Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Kith posted:

doing vs AI games with some friends because gently caress it, why not

got into a game with a Mei and i realized: her loading screen art is straight from overwatch

every other character in the game gets HOTS specific art, but not the most recent character

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Devs confirmed that's a bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

On one hand that's a perfectly normal bug to have and therefore a believable explanation

On the other hand I know better to trust Blizzard at this point and am reasonably convinced that Mei was released unfinished on purpose and the "it's a bug" excuse is being wheeled out to buy time to get the relevant art finished

Either way my shitpost is ruined and, therefore, so too is my day. Blizzard delenda est

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I like that when you press the character voice line button during a match, Mei has Kharazim's voice "Break beneath the endless tide!"

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I always used to focus Samuro's talents towards max damage, but am really enjoying his windwalk utility talents recently. Increased move speed, increased self healing, 30 armor and increased damage when you gank a lane, it more thank makes up for raw damage potential.

The only thing it's lovely at is merc camps, which I've never really played Samuro for anyway. Just go Illidan or Rexxar or something.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Being effectively unkillable is more valuable than damage potential for a stealth assassin imo. So much of this game is tied up in being in the right place at the right time to be absolutely sure you get as much XP as possible and deny as much XP as possible from your opponents that running the risk of failing a gank is an extremely good trade for becoming significantly less likely to surrender a huge chunk of XP to your opponents.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I always used to focus Samuro's talents towards max damage, but am really enjoying his windwalk utility talents recently. Increased move speed, increased self healing, 30 armor and increased damage when you gank a lane, it more thank makes up for raw damage potential.

The only thing it's lovely at is merc camps, which I've never really played Samuro for anyway. Just go Illidan or Rexxar or something.

Just pick wind walk talents plus the one that deals AoE dmg on crit and you can merc fine. Once you hit 20 you're The Untouchable Motherfucker and it is indeed the strongest build

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I legit cannot tell if Tyrael is outdated trash or actually one of the best, most slept on Heroes in the game. And there's no in-between with him either.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Isn't that how a decent number of heroes feel?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I legit cannot tell if Tyrael is outdated trash or actually one of the best, most slept on Heroes in the game. And there's no in-between with him either.

I've got an effortpost floating around this thread from some yesteryear where I identified Tyreal's problem - he does a lot of extremely useful poo poo, but completely lacks palpable "good play" moments like other tanks (roots, stuns, ect) and the majority of his stuff is dependent on his teammates working with it.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Some of them are more pronounced. Like you know exactly what Tychus does best, he shits on big HP heroes and don't give a gently caress about your armor points. He has a clearly defined niche, and only Malthael is anywhere in that neighborhood of playstyle.

Tyrael was outdated, he used to feel like you were swinging a baguette instead of a sword (animation is unchanged, still looks like it) but he has excellent self-sustain talents and is really good at being sticky on fleeing targets. He can slow them (talents make them more slow for longer) and you can also boost your allies (and yourself) with extra move speed to get those last hits and make it a kill. He isn't as good at disrupting a teamfight as Diablo, but as soon as someone retreats Tyrael can go "no, gently caress you, you get to die slowly and painfully while you keep trying to escape"

He is a tank, but rather than being the big opener of a teamfight, he is the big closer. Holy Ground talent is his only real objective denial. It's really good, but it's only a small piece of his kit and not what he does best.

His invulnerability ult is amazing if you have really good teammates that can jump on the opportunity it provides. For regular matches with randos I always go Judgement. Invuln ult is even better at 20, but most of the time I get more utility out of JUDGING that one hero that almost got away.

Especially if you have Illidan on your team, it's hilarious to gank right before and objective with combo Judgement / The Hunt and OOPS YOUR MOST IMPORTANT GUY DIED RIGHT BEFORE THE TEAMFIGHT. GO EAT A gently caress SANDWICH THIS IS OUR RAVENLORD TRIBUTE

edit: but yeah he doesn't make the Big Plays himself, he just enables your team to make Big Plays. It can be really frustrating to get a perfect engage/chase, and nobody follows up with you. He is one of the only heroes other than healers that this ever happens to me with.

compare Arthas, who is also a tanky dude that can be really sticky with fleeing enemies. He can talent into doing assassin level damage, if your team is that bad at following your lead. Tyrael can't. He just gets even stickier with more self sustain. If nobody follows you, you are just doing menial damage and annoying the enemy hero, and then you are out of position near enemy base because nobody came with you. Tyrael does great with teamwork, and feels like poo poo when your team doesn't follow up.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 11, 2020

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Ask this guy if Tyrael is good or not.

probably just metal issues.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oh, don't get me wrong - Tyreal is great, erring on the side of amazing. He's just... subtle.

In the hands of a competent and coordinated team, that's amazing.

In a team of uncoordinated randos, it's not likely to accomplish much.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I will say one thing about Tyrael and it's that he has mana problems like nobody else I can think of still, but at the same time I can see why. Everything he has is extremely useful in a lot of situations and they are all on rather short CDs as well.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I love Tyrael’s style of play and he was my highest win rate tank last SL season. Definitively think that he is rather feasible even in uncoordinated teams, you just have to play a bit differently.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Wow, when did his explosion actually start doing good damage?
By my third win with him yesterday, I didn't even get to use it anymore.

Thanks for the effortpost Witchcraft, you really sold me on Tyreal.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I'm glad it helped! I play the vast majority of my games vs. AI, which most people seem to think is mindless free wins. And that's how most people play it. I like it as a stress free exercise in maxing out a hero to their best potential. You can freely experiment with builds and playstyles, nobody is going to care.

I know some of it does not apply to "real" matches but you can still learn something from playing against AI. People say that you will learn "bad behaviors" but I don't think that's true. Whole match / map strategy is very different compared vs. a human team but as long as you are aware it isn't a real setback. The highest level AI is incredibly punishing in certain aspects. They land skillshots with inhuman accuracy. They can see you when in bushes/vents, when stealthed, even when you are approaching an unrevealed area of the map, and react to it. They have better map awareness than any random QM player you get stuck with.That helps A LOT with your own map awareness, and expecting enemy players to know where you are.

The most aggravating (and best lesson) from AI is how they will instantly flee and evade any skill with a windup. It is really good at training you how to lead your aim ahead. I think that is one of the hardest skills to learn in HotS. Anything that doesn't instantly cast is much harder to land. When you learn to land it on fleeing enemies, you get the full use out of that skill. Full AI matches are great for that, in a way that the practice/try mode is not.

The best part is that you never end a night of video game upset that someone on your team failed you. The only thing you can improve is your own skill. If you aren't getting MVP every single match, you have a palpable goal. It is relaxing and gratifying and when I get into the odd QM or brawl match I put those skills to good use and feel satisfied in my own performance even if we lose.

Play AI. It good.

edit: disclaimer

if you just do whatever and don't pay attention to the results of your actions, you will still win 99.9% of AI matches, and you will learn nothing

if you're already going to win, why not go goofy with the build that shouldn't work? why not hone your clicky skills against heroes that are sometimes predictable, but always have inhuman reaction times?

the ranked/unranked draft is its whole other thing, and does not apply

but if you ever play QM or brawl, you have no excuse not to play some AI now and then as boot camp

i just really like the laid back camaraderie, no one gets mad, not even if you are teaching them how to play their hero

it's good times

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 14, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

patch went out, dumb weather bullshit is gone

tychus got a massive buff in like six different ways and i'm considering picking up some QM games to run wild

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Not being able to take both Titan Grenade and Sizzlin' Attacks is kind of a bummer though, it was hilarious how fast you could shred dudes like Garrosh and Diablo with that combo.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the cooldown reduction on titan grenade, though

holy poo poo

that alone makes concussion grenade viable

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I still dunno if I would take concussion grenade over quarterback. It is so satisfying to land a max range grenade on someone who has basically already escaped and thinks they are safe. I always save it for that last vital hit when a low HP hero is just beyond your reach.

Every map has certain spots in "the jungle" (between lanes) that are a tight hallway, smaller than the AoE diameter of your grenade. With practice, you can lead your aim even through fog of war and land long distance blind shots with quarterback grenades. Kinda like landing blind hooks with Stitches.

Morales has 2 skills that lower cooldown on her grenade too, though. Would be fun to play grenade spam Tychus/Morales against Samuro, Vikings, etc. that basically give you free extra hero hits.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Morales has 2 skills that lower cooldown on her grenade too, though. Would be fun to play grenade spam Tychus/Morales against Samuro, Vikings, etc. that basically give you free extra hero hits.

I did this!
Turns out the two abilities have the magical properties of being able to completely nullify the other! Wouldn't recommend unless you communicate extraordinarily well.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

HitTheTargets posted:

I'll take that action. :10bux:

No Wave posted:

your on. July 18th 2020 I will send you 10 dollers if the average view count for hots on twitch over the easiest to track one month period preceding july 18th is > that of overwatch (lmk if you have a better metric)

I’m not seriously suggesting I deserve money. I just want to brag that I can remember a thing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought of that a few times over the past few years and it was bothering me whether to bring it back up or not. PM me your paypal and we'll get it done.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I just cant do it WC.
Bots, I cant handle em. I played one round of solid AI and got a bot Ana that, like you said, never missed a skill shot. Its either that or they seem to waggle like they cant path right.
It also feels sad when I gg a pack of drones, though they never take time out to tell you to KYS or call you trash lol.

I don't really see anything happening in SA goons anymore, any of you lurk that goon chat?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
A few of us lurk the discord for a minute or two a few times a week.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
This is the only blizzard game I’m still enjoying

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I still have the in-game goon channel in my list but haven't seen any activity in there for a long time. Haven't used the goon HotS discord in a while but it was always more active than the in-game chat channel.

The only other channels I have on my list are LFG (the only worthwhile channel to get random group members for any game type), reddit (honestly better ratio of good:bad compared to general playerbase in both skill and attitude), and XPFarm (for one hour xp farm AI games - with first win of the day and boost active you can get 1.3 million XP for your hero of choice)

Also general chat, because I love to stir the poo poo while I'm assembling/queuing for a match. CORONAVIRUS NOSE TEST IS A SCAM THEY ARE PUTTING MICROCHIP INTO YOU'RE BRAIN. SLICED DELI HAM IS GARBAGE UNLESS IT IS PART OF A CUBAN SANDWICH. 5G CELL TOWER MICROWAVES MAKE U LOVE CAT AND DOG (THEIR FLEAS ARE GOVERNMENT SPY NANOBOTS)

JOHN CENA AND JOHN STAMOS ARE THE SAME PERSON HAVE U EVER SEEN THEM IN THE SAME PLACE AT THE SAME TIME???

ABATHUR IS THE SEX MASTER OF ALL HOTS HEROES HE CAN BUILD AN ENTIRE SPECIES WHOSE ONLY PURPOSE IS TO gently caress

wait how is that different from our own existence. rly makes u think

well, my game popped. see u in 15 mins general chat

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Oh yeah someone in my AI game today threatened to hang themself because they accidentally joined an AI group when they wanted to play QM, and after the divorce this was the last straw the broke the camel's back. They spent the entire match saying how bad their life sucks and they should just end it.

I learned a new thing about the Blizzard report system in HotS today. There is no choice on the report ticket for "player says they will kill someone in real life" or anything like that. You can only report AFK, trolling, botting, heated gamer words, antagonistic play, etc.

This is the first time I have tried to use the report function in 3??? years of play and it was unusable.

I don't think they really meant it because at the end of the match they tried really hard to guilt everyone into playing QM instead of AI, but there really should be some way to honk Blizzard if a person is saying "I am going to kill myself" for 15 minutes straight.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 22, 2020

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
That sounds exactly like trolling and antagonistic play?

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

WITCHCRAFT posted:

but there really should be some way to honk Blizzard if a person is saying "I am going to kill myself" for 15 minutes straight.

"Intentionally Dying"

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
What are the best voice lines you can make your hero say (by pressing Y)?

I have a bnet buddy that mains Imperius and he has great timing to yell "SILENCE!" any time another character talks, or when the enemy team gets silenced by a skill.

I think it's pretty hard to top the utility of telling someone else to shut the gently caress up. And he's loud about it too. It's great and to the point.

Tychus in general has great voice lines to spout during a match. I love typing out "I'm a bad, bad man :tychmeh:" in chat after getting a multi kill and playing the voice line. Riles my team up.

Also fun to catch an enemy that is about to use hearthstone or movement skill to escape at 5% hp, then you polymorph them and go "No, no, no!" while they die.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Chromie's "YAY!" pretty handily wins the most obnoxious voiceline contest.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
This is Jimmy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alarak's weird noise he makes (like he just ate a lemon) and then "...acceptable".

Dehaka's "ESSENCE".

Mephisto has one voice line that takes 10 seconds, but the one where he grumbles for a bit and goes "I'm not happy..." is the best one.

Morales' "Not everyone deserves to be saved."

Ragnaros' "I'M ON FIRE".

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 27, 2020

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

Mei's "Break beneath the endless tide!"

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

probius has the best lines

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Mierenneuker posted:

Alarak's weird noise he makes (like he just ate a lemon) and then "...acceptable".

It's even better with his Cthulhu skin's audio.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Paranoid Peanut posted:

probius has the best lines

the one that's like WRRRR-R-R-R-R-R-R is jarringly loud

I usually supplement it by typing "*horny robot noises*"

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
PWEH

dies