Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vengarr posted:

For the last time, he's going to replace The Traitor™, who will inevitably be a dude so that the class' male-female ratio isn't disrupted

This always struck me as the main argument against Hagakure being the traitor. Although it would be a moot point if there are new homeroom classes for the second year, since Class 1-B has 7 girls to 1-A's 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i understand all the overhaul arc complaints but i'm rereading it for the first time and it legit owns being able to power through it. Mirio owns

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

i understand all the overhaul arc complaints but i'm rereading it for the first time and it legit owns being able to power through it. Mirio owns
It's a lot better when it doesn't take a year to get through

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it still has pacing issues but being able to read the whole thing start to finish makes the flashbacks less aggravating. mirio's part of the raid is great but I wish he'd been introduced or foreshadowed earlier

super saiyan deku will always be really goofy looking tho

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm hoping SS Deku doesn't go so far as to have a hair color change and it's just his hair whipping around

or even just changing a bit like all might's, since that's established as a thing that can happen

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rouncer posted:

She could potentially be an insanely good hero if she worked on one other aspect of her frogginess. Her mucous could potentially subdue villains with just a touch if she could learn to secrete muscle relaxants like what can be obtained from poison dart frogs.

I honestly didn't know frogs could change color until I googled it. Some frog species can secrete Dermorphin, which is 40 times stronger than morphine, or super-strong adhesive (piss off, Mineta), not to mention the various poisons and hallucinogens they secrete.
In conclusion, Froppy is potentially the most dangerous hero alive.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frogwoman is so much cooler of a hero concept than Spiderman ever was.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In volume 20 who does Tokoyami say is going to be the character in volume 21?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is kind of weird how most of the anime thread are expecting Deku to crush Bakugo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that is the safe bet with your average shonen series tbf

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

Frogwoman is so much cooler of a hero concept than Spiderman ever was.

He eats flies
He lays eggs
He's got way too many legs
Look out, here comes the Spiderman

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Hunt11 posted:

It is kind of weird how most of the anime thread are expecting Deku to crush Bakugo.

Bakugo hasn't had a good chance to show off how kickin rad he is in the anime, has he? Although given how he just absolutely aced his perception and insight checks wrt Deku/All-Might, feel like people shouldn't be so quick to underestimate him. Especially in a 1-on-1 scenario without any hero training guidelines or objectives.

Bakugowns

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Horikoshi is extremely good at playing with expectations in both micro and macro ways.

The Toga reveal is so ace - especially if you're deep into Western comic stuff - because even though there are other hints and she pretty much acts like Toga when alone with Deku, we also see her transform from Ochako to Camie and people with shapeshifter abilities usually can't layer the designs. So it's kind of a cheat, but it's an extremely effective one.

This one is for the Eastern audience accustomed to Goku/Vegeta style rivalries. Like Manatee Cannon said, almost every other shounen series takes this opportunity to have the Vegeta bump (either decisively or 'just barely') to the Goku - but Horikoshi might be the best writer in mass market shounen ever when it comes to complex character beats.

MHA is a pretty standard shounen, but it's the highest execution of the form to date IMO

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Patware posted:

MHA is a pretty standard shounen, but it's the highest execution of the form to date IMO

I would like to submit Eyeshield 21 for consideration but I do agree MHA is one of the very best takes on the genre I've ever read.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe it comes from reading a couple of Sports shonen, but the hero losing to the rival isn’t super uncommon.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

sports is definitely a different genre than battle shounen, it's practically built on constant protagonist failure

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Naruto lost to Sasuke too

Besides Vegeta has never lost to just Goku :colbert:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Andrast posted:

Naruto lost to Sasuke too

Besides Vegeta has never lost to just Goku :colbert:

and naruto losing to sasuke was considered a big-rear end twist. fortunately, in my hero academia, nobody is sasuke

meanwhile vegeta never gets beat by goku but he sure gets murdered a lot by people goku then beats, which is functionally identical

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I don't remember how I felt going into this fight, since I don't think I expected Deku to commit to it like he did.

I think Bakugo gets a bad rap and even outside of winning/losing discussion it'll be interesting to see how anime watcher perceptions change in the aftermath.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like comparing Goku vs Vegeta to Deku vs Bakugou is kinda weird because they're completely different scenarios. The Deku vs Bakugou fight is way lower stakes than any time Goku and Vegeta face off. It's more personal and Deku can afford to lose without any world-shattering consequences or anything, which isn't something that was really the case in Dragon Ball Z. Deku losing is still a big surprise but I think it's for a couple of reasons, not just "Oh, he is the hero and the hero wins fights". Like, I was pretty certain Bakugou was going to lose because he was going through some heavy character development and I was expecting a loss to put him in a situation for some more self-reflection on that. And although Bakugou winning was cool and unexpected I don't think it was like a huge subversion of the traditional battle shonen rivalry.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I was pretty annoyed by it, but I've also been sick of Bakugo and his sole personality trait for a while now so I really wanted him to get punted through a building.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

I felt the same way when I first read it tbh. We've seen Deku improve so much and I was still in a post-Midoriya vs Todoroki hype-mode thinking 'Eh, if Deku gets serious he'd just kick him through a building and its not like Bakugo has superspeed like him'.

I do still think how Bakugo wins is bullshit, you can't just grit your teeth and yell that you're not going to lose after being super-punched in mid-air. That's not how physics work.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nephthys posted:

I felt the same way when I first read it tbh. We've seen Deku improve so much and I was still in a post-Midoriya vs Todoroki hype-mode thinking 'Eh, if Deku gets serious he'd just kick him through a building and its not like Bakugo has superspeed like him'.

I do still think how Bakugo wins is bullshit, you can't just grit your teeth and yell that you're not going to lose after being super-punched in mid-air. That's not how physics work.

That’s definitely how shonen physics work

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gritting your teeth and yelling is basically exactly what PLUS ULTRA means.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nephthys posted:

The entire theme of the kids' education is that real heroes go beyond what should be possible. Bakugo vs Deku is just one of the only on-screen examples of someone who isn't All Might or Deku actually doing it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure that's a matter of pushing past your natural limits, not ignoring the laws of momentum through sheer gently caress-you power.

I just really wanted Deku to win. :(

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The real winner was you, the reader.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Gritting your teeth and yelling is basically exactly what PLUS ULTRA means.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think Bakugou vs Deku round 2 works so well because Bakugou is literally kinda UPSET that he won. All Might isn't supposed to lose, so neither should the guy he gave all his power too.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Deku and Bakugo will fight again at some point and it's gonna own

I mean narratively it kinda makes sense for Deku to take an L since he's been on a rise since the Sports Festival. By contrast, Bakugo REALLY needed a win considering the series to this point has been knocking him down the rungs. I think it's a really good fight that puts the two back on somewhat equal standing

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 9, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Bakugo could barely keep up with Deku operating at 8%. He's currently at 20% and he's just going to get stronger. I know that relying on that kind of logic is silly in a shonen but Deku should be on the cusp of outright owning him at this point.

I'd be interested to see how his air bullets stack up to Bakugo's explosions though.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rhonne posted:

New Vigilantes

All Might and Tsukauchi are adorable.

Ingmur link

There's a lot of :3: in this chapter.

All Might being cute and so worried about his new friend! Poor guy has probably been really lonely for a while now so I can see why he'd react so strongly here. It also has a nice subversion on the whole "superhero saves one person in particular that's special to them" because the Symbol of Peace doing that would show a chink on his armor that villains would just exploit.

Makoto continues to be the best and not afraid to sass the cop. She and Tsukauchi have a believable sibling dynamic too.

And cat cop makes another appearance. :3:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Bakugo could barely keep up with Deku operating at 8%. He's currently at 20% and he's just going to get stronger. I know that relying on that kind of logic is silly in a shonen but Deku should be on the cusp of outright owning him at this point.

I'd be interested to see how his air bullets stack up to Bakugo's explosions though.

they keep pushing each other further and further and taking the rest of the class with them

that's the whole point of their dynamic

e: like bakugo's fury at todoroki holding back during the sports festival was mostly based in ego but beyond that was a need to see how he measured up to todoroki at his best

in other words, "if you wont be better, then how am i supposed to get better"

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 9, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

While that's true, I think its been firmly established in the story that One for All just eclipses everything else to almost comical levels so Deku really should start getting further and further ahead of the rest of the school. It's always been one of those big things hanging over the series that no-one is quite sure how Horikoshi is going to handle.

Maybe this current arc we'll get a firmer handle on how he stacks up against the other students.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nephthys posted:

While that's true, I think its been firmly established in the story that One for All just eclipses everything else to almost comical levels so Deku should start getting further and further ahead of the rest of the school. It's always been one of those big things hanging over the series that no-one is quite sure how Horikoshi is going to handle.

All Might's supremacy wasn't just because of his Quirk, it's because he was All Might

Midoriya thinking otherwise is why he kept reducing his skeleton to confetti

the symbol of peace can't be fulfilled by just one person anymore, even with One for All, it's going to be Bakugo and Midoriya working in tandem setting a mutual example for the next generation

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
like so much of the fanbase (not saying it's anyone here) so badly wants bakugo to be the schoolyard bully who gets surpassed by midoriya in some big show of catharsis, which is partly why no one ever stops bitching about the "jump off a building" line

but he's not that, the narrative has and always will afford him equal respect as midoriya, just for different reasons, and the story is about both of them fulfilling different aspects of the ideal hero that All Might was

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dude I don't even care about that line. I think its very realistic of what a teenaged bully would say and I think Bakago's a great character. I just don't think it makes sense for a guy whose quirk is explosions and no kind of physical enhancement abiility to possibly be able to keep up with someone even remotely on All Mights level of speed and strength. A weakened All Might was so fast Shigiraki couldn't even see him and he's so fast he can practically teleport on screen. And even Deku was equaling Bakago's explosions with his freaking finger flicks, not even counting All Might shattering a city block by punching the air. Plus the fact that already Deku is over twice as strong and fast as the last time the two fought makes me doubtful Bakago is going to be able to keep up with that scale of lateral improvement.

Like I'm sure you're right because Deku absolutely eclipsing his rival like that would be lame but I'm at a loss for how the story could justify him being on Midoriya's level at any point in the future.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 9, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

power levels cause brain damage in readers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Dude I don't even care about that line. I think its very realistic of what a teenaged bully would say and I think Bakago's a great character. I just don't think it makes sense for a guy whose quirk is explosions and no kind of physical enhancement abiility to possibly be able to keep up with someone even remotely on All Mights level of speed and strength. A weakened All Might was so fast Shigiraki couldn't even see him and he's so fast he can practically teleport on screen. And even Deku was equaling Bakago's explosions with his freaking finger flicks, not even counting All Might shattering a city block by punching the air. Plus the fact that already Deku is over twice as strong and fast as the last time the two fought makes me doubtful Bakago is going to be able to keep up with that scale of lateral improvement.

Like I'm sure you're right because Deku absolutely eclipsing his rival like that would be lame but I'm at a loss for how the story could justify him being on Midoriya's level at any point in the future.

Horikoshi obviously disagrees