Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Curzon takes Koloth to a monster truck rally to try to bridge the Klingon/Federation culture gap.

Young Picard is there flipping his poo poo over gravedigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I earnestly want to know how a relatively low-budget homage/parody of 90's Star Trek helmed by Seth MacFarlane managed to turn out to be an absolute gem of a Star Trek show.

Did someone sacrifice a goat?

Because MacFarlane understands that Trek's goofy charm is a feature not a bug.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

The new Picard series is going to be set in the alternate time line where he doesn't get stabbed through the heart.

I will never not love that he spends that whole shuttle ride explaining to Wes what it's like to be stabbed in through the back so hard the blade comes out your chest, like Wes didn't have that exact same thing happen like 3 episodes before

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

simplefish posted:

I will never not love that he spends that whole shuttle ride explaining to Wes what it's like to be stabbed in through the back so hard the blade comes out your chest, like Wes didn't have that exact same thing happen like 3 episodes before

Implying that Picard wasn't trying to force Wesley to relive his trauma for his own amusement.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I earnestly want to know how a relatively low-budget homage/parody of 90's Star Trek helmed by Seth MacFarlane managed to turn out to be an absolute gem of a Star Trek show.

Did someone sacrifice a goat?

Seth loves Star Trek, and so he made a real Star Trek show in all but name. Unlike STD which made 'Space Action Show!' and added Star Trek things so that nerds can go 'I remember that!'.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Star Trek is such an old and well known brand that it doesn't matter how lovely their product is, there will always be a demographic of people out there who will go "New Star Trek? Ooooh!" Every. Single. Time. CBS/Paramount/whoever owns this thing will keep chasing that Marvel Money until the whole nerd bubble pops or deflates or whatever.

They don't care about making a good Star Trek show, they're still embarrassed by it and don't understand what people liked about it for years and years or the circumstances that led to their prior success. They're so greedy, that even if they could replicate that -as they've often tried- it wouldn't be enough for them now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'd play an Orville MMO

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

BrandonGK posted:

But that's a fandom in it's infancy. Give it ten years and the producers will be getting rape threats on their twitter pages because a writer suggested that one of the grizzled space marines is pansexual off screen.

Probably not

Because our favorite grizzled mechanic IS pansexual. Or something. Amos is complicated as gently caress.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

MA-Horus posted:

Probably not

Because our favorite grizzled mechanic IS pansexual. Or something. Amos is complicated as gently caress.

Amos is open to savagely beating up any race, gender, or creed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Facebook Aunt posted:

I love that the shuttles literally have gamer chairs.

On the one hand it's not hard to tell that The Orville is definitely done on the cheap (at least compared to other modern space shows), on the other hand I respect the way they work within that a hell of a lot more than Disco's "lol we slipped our release date by several months because our set and costume designs were so complicated, also how many fuckin' Starfleet deltas can we pack into a single frame?"

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

On the one hand it's not hard to tell that The Orville is definitely done on the cheap (at least compared to other modern space shows), on the other hand I respect the way they work within that a hell of a lot more than Disco's "lol we slipped our release date by several months because our set and costume designs were so complicated, also how many fuckin' Starfleet deltas can we pack into a single frame?"

Buying the vintage Battlefield Earth special Tilted Cameras wasn't cheap.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I wonder how the Orville pulled it off? It's a purposeful rip off of Trek, more diverse than the current trek series with more actors of color, and I guess the "new" part is presenting it as a comedy full of dad jokes.

But most sci fi fans, this poster included, really like it and are really positive about it despite the critics pooh-poohing it.
It's because it's having fun with its concepts while also treating the material like it matters rather than just blowing everything off as a joke.

It understands that camp is necessary for good Star Trek, but that it still needs to deliver the science fiction commentary.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It has a definite sense of whimsy and wonder I haven't seen from trek since maybe season 2 of Enterprise

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Leg was the best goddamn joke I've seen in any sci-fi in a very very long time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like how pristine it was when it fell out of the ceiling, funnier with like one of those tiles you see in an office ceiling. Like it's Connolly ridiculous and makes no sense but you don't particularly care because it's really funny

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Orville being cheap as gently caress seems like all part of the charm though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Some % of fans will always be nuts, that's not a good reason to just say gently caress all the fans. :shrug:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd play an Orville MMO

Shut your dirty mouth with this they might take you seriously

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Moridin920 posted:

Shut your dirty mouth with this they might take you seriously

An Orville point and click adventure game?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Cheap sets on sci-fi shows is like a tradition. My dad used to point out all the various HVAC parts he'd see on the sets of shows like Babylon 5.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

'Sci fi with cheap sets' always sounded like an oxymoron to me. Even HVAC parts nailed to plywood and cardboard is far more expensive to design and build than just driving to an office or house for your typical soap opera or comedy

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Hell even in Star Wars they just straight up repurposed a funky-looking ice cream maker as a communications device

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

STD is not perfect but it's fine, and better than all non ds9 and Orville trek

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Trast posted:

Cheap sets on sci-fi shows is like a tradition. My dad used to point out all the various HVAC parts he'd see on the sets of shows like Babylon 5.

Babylon 5 was a triumph of "spraypainted banana"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

simplefish posted:

Hell even in Star Wars they just straight up repurposed a funky-looking ice cream maker as a communications device

All the blasters are tacticlol WW2 surplus guns.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

STD is not perfect but it's fine, and better than all non ds9 and Orville trek

Lol imagine thinking STD was better than TNG

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chaosbreather posted:

'Sci fi with cheap sets' always sounded like an oxymoron to me. Even HVAC parts nailed to plywood and cardboard is far more expensive to design and build than just driving to an office or house for your typical soap opera or comedy

yeah, a disused office costs $0 to do set dressing, but hell you can get an entire wall worth of Styrofoam containers at GFS for like $25.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Scifi with cheap sets, as opposed to Scifi with expensive sets. :shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I could never mind B5 or The Orville's set cheapness considering one of my favorite films is Dark Star.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Okay, I'm a good way into the first series of ENT by now.

It's hitting all the right buttons for me. It reminds me so closely of the imported American weekend afternoon TV that the UK got when I was a teenager. Like Stargate. It's scratching that exact itch and is equally as nostalgic as late TNG/DS9/early VOY but in a completely different way.

God drat it's like I'm back there. Even though I never watched any ENT when I was that age.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Standard Def was a lot more forgiving for scifi, you could make a little money go a long way without the seams and cheap materials with quick paintjobs showing through in every shot. Babylon 5 in 4K would probably be the funniest poo poo ever.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I just watched a voyager episode about Q trying to get laid which spiraled into an American civil war set and Q on Q finger action and I'm not sure how to take it all

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

barbecue at the folks posted:

Standard Def was a lot more forgiving for scifi, you could make a little money go a long way without the seams and cheap materials with quick paintjobs showing through in every shot. Babylon 5 in 4K would probably be the funniest poo poo ever.

"Jesus, what YouTube channel are you watching?!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Colonel Cancer posted:

I just watched a voyager episode about Q trying to get laid which spiraled into an American civil war set and Q on Q finger action and I'm not sure how to take it all

Just pretend Q stopped existing after his appearance on DS9

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

You should take it with Jameson, straight.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

And now Captain Janeway stabbed a giant virus with a knife.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I'm watching Ministerio del Tiempo on Netflix. Alonso is 16th century Spanish Riker. He gets laid in every era he travels to and he steps over chairs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mycomancy posted:

You should take it with Jameson, straight.

Indeed.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

simplefish posted:

Okay, I'm a good way into the first series of ENT by now.

It's hitting all the right buttons for me. It reminds me so closely of the imported American weekend afternoon TV that the UK got when I was a teenager. Like Stargate. It's scratching that exact itch and is equally as nostalgic as late TNG/DS9/early VOY but in a completely different way.

God drat it's like I'm back there. Even though I never watched any ENT when I was that age.

ENT started out okay (not great, but okay) and then 9/11 happened and it went to poo poo for the next 2 1/2 seasons*. Just as it started to get decent again in the last half of s4 it ended.

*Shran episodes excepted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'm going to watch ENT after I finish Voyager because I really hate myself. Is it really that bad?