Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

I was juts listening to a thing on CBC Radio about the wealth transfer from Boomers to their kids, specifically about cottages and how they were going to cause massive family fights in the near future.

They had a guy on talking about how he and his siblings divided up their parent's cottage. 2 of the 5 didn't want to go in with their siblings, 1 because they thought it would cause infighting, the other because they thought it was a bad use of money.

The other three bought them out, you could sense the perilous financial situation from the way the guy was talking haha

That's nothing, a lawyer friend mentioned having to deal with an estate where the cottage was divvied up 24 different ways and there was no agreement on who would get the property or how to sell it because everyone hated each other.

This isn't nothing new though, farm property in estates in Ontario and Quebec historically had always been divvied up however many ways and anyone who wanted to continue farming had to buy out all their siblings which could be prohibitively expensive. That's changed somewhat over the last 60-70 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

I was juts listening to a thing on CBC Radio about the wealth transfer from Boomers to their kids, specifically about cottages and how they were going to cause massive family fights in the near future.

They had a guy on talking about how he and his siblings divided up their parent's cottage. 2 of the 5 didn't want to go in with their siblings, 1 because they thought it would cause infighting, the other because they thought it was a bad use of money.

The other three bought them out, you could sense the perilous financial situation from the way the guy was talking haha

Of the 3 that went in, one got 3/5ths and the other two a paltry 1/5th each. I'm not talking about real estate valuations, they invested into the capital gain taxes owed :owned:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Professor Shark posted:

My wife's uncle bought his siblings out on some cottage a couple years ago.

The guy is like 60 years old and retired, and is now stressed out about paying for this cottage. Every time we see him, he brings up how they're worried about money

I don't understand boomers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

triplexpac posted:

My wife's uncle bought his siblings out on some cottage a couple years ago.

The guy is like 60 years old and retired, and is now stressed out about paying for this cottage. Every time we see him, he brings up how they're worried about money

I don't understand boomers.

This is every middle class cabin/2nd home owning boomer I've ever known. They act so hard done by because "so the authority where our cabin is, they're forcing everyone to pay 4,000 to redo the gravel roads!!" or "my sail boat's motor has been hosed since last summer and the parts I need to fix it are too expensive and besides the whole thing needs to be painted too but the city owned dock fees keep going up!!"

They are entitled to these 2nd homes and boats, it's the government that keeps taxing them to death and crushing their abilities to enjoy the things they deserve. Oh also they'll be a 60 year old couple living in a massive 5br house worth over 2 million but can't possibly downsize in order to have funds to actually enjoy their 2nd home or boat.

\/ They also get extremely upset at the government for daring to increase their taxes on assets that have hugely appreciated in value. "I bought that cabin for 40k in 1990, now it's worth 150k and the government wants more taxes?!"

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 22, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Ongoing cost of ownership? What's that? I should be able to buy a $500,000 cottage and never have to pay a cent again!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mo' cottage, mo' problems.

No cottage, no problems. :smug:

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Do you have a link? Sadly my family is going through the exact same thing right now (with even more complications, because the asset in question is a primary residence) and I'd like to share it with my parents.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Baronjutter posted:

\/ They also get extremely upset at the government for daring to increase their taxes on assets that have hugely appreciated in value. "I bought that cabin for 40k in 1990, now it's worth 150k and the government wants more taxes?!"

I know a couple like that. A retired carpenter, he built a big addition, gazebo, 3 car garage with loft and another 2 car sized storage building. All log construction to match the cottage. He moved in there full time and sent out a letter to the cottage association outraged that their 20k cabin was now being assessed at 450k and we should all protest as a group or something.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Realtors in Langley pose as genuinely interested married couple to acquire houses to flip

http://globalnews.ca/news/2778584/couple-who-urged-langley-homeowners-to-sell-fail-to-mention-theyre-realtors/

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

blah_blah posted:

Do you have a link? Sadly my family is going through the exact same thing right now (with even more complications, because the asset in question is a primary residence) and I'd like to share it with my parents.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...apart-1.3646954

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Realtors in Langley pose as genuinely interested married couple to acquire houses to flip

http://globalnews.ca/news/2778584/couple-who-urged-langley-homeowners-to-sell-fail-to-mention-theyre-realtors/

Jesus loving Christ lol

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Well I don't think anything in that letter is factually inaccurate, I mean you can be a married couple and a realtor. Just as long as you include a picture showing how white you are it's no issue.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Well I don't think anything in that letter is factually inaccurate, I mean you can be a married couple and a realtor. Just as long as you include a picture showing how white you are it's no issue.

Neither of their names are very Old Stock Canadian :colbert:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Throatwarbler posted:

They have to disclose they're realtors according to the real estate board. They're already being investigated.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Who's getting "scammed"? The moron who sells their house five to six figures below market value because they think they're selling it to a nice white couple or to preserve the character of the neighbourhood? I'm all for this poo poo.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Foreign Investors :bahgawd:

My girlfriends parents own a cottage that hopefully at some point down the road that hopefully we inherit. Paying property taxes and transfer are one thing, but NDP in Manitoba were looking at raising property taxes on cottages to at least 5x more than what a similar costed probably would be in the city to raise more money.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baronjutter posted:

This is every middle class cabin/2nd home owning boomer I've ever known. They act so hard done by because "so the authority where our cabin is, they're forcing everyone to pay 4,000 to redo the gravel roads!!" or "my sail boat's motor has been hosed since last summer and the parts I need to fix it are too expensive and besides the whole thing needs to be painted too but the city owned dock fees keep going up!!"

They are entitled to these 2nd homes and boats, it's the government that keeps taxing them to death and crushing their abilities to enjoy the things they deserve. Oh also they'll be a 60 year old couple living in a massive 5br house worth over 2 million but can't possibly downsize in order to have funds to actually enjoy their 2nd home or boat.

It's funny you mention boats, I was having a great discussion about economic decline on the weekend and hit on the notion that really there's no better example of when poo poo imploded than the gutting of the yacht market in the early 1990's. Post-WWII owning a boat wasn't even a luxury, it was pretty fuckin' affordable everywhere in North America and Europe. The Curve of Time is a classic of BC Literature (highly recommend it, a fantastic window into the culture this province has lost). From the 60's through the 80's, with the perfection of the fiberglass hull, it became cheap, like stupidly cheap. You could own a gorgeous bluewater sailing vessel which would take you anywhere on earth for less than two years salary, and the cost to dock it anywhere was peanuts. Boat manufacturing boomed for nearly three decades. You wanted to mess around with boats? It was as cheap as a hot car.

Then they all went bankrupt in the 1990's when things dived economically. Marina fees became exorbitant, the market was glutted with used vessels, and most importantly wages had declined so steadily that it was simply no longer affordable to anyone but the upper middle class and the wealthy. :colbert:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DariusLikewise posted:

NDP in Manitoba were looking at raising property taxes on cottages to at least 5x more than what a similar costed probably would be in the city to raise more money.

Luxury taxes are a good way to go.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My mom really wants a loving float home. They're house sitting one right now and she's gunning for it even harder now. She has decades of pent-up nostalgia from growing up in Deep Cove and rowing her little dinghy around. And that's great and all but

1) they cost almost as much as a real house, but probably more vulnerable to a price collapse because they don't come with any land.
2) It's cold and humid and there's bugs because it's in a literal swamp.
3) You have to drive to get anywhere. No more walking to the bus loop, or cycling to the rowing club.
4) Motor boats are expensive as gently caress and obviously they'll want a motor boat to go with their barge house.
5) Probably after a couple months she'll realize how much she misses her garden. By that time whoever buys their old house will have it all torn up and ruined and it will now be worth a round million instead of 3/4.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

It's funny you mention boats, I was having a great discussion about economic decline on the weekend and hit on the notion that really there's no better example of when poo poo imploded than the gutting of the yacht market in the early 1990's. Post-WWII owning a boat wasn't even a luxury, it was pretty fuckin' affordable everywhere in North America and Europe. The Curve of Time is a classic of BC Literature (highly recommend it, a fantastic window into the culture this province has lost). From the 60's through the 80's, with the perfection of the fiberglass hull, it became cheap, like stupidly cheap. You could own a gorgeous bluewater sailing vessel which would take you anywhere on earth for less than two years salary, and the cost to dock it anywhere was peanuts. Boat manufacturing boomed for nearly three decades. You wanted to mess around with boats? It was as cheap as a hot car.

Then they all went bankrupt in the 1990's when things dived economically. Marina fees became exorbitant, the market was glutted with used vessels, and most importantly wages had declined so steadily that it was simply no longer affordable to anyone but the upper middle class and the wealthy. :colbert:

The worst part is all this awesome hardware is rotting away on trailers / stands because people go 'I KNOW WHAT THIS IS WORTH' and refuse to come down on price on anything and would rather let it fall apart.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Luxury taxes are a good way to go.

There's a fair way to do it without hiking fees from $1600 one year to $9000 the year after

Especially for cottages that get literally get no services provided by the government

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DariusLikewise posted:

There's a fair way to do it without hiking fees from $1600 one year to $9000 the year after

Especially for cottages that get literally get no services provided by the government

Who cares that they don't get services? Neither does jewelry, it's still a luxury item. Tax the heck out of it.

Phasing in a fee increase is the usual thing, did they actually propose it happen overnight?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

There's a house on my childhood street listed for $4.7 million. Sigh. My parents bought there in 1987 for $230k.

http://www.rew.ca/properties/R2076700/903-wentworth-avenue-north-vancouver?direction=asc&sort=price&page=1&property_search=399377786

We used to play street hockey every day and have regular block parties. Pretty sure that doesn't happen anymore.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We used to play street hockey every day and have regular block parties. Pretty sure that doesn't happen anymore.

Why not?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

The worst part is all this awesome hardware is rotting away on trailers / stands because people go 'I KNOW WHAT THIS IS WORTH' and refuse to come down on price on anything and would rather let it fall apart.

There's a more middle-middle class neighbourhood near where I live that I often walk through to get to my parents upper/rich neighbourhood and something that stuck out was the amount of huge boats on trailers for sale on poeple's driveways. Decayed and sitting for sale for years, moss growing all over them, still for sale.

It also seemed when I was a kid every other kid's dad had a boat. Be it a nice sail boat or a small cabin cruiser or even just a big motor boat for fishing, but there was always a friend with a boat. Now I don't know anyone with access to a boat who isn't rich and all the people who used to have boats had to sell their boats or have them sitting in their yard or driveway rotting under a tarp.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

DariusLikewise posted:

Foreign Investors :bahgawd:

My girlfriends parents own a cottage that hopefully at some point down the road that hopefully we inherit. Paying property taxes and transfer are one thing, but NDP in Manitoba were looking at raising property taxes on cottages to at least 5x more than what a similar costed probably would be in the city to raise more money.
Property tax is levied municipally. This smells like dumb redneck facebook crap. Property tax levels 5x that in the city? Come on.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

cowofwar posted:

Property tax is levied municipally. This smells like dumb redneck facebook crap. Property tax levels 5x that in the city? Come on.

They raised provincial park cottage land leases

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of "cabin country" was built on cheap undeveloped land where a few dirt roads and power poles was about all that was needed. As a lot of these areas grew into full fledged vacation towns/villages they actually started to need more infrastructure, which resulted in these places daring to ask the cabin owners to pay more. It's either all "city people" subsidize cabin country, or have just the cabin owners pay their share for all the infrastructure related to their cabins and getting to their cabins.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I can understand the negative attitudes about tax increases on cottage property. In a lot of cases it's resistance from people who basically hand built shacks in the woods and buildings and a septic pit themselves so they could have a cheap permanent little getaway they could use to go fishing/hunting/snowmobiling etc. They're now being saddled with massive property tax increases from douche bag rich folks who insisted that the dirt access road you could barely get a pickup down get widened and paved so they wouldn't get paint chips on their Mercedes.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Sorry, meant the land lease.

Subjunctive posted:

Who cares that they don't get services? Neither does jewelry, it's still a luxury item. Tax the heck out of it.

Phasing in a fee increase is the usual thing, did they actually propose it happen overnight?

The province was looking at a 10 year increase with biggest increases happening in the first 2 years. The main issue is the province hasn't increase rates in a really long time and just noticed a few years ago that it would be a great revenue driver. Everyone who owns a cottage knows and agrees the lease rates should go up, but jumping it overnight would gently caress a bunch of people over.

For the time being the government backed off on the rate increases and Pallister won't touch them. So everyone can look forward to even bigger increases 8 years from now when the NDP gets power back.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's almost like building permanent structures on leased land is a terrible idea!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
What is this lease structure? Did the province lease out a large parcel of land that is managed by some municipal authority or are they a multitude of single dwelling leases?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol this loving notion of a cabin

what the gently caress do you do at a cabin? jack off into the creek filled with mosquitos

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Throatwarbler posted:

It's almost like building permanent structures on leased land is a terrible idea!

It's so common in Ontario to lease land off native reserves to build a cottage, boggles my mind. Love stories like this

quote:

Most of the Hope Bay cottagers refuse to abandon their summer homes without a fight. Some won't even leave the inlet north of Wiarton.

A group of nine campers is summering in trailers less than a kilometre down a gravel road from the cottages they were kicked out of at the end of 2006 - even though 18 months have passed since their Chippewa landlords evicted them, and a steel gate (reinforced by a court order) bars them from their waterfront cabins.
When the Chippewas of Nawash asked the Hope Bay cottagers to clear out their property in the dead of winter in early 2007, Ms. Bobo was adamant: "I did not want to take anything out. In fact, I said, 'I'm not taking one teaspoon out of my cottage.' "

But in the end, she and her family panicked, came to Canada and packed up.

Since then, the cottagers have launched their lawsuit, centred largely on the fact that the Chippewas of Nawash are claiming the empty cottages as their own.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVyDovLA2vw

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Families don't live here anymore, and if they do they don't talk to their neighbours.

edit: here's a relevant article about a district concillor who has to rent a basement suite

quote:

If demographics is everything, Mathew Bond’s age is his distinguishing feature. Bond is unlucky enough to be 32. A councillor with the District of North Vancouver, he is the youngest member of the district council by a comfortable margin.

Outside of his council duties, he is a transportation systems engineer. His wife, Michelle, works in the movie industry. Between the two of them they earn a good income.

Yet Bond, his wife and their 15-month-old baby girl, Wilhelmina, live in a rented one-bedroom basement suite in Lynn Valley.

“We pay $1,000 a month,” Bond said. “It’s a smokin’ deal. We only have one window, though, so it comes at a price.”

They would like something less subterranean. But as are many couples their age, Bond and his wife are victims of exquisitely bad timing. They are of that generation where the rise of the real estate market has outstripped their ability to save for a down payment.

“When we did move over here, we were looking at houses as well. At that point in our lives, we were just out of school and getting our careers established and looking at student loans we had to pay off, and we figured that would take us about four years.”

Because they were planning on having another child they wanted something with three bedrooms.

“So at that time, we were looking at houses in Lynn Valley that were $800,000 fixer-uppers, and I’m a bit of a handyman, and we thought we could save up for a down payment for five years, and then we could fix it up ourselves and that would be good. But today, that $800,000 in Lynn Valley will only get you a two-bedroom apartment. And now a three-bedroom apartment down the street is a million bucks. So our expectations have definitely changed.”

They became resigned to not owning a single-family home.

“And even if we do come up with $200,000 or $250,000 for a down payment, we were probably going to be saddled with a million-dollar mortgage pretty much for the next 25 years and committing ourselves to working 80 hours a week. And that’s not how we want to raise a family.”

His housing difficulties began to inform his politics. Bond has become the unofficial voice for a generation — on the North Shore, at least — that can no longer afford to own a home there.

“One goal that I had when I ran for council was to provide a different perspective. In looking at previous councils, I saw a lot of people not under the age of 40, that didn’t necessarily have a background in transportation and urban studies. (In addition to his engineering degree, Bond has his certificate in sustainable urban development.)

“So I didn’t see someone that was speaking on behalf of people under 40, of families with younger kids that didn’t already own their own homes. There’s a lot of people less fortunate than myself that must be having a heck of a lot harder time than myself, and we need to look out for them and make our policies supportive of those people.”

To him, housing affordability is more than just a generational issue. It’s also one of densification. He estimates that 60 to 65 per cent of the district is still comprised of single-family homes, a preponderance that has created housing stock most people can no longer afford. Blue-collar and middle-class families have been priced out, and with them the service people that make a city go. Meanwhile, Bond said, the district’s population has stagnated for the last 15 years. According to BC Stats, he said, it was 85,000 in 2001: it’s 85,000 in 2016.

So while an older generation resists change that could affect traffic and services, and impact the bucolic quality of their neighbourhoods, their resistance — which Bond said he completely understands and sympathizes with — has unintended consequences for a younger generation.

“It’s going to be my kids and their kids affected, and so the question is, is the way our community being currently developed going to provide them the same opportunities that it did to the people who moved here 30 years ago?

“My answer to the question is: If we don’t do anything, there’s consequences to trying to stay the same.”

He’d like to see the district consider much more different and denser forms of housing to accommodate a younger generation of families — two- and three-bedroom apartments and condos, townhomes and row houses, co-ops and, as he and Michele are considering, co-housing. Co-housing — several examples of which exist in Metro Vancouver — is a group, self-financed form of housing where families share facilities like a common kitchen, playground or laundry rooms.

“It’s basically a group of families that get together and develop a townhouse project for themselves, and there’s some principles about things like shared common space and more of a community living feeling, so you get to meet and know your neighbours before you move in.”

The irony of this? Bond’s co-housing group is still looking for a development site. Given the cost of real estate, they may end up locating outside the district.

Bond would have to move out of the very constituency he was elected to serve.

http://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/pete-mcmartin-north-van-councillor-bonds-homeowner-hopes-instead-a-licence-to-chill

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 22, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

namaste faggots posted:

lol this loving notion of a cabin

what the gently caress do you do at a cabin? jack off into the creek filled with mosquitos

From what I hear from friends in Ontario:
-Get off work early on friday and quickly jump in the car you packed with supplies the night before and race out to your cabin which is a few hours out of the city in good traffic
-Get stuck in horrific traffic because everyone else is doing the same thing as you and no one wants to pay for bigger roads to cabin country
-Sit around in their cabin doing exactly what they'd be doing at home in the city but with a different view out the window
-Maybe paddle a canoe or something out on a lake or sit outside but probably not because they're exhausted and stressed from getting there and just want to relax and moving the canoe to the lake is too much work
-Pack up and drive home in horrible traffic
-Complain how expensive and stressful it is to keep their cabin

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

They still do block parties.

At least here they do...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

There's a house on my childhood street listed for $4.7 million. Sigh. My parents bought there in 1987 for $230k.

http://www.rew.ca/properties/R2076700/903-wentworth-avenue-north-vancouver?direction=asc&sort=price&page=1&property_search=399377786

:(:hf::( Sup mosquito creek buddy. I can't imagine what going to Handsworth must be like now.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.

Baronjutter posted:

From what I hear from friends in Ontario:
-Get off work early on friday and quickly jump in the car you packed with supplies the night before and race out to your cabin which is a few hours out of the city in good traffic
-Get stuck in horrific traffic because everyone else is doing the same thing as you and no one wants to pay for bigger roads to cabin country
-Sit around in their cabin doing exactly what they'd be doing at home in the city but with a different view out the window
-Maybe paddle a canoe or something out on a lake or sit outside but probably not because they're exhausted and stressed from getting there and just want to relax and moving the canoe to the lake is too much work
-Pack up and drive home in horrible traffic
-Complain how expensive and stressful it is to keep their cabin

And don't forget using all of your allotted 2 weeks vacation time to go there in the gym-shorts humid middle of summer, where you still get to cook, clean and look after your screaming, mosquito bitten children. But hey, at least for a few scant days you get to pretend you're "outdoorsy" which is something Canadians attach a weirdly huge amount of importance to.

peter banana fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quaint bucket posted:

They still do block parties.

At least here they do...

Yeah, the street my new house is on was full of people wandering around with food and kids chasing each other through the lawns when I visited it for measurements. Looking forward to it.