Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm a nanomort

That's one petite mort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Ixian posted:

Not for the lady on SW 1380 :(

Details coming out today indicate she was wearing her seatbelt and was still sucked nearly half-way out of the plane; her head hit the side of the outside fuselage. Almost certainly died instantly from a broken neck (airspeed was 550mph at the time). That and being pulled through a 10x14 inch opening in about a quarter second. Awful.

i knew seatbelts were a scam by Big Airplane

if she had just been thrown clear of the vehicle, she would have been fine!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ixian posted:

Not for the lady on SW 1380 :(

Details coming out today indicate she was wearing her seatbelt and was still sucked nearly half-way out of the plane; her head hit the side of the outside fuselage. Almost certainly died instantly from a broken neck (airspeed was 550mph at the time). That and being pulled through a 10x14 inch opening in about a quarter second. Awful.
I thought the shrapnel got her? Passengers were saying there was "blood everywhere".

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought the shrapnel got her? Passengers were saying there was "blood everywhere".

Passengers were also saying that the landing was more like a 'crash', but in the video taken inside the aircraft that includes the landing you can't even tell for sure when the flight transitioned to being on the ground except from the noise rapidly dropping as they decelerate.

I saw another quote that said one of the other passengers who was tending to the lady 'had blood all over his hands', which is easier to believe than 'everywhere' when a picture of the seat she was in shows pretty much no blood at all inside the plane.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

People are extremely bad at remembering the circumstances of an accident like this. For instance, something like 80% of people on the ground who saw a plane going down will report that it was on fire, even though that's almost never the case and recordings prove otherwise.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Speaking of that flight:

https://twitter.com/BobbyLaurie/status/986306926937075713

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just found out a company a friend works for has renamed their OSHA people "safety custodians".

I mean, it's technically correct. Just, what?

loving ponytail there can't even be bothered to take out his earbuds.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Christ on a bike.

now I understand why they have to explain how the seatbelts and the whistles work.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

In their defense, as someone who has had to wear one due to in-flight emergency before: those masks are loving tiny and it's easy to panic and wear them wrong.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mr. Apollo posted:

It doesn't take much blood to look like a lot of blood. Also, she still might have bled quite a bit from being battered against the side of the plane.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

spog posted:

Christ on a bike.

now I understand why they have to explain how the seatbelts and the whistles work.

What whistles?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

spog posted:

Christ on a bike.

In fairness they could take the masks out entirely without meaningfully impacting safety. The fact that they weren't wearing the masks "properly" had no effect on anything whatsoever. They could have left the masks off entirely and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Explosionface posted:

What whistles?

There's one on the shoulder of your life jacket, in case you land in water and need to draw attention.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Explosionface posted:

What whistles?

God drat it, if you paid attention then you would know, wouldn't you?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Explosionface posted:

What whistles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoQwZ9BQ9Q&t=120s

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Proteus Jones posted:

God drat it, if you paid attention then you would know, wouldn't you?

The funny part is I actually do pay attention. I've never heard of or seen the whistles until now with the BA video just shared. Always just the ripcord, the waist belt, and the manual fill tube/valve/whatever.

Is it an American thing that I'm in the dark on this, or do I just live in a strange corner of what airlines/planes I fly on?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It's probably for trans-oceanic flights, I've never heard a whistle mentioned in a CONUS flight.

EDIT: Wikipedia says "Most commercial passenger life jackets are fitted with a plastic whistle for attracting attention." I wonder if they're on flights that I've seen but aren't mentioned in the spiel. They also don't mention the light since it's an automatic mechanism.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 20, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
You don't remember in the safety demos where they say 'whistle once if you are drowning, and twice if you are being nibbled on by a shark?'

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
They changed that guidance once they found out the whistles attract sharks.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Mozi posted:

You don't remember in the safety demos where they say 'whistle once if you are drowning, and twice if you are being nibbled on by a shark?'

How many times if the shark is hitting on you?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
That depends entirely on how hot the shark is.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

It's interesting that's the response. If you're not getting the intended result, then you need to change the procedures and equipment to keep people from doing it wrong. Watching those plant explosion videos tells us that if you don't want to blow up your plant, you remove the valves that can blow up your plant if not used properly.

Kith posted:

In their defense, as someone who has had to wear one due to in-flight emergency before: those masks are loving tiny and it's easy to panic and wear them wrong.

That's what I was thinking when I looked at them, they should be designed so you're more inclined to cover your nose too. They need to fit children too, so maybe that's a design compromise that had to be made.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ulf posted:

It's probably for trans-oceanic flights, I've never heard a whistle mentioned in a CONUS flight.

Now I'm picturing a smashed, bloodied person strapped into a charred seat which is half embedded in a corn field, surrounded by the burning wreckage of a 737 and dozens of corpses and screaming half-dead people which are all on fire. "Welp, time to blow my whistle and let the rescuers know where to find me!"

:kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::toot::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Now I'm picturing a smashed, bloodied person strapped into a charred seat which is half embedded in a corn field, surrounded by the burning wreckage of a 737 and dozens of corpses and screaming half-dead people which are all on fire. "Welp, time to blow my whistle and let the rescuers know where to find me!"

:kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::toot::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

What if it's night?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gynocentric Regime posted:

What if it's night?

quote:

surrounded by the burning wreckage of a 737

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mozi posted:

That depends entirely on how hot the shark is.

we all know sharks are smooth as hell

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

boner confessor posted:

we all know sharks are smooth as hell

Not if you rub them the wrong way.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

It's interesting that's the response. If you're not getting the intended result, then you need to change the procedures and equipment to keep people from doing it wrong. Watching those plant explosion videos tells us that if you don't want to blow up your plant, you remove the valves that can blow up your plant if not used properly.
No disagree with you, but if, as a human, you are unaware that you can breathe through your nose, I am not sure if there is any procedure that could help you

quote:

That's what I was thinking when I looked at them, they should be designed so you're more inclined to cover your nose too. They need to fit children too, so maybe that's a design compromise that had to be made.

Then you'd have an Up and Down and potentially you could put them on upside down.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A rounded triangle shape would probably work better, while being reasonably orientation-agnostic.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

Not to be gruesome but I imagine if explosive decompression sucks you out a tiny window in a 550mph slipstream and batters you against the outside of the fuselage for 10-30 seconds before your fellow passengers drag you back in yeah, some blood is going to flow when you are put back in your seat.

The shrapnel never made it past the window. In fact they haven't even found bits of the window itself inside the aircraft; after all a blast of decompressing air (and a human head :aaaaa:) popped out the window as soon as it hit.

Again, 550mph slipstream. Would have killed anyone just by itself.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the whistles are there for the same reason you take one when you go hiking, so you don't have to shout to be heard (and quickly go too hoarse to be heard anyway)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Guy Axlerod posted:

Does it matter if you're breathing through your mouth though?

But yeah a "one size fits all" nose+mouthpiece that's also supposed to be fairly flush against your face has gotta be a little tricky to size right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ixian posted:

Again, 550mph slipstream. Would have killed anyone just by itself.

not anyone

quote:

By riding the decelerator sled himself, in his 29th and last ride at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico, Stapp demonstrated that a human can withstand at least 46.2 g (in the forward position, with adequate harnessing). This is the highest known acceleration voluntarily encountered by a human, set on December 10, 1954.[6] Stapp reached a speed of 632 mph (1,017 km/h),[7] which broke the land speed record and made him the fastest man on earth. Stapp believed that the tolerance of humans to acceleration had not yet been reached in tests. He believed it is much greater than thought possible.

Stapp also participated in wind-blast experiments, in which he flew in jet aircraft at high speeds to determine whether or not it was safe for a pilot to remain with his aircraft if the canopy should accidentally blow off. Stapp stayed with his aircraft at a speed of 570 mph (920 km/h) with the canopy removed, and suffered no injurious effects from the wind blasts.

so it's likely that she just died from being smashed through the window or battered around outside the plane, and not from the airflow.

:eng99:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Does it matter if you're breathing through your mouth though?

But yeah a "one size fits all" nose+mouthpiece that's also supposed to be fairly flush against your face has gotta be a little tricky to size right

stick your nose in a jar of poison gas and try not breathing any

reasonably good one-size-fits-all protective gear isn't hard to come by, you can get respirators and stuff. they're just hard to design well if you don't want to spend even a hundredth of a cent more than you're legally required to.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Happy Deepwater Horizon Day everyone

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Happy Deepwater Horizon Day everyone

ive heard of 4/20 blaze it but that's just ridiculous

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

Pshhht. Look at this clown who doesn't understand how smooth sharks are. :rolleyes:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cthulu Carl posted:

um is the wrong way "not at all" because they're smooth from any angle, how do you think they swim so fast :rolleye:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Syncopated posted:

That's one petite mort.

3.169 x 10-17 Hz, if you prefer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fkEeuWaDcE

If you happen to crash your car, try not to hit a gas line.