Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am looking forward to this and glad they got a deal to be installed seperately on STEAM so I don't have to do the mess around mod dance with base FNV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cautiously optimistic. Lest we forget New California.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Silence, cum dumpster!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What happened to New California?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

What happened to New California?

While impressive something that size got released, it was very amateurish with some very questionable design decisions throughout. It really isn't any good at all.

e: The Frontier team also mentioned that there will be a Nexus release of the Frontier as well which will be installed more like a traditional mod. They also say that this version will be able to be modded and used with mods more easily than the Steam release as that version will be completely separate from your New Vegas install and it's all uncharted waters for them.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 16, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The writing was terrible.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bogart posted:

Cautiously optimistic. Lest we forget New California.

I am hoping it won't be that bad, they've been working on the drat project longer than most modern games get developed now.

It's taken them quite a whille to record the dialogue so hopefully they used the time to filter out or change anything really lovely.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Proletarian Mango posted:

drat that Nuka Cola Grape is already deleted. I wonder why? Do you happen to have a copy?

Updated to Nuka Cola Collection!

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70398?tab=files

quote:

Nuka Cola Clear Spawns in Nuka-Cola Machines roughly at a 20% spawn rate.
Nuke Cola Cherry spawns at a 75% rate
Nuke Cola Grape spawns at a 75% rate
Nuke Cola Orange spawns at a 75% rate
Nuka Cran spawns 20% of the time.

Nuka-Cola Clear provides the consumer with an increased critical hit percentage with the cost of radiation consumption.

Adds a new recipes for those who take the Nuka Chemist Perk.

e;

Also again.

Sunset Sodas
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70302

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 16, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I mean, most AAA game companies can't write decent stories so its weird to expect some random guy to do anything decent. But yeah people were expecting more or less a new mainline Fallout game based on the hype behind some of these mods.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I mean it’s less of a “people don’t know how to make dialogue interesting” thing and more a thing of like, “surely a team of people who put hundreds of hours into creating a large populated game world would think twice before assuming people talk the way they post on 4chan”. And yet here we are.

That poo poo extends all the way back to the Nameless Mod

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To fair to Nameless, that was a weird fan fiction on some Deus Ex forum that was never serious.

New California made the mistake of smugly putting themselves up a level with the posteuring of a New Vegas prequel. I just hope the Frontier guys saw ropekid's little stream of attempting to play that mess and double downed on their script improvements.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Fallout New California | Full Playthrough - Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWe7oOWDb2M&t=987s

Time stamped for 16mins in.

This is beyond missing the "decent" mark. And it gets worse.

homebrand
Oct 1, 2011
There's just no decent deathclaw companion mods huh?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I suppose this is the part where I post the alarmingly high quality Sexy Deathclaw mod. Unfortunately I don't know how to find the mod without first sifting through a bunch of pictures of sexy deathclaws

homebrand
Oct 1, 2011
The deviantart thread is leaking.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

new california is the mod right that takes place in new california post fo2, yet starts in a vault, and also in the first five minutes you decide "are you a jock? or a nerd?" with all the woeful further writing youd expect of someone that decided that was a meaningful start to a game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mods should stop trying to sell themselves as dlc sized packages, the last one of those I played was beyond boulder dome, which similarly sold itself hard on being a NV style dlc. Turns out actual developers are a hell of a lot better at making dlc then a buncha basement coders.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Gaius Marius posted:

Mods should stop trying to sell themselves as dlc sized packages, the last one of those I played was beyond boulder dome, which similarly sold itself hard on being a NV style dlc. Turns out actual developers are a hell of a lot better at making dlc then a buncha basement coders.

Nah, I'd had to discourage folks from making free content that takes a lot of effort on their part that I don't have to play either way. Some good packages have come from modders and there's at least two upcoming Fallout "DLC Sized" I'm looking forward to. And if they suck, that's ok. Hell, the best one is Tamriel Rebuilt imo and that poo poo is incredible already in the state it's in.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Disagree, we've got some good stuff too from this too. This being an ancient internet comedy forums we like to gripe about comically bad ones that we remember more.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Disagree, we've got some good stuff too from this too. This being an ancient internet comedy forums we like to gripe about comically bad ones that we remember more.
Can you name a few?

I've tried a lot of big story/quest mods for Oblivion, FO3, F:NV, Skyrim and FO4 and the single one that I recall liking was Autumn Leaves.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I am certain there was at least two almost total conversion sized ones for Oblivion with one actually getting the developer a job with Bethesda?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

There's the dude who made Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul who iirc got a job with Obsidian. OOO isn't a total conversion, though.

Then there's the dude who made Falskar for Skyrim who irrc got a job with Bungie. I don't think this was a total conversion either, just a big DLC-like mod that was pretty mediocre from what I remember.

Then there's that German indie dev team that made Nehrim for Oblivion and Enderal for Skyrim, both of which got standalone releases on Steam. Both are apparently really good but I've never played them personally.

For New Vegas you got New California and that Boulder City mod and both of those are really bad.

New Vegas Bounties isn't bad, sans part 3. The North Road Remastered is pretty good. Honestly just about all of Someguy's quest mods are really good. There's more big quest mods I'm forgetting but there are a few.

And of course you got The Frontier, a total conversion of sorts for New Vegas which is looking like it'll be released before the end of the year.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Some modders are just insane, even if they are vaguely creative and got the drive. But you can still get good stuff now.

New California was around in early alpha or beta form with Fallout 3 as Project Brazil.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Some modders are just insane, even if they are vaguely creative and got the drive. But you can still get good stuff now.
Sure. I'm not saying there aren't good mods. But whenever a modder advertises their stuff as "DLC sized" it's a red flag because they're trying to do story & quests. And that will generally turn out as poo poo because a lot people think they can write an awesome story, but not that many actually can.

I can take the GECK and make a questline in New Vegas. I've enough experience with that toolset that it's not hard, just time consuming. But even though I can make that competently, it wouldn't be any fun to play because I can't write an interesting story.:shrug:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Yeah, bad writing is rough and really takes the wind out of the sails of any mod that suffers from it. Ain't like the actual gameplay itself is all that compelling with Bethesda's stillborn Gamebryo.

I really hope The Frontier turns out good. By all appearances the devs seem to have their poo poo together and understand what makes New Vegas good. It'd be so awesome to get what's essentially a new Fallout game made by people who actually care about the series and have a thorough understanding of how to work with the game engine to do some cool stuff. I have been wondering nonstop how they're going to explain Ceasar's Legion being all the way up in Oregon, though.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 18, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I mean the Frontier's developers seem to be a lot of long term modders that have come up with good stuff before and even helped in some form to provide life support extending and working around many bugs and problems the creaky old engine has.

Not everything will be perfect but I am hoping the least it won't be embrassingly bad like New California.

I quite like the concept of the Brotherhood going all weird history cargo cult like the Legion did in FNV example. Not original but they seem to understand emulate some of the themes.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Raygereio posted:

Sure. I'm not saying there aren't good mods. But whenever a modder advertises their stuff as "DLC sized" it's a red flag because they're trying to do story & quests. And that will generally turn out as poo poo because a lot people think they can write an awesome story, but not that many actually can.

I can take the GECK and make a questline in New Vegas. I've enough experience with that toolset that it's not hard, just time consuming. But even though I can make that competently, it wouldn't be any fun to play because I can't write an interesting story.:shrug:

While this is 100% true, it just goes with the territory. It sucks to have a huge mod you look forward to have writing you don't care for. But on the flipside, there's probably a good amount of people who do enjoy those works. Especially the kinda folks Bethesda targets these days as a customer base, who just want to explore and shoot poo poo because they're not reading the dialogue anyway.

But I'd never want to personally express a sentiment that modders just shouldn't try, because I absolutely believe the best mods we get more than make up for the poo poo mods we don't have to play.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I can verify Enderal being good both in terms of gameplay and writing (though some of the conversational plot dumps go on too long).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skwirl posted:

I can verify Enderal being good both in terms of gameplay and writing (though some of the conversational plot dumps go on too long).

The same team also did a TC for Morrowind that I think was called Arktwend or something like that. They’re good at what they do.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Most recent saves wouldn't load. Loaded one from four hours back then loaded the most recent save and it worked. Just not from the title screen.

The gently caress.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The conversation has moved past it but I'd like to clarify that u have no problem with people making large mods, it's when they try and sell them as the fifth piece of dlc NV never got. It sets unrealistic expectations for the players and the modders themselves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaius Marius posted:

The conversation has moved past it but I'd like to clarify that u have no problem with people making large mods, it's when they try and sell them as the fifth piece of dlc NV never got. It sets unrealistic expectations for the players and the modders themselves.

There are mods that claim to be DLC sized and are both good mods, and DLC sized, it's just often amateur developers have a reach that exceeds their grasp.

And when you need good writing for a huge mod, I'm not going to say it's harder because there's a lot of technical skills involved in those mods that most people don't have, but it's a different skill.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Modders are, and should be, allowed to “sell” their content however they wish. It’s free content and we can choose to consume it or not too. They owe us nothing, and we owe them nothing. I don’t care if it’s unrealistic or I get disappointed. Or if the writing sucks. It’s free content. I’ll move on to the next thing.

The one thing that good modders have with bad modders is enthusiasm. Love of the game they’re modding and love of they’re vision. I will never suggest that they should censor themselves in some way to please me, someone who contributes nothing but download count and who can choose not to use their content.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
And we're allowed to make fun of them when their DLC sized, epic mod content is redpill incel trash.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MariusLecter posted:

And we're allowed to make fun of them when their DLC sized, epic mod content is redpill incel trash.

100% this as well. This goes without saying.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Chugger's Finest Banana Bourbon
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70429

quote:

Adds the delicious Chugger's Finest Banana Bourbon to the game at survival 65. This drink is an alcoholic beverage that increases luck instead of strength, up to 3 at 100 survival. Also needs a hammer to make... for fruit crushing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Why Would you need a hammer to crush bananas?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Otherwise you might choke on the banana.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

What mod is this in reference to? I want the goss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New California. The mod author has some... interesting bits of dialogue in his creation.