Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just me, carrying around a beaker at a restaurant in hopes I can dramatically reveal my profession to a random stranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So he's going to transmute the meat into plants? lmao if true.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
How is this guy softer than Snout? I don't see anything I like at this restaurant but I can't leave?

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
You haven't ordered anything! The only commitment you have is to sucking! Just leave!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

whyyyy

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

also lol that everybody who committed mad $ to the latest kickstarter was apparently a furry

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
How the gently caress are you a vegetarian if you're this committed to going with the flow and not rocking the boat in all situations?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

super sweet best pal posted:

So he's going to transmute the meat into plants? lmao if true.

Not sure what I like the most about the implication of this: that the guy's vegetarianism is completely divorced from animal suffering or environmental concerns, or that Mookster's conception of a vegetarian is I LIKE EATING NOMMY NOM VEGGIE NOMS BECAUSE THEY'RE NUMMY IN MY TUMMY AND MEAT IS UCKY.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Mookie's ongoing quest to find excuses for vegetarians to eat the product of the slaughter of a sentient being without technically eating meat is really loving weird.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Breetai posted:

Not sure what I like the most about the implication of this: that the guy's vegetarianism is completely divorced from animal suffering or environmental concerns, or that Mookster's conception of a vegetarian is I LIKE EATING NOMMY NOM VEGGIE NOMS BECAUSE THEY'RE NUMMY IN MY TUMMY AND MEAT IS UCKY.

It is 100% that because orcs ate plants that were basically animals.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lmao that doesnt help ahahahh those are still dead animals.

also wheres the meat raising industry in this densely packed city? cmon cmooon

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

for fucks sake dude

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
If Makena's fatal flaw (to the degree that DD's protagonists are allowed to have flaws) is that he's too anxious to back out from a bad situation, why'd he ditch Backer Character #2 so quickly? It was the right response to a guy offering a tauntaun belly tent, but it's also jarringly bold for someone who'd rather sit around listening to music he hates or eating food he hates than let someone think he's rude.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Depending on the approach at the feedlot and how you calculate it, it takes between 3-7 pounds of grain to create a pound of beef.

Take the average of ~5, congratulations Mookie, you've hit upon a way to ensure that 80% of the food your world produces is wasted while also ensuring that animal suffering is involved with none of the benefits of actually consuming animal protein.

Also, pusillanimous is an amazing word, really rolls of the tongue, and describes so well the self-insert characters that Mookie writes. And you know it's a self-insert because this comic as all of his comics is a D&D campaign he's playing with himself and the main character is a vegan.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Don't restaurants and pubs have signs either in the front of their place or up at the bar where patrons can easily see what the place is serving? How is this doofus only just now realizing the place only serves meat?

And like the others said, just loving stand up and leave, Mookie. Nothing's stopping you from doing so, and if it bothers you so much, just tell the waiter you didn't realize there were no vegetarian dishes. How is this a loving problem???

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

HazCat posted:

Mookie's ongoing quest to find excuses for vegetarians to eat the product of the slaughter of a sentient being without technically eating meat is really loving weird.

It's... I don't know. I want to link it to the numerous cases of him not 'getting it' re. so many other concepts but I just... I can't make it work. Either from despair or confusion on my part, I couldn't say. Maybe both.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
No see if I turn this dead animal meat into plants, it retroactively undoes the ... death of the animal??

Is being a vegetarian like, does Mookie actually think it's a biological impetus? Like if he's willing to eat a dead animal that's been prepared in such a way that it suddenly has cell walls and chloroplasts and that's IT, then like, he's not doing this for any ideological purposes. This is digestive vegetarianism. Why is it always like this? Why are your Mookies always vegetarians but it's always because of herbivory ?? Mookie do you think you'll die if you eat a pig but you're fine with pigs being killed. Would you eat a pig if we processed it into a slurry and then processed it further so it had the texture of turnips. Mookie what the gently caress are you doing. This is your career. If you were just like a hobby artist I wouldn't give a poo poo but my dude this is your 20+ year career that you are proud of and brag about. This is your job.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

How presumptuous do you have to be to enter a completely different community as someone with a specific diet and expect your tastes to be catered for?

Would it be nice? Absolutely, but that's something I've only really seen in the modern era in specific businesses trying to target a specific demographic, by touting their vegan/vegetarian options front and centre.

If I visited an entirely different race of people who presumably have completely different digestive systems given their have non-human physiology otherwise, I would maybe, like, read a loving book about what to eat on the way? Read a tourist pamphlet? Goovgle it?

Why are Legacy-era self-inserts so pathetically passive and dependent?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Not worth thinking too hard about this poo poo. Mookie sure didn't

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Trapezium Dave posted:

It's time for the meat special with extra meat.

Holy poo poo, another helpless, brainless, vegan protagonist. For gently caress's sake.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I know Mookie can't write about anyone other than himself but this is loving dire.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FlocksOfMice posted:

No see if I turn this dead animal meat into plants, it retroactively undoes the ... death of the animal??

Is being a vegetarian like, does Mookie actually think it's a biological impetus? Like if he's willing to eat a dead animal that's been prepared in such a way that it suddenly has cell walls and chloroplasts and that's IT, then like, he's not doing this for any ideological purposes. This is digestive vegetarianism. Why is it always like this? Why are your Mookies always vegetarians but it's always because of herbivory ?? Mookie do you think you'll die if you eat a pig but you're fine with pigs being killed. Would you eat a pig if we processed it into a slurry and then processed it further so it had the texture of turnips. Mookie what the gently caress are you doing. This is your career. If you were just like a hobby artist I wouldn't give a poo poo but my dude this is your 20+ year career that you are proud of and brag about. This is your job.

Don't forget that the orcs are not vegetarians. They are obligate herbivores who vomit immediately if they ingest meat. They hunt and kill animals for their food, the animals are just made out of Plant instead of Meat.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
If anything I'd think Mongreltown would be more mindful of dietary restrictions since its residents can apparently be anything and everything, including anthropomorphic animals. Maybe not this specific restaurant, but if he'd just ask for recommendations they could probably point him to where the ruminants or the frugivores hang out.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

amigolupus posted:

Don't restaurants and pubs have signs either in the front of their place or up at the bar where patrons can easily see what the place is serving? How is this doofus only just now realizing the place only serves meat?

And like the others said, just loving stand up and leave, Mookie. Nothing's stopping you from doing so, and if it bothers you so much, just tell the waiter you didn't realize there were no vegetarian dishes. How is this a loving problem???

Yes. You might also find sign outside of bar that tell you which band is going to perform. Sadly, those are signs and not books, so they don't contain any useful knowledge.

There are so many options. Politely excuse yourself, telling the waiter that you didn't realize there were no vegetarian options - this has probably happened before and they might even give him directions to the nearest plant-based restaurant. Make up an excuse like you're not feeling well. Sneak out. Escape from the restaurant walking backwards on all four while meowing like a cat. Set the place on fire.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A naive protagonist can be charming. This guy is just a dumb annoying wuss.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Zereth posted:

Don't forget that the orcs are not vegetarians. They are obligate herbivores who vomit immediately if they ingest meat. They hunt and kill animals for their food, the animals are just made out of Plant instead of Meat.

They also have a fishing industry but not for food, they just catch the fish and mulch them into fertilizer.

Anyways, loving what? Even if every dish has meat he can't just ask for a side of fries and a salad?

Like I went through a vegetarian phase and if learned anything, it's that restaurants want your money.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GreenMetalSun posted:

They also have a fishing industry but not for food, they just catch the fish and mulch them into fertilizer.

Man I forgot about that. The dumbest possible excuse to wave away that he forgot they were obligate herbivores. Just say they can eat fish and their meat allergy is alvpha-gal allergies which would at least show you know something interesting about science.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Reminder that in nature, there is literally no such thing as an obligate herbivore and pretty much all herbivorous species will eat a bit of meat if hungry.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
a friend pointed out that the dude in the bg in panel 2 is just standing up

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
lawd forgive me but I want tha old Dominic back

at least the smug puppet mastery was sort of assertive

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Does anybody else feel that he is using this as an avenue to relitigate negative personal experiences that he's actually had in real life?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Breetai posted:

Does anybody else feel that he is using this as an avenue to relitigate negative personal experiences that he's actually had in real life?

Does anybody feel differently?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

yeah actually they will posted:

a friend pointed out that the dude in the bg in panel 2 is just standing up

Now that you've pointed this out, I can't unsee it.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Trapezium Dave posted:

It's time for the meat special with extra meat.

A new alchemist friend you say?

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Mx. posted:

also lol that everybody who committed mad $ to the latest kickstarter was apparently a furry

possibly the least surprising thing tbh

Pyrotoad posted:

A new alchemist friend you say?

oh look, a plant!

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Tesseraction posted:

How presumptuous do you have to be to enter a completely different community as someone with a specific diet and expect your tastes to be catered for?

Would it be nice? Absolutely, but that's something I've only really seen in the modern era in specific businesses trying to target a specific demographic, by touting their vegan/vegetarian options front and centre.

If I visited an entirely different race of people who presumably have completely different digestive systems given their have non-human physiology otherwise, I would maybe, like, read a loving book about what to eat on the way? Read a tourist pamphlet? Goovgle it?

Why are Legacy-era self-inserts so pathetically passive and dependent?

Given that mongrel folk (ugh I hate that name) are all mix-and-match chimeras of different species, you'd think most restaurants would have both vegan and meat-based meals (and more unusual fare like, IDK, metals and gemstones for mineral-based creatures), or if they'd didn't, they'd advertise it by being called "Carnivore Cafe" or the like.

Food alchemy is an interesting idea but this is the dumbest application of it!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Breetai posted:

Has he ever not done that?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I think what really bothers me is if Makena's single defining character trait is, 'too much a softboi to say he doesn't like something' then we should have gotten a longer salespitch from Augustus.

Like, he clearly DOES ditch when he doesn't like/enjoy things. He even tells Augustus he's revolting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dominic was too smug all the time they say?! Well if they don't want smug I'll give them the opposite!

oh no