Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

So let me get this straight: You lose Defender of the Faith if you lose -any- war, even when sided for/against non-believers, and even when answering as call to arms as a non-co-belligerent non-believers?

That's not true at all. You only lose the title if you refuse the call to arms as defender of the faith (the popup will specifically say what the CTA is for), or if you lose the specific war that you were called into as defender of the faith. No other wars matter.

Also if you're losing a defender of the faith war, you can white peace out and keep the title, even if the country being attacked gets destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Huh, well thanks. Like I said: got call to arms by timurids, then after I cleaned up their territory they ended the war with a peace ceding some provinces. Myself and my march are the only coptics according to ledger. I guess I'll go report it as a bug.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Can you share a screenshot of your map, particularly what you can see of the Caucasia region? I think I have an idea of what happened.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Sure will do when I get home in about an hour. For the record though: Armenia isn't in play iirc. Armenia was released earlier by Ottomans I -think- though Qara or Ottomans gobbled them back up again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

Huh, well thanks. Like I said: got call to arms by timurids, then after I cleaned up their territory they ended the war with a peace ceding some provinces. Myself and my march are the only coptics according to ledger. I guess I'll go report it as a bug.

It sounds like you were called in to defend a Coptic country (ally or not), but the war was lost. You're supposed to lose defender of the faith in those circumstances

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dang that's what I thought it might be. It's still possible that some other small country in the region got taken over by coptic rebels, got higher prestige than you, and then usurped the title from you.

My only other theory, however unlikely, is that the Timurids got taken over by coptic rebels.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

So I'm not playing Ironman mode here, since I'm pretty new at a lot of this stuff and finding out how some of these rules work sometimes demands a reset. In this case, it makes it easy to isolate.

So here I am. Defender of the Faith.

King is like 55 years old

there's only 2 coptic countries in the ledger (Myself and my march Maradra-whatever)

Here's the war. I'm a defensive call-to-arms non-belligerant:

The Map:

The date is 22 July 1542. Now going to let the game roll forward to...

12 January 1543:

I lose my Defender of the Faith right after "losing" this war. :confused:

Oh, unrelated, but: EAT 63 DAY SIEGE PHASES MOTHERFUCKER

Edit:

Yeah, this siege phase defensiveness thing seems to work.

I just kind of let this run to see what would happen:

That's after.... 4 years and not being the main war target? I can see why they nerfed Scorched Earth's effect on attrition I guess.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 23, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Koramei posted:

Nothing's locked out without DLC like in CK2,

Except for Colonial Nations, right? These require Conquest of Paradise IIRC. But no-one really cares about playing them so it's kind a moot point.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Is it likely there are going to be anymore 75% off dlc sales or is 50% the best to hope for now?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Crack posted:

Is it likely there are going to be anymore 75% off dlc sales or is 50% the best to hope for now?

I've seen 65% fairly recently, haven't seen 75% for ages.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

So I'm not playing Ironman mode here, since I'm pretty new at a lot of this stuff and finding out how some of these rules work sometimes demands a reset. In this case, it makes it easy to isolate.

So here I am. Defender of the Faith.

King is like 55 years old

there's only 2 coptic countries in the ledger (Myself and my march Maradra-whatever)

Here's the war. I'm a defensive call-to-arms non-belligerant:

The Map:

The date is 22 July 1542. Now going to let the game roll forward to...

12 January 1543:

I lose my Defender of the Faith right after "losing" this war. :confused:

Oh, unrelated, but: EAT 63 DAY SIEGE PHASES MOTHERFUCKER

Edit:

Yeah, this siege phase defensiveness thing seems to work.

I just kind of let this run to see what would happen:

That's after.... 4 years and not being the main war target? I can see why they nerfed Scorched Earth's effect on attrition I guess.

Medri Bahri is a Coptic nation. You and Medri Bahri are both allied to Timurids, so the game is treating the lost war as your inability to defend a coptic nation, even though neither of you were the war target

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Medri Bahri is a Coptic nation. You and Medri Bahri are both allied to Timurids, so the game is treating the lost war as your inability to defend a coptic nation, even though neither of you were the war target

It doesn't work that way. He was called into the war by the Timurids as a normal ally, not as DOTF. It would only make sense if Multan declared war on Medri Bahri, and they called Ethiopia in as DOTF (which wouldn't happen anyway because Medri Bahri is Ethiopia's vassal). I can't think of any plausible explanation so it's probably a bug.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

It doesn't work that way. He was called into the war by the Timurids as a normal ally, not as DOTF. It would only make sense if Multan declared war on Medri Bahri, and they called Ethiopia in as DOTF (which wouldn't happen anyway because Medri Bahri is Ethiopia's vassal). I can't think of any plausible explanation so it's probably a bug.

I'm not saying that he was called in as DOTF; I'm saying that the game probably just checks if A) the player is defender of the faith and B) the player loses a war with a same-faith ally against a different-faith opponent. And obviously it does work this way, see the provided screenshots.

The DOTF call to arms is just to get you into wars and isn't being checked when a peace is negotiated; all that's checked there is the religions of the victors and losers. I think that this is reasonable; you were unable to defend your same-faith ally (whether they were co-belligerent or not), so the same-faith nations loses trust in your ability to act as the Defender of the Faith.

e: Put another way, if you wanted DOTF to be modeled more realistically it should probably be lost if the player loses a war against any heathen/heretic nation.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 24, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, but Medri Bahri nor any other coptic nation lost anything in the war, so that's dumb.

It's even dumber when you realize you can just white peace out of a losing war and let the country that called you in get destroyed, and still keep the DOTF title.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, but Medri Bahri nor any other coptic nation lost anything in the war, so that's dumb.

It's even dumber when you realize you can just white peace out of a losing war and let the country that called you in get destroyed, and still keep the DOTF title.

Medri Bahri lost Prestige.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

If the system actually works where if I have a same-religion subject (who is automatically drafted into any wars that I go into), and I respond to a call-to-arms for a different-religion ally, and that ally loses, thus triggering a DotF loss for the subject... however if I had no subject and answered the same call to arms and ally lost, which wouldn't trigger the DotF... again, I call capricious rule bullshit and that's not a useful trade, as it adds needless complexity without achieving any depth.

I can see some reasoning in your suggestion that losing wars to a heretic/heathen should lose you DotF (for "mah realism"), though that would drastically reduce its value, and I'd say 500 ducats is a lot for that. I'm a fan of rules consistency.

I -should- have a save before the war. I can probably test if this is the issue. Thanks everyone for trying to figure this out :thumbsup:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

I -should- have a save before the war. I can probably test if this is the issue. Thanks everyone for trying to figure this out :thumbsup:

I actually tried to reproduce this using console commands and got the same result. I started as Wallachia and made Bosnia into my vassal, allied with Candar, and then claimed DOTF. Then I tag switched to the Ottomans and declared war on Candar. Wallachia was called into the war as a normal ally, and Bosnia as their vassal. I even switched back to Wallachia to check, and the CTA said nothing about DOTF. Then I won the war as the Ottos and annexed Candar. When I switched back to Wallachia, they were no longer DOTF.

So really the question is whether it's WAD or not.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

If the system actually works where if I have a same-religion subject (who is automatically drafted into any wars that I go into), and I respond to a call-to-arms for a different-religion ally, and that ally loses, thus triggering a DotF loss for the subject... however if I had no subject and answered the same call to arms and ally lost, which wouldn't trigger the DotF... again, I call capricious rule bullshit and that's not a useful trade, as it adds needless complexity without achieving any depth.

I can see some reasoning in your suggestion that losing wars to a heretic/heathen should lose you DotF (for "mah realism"), though that would drastically reduce its value, and I'd say 500 ducats is a lot for that. I'm a fan of rules consistency.

Reading up a little more (because I don't usually take DOTF, and when I do I'm in such a dominant position that losing wars is unlikely) apparently losing any war will cause you to lose the DOTF title. That seems like the most consistent result possible

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is there a way to turn off the day/night thing going on in the winter months. it makes everything so ugly

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, I've tested it further. -any- loss, even if called to arms without a same-religion subject, even if the ally is not the religion, causes you to lose it. Even if you engage in a conquest war, not a holy war, and lose to either one of the same faith, heathen, or heretic, you also lose the title. Any Loss period. Going to update the wiki with a note to make this crystal clear. Thanks again guys.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 24, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

oddium posted:

is there a way to turn off the day/night thing going on in the winter months. it makes everything so ugly

I think it's seasons.

This mod is a 50% reduction, but optionally lets you turn it off all together.

EDIT: Looks like it's not updated for the latest version, but I bet it'll work anyway.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
About to finish my first Mughals run. It's a fun nation once formed, but I did draw an unlucky diplomacy setting. France played a colonial game so they hated me from early on because they wanted sweet Indian provinces. Poland did not form the Commonwealth, so Ottomans and Russia grew -really- fast while I was still trying to hold Timurids together. I allied with Ottomans to stay alive, but they kept calling me to tons of wars with Russia, which was good as it weakened them but also spent my cash and manpower for crap land.

In the end, I was never able to betray and backstab Ottomans as I wished; they were just too strong and I had no allies worth a crap. Managed to grab all the way to St. Petesburg and Archangelsk, Cairo (but no Mediterranean provinces), the whole horn of Africa, India, and bits of Vietnam.

Can't help but feel I could have achieved more. Kept getting crap rulers (seems ever 4/6/5 heir died in the crib) with weak claims, too, which kept my legitimacy low for a good chunk of the game. I do miss spending papal power to boost Stability/mercantilism/legitimacy!

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

Going for World conquest in ironman + lucky nations modifier.

Persia broke away from the Timurids before I could release as vassal, but decided to go on anyways. I went Relig -> Quanity -> Defensive then I picked up expansion as my fourth idea just to get a colonist and start taking the rest of africa as I conquer south and then to work on Asia. The hardest thing right now is the travel distance in moving troops from one front to the next. My income just exploded to +50 and my land limit is 230 I think with a recovery rate of 1800 per month. I can handle hellwars on several fronts, but then I wouldn't be conquering at a face pace.

Protestant Bohemia emerged as the victor and emperor of HRE whose been my lifelong ally. Austria lost the dutch provinces who became my ally and just started a war on France right after I just finished kicking them in the face. So I'm not worried about the current coalition, even if moscovy joined in since most of those nations have low manpower atm.

I never played this far as ottomans, so I don't know what to do. Any tips on conquering eastward and the rest of Europe? I don't have the MoH dlc so I'm not dealing with the tributary system. My plan so far is to just take the whole coastline of India and France; conquer and colonize East africa then South africa, all the way around to west africa. I'm building up a fleet of carracks and brigs in the Indian ocean side so I can space marine around for rebels/wars.

Shade2142 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 24, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the majority of your conquering won't come until around 1700. like 75-80% of the conquering is in the last 100 years. you don't need above adm tech 27 (when you get the last admin efficiency boost) or dip tech 23 (when you get imperialism + client states)

you should take admin + influence + diplo at some point and maybe ditch expansion fast

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

whooooooooooa i've never seen cossack rebels break a country and form a custom horde nation

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lol, nice flag you losers

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

whooooooooooa i've never seen cossack rebels break a country and form a custom horde nation

I've seen Bessarabia before, I think they are a revolter for some of those provinces in that area. They are a Kingdom and not a horde in the screenshot with the Eastern tech group, odd that they have that flag though...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Cossack rebels will sometimes form custom nations named for their province. Hence the wacky flag. It's pretty rare though, I've seen it happen once or twice around Azov.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've seen Bessarabia before, I think they are a revolter for some of those provinces in that area. They are a Kingdom and not a horde in the screenshot with the Eastern tech group, odd that they have that flag though...

i'm not at home to take another screen cap but they're definitely a steppe horde in the nomad tech group

e: well they're a duchy Princedom steppe horde now that i've vassalized them

that good good horde cb they can't use

ee: oh yeah i updated the ottoman flag for this coptoman run

oddium fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 24, 2017

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

On try #2 as Sweden, after getting absolutely stomped the first time. Is this one of those "reload until you get the optimal start" things? So far both times Denmark allies Muscovy, while the only ally I can get is England who was totally worthless the first time around.

Denmark is also rivaling Hungary and Bohemia; but they're both at over -1000 for supporting independence. Muscovy + Denmark + Finland is almost 100k troops while I have 18k + England. Denmark is just sitting on my border and as of 1480 has fought 1 war, which was with Muscovy to annex all of Novgorod. Thought about declaring independence then, but pretty sure they'd just walk 100k dudes into Stockholm.

So just sitting on speed 5 with fingers crossed.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

On try #2 as Sweden, after getting absolutely stomped the first time. Is this one of those "reload until you get the optimal start" things? So far both times Denmark allies Muscovy, while the only ally I can get is England who was totally worthless the first time around.

Denmark is also rivaling Hungary and Bohemia; but they're both at over -1000 for supporting independence. Muscovy + Denmark + Finland is almost 100k troops while I have 18k + England. Denmark is just sitting on my border and as of 1480 has fought 1 war, which was with Muscovy to annex all of Novgorod. Thought about declaring independence then, but pretty sure they'd just walk 100k dudes into Stockholm.

Poland, Brandenburg, and Muscovy commonly support Swedish independence. You can sometimes wangle Burgundy or France, too. e: Hungary and Bohemia are both further away.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 25, 2017

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

at the date posted:

Poland, Brandenburg, and Muscovy commonly support Swedish independence. You can sometimes wangle Burgundy, too.

Hmm, how do you get around the -1000 malus for "can't reach Denmark?"

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I've never seen that, so I don't know, sorry.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wait for Poland to attack the Teutonic Order and take some coastal provinces.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Wait for Poland to attack the Teutonic Order and take some coastal provinces.

Poland-Lithuania unfortunately got massively trashed. Not sure exactly how, but Moldavia got real big, Kiev appeared, and poland/lithuania is down to like 8 provinces total. Krakow is even an OPM :psyduck: Also Poland had the PU on Lithuania, but now they've lost it somehow.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
In that situation you're definitely going to have a hard time. Sweden doesn't require a very specific diplomatic setup to materialize, unlike your typical threatened minors, but sometimes the stars align just right to put Denmark in a strong position and ruin your chances. You got pretty unlucky here, third time's the charm!

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Do it yourself on december 14. Hopefully before Denmark gets any good allies. Build up to your force-limit with mercs (15 while in the pu, 18 a soon as you declare war). you can stack-wipe Norway in the first battle with a bit of luck. Use the forts in Elfborg and Kalmar to keep Denmark away while you take Norway. Occupy Norway, while Denmark tries to take your forts. Return when needed to drive them away from your forts, so they don't actually take them.
Dumb diplo points early on into Dalskrogen (and Bergslagen, Värmland, Närke) to finance you early on, since they produce Iron that only gets more lucrative as that game progresses and Dalskrogen has a sweet bonus modifier. And just take some loans in your war. fabricate a claim on Novgorod, so you can plunder them after your war with Denmark. As soon as you is free, Poland will most likely be open to an alliance.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Finished my Holland to Netherlands game for the achivements Je maintiendrai & Sinaasappel!, the later was a lot easier than I thought, since you can just colonize Taiwan for it. I ended up also getting the emperors new clothes and balck jack achivements, so that was nice. I created a bunch of vassals late game for Black Jack, since I ran out of states.

I restarted until both France and Austria rivaled Burgundy, and got lucky with Aragon also rivaling them. And I was able to keep all three as allies after, making the early expansion a lot easier. I didn't get much actual help from them, but they kept coalitions from declaring war on me. Eventually Austria rivaled both France and Aragon and I lost Austria as an ally, so I had to start chaining wars to avoid the unlawful territory demands.
I lucked out early and got calais after a long war with England. France called me in and I was able to take it before them and eventually make a separate peace without angering them. That meant I could invade england fairly early. And France didn't seem to care, so kept them as an ally.
I won the thirty years war, thanks to France, Ottomans and Russia joining the protestant. Then I became emperor and formed the Netherlands, so I didn't leave the empire with the decision, when I subsequently lost the emperorship, I fought a quick war and dissolved the empire to make conquering all the german minors easier.
Since I conquered England and Aragon conquered Castile, it was only me, France, scotland and Portugal that really did any colonization. Portugal kept losing theirs to natives. So in the end I had to colonize most of the new world myself. The map looks a bit weird, since I started most of my north american colonies as Holland and they don't change colour to match the Netherlands, when I formed them. I also got two colonial nations in the caribbeans, since I got an odd event where I just inherited all of Scotland, despite not having them in a PU or even being allied to them. I think it might be because I had my dynasty on their throne, but I'm not sure.
I basically had Africa and indonesia to myself. England and Portugal did have some token colonies there, but not many. France eventually wanted both my colonies and land in Europe, so they broke their alliance with me, but by then Aragon and me had encircled them and beat them in a series of wars, where I prioritized taking both land in europe and colonies, so they where never a real threat.
Denmark, Ferrara, Gascogne, Silesia, Croatia, Hungaria, Nitra and Transylvania are all my vassals. (formed most of them for the black jack achievement)

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Can you add provinces from a colonial nation to a trade company, so you can get ToT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Rapner posted:

Can you add provinces from a colonial nation to a trade company, so you can get ToT?

No

• Locked thread