Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If I am going to time the market it dropping more tomorrow would be swell (I get my 401k match for last year deposited tomorrow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dominoes posted:

I get more worried about people burning large chunks of their healthy years in jobs they hate.

What.... The vast vast vast vast vast vast majority of people have to work until they are old?!? In jobs they may not love?!? I am shocked! Shocked!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

So if I’m looking to put a chunk of money in a fund and not touch it for 5 years, today’s number go down is number good?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

So if I’m looking to put a chunk of money in a fund and not touch it for 5 years, today’s number go down is number good?
5 years is kind of short for putting it into pure equities. Better to do some type of bond fund, probably.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Don't time the market.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
5 years is a pretty short time frame for stock investments. High-yield savings or CDs are a better place.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Look up Gambler's fallacy.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I can't get upset at people legitimately living in fear of the CoRoNaViRuS anymore honestly

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

hey guys should I catch this falling knife?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Pollyanna posted:

I’m under no delusion that the economy will change that much under a Bernie presidency. Politicians are still politicians, and although I’m eagerly awaiting the end of the American oligarchy, capitalism will reign for a long time still.

Let's be honest, Congress will either drop his initiatives or change them pretty vastly.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

To clarify, I’ve got the 401k and IRA maxed and any inputs sitting in target date funds, but need to do something with the additional non-emergency money besides having it lose purchasing power in a <1% savings account. I don’t have any major life events planned near-term, but it’s very possible that a baby or new car will come along in 3-5 years.

Maybe something like a 50/50 equity/bond split? I’m only looking into index or mutual funds, not buying into specific stocks.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 24, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Small White Dragon posted:

Let's be honest, Congress will either drop his initiatives or change them pretty vastly.

Yup.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

To clarify, I’ve got the 401k and IRA maxed and any inputs sitting in target date funds, but need to do something with the additional non-emergency money besides having it lose purchasing power in a <1% savings account. I don’t have any major life events planned near-term, but it’s very possible that a baby or new car will come along in 3-5 years.

Maybe something like a 50/50 equity/bond split?

I would try to have a more concrete plan than "Maybe a car or baby or retirement". Stick it in an online savings account at 1.6% until you figure it out!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I won't lie, I always feel a little happy when the market drops on pay day, because i get 3% or whatever amount more goods for my money

But lol if you actually time it, just buy on payday and don't look back

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What is your long term investing strategy for climate change?

val d'or real estate baby

go foreurs

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

moana posted:

All of this insufferable smugposting about people having differing priorities for their money is making me hope the drat market craters soon so we'll have something else to talk about.

Spend your money on watches or funko pops, spend it on retiring early, spend it on a horse boat wedding, why does anyone have an opinion on this honestly

Its the internet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ropes4u posted:

Its the internet.
Plus it’s a sub forum that leans heavily towards minmaxing.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What is your long term investing strategy for climate change?
Be old already.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm somehow more annoyed by my company's stock going down than I am by the overall market going down. I like my RSUs goddammit :mad:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So as I understand it, in cases like this one where the market is clearly unhappy (China's hosed, etc.), the idea is to get out of the market. You can just move your money to a money market fund in the meantime and it'll weather the storm, right?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

So as I understand it, in cases like this one where the market is clearly unhappy (China's hosed, etc.), the idea is to get out of the market. You can just move your money to a money market fund in the meantime and it'll weather the storm, right?

Buy buy buy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

H110Hawk posted:

Buy buy buy

No like I mean the money I moved out of my savings account and into VFIAX cause I thought investing my money meant I wouldn't lose it :mad:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

This is why you don't invest money you need soon. This. Literally this situation is exactly why. You invest in equities for 10+ years or you use another asset class.

Don't time the market.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean I don't need it right now, it's the excess. But I do want to make sure I'm using it wisely.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I mean I don't need it right now, it's the excess. But I do want to make sure I'm using it wisely.
If you don't need it for 10 years, invest it. Who cares what the market is doing? Over that period of time, it goes up.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Sell low, buy high, right guys??

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hoodwinker posted:

If you don't need it for 10 years, invest it. Who cares what the market is doing? Over that period of time, it goes up.

Eh, fair point. This'll blow over by the time I actually need it for...whatever reason. And if the market does crash or we go into a recession, I get to lord it over people and we'll definitely have President Bernie, so win-win!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

No like I mean the money I moved out of my savings account and into VFIAX cause I thought investing my money meant I wouldn't lose it :mad:

H110Hawk posted:

Buy buy buy

I bought $2500 of s&p 500 on Friday.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Pollyanna posted:

So as I understand it, in cases like this one where the market is clearly unhappy (China's hosed, etc.), the idea is to get out of the market.

If you're asking in this thread, the answer is "don't try to time the market." The day trading thread will surely say otherwise but the philosophy here is to choose an asset allocation that you're comfortable with and to stick with your planned allocation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VFIAX seems reasonable long-term. I’m not planning on doing anything more than letting poo poo sit and stew, and I’m no daytrader. Dad’s advice to me was to move all my VFIAX to a money market fund, but he constantly eats poo poo in the stock market and honestly I just don’t wanna fuckin touch it until I’m in a good position for househunting.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Kylaer posted:

The day trading thread will surely say otherwise

Nah. The day trading thread sends people here if they’re not gambling with money they’re comfortable losing entirely

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Devonaut posted:

hey guys should I catch this falling knife?

It feels good, touch it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

This is a joke right?

Pollyanna posted:

Dad’s advice to me was to move all my VFIAX to a money market fund

Oh.......

Pollyanna posted:

but he constantly eats poo poo in the stock market

So do you want to take advice from someone who "eats poo poo in the stock market" or a bunch of people who either no longer need to work or are close to that based on the general investment philosophy discussed here.

Totally your choice.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I heard that it was time to start timing the market, confirm/deny?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
not yet, maybe tomorrow. gotta time it

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

The OP, July 3rd, 2008 posted:

The market is getting killed, shouldn't I wait it out for a while?
NO!! A bear market is the best possible thing for long-term investors! Consider this somewhat-famous Warren Buffet quote:

quote:

To refer to a personal taste of mine, I’m going to buy hamburgers the rest of my life. When hamburgers go down in price, we sing the ‘Hallelujah Chorus’ in the Buffett household. When hamburgers go up in price, we weep. For most people, it’s the same with everything in life they will be buying — except stocks. When stocks go down and you can get more for your money, people don’t like them anymore.

Investing now means that, in essence, you are buying "on sale". This is a good thing.

Just keep buying at the same rate, if you want to gamble/market time/panic use the degen trading thread

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

moana posted:

I heard that it was time to start timing the market, confirm/deny?
My emerging ETF is already up I think you missed it, pal.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Pollyanna posted:

Cause I thought investing my money meant I wouldn't lose it :mad:

:xd:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Motronic posted:

This is a joke right?

Oh.......

So do you want to take advice from someone who "eats poo poo in the stock market" or a bunch of people who either no longer need to work or are close to that based on the general investment philosophy discussed here.

Totally your choice.

I am a bit nervous, but I’m also not convinced the “oh poo poo run” strategy is the right idea, so I’m just not going to touch it. I’ve ignored my parents before and every single time it was the right idea so this won’t be any different.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
why are you nervous? it's a paper number

edit: you still own exactly the same underlying assets, they just have a lower current price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
There's a book, Rich Dad Poor Dad. It's about how most people get pretty bad financial advice from their parents. It's often recommended when people feel like they need to do something different.