Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Did a full read through of Viva New Vegas and at the section where they say to avoid Monster Mod and IWS.

"Don't tell me how to live my life."

https://i.imgur.com/0Z1Is3K.mp4

I won't stop adjusting MoMod and IWS till there are at least five Sand Lizards or some other monster jumping out at me on the way to Johnny.

The final time I used IWS I had to rush directly to Forlorn Hope whenever I was in the general area, because the mod would consistently spawn a bunch of cazadors in the middle of the camp.

I ended up just keeping the enemy spawner feature toggled off whenever I was anywhere near the southeast.

Also doesn't the save bloat get really bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ThaumPenguin posted:

The final time I used IWS I had to rush directly to Forlorn Hope whenever I was in the general area, because the mod would consistently spawn a bunch of cazadors in the middle of the camp.

I ended up just keeping the enemy spawner feature toggled off whenever I was anywhere near the southeast.

Most likely, but I pushed on through full playthroughs before with both running. Even with AWOP but that was fun once, never again cause it's just tedious now.

What I really want to do is recreate a condition from a few years back when Lombard Station would have an army of ghouls protecting the entrance. That was, no joke, a lot of fun for me.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

If you want more action in the wasteland you might want to check out these mods, all of which increase enemy variety, quantity and spawn points, but do so in a much cleaner way than older mods:

Mojave Wildlife

Mojave Raiders

The Living Desert

I believe they're all already included in VNV by default.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Thanks. I had already updated my version of Living Desert the other day.

Wild Life mod with FO3+No Chance Spawns seems good tho. And raiders always seem under represented.

e;
Really liking these Colt and Ruger revolvers
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70207

See one in action in the mp4 i posted above.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 1, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVUJj_nRxt8

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70204

Fancy stuff for the 10th anniversary.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Personally, a lot of those changes are for the worse. The old textures aren't perfect but they have character and ironically more definition than the new ones give them. The death claws are also a lot less freaky with the new textures, and most of the armor looks washed out and less vibrant.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ssssssssssssssssssssand lizard.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Personally, a lot of those changes are for the worse. The old textures aren't perfect but they have character and ironically more definition than the new ones give them. The death claws are also a lot less freaky with the new textures, and most of the armor looks washed out and less vibrant.

The armours look like Fallout 4 versions. The creature changes are pretty hideous in my opinion, especially the deathclaws which are awful.

I'd use the metal armour though because I hate the default

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the Gecko but not the deathclaws. But Upgrades from the Commonwealth has the fantastic Fallout 4 Deathclaw model so I use that instead.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Welp I'm locked inside my house again. Time to boot up the game, go for a new character with a gimmick I never did before, give up right after primm, press the "new game" button and recreate my NCR/independant survivalist with a hunting shotgun for the 1612836th time.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That video is a great example of an issue that plagues a vast amount of texture mods: loss of implied detail.

While the default textures are blurry, they convey this sense of depth and detail, wear-and-tear, hints of reflections etc. Meanwhile you've got the modded textures, whose graphical fidelity is certainly higher, but aesthetically they lose something. They feel overly flat and clean. They look nice when you're zooming in on them, but if you put the vanilla and modded textures next to each other and observe them from a distance, the defaults will often appear to be higher-quality.

This is not about all texture mods, there are plenty out there that beat the vanilla textures in both aesthetics and graphical fidelity. The various aMidianborn texture mods for FNV and Skyrim are my favorite examples of this.

Also I have to admit I giggled in surprise when I saw the deathclaw retex, the human skull motif was just a bit too much for me. It also unnecessarily anthropomorphicizes the face, which has the consequence of making the face seem somewhat flatter when viewed from the front.

That said I thought the geckos were nice!

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 2, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'll stick with vanilla Deathclaws and MonsterMod's Nukaclaw, Radclaw, Kazaclaw, Cyberclaw, etc.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh poo poo I forgot to install Monster Mod before. Anyone have experience with the "lore edition" that's on the nexus?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Most that isnt really for me but I definitely like the NCR trooper armor redesign. Meshes looking a lot less bulky while still retaining the intended look of the armor

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm currently doing a TTW playthrough using this guide, plus a few extra mods. It's been annoyingly unstable; freezing up every hour or so. I went into FNVEdit to see if any of the mods I added were conflicting with the others in a bad way, but nope.

Here's my load order:
code:
FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
CaravanPack.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
TaleOfTwoWastelands.esm
YUPTTW.esm
TTW Reputations.esm
TTW New Vegas Speech Checks.esm
TTW New Vegas Speech Checks - TTW Reputations Patch.esm
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
JIP Improved Recipe Menu.esp
Tutorial Killer.esp
Delay DLC - TTW.esp
FOVSlider.esp
Vanilla UI Plus.esp
CPI Icons.esp
JustModsAssorted.esp
BLEED.esp
BLEED TTW Addendum.esp
VaultLegendOutfit.esp
ImmersivePickupSoundsFNV.esp
Immersive Pickup Sounds - TTW Patch.esp
TTW Tell Dad About Jonas.esp
sawyerbatty.esp
JIP Companions Command & Control.esp
Can't really assign a pattern (beyond general frequency) to the freezing, either. This kind of thing happened once in a while during my FNV playthrough but it's happening way more now.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 2, 2020

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Someone finally fixed that bug where the West Pump Station wasn't filled with piss

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hahaha wouldn't it be funny if someone installed that as a joke hahaha.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

2house2fly posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot to install Monster Mod before. Anyone have experience with the "lore edition" that's on the nexus?

Didn't realize Monster Mod Wasteland Edition wasn't on Nexus anymore.
Monster Mod Additions does some work to rename monster mod stuff to be lorefriendly-er but I can see how a Xenomorph from the Alien franchise renamed to Evolved Wanamingo might not cut it for you. :v:

From the Lore Edition mod description it seems fine if you're into LORE FRIENDLY content. And from the posts page about said mod...

quote:

I'm getting odd creatures labelled as Deathclaws, like a werewolf and a little shelled creature with spikes for front legs, ect..

quote:

It seems to have a lot of errors in leveled lists and references based on FNVEdit.

quote:

This doesnt appear to be too lore friendly? Ive encountered gecko deathclaws, gigantic wolves, pumas, etc etc. Ive even encountered a Snork from the stalker games (it was renamed to "feral ghoul crawler")
I enjoy the variation and new monsters int his mod, but... so many other monsters in this mod are absolute garbage.
I would rather not see snorks in my fallout game

quote:

Any chance of a version that fixes the levelled lists, too? I'm not keen on a Giant Mutated Wolf wandering through Goodsprings and annihilating Sunny Smiles before I even finish Back in the Saddle.

You might want to pass on this for now. Track the mod to see how the author updates this.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gaius Marius posted:

Hahaha wouldn't it be funny if someone installed that as a joke hahaha.

quote:

MO2 is probably the worst mod manager to use for this. I would recommend extracting to your data folder manually, using FOMM, Wrye Bash, or NMM. Not sure why you're having trouble with Vortex though as it is better than MO2 in every way.

No thanks.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

ropekid go on twitter and make this canon ty :thanks:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dare you enter my magical realm?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress. Does anyone have any recs for a piss fetish mod that supports mo2? Serious replies only!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Has anyone any experience with the hideously named Immersive Hit Reactions?

The concept is really neat, but I wonder if it wouldn't make combat against single targets trivial by letting you almost stunlock them.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Has anyone any experience with the hideously named Immersive Hit Reactions?

The concept is really neat, but I wonder if it wouldn't make combat against single targets trivial by letting you almost stun lock them.

quote:

Additionally this mod has been specifically made compatible with Live Dismemberment.

This is a pretty strong selling point for me. I'm gonna give it a shot.

e;
Good news!

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 2, 2020

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I've done some testing with it so far and yeah, it's pretty cool, especially when mixed with Ragdoll. Only thing that I think I'm a little skeptical of is the way it affects the players. I've lowered the animation time in the ini but it still feels pretty disorienting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I tried it but was not a fan of the constant NPC knock down. Felt too cheap for me, I really should have just tweaked the chance down with the set but I was trying a whole bunch of new mods at the time and was too lazy.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Does anyone have a link to whatever the latest version of Lombard Station is?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Does anyone have a link to whatever the latest version of Lombard Station is?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/k8424fu0q3f9egk/Lombard_Station_Final_Release.fomod/file

e;
Bonus: Flip the bird!

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 2, 2020

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Grazie You're a good man, and thorough. I'm doing a clean install for the first time in two-ish years using VNV as my guide, but I still need my Lombard Station, my 1897 shotgun, and (hopefully) my duds from Spice of Life. I'm also finally, after all these years, ditching Project Nevada and going with JSawyer. I know PN is a disaster, but it's always been my kind of disaster. Time for something new, I guess.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone know if there’s a Viva New Vegas-like guide for Fallout 3? I’m finally switching over to MO2 and am trying to get solid “base” installs of F3, NV, and F4 going. F4 and New Vegas are mostly done.

Also, any good Reshade presets out there for Fallout 3 and New Vegas? I’m mostly interested in stuff like god rays and some good ambient occlusion. Maybe even some bokeh depth of field.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone know if there’s a Viva New Vegas-like guide for Fallout 3? I’m finally switching over to MO2 and am trying to get solid “base” installs of F3, NV, and F4 going. F4 and New Vegas are mostly done.

Also, any good Reshade presets out there for Fallout 3 and New Vegas? I’m mostly interested in stuff like god rays and some good ambient occlusion. Maybe even some bokeh depth of field.

Unless something has changed Fallout 3 is still a pain in the rear end to get running now and the simplest solution is to use TTW which has a guide done by the same person:
https://thebestoftimes.github.io/

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Electric Phantasm posted:

Unless something has changed Fallout 3 is still a pain in the rear end to get running now and the simplest solution is to use TTW which has a guide done by the same person:
https://thebestoftimes.github.io/

Fallout 3 is easy to get running, there’s a small INI tweak that needs to be made and it works fine in Windows 10. TTW is a way more difficult method of getting F3 to run.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I love Lombard Station, but it really starts to lag at the end of a really long and thorough playthrough. I'm not sure if it's just because it's displaying hundreds of ammo boxes or something else, but at the end of my most recent playthrough it was a coin flip if going in would have it "merely" chugging or actually running at 1 frame every 10-15 seconds. Reloading would fix it for the most part, but I kind of worry that it's not good for completionist runs. :smith:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

I love Lombard Station, but it really starts to lag at the end of a really long and thorough playthrough. I'm not sure if it's just because it's displaying hundreds of ammo boxes or something else, but at the end of my most recent playthrough it was a coin flip if going in would have it "merely" chugging or actually running at 1 frame every 10-15 seconds. Reloading would fix it for the most part, but I kind of worry that it's not good for completionist runs. :smith:

I've found that if you keep only the display weapons in the weapon walls it runs okay. I tend to fill the place up with food and ammo and it's fine. A while back a goon was reworking it and it looked really good, but he let it go. Too bad, too. I liked his changes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm pretty sure IWS killed my save the last time I used it. Eventually going outdoors would crash the game and I had to give up on the playthrough.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The road to Primm is hell.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

So, I'm working through Viva New Vegas and I notice that it doesn't suggest and/or care for the Jsawyer mod. What's the reasoning here? Is there any reason I shouldn't use JSawyer along with YUP?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, I'm working through Viva New Vegas and I notice that it doesn't suggest and/or care for the Jsawyer mod. What's the reasoning here? Is there any reason I shouldn't use JSawyer along with YUP?

VNV uses JSawyer Ultimate Edition (first mod in VNV's Gameplay module), an unofficial fanmade version that seeks to expand on the original plugin. It's built for compatibility, which is helpful when you've got a big install like VNV's.

I personally like it, but I know there are several people here who don't (particularly because of the name, which I understand).

IIRC classic JSawyer overwrites many of the edits YUP makes, while JSawyer Ultimate has them built in for compatibility's sake.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 3, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So JSawyer Ultimate has all the same stuff as JSawyer plus the optional expanded stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There's a pretty thorough changelog on the Nexus. The basics is that yes, it's JSawyer but modular and more comprehensive, although for some reason it also includes the .22 LR restoration for the Varmint Rifle that I had to mod out with FNVEdit (it's not super-hard, and most people probably won't care tbh).