, like "don't even make it to a side event before it tells me to go do the story again" type short. :saddowns:

from what i can tell it wants you to do exactly 1 thing, be it a side quest or an enemy base or even just stopping a rando crime on the streets and then it'll drop you the next thing to do in the main quest

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is there a way to tell when more of the puzzles have unlocked at Octavius' lab without just going there and checking?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
It's possible to have done every bit of side content and still run into one of those breaks, so if that happens, just replay any of them and it'll move it along.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zaodai posted:

The breaks can never be the perfect length to satisfy people who power through the story and people who need to be completionists every step of the way (plus everyone in between) but I appreciate the pretense that you've got time to spare between main events. Even a little wiggle room is enough where I go "yeah, let's say it took a while for MJ to call back and I had enough time to play pigeon catcher".

It's better than the old Spider-Man 2 system where you had to earn "Hero Points" by doing side stuff in order to unlock the next main mission. Mandatory fun isn't quite the same.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I think the article for Pillars of Eternity 2 is good and succinct! I just have one question and one addition:

question: Is Soul Whip still broken as gently caress with shotguns? In PoE1, each pellet would proc the Focus recovery effect, and that was powerful as hell.

add: Multiclass characters can only reach tier 7 skills (out of 9).

I recommend it for addition because at character creation, the game tells you that your final potential in each class is lower, but it doesn't specify by how much.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 23, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chief Savage Man posted:

It's possible to have done every bit of side content and still run into one of those breaks, so if that happens, just replay any of them and it'll move it along.

I had several situations early/mid-game where it just auto-progressed almost immediately to the next trigger event because I'd done a LOT of collectibles and side-content.

dao Jones
Jul 17, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have advice for starting out in Rise to Ruin? It seems like it could be fun, but even with the many tool tips, I'm feeling a little lost in my first game, even just on basic stuff like how to direct workers to tasks.

It's been a few months since I played, but unless something has changed drastically (which is possible, as it's in development) my advice should hold.

At start, all of your people are builders (in blue). To get them to build something, place a building and then make sure you have some relevant resources "painted" with the resource harvesting option (little circles will appear on the forest/stone). They will chop the trees/mine the stone themselves.

In general you can't exactly direct your lemmings on tasks; you just allocate how many of a particular type of worker you want by clicking the plus/minus buttons available by clicking a relevant building. Then, so long as they have things to do, they will go about their business. Make sure you designate some wild food for your farmers, they will haul it back to the farms.

Labor is always in short supply, but I recommend making some roads (I think it's called the waymaker's shack?). The first level of paths don't cost any resources and will help everyone move faster

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Pillars of Eternity 2? For what it's worth, I played 1 but haven't really kept up with 2's patches, balance changes and so on. If relevant: planning to roll a monk.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This is less about the standard game and more for you if you dislike replaying games with multiple classes just to get some extra lines of specific dialogue here and there: the game allows free multiclassing, but will only give you access to two at a time. Pretty standard D&D stuff. Well, it turns out, this is an artificial limitation, not an engine limitation. If you're willing to use a Cheat Engine table or a comparable mod, it's perfectly possible to start a character with access to every class.

You'll never have enough ability points to make use of most of them, so it's less of a balance breaker than it seems, but you'll still get to see all the class-specific dialogue trees on a single run-through. It has spared me a lot of annoying and repetitive effort.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like "use cheat engine to create a freakish Frankenstein character to subvert the dialogue choice system" is maybe a bit outside the remit of intro tips everyone should know

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it's something I wish I had known before I invested my first few hours into it, so I figure it counts. Kinda.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I agree with Cardio, I hate missing dialogue in RPGs.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have advice for starting out in Rise to Ruin? It seems like it could be fun, but even with the many tool tips, I'm feeling a little lost in my first game, even just on basic stuff like how to direct workers to tasks.

- Workers put into a resource collection job will do that job at a faster rate than pure builders, but that also means that if you aren't desparate for the bonus you can delay making the resource collecting places for a few days and focusing on just builders.
- Everything except fences needs building slots to make them, fence gates included. You get more by upgrading the town center or by building auxiliaries. Don't pop out tons of the same building for that reason.
- Personal preference but stone is harder to come across than wood so rely on bow towers and wood golems for defense. They are cheap and renewable.
- Occasionally you will find glowing rings on the ground, click them repeatedly and they will drop either a chest or a key. Combine the two and you will get a pile of goodies. You can move the key but the box will only teleport if you click it again.
- The grabbing God power is very good at the start. You can use it to pull useable resources out of the trees without a pawn, drop already mined resources onto buildings to add them to the building's inventory, and throw monsters into ancient cullis gates to kill them instantly. Latter is good for surviving the first few nights before you get proper defenses up.
- Other good God powers for early game
* Summon Holy Golem: Instant point defense
* Lumination (sp?): Cheaply lights up large area of the map, helps cut down on number of campfires you need to put up (since those take up building slots)
* Rejuvination (sp?): Good essence dump, advances the grow cycle of trees and plants.
- Small radiance pools can be found around the map, already put together. these are magic batteries that can recharge your Essence when you hover over them.
- The overlays has a "blocking map" that shows all the impassible areas around the camp. This is awesome for seeing when a tree in the middle of a narrow path will properly block monsters or not.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 25, 2018

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Thanks for all the Rise to Ruins advice. Much appreciated.

One very specific question. In my game, early on, there was some kind of magic chest bouncing around near my camp. It seemed I could pick it up with the god hand thing, but not open it. What do I do with such a chest?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks for all the Rise to Ruins advice. Much appreciated.

One very specific question. In my game, early on, there was some kind of magic chest bouncing around near my camp. It seemed I could pick it up with the god hand thing, but not open it. What do I do with such a chest?

That's probably the magic circle chest I mentioned above. You have to find a key (probably dropped by a magic circle in the grass) and then grab-drop it onto the chest to open it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I got caught up in Terraria again. God, is the wiki entry out of date. I'm gonna go at it with a hacksaw some time tonight or tomorrow, I think.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it's something I wish I had known before I invested my first few hours into it, so I figure it counts. Kinda.
If it's anything like Pillars 1, I'll be doing replaying alright. Thanks anyway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No problem. Maybe it'll be helpful to someone else.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Any protips for starting out in Let It Die? Most of what I've heard thus far boils down to:

- Level fists and hammers first
- Don't spend death metals or other limited currency on stupid BS
- Level a couple of guys in tandem, so you're never stuck on a long grindfest to retrieve a body

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Omi no Kami posted:

Any protips for starting out in Let It Die? Most of what I've heard thus far boils down to:

- Level fists and hammers first
- Don't spend death metals or other limited currency on stupid BS
- Level a couple of guys in tandem, so you're never stuck on a long grindfest to retrieve a body
The Before I Play entry is basically just my tips, from back when. I've since beaten the game and made it to 50F, putting hundreds of hours in as well. The game metastructures have changed in the nearly 2 years since initial release, but the basics still hold true.

Daily logins and time-limited quests/events are still the best way to get money and materials. The asynchronous """multiplayer""" no has no real downsides to participation. If you can score at least one victory during a battle you'll get a nice reward of coin and splithium when it ends, and if you do really well you'll get some death metal too.

I'd say the bats are the better starting melee weapons (for the combo) or else machetes, but you definitely will want to get your fists all mastered first and foremost. You'll also want to start working on blueprints ASAP as weapons you find are really low durability and weapons you research then buy start out full strength/durability.

Another thing: the tower map has 4 variations which rotate every day. The "news" section when you start the game will say what the special features are of the particular rotation that day. The two best rotations are a) the one where F11 Okusa has guaranteed golden snails (i.e. send your coloured fighters on expeditions to that floor and they bring them back). Golden snails sell for a lot of coin or else can be eaten/smashed for a lot of EXP. The other b) is the one with Yokiyoshi and whatever the 3F side floor is called - they have guaranteed wandering merchants where you can buy resources to research/upgrade your weapons/gear.

If you or anyone else has any further questions we do have a somewhat defunct thread but I'd also be happy to help. It's a tough game at first but once you get rolling there's never a need to go with IAP if you find the basic gameplay loops fun (I did).

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Uptime Sinclair posted:

The Before I Play entry is basically just my tips, from back when. I've since beaten the game and made it to 50F, putting hundreds of hours in as well. The game metastructures have changed in the nearly 2 years since initial release, but the basics still hold true.

Daily logins and time-limited quests/events are still the best way to get money and materials. The asynchronous """multiplayer""" no has no real downsides to participation. If you can score at least one victory during a battle you'll get a nice reward of coin and splithium when it ends, and if you do really well you'll get some death metal too.

I'd say the bats are the better starting melee weapons (for the combo) or else machetes, but you definitely will want to get your fists all mastered first and foremost. You'll also want to start working on blueprints ASAP as weapons you find are really low durability and weapons you research then buy start out full strength/durability.

Another thing: the tower map has 4 variations which rotate every day. The "news" section when you start the game will say what the special features are of the particular rotation that day. The two best rotations are a) the one where F11 Okusa has guaranteed golden snails (i.e. send your coloured fighters on expeditions to that floor and they bring them back). Golden snails sell for a lot of coin or else can be eaten/smashed for a lot of EXP. The other b) is the one with Yokiyoshi and whatever the 3F side floor is called - they have guaranteed wandering merchants where you can buy resources to research/upgrade your weapons/gear.

If you or anyone else has any further questions we do have a somewhat defunct thread but I'd also be happy to help. It's a tough game at first but once you get rolling there's never a need to go with IAP if you find the basic gameplay loops fun (I did).

That's super-duper useful, thanks! If you don't mind, I have a few slightly better questions now that I've played for a bit:

What should you save/use death metal for? I'm pondering blowing the 4 you start with on 20 more storage spaces in the waiting room, just because the phrases "crafting system" and "20 storage slots" sound really ominous when paired together.

Is the roll/dodge actually useful? I've found some guides that swear by it, and others which claim most enemies can be avoided just as consistently by backing away at your normal walk speed.

I've been super-cowardly in combat: my entire play style is based around slowly kiting enemies backwards, baiting an attack, then swinging until they recover. Is that about right, or should I be trying much harder to sustain aggression with close-in dodges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Omi no Kami posted:

That's super-duper useful, thanks! If you don't mind, I have a few slightly better questions now that I've played for a bit:

What should you save/use death metal for? I'm pondering blowing the 4 you start with on 20 more storage spaces in the waiting room, just because the phrases "crafting system" and "20 storage slots" sound really ominous when paired together.

Is the roll/dodge actually useful? I've found some guides that swear by it, and others which claim most enemies can be avoided just as consistently by backing away at your normal walk speed.

I've been super-cowardly in combat: my entire play style is based around slowly kiting enemies backwards, baiting an attack, then swinging until they recover. Is that about right, or should I be trying much harder to sustain aggression with close-in dodges?
1) Keep one or two DMs for last-ditch continue efforts for when you’re on a run reaching to unlock the next elevator stop. Otherwise first use them to expand your item freezer. Once you max that out at 1000, they’re best used in the vending machine near the research station/shop and freezer to buy crafting materials (cycles daily).

2) Dodging is handy later when you have sniper/assault rifle enemies and the like, or bosses. Watch your stamina so you don’t become a sitting duck. Blocking/parrying on the other hand I never used.

3) That strategy is fine at first until you get your gear going, and will continue to be useful against haters/hunters (non-white text enemies). With the latter they will sometimes utterly outclass you with buckwild gear so sometimes you just gotta run, using rage moves or mushrooms to give you a window.