Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lladre posted:

The only safe place by a turret is directly ontop of it.

Bonus you get to spin with it.

Help, I just took a mortar right up the grundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Nowhere is safe from the mortar sentry :black101:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

good news: you'll never feel cleaner

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Bad Munki posted:

Suntan Boy posted:

Military ERs are always a special flavor of batshit, in a medical field rife with WTF stories.

My patient one night was brought in from the field by their medic, complaining of abdominal pain for 2 days, and unable to poo poo for 3. He looked ok, other than clearly being profoundly uncomfortable. The medic had tried a short regimen of stool softeners, to no avail, and their aid station had given him a bottle of magnesium citrate to chug, which just made it hurt more. Even when he was alone in the room with one of the staff, dude didn't let on that he knew exactly what the problem was, and it wasn't the steady diet of MREs and dehydration.

"Belly hurts, can't poo poo" isn't particularly unusual for Joe, but it does warrant an x-ray as a matter of course. Woke up the tech, who wheeled the patient off to do their thing. After they came back, the tech pulls us off to the side.

"He's got a dildo or something stuck up there, but it's weird; I can't see any batteries or plastic. Here, take a look."

Gathered around the computer, we start trying to figure out the object jammed in this man's rectum. Completely opaque, so probably metal or ceramic... north end has a blunt taper... measures about 40mm by 45mm...

"Oh gently caress," one of my newbie medics breathed. "That's a 203 round."

"Oh gently caress," the rest of the army folks in the room agreed. "It's a launched grenade," I explained to to nonplussed doctor. After a moment's consideration, "Oh gently caress."

To his credit, the doctor did not stride back into that patient's room like his rear end in a top hat had just tried to vacuum up a chair cushion. He did scoot out of there with a quickness once he'd confirmed what it was, and that there was no way he'd be able to get it out right there. A flurry of phone calls followed: the doctor with the surgeon, the charge nurse with several levels of department and hospital leadership, and myself with EOD. Every conversation went pretty much the same: sleepy disbelief, laughter, "oh poo poo, I/we'll be right there". Fortunately, he was the only patient in the entire building, so evacuating everyone amounted to half a dozen disgruntled staff in the parking lot in the middle of the night.

After some uneventful waiting, the EOD and surgical teams arrived, wheeled dude to the operating room, and got to work. It was reportedly asses-to-elbows with both groups in there at the same time, but they got the round out mostly without incident. "Mostly", because dude's bowels had been corked for 3 days, and all those MREs suddenly had an exit route; the immediate aftermath was best described as "chocolate mousse fired from a blunderbuss". The round was whisked away by the EOD crew, and dude was quietly disappeared after a brief stint in the recovery ward. No idea what happened to either one of them, sadly.

NTC was a weird place.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

spraying hot uncorked democracy all over the ER

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

spraying hot uncorked democracy all over the ER

Democracy fills my sample container

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Used the firebreaker a lot more now and I can see its virtues. I think overall I'm more effective with it than the breaker but I really miss the point and click gameplay of the breaker. It's hardly an accurate ranged weapon but you could still reach out surprisingly far with it and reliably decapitate bugs with it. The firebreaker just has so much ammo that the lack of stagger, lower damage, and shot pattern don't hold it back. Sure, I can easily remember scenarios where my breaker saves my rear end because I can accurately take down bug after bug with it but the firebreaker means I wouldn't have gotten into those situations in the first place.

It's a really frustrating feeling but I guess this is what good balance can mean.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The firebreaker is great for having to go "fuckfuckfuck" and saturate an area with damage right away.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So good to just point the general direction of a shrieker and pull the trigger once and see them fall three seconds later like tissue paper on fire

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The firebreaker is great for having to go "fuckfuckfuck" and saturate an area with damage right away.

It has So Many Shells

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

pretty frustrated with this game right now.. besides the crashing i'm just running into way more toxic people

i was playing with a pub group and there was one guy the whole match kept TKing me. fine no problem, people are dropping bunch of eagle/orbitals and sometimes you get hit... but he never said anything. that was fine too. i just assumed he had no mic and was on console so typing would suck.. whatever

we're in a egg elimination level and we're trying to complete the last egg nest. we're having trouble because 1 guy dropped. this guy during this whole time keeps dying pretty far from where the nest was. instead of spending time to kill the eggs he was trying to go back to get the samples. again, sure no problem... finally we finish the nest and its right near evac. he dies again and we have to reinforce him right by where we are. there's about <4 minutes left. the evac is right where we are, we still have some samples and the supers. no reason to risk it against fire tornadoes and heavies. but i start running towards evac, he goes towards his dead body. uhm. okay i guess i'll go back and hit the evac and they should be back around that time.

finally he types for the first time, "hey why don't you help out?" "*** head". i just stopped, told him to gently caress off, and then left the match. whole time never said anything about TKing me but this.. right after he spent all that time dying to get back to his body while me and the other guy were clearing enemies/egg nest. i've played like 4 matches with this guy already and this was the first thing he says. just tilted me so much.

anyways thanks for reading.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Strong Sauce posted:

pretty frustrated with this game right now.. besides the crashing i'm just running into way more toxic people

i was playing with a pub group and there was one guy the whole match kept TKing me. fine no problem, people are dropping bunch of eagle/orbitals and sometimes you get hit... but he never said anything. that was fine too. i just assumed he had no mic and was on console so typing would suck.. whatever

we're in a egg elimination level and we're trying to complete the last egg nest. we're having trouble because 1 guy dropped. this guy during this whole time keeps dying pretty far from where the nest was. instead of spending time to kill the eggs he was trying to go back to get the samples. again, sure no problem... finally we finish the nest and its right near evac. he dies again and we have to reinforce him right by where we are. there's about <4 minutes left. the evac is right where we are, we still have some samples and the supers. no reason to risk it against fire tornadoes and heavies. but i start running towards evac, he goes towards his dead body. uhm. okay i guess i'll go back and hit the evac and they should be back around that time.

finally he types for the first time, "hey why don't you help out?" "*** head". i just stopped, told him to gently caress off, and then left the match. whole time never said anything about TKing me but this.. right after he spent all that time dying to get back to his body while me and the other guy were clearing enemies/egg nest. i've played like 4 matches with this guy already and this was the first thing he says. just tilted me so much.

Never Not Host

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, definitely a new pet peeve of mine when people jack up the difficulty without saying anything or before confirming we have a decent time. If we didn't join to play on 9 why switch to it?

Mordja posted:

Never Not Host

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
God the AMR is such a good support weapon. Seven shots semiautomatic with 6 magazines and it can two-shot a Hulk. I'm pretty much using it as a primary on bot missions.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Strong Sauce posted:

Always sucks when the person most insistent on splitting up is also the worst at it

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Did the Senator get patched? I only used it a few times but I know I used it to fry charger legs to death a few times. All my shots bounce off now, though it is a possible Skill issue.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you hurt charger legs with something that doesn't penetrate heavy armor it was because you were shooting them during the animations where the removable armor bugs out and stops protecting the legs, usually when they stop at the end of a charge.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, senator was never able to penetrate charger armor without the bug.
When they do a charge and do the sliding stop animation, the armor on their legs can temporarily be penetrated be anything. (Until they finish turning around.)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 20, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I always apologize after killing someone

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t like hosting bc I sometimes don’t want to play more than one game. I’ve yet to run into a super toxic player tbh. I’m sure it’ll happen.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't like hosting because I want to see all the different people out and about and what they're doing good or bad and you can get into full groups faster with quick join. I also don't have a psychological problem that makes me genuinely upset if someone does something stupid in a videogame.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I have achieved a state of intransient enlightenment in which other people no longer upset me but where i still feel the need to declare my superiority over them on the internet

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's at least half the fun of playing videogames

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I love light armor. A bunch of samples got abandoned near the last bug hive at the edge of the map, so while my three teammates defended the extraction site, I ninja ran to the hive and back before the shuttle arrived :kimchi:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I joined a random match, we got dropped into the middle of an objective or whatever and robots swarmed.

Leader left lol.

Me and this guy basically finished it. I forgot what level it was. It was pretty rough though because of the hot drop. We worked well and he was nice.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
My buddy and I are almost level 30, and we’ve started running level 9’s. With 4 people they feel pretty easy, I was kind of expecting to have to really plan our equipment and everything but it hasn’t been a big issue. We did a drop as a duo onto a planet where the map was occluded and started right next to a big hive, which was tough but once we got our bearings we did alright, and once two more people dropped in everything was almost buttery smooth. It makes sense that they don’t want to force optimal loadouts, but 9’s don’t really feel much harder than 7’s.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Chakan posted:

My buddy and I are almost level 30, and we’ve started running level 9’s. With 4 people they feel pretty easy, I was kind of expecting to have to really plan our equipment and everything but it hasn’t been a big issue. We did a drop as a duo onto a planet where the map was occluded and started right next to a big hive, which was tough but once we got our bearings we did alright, and once two more people dropped in everything was almost buttery smooth. It makes sense that they don’t want to force optimal loadouts, but 9’s don’t really feel much harder than 7’s.

9s are also where you see lots of different crazy loadouts.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Chakan posted:

but 9’s don’t really feel much harder than 7’s.

Because you are with people that know generally what they are doing for the spawn seed that you got. If you all went in with no heavy AT you’d be trying to kill Titans with resupply pods. Don’t underestimate your own competence. I’ve seen some poo poo.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Chakan posted:

Now try bot9s

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The heavy armor B-27 Fortified with a 200 armor rating is on sale in the credits store. It's the only heavy armor with the extra padding passive that adds +50 armor rating afaik. The other heavy armors have a 150 armor rating.

Jon Pod Van Damm fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 20, 2024

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

God the AMR is such a good support weapon. Seven shots semiautomatic with 6 magazines and it can two-shot a Hulk. I'm pretty much using it as a primary on bot missions.

It’s so good, especially with the resupply ship upgrade and paired with stun grenades. I’m interested in running autocannon with a DMR now that the counter sniper got a buff. Being able to take out fabricators again would be huge. The AMR also feels a little light against factory striders except for knocking out their chin guns.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Democracy fills my sample container

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dinosaurs! posted:

It’s so good, especially with the resupply ship upgrade and paired with stun grenades. I’m interested in running autocannon with a DMR now that the counter sniper got a buff. Being able to take out fabricators again would be huge. The AMR also feels a little light against factory striders except for knocking out their chin guns.

Autocannon/DCS is pretty good against automatons, despite (or perhaps because of) their role overlap. The DCS is there to help you out against smaller, faster enemies that the autocannon would struggle to hit (like Troopers) and gives you fallback options for when Berserkers and other melee enemies enter your minimum safe distance. It doesn't have the raw grunt of the Dominator, its closest rival, but it has faster reloads and better handling to help you snipe tricky targets and gun down hordes.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

It's real good for getting eye shots but you have to have the angle for it, and you probably cover even after taking out the guns. And it could just turn away from you.

I feel like I like laser cannon against factory striders the most but AMR is up there. For the entire rest of any bot missions though it's still hard to beat AC, and I love the RR for a lot of similar diverse reasons.

Balance for bots is pretty good all atound tbh.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Did people really have trouble with the 500kg personal order? A friend and I did a duo Difficulty 7 Terminid operation and we completed it in 2 40 min missions. We had 4 500kg bombs each so we just chucked it at everything. Approaching a POI? Chuck a 500kg. Approaching an objective? Chuck a 500kg. Approaching patrol? Chuck a 500kg. Nest? Chuck a 500kg. Bug breach? Chuck a 500kg. We got like 100 kills in the first mission and completed it the next.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
At least with the AMR against factory striders, you can use the standard anti-medium strategy of shooting off the chin guns, walking up beneath it, and then magdumping into the belly hatch (open or closed is equally viable with anti-medium guns). Going for the eye is a poor compromise you should only use if you can't get close enough to blow the hatch.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I want to like the laser cannon on bots, but I don’t like how exposed it makes you when you’re staring down a bunch of devs, especially with its lack of stagger. Great against heavy targets, though. I love when someone in the party brings one.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dinosaurs! posted:

I want to like the laser cannon on bots, but I don’t like how exposed it makes you when you’re staring down a bunch of devs, especially with its lack of stagger. Great against heavy targets, though. I love when someone in the party brings one.

This is why I still bring the shield when using the laser on bots, it prevents flinching.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If you're duelling a tank from the front with an anti-heavy weapon like a recoilless rifle, is there any particular pert you should aim for, or does it not matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Stun grenades and personal shield let you take out a whole patrol with the laser canon pretty quickly. Or if they're distracted by teammates it can make quick work of most things. Also near infinite range so you can snipe stuff from far.