Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I honestly don’t see why anyone would make another character except to evade a ban or mute. Matchmaking is as wacky as Murky is awesome.

I’m gonna go price is right on you and assume that there’s 1000 English speaking players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
I'm of the opinion that splitting Russians into their own server would counter-intuitively lead to a larger and more healthy player base in the European server.
I don't play much anymore, simply because it's a coin flip between having a team capable of cooperation and not.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

SirSamVimes posted:

gently caress off, smurfing is a lovely thing to do.

lol ok

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

The loving honour of the moba is besmirched and the justice defenders have logged on.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Tell blizzard fans to ban the nazis: “ehh you see actually it needs to be free speech and ehhh”

Mention you have a smurf account: “VILE INFIDEL, THE PEOPLES JUSTICE METE’D OUT TO YOU THIS DAY. COME BROTHERS!”

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Sir this is a closed down Wendy's drive through.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

Sir this is a closed down Wendy's drive through.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nice meltdown.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Calling HOTS a closed down Wendy's is generous at this point.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Nice meltdown.

Boring rear end dork poo poo.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Fight me irl coward smurf

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
watching them get mad is legit therapeutic

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Aaod posted:

Calling HOTS a closed down Wendy's is generous at this point.

funnily enough, they just teased something:
https://twitter.com/BlizzHeroes/status/1299762939562352640

From what I can tell that's ICC, just swarmed with Zerg

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

That looks loving dope.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
That looks really bad rear end.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
That kinda looks like Icecrown Citadel on top of the Leviathan from Heart of the Swarm. Which is cool as gently caress.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Are we getting a bunch of Zerg skins for notable Scourge heroes like Arthas, Kel'thuzad, Stitches, Anub'arak?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

surely this event will be the one to revive the game

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Kith posted:

surely this event will be the one to revive the game

Do more world crossover poo poo. I want ghoul Zerglings and mutalisks with stitches’ head on their mouth.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I want Stitches playing fetch with a zergling puppy.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'd like a one-time pass to try & recognise that yes, there's an S-Tier of 'Excellent' Heroes, but more importantly there's so many that are in the dumpster because whoops QM hosed you, and I'm tired of seeing the same 10 be such swingy impacts not because their numbers are too high, but because they're the ones who'll do well regardless of what the other team has.

Now, there's the (bad) argument that the game is balanced for drafting and picks, but if your game isn't balanced around the most commonly played mode you're the problem, not the players. That's quite figuratively saying "You're playing it wrong."

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I wonder if at any point, someone at the HoTS team realize they gave every single one of Mei's basically abilities two (2) forms of CC baseline, and she will almost surely be overpowered because of that.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Shockeh posted:

Now, there's the (bad) argument that the game is balanced for drafting and picks, but if your game isn't balanced around the most commonly played mode you're the problem, not the players. That's quite figuratively saying "You're playing it wrong."

"The game is not actually balanced around the game mode that we center and make most accessible and obvious to the player base" is definitely a "didn't even get to step 1 in the thought process" game design

Aaod
May 29, 2004
I don't mean to be a backseat driver but not exactly shocking a lot of blizzards problems should have been solved at the white board portion of game design.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Tulip posted:

"The game is not actually balanced around the game mode that we center and make most accessible and obvious to the player base" is definitely a "didn't even get to step 1 in the thought process" game design
everything that makes QM more balanced results in longer queue times and people would broadly rather click butan and play 5v5 assassin fiestas.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Tulip posted:

It makes perfect sense when step 0 involves Activision execs saying "hey esports are hot right now, make the game more esports!"

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

One thing that I think would help QM is better quest rewards and more loving quests per day. I’ve never seen such a stingy loving system.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
and dumpster all the emoticon rewards

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

One thing that I think would help QM is better quest rewards and more loving quests per day. I’ve never seen such a stingy loving system.

I miss that dumb 4 month long gameboard quest system.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
QM is always going to struggle when team comp is such an important part of the game. Getting locked into a good or bad matchup is game defining. There's not much you can do if one team is all auto-attack and the other is filled with blinds. Heroes like Deathwing or Valeera or The Butcher can easily carry games with the right comp, or get stomped with the wrong one. As a result, QM is often more like gambling than a competitive game.

Fixing it is conceptually difficult. You could balance all the heroes around blind pick, but that's basically rejecting a core part of the HOTS concept (and one that allowed for much of the hero and talent diversity). You could permit some degree of hero selection (like choosing your role but not your hero until the actual match) but then you may as well just combine those changes with Unranked and unify the player base. Either decision would have been a major one that should have happened at HOTS 2.0. Instead it seems like they just let QM wither on the vine.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

reminder that the hots devs have admitted multiple times that pushing for hard counters and focusing on draft picks was a mistake

secondary reminder that they have also claimed as many times that they want to pull hero designs back a bit and make characters more broadly applicable so comp variety goes up

tertiary reminder that they have done almost nothing to achieve that goal except for removing innate armor from some tanks some years ago

Kaal posted:

Fixing it is conceptually difficult. You could balance all the heroes around blind pick, but that's basically rejecting a core part of the HOTS concept (and one that allowed for much of the hero and talent diversity). You could permit some degree of hero selection (like choosing your role but not your hero until the actual match) but then you may as well just combine those changes with Unranked and unify the player base. Either decision would have been a major one that should have happened at HOTS 2.0. Instead it seems like they just let QM wither on the vine.

fixing it is not difficult, it's time-consuming - and with HOTS on a (albeit dedicated) skeleton crew, the man-hours just aren't there. to do it right would involve overhauling 80% or more of the existing roster's kits and talent trees to flatten the performance/counter sinewave in such a way that makes them more viable in general while sticking to their original role/fantasy. back when i cared about this game, i did a couple for fun, and it's a pretty straightforward process of "identify goal, identify issues, use existing framework to create solutions". it just takes a lot of time (which, again, HOTS does not have to spare).

that said, HOTS's core concept has only ever been "casual moba where you can bang blizzard action figures together and make 'splodey noises". playing "draft the counter-pick" wasn't introduced until later when EEEEEEEEESPORTS became the focus and "being cool" stopped being enough of a justification for a hero's implementation.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
https://twitter.com/BlizzHeroes/status/1300116071555497986

Draenei Spear of Adun?

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Possibly influenced by li ming as well. The coloration and metallic parts are reminiscent of her headgear.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I was gonna say it's a Protoss/Draenei hybrid, but those are Terran Battlecruisers flying by it?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

not gonna lie, actually pretty interested to see what comes of EXTREME CROSSOVER EVENT because a lot of the other skin themes have been pretty weak

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They've listened to my feedback tickets and are finally doing the event where everyone gets orc skins

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Kith posted:

not gonna lie, actually pretty interested to see what comes of EXTREME CROSSOVER EVENT because a lot of the other skin themes have been pretty weak
Patch notes
New skin gallery

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Too bad about Deckard's Ruby getting the hard nerf, going 1v5 into the enemy team and healing through everything was hilarious.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

NEXUS ANOMALY: SUMMONER SPELLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

D.Va and Gazlowe reworks are decent on paper and go a long way towards making both more viable in general, which is good. Glad to see Gazlowe being shifted more towards a Bruiser-Caster role like the original Goblin Tinker was.