Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
So it turns out that the cat is not sick. We took her to the vet, and they said that nothing is wrong with her. The vet believes that our other cat is engaging in "litter box guarding" so miss peesalot is avoiding using the litter box.

We're going to get another litter box in another room, but is there anything else that we can potentially do about this? I'm at the point where I'm about willing to give up one of the cats - the bed has been peed on too many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larva
Dec 26, 2007

SoldadoDeTone posted:

So it turns out that the cat is not sick. We took her to the vet, and they said that nothing is wrong with her. The vet believes that our other cat is engaging in "litter box guarding" so miss peesalot is avoiding using the litter box.

We're going to get another litter box in another room, but is there anything else that we can potentially do about this? I'm at the point where I'm about willing to give up one of the cats - the bed has been peed on too many times.

In addition to more litter boxes, you can try using Feliway on the bed. It only works on some cats, but when it works it can be pretty effective.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Larva posted:

In addition to more litter boxes, you can try using Feliway on the bed. It only works on some cats, but when it works it can be pretty effective.

Well, one pretty big issue is that the bed isn't the only place she's peeing - she's decided that the world is her toilet.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Larva posted:

(This is Soldado's fiance...)

Larva, the vet recommended using Feliway, so we have it, but what are we supposed to do with it? Spray it everywhere she's been peeing? Spray it everywhere period? (Spray her? :D)

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I'm not sure what others have recommended yet (I looked back a bit), but you may also want to try some Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter as well. They have a store locator on their website, but I'm not sure how good it is since there is a store near me that carries it and they say there isn't a store near me. You may check it first and then call around. It's a locally owned pet store near me that carries it, not a big chain. Adding at least one additional litter box like you are planning to do seems like it might help your problem though. I think rule of thumb is typically one litter box per cat plus one.

I had a problem with my cat peeing at the bottom of the stairs outside of the door where his litter boxes are. I have four cats and five litter boxes. I changed litters from corn to clay and that helped some, but he was still doing it. I moved the box out to where he was peeing and that seemed to help a little more too. I tried natures miracle pored on the area and natures miracle in a steam vacuum. I know a lot of people swear by this stuff, but neither I nor my cat were impressed. We ended up pulling the carpet up where he was peeing and installed some laminate wood flooring and he's been 3+ months without an accident. I know that's a pretty radical move, but we'd tried just about every trick in the book before then.

Larva
Dec 26, 2007

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Larva, the vet recommended using Feliway, so we have it, but what are we supposed to do with it? Spray it everywhere she's been peeing? Spray it everywhere period? (Spray her? :D)

Heh, yeah, try spraying everywhere she pees, assuming it's not the entire house.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Buy the room plug ins, I have had good experiences with them. Another option is to seclude her in a bathroom or something with a litter box until she "relearns" to use a litter box.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Will that Nature's Miracle stuff help with vomit or diarrhea? ... Seems Shinobi was sick and has left a puddle on the rug. And she goes to the vet tomorrow for de-worming and an examination, so I may ask.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Aerofallosov posted:

Will that Nature's Miracle stuff help with vomit or diarrhea? ... Seems Shinobi was sick and has left a puddle on the rug. And she goes to the vet tomorrow for de-worming and an examination, so I may ask.

I think you can use it for that, but for vomit, I personally like a product called Folex. It seems to work really well for stains on carpet.

taxanomalie
May 10, 2008

my cat has lovely teeth, she came from a domestic abuse situation and when I adopted her all her incisors were broken and loose, she had a dental where they pulled all her incisors but her the rest of her teeth are slightly grody, she has no gingivitis or tarter buildup YET and i'm trying to keep it that way, shed gets dentatreat powder and I sometimes brush her teeth, I got her greenies and she swallows them whole and I got her CET chews and she just throws them around the house. anyone have any feline dental treats they swear by?

Susan Calvin
Oct 20, 2008

But how does that make you feel?
When I took my new cat, Peri, to the vet last week, they cleaned his ears, but I'm seeing gunk in there again.
What's the best do-it-yourself way to clean a cat's ears?

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Susan Calvin posted:

When I took my new cat, Peri, to the vet last week, they cleaned his ears, but I'm seeing gunk in there again.

I usually just use dry balls of cotton or qtips. Shove in, twist a bit, pull out gunk.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

hhgtrillian posted:

I think you can use it for that, but for vomit, I personally like a product called Folex. It seems to work really well for stains on carpet.

Nature's Miracle took care of it. Shinobi went to the vet today, and I just feel like a horrible pet owner. She was healthy but for the start of gingivitis and her tape worms. :/ I'm sorry you got tape worms Shinobi... We at least got a good tooth brushing kit and her meds started. Everything is being washed in hot water and Parasiteocide '09 has begun nuking things from orbit.

How long should I wait to start applying Advantage in case of fleas after her Profender? The vet says a day, but that seems awfully soon to apply two things to the back of her neck. I don't want to melt my kitten (Especially not since I'm looking to adopt a second one...).

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
A day should be fine.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
One of my dogs has extremely sensitive skin, and when she wears a collar she will scratch at her neck until it is bloody. I have purchased nylon and leather collars, and right now I am debating a hemp or cotton collar. Both claim they are excellent for dogs who have sensitive skin, but the cotton collars are way cheaper. Which material would you recommend?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
So, I'm trying to prevent a dog from training me, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I've got a 2-year-old mutt (Shepherd/Lab mix?) with anxiety issues. He sleeps in his kennel at night, in the bedroom so that he can see my girlfriend (the real owner) and myself. This works pretty well, except he oftentimes wakes up at 5 or 6 AM and decides to start whining. Ignoring him does nothing. Sometimes telling him sternly to shut up provides temporary relief.

What do I do here? A spray bottle? More yelling? Severe beatings?

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Doc Faustus posted:

So, I'm trying to prevent a dog from training me, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I've got a 2-year-old mutt (Shepherd/Lab mix?) with anxiety issues. He sleeps in his kennel at night, in the bedroom so that he can see my girlfriend (the real owner) and myself. This works pretty well, except he oftentimes wakes up at 5 or 6 AM and decides to start whining. Ignoring him does nothing. Sometimes telling him sternly to shut up provides temporary relief.

What do I do here? A spray bottle? More yelling? Severe beatings?

Are you sure you've really ignored him? Do you ever let him out when he's complaining? Make sure he's eliminated before bed and don't give him water before bed, then buy a pair of earplugs and deal with it. You can't let him out or give him attention when he's making noise.

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah

Tristesse posted:

I usually just use dry balls of cotton or qtips. Shove in, twist a bit, pull out gunk.

Never shove anything into the inner ear or ear canal, you could damage something important.

(Just like with humans.)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Susan Calvin posted:

Did they check for ear mites?

I would leave it alone to be honest. Either he's got something going on that needs to be looked at specifically (like mites or an infection) or he's just gonna be one of those cats with naturally gooky ears. Zeus always had nasty looking ears and only once in his 5 years of having tons of other things wrong with him did he ever have an infection (and even then it was very mild). Cleaning his ears without a specific reason is more likely to result in you damaging them than anything.

Next time you see the vet, ask them how they think you should handle his ears. If it bothers you too much, or he seems to be messing with his ears a lot, go ahead and call them sooner.

Susan Calvin
Oct 20, 2008

But how does that make you feel?

Ceridwen posted:

Did they check for ear mites?

I would leave it alone to be honest. Either he's got something going on that needs to be looked at specifically (like mites or an infection) or he's just gonna be one of those cats with naturally gooky ears. Zeus always had nasty looking ears and only once in his 5 years of having tons of other things wrong with him did he ever have an infection (and even then it was very mild). Cleaning his ears without a specific reason is more likely to result in you damaging them than anything.

Next time you see the vet, ask them how they think you should handle his ears. If it bothers you too much, or he seems to be messing with his ears a lot, go ahead and call them sooner.

They did check for mites, and he was clean. He doesn't seem bothered by it, but I've never had a white cat before, so I'm not used to the ever so delicate pink ears. I guess it's just a matter of seeing if it bothers him.

How can I tell if he has an ear infection?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Susan Calvin posted:

How can I tell if he has an ear infection?

As long as they checked for mites I'd leave his ears alone. You may well be noticing his ears more because they are easier to see dirt in than other cats you have had/seen.

As for infections, scratching at ears, shaking the head a lot, etc. Zeus didn't really have any symptoms other than some head shaking.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My husband has developed a fear recently that he is going to accidentally step on and hurt or kill our dog (largish pit bull terrier, for the record) Is this even possible? Has anyone ever seriously injured a large dog by accidentally tripping over it/stepping on it or is my husband being unnecessarily nervous?

Dumbish question... I know, but he keeps asking me to ask online if anyone's ever heard of such a thing happening...

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

tokyoakazukin posted:

My husband has developed a fear recently that he is going to accidentally step on and hurt or kill our dog (largish pit bull terrier, for the record) Is this even possible? Has anyone ever seriously injured a large dog by accidentally tripping over it/stepping on it or is my husband being unnecessarily nervous?

Dumbish question... I know, but he keeps asking me to ask online if anyone's ever heard of such a thing happening...

Ive tripped over large dogs and hurt myself several times, they just got confused and/or disgruntled so yeah I'd say that's an irrational fear

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

tokyoakazukin posted:

If you have a tiny dog maybe, but with a largish pit you'd probably be fine. I accidentally step on, kick or fall over my animals daily as they think the best place to walk when I'm filling their bowls or water dish is right directly under or in front of my legs. Honestly I'm more worried about myself in those situations because I've landed on my rear end a few times due to them tripping me. Tell your husband he'll be fine.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks very much Superconductor and KilGrey. That was my impression too, but maybe he'll listen better now that I've got people to back me up.

Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD

Superconductor posted:

Ive tripped over large dogs and hurt myself several times, they just got confused and/or disgruntled so yeah I'd say that's an irrational fear

Backing this up. When Meiko and Dexter really get going the house is like a freaking zoo - its hard not to accidentally kick, step on, or trip over a zooming Akita Pitbull fuzzball. It usually doesn't even slow them down.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Zombiesinmyshower! posted:

Backing this up. When Meiko and Dexter really get going the house is like a freaking zoo - its hard not to accidentally kick, step on, or trip over a zooming Akita Pitbull fuzzball. It usually doesn't even slow them down.

Heh, I know what you mean. When my dog does one of his "pit fits" running room to room, it's not uncommon for him to headbutt my legs, which doesn't seem to faze him in the least, but man it hurts me and leaves some bruises.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

tokyoakazukin posted:

Heh, I know what you mean. When my dog does one of his "pit fits" running room to room, it's not uncommon for him to headbutt my legs, which doesn't seem to faze him in the least, but man it hurts me and leaves some bruises.

He's tenderizing you. One day soon he will strike.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Superconductor posted:

He's tenderizing you. One day soon he will strike.

I'd be more worried about that if he wasn't so awfully dumb.

I've been trying to teach him to "shake" but the idea completely eludes him. The first few days when I would hold his paw, repeat the command and give him treats he just looked confused. Then it started to upset him, and he would run away and hide, which I don't understand at all.

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
Does anyone have a good link on hybrid vigor and why it doesn't apply to dogs, preferably one that cites sources?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Umilele posted:

Does anyone have a good link on hybrid vigor and why it doesn't apply to dogs, preferably one that cites sources?

The number one reason is that a hybrid is a living organism that combines the genes of two different species, and all domestic dogs are the same species. But I'm sure someone will deliver you a fantastic source explaining the rest.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Umilele posted:

I don't think it's that it doesn't apply to dogs - it's just not a sure thing, especially if two breeds tend to share common ancestors or diseases. You may get a more fit F1 generation or you may not.

HOWEVER, if you make an F2 population or a backcross population (which a lot of breeders of dogs using these mutts as an excuse to make hypoallergenic labs or whatever do - breeding back to a poodle will enhance the chance that the offspring will have the poodle coat), the heterosis effects are pretty much null.

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
Got it, thanks to both of you!

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I randomly saw people posting on YouTube videos about having Fennec foxes as pets. Wikipedia seems to back up the claim that they can be domesticated and raised in that setting. Is this really plausible or are these people nutjobs? I think they're cute and all but I couldn't imagine having a Fennec in an apartment or home.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Not fennec foxes in particular but some people seem to think anything they can get into their houses counts as a pet... sticking in my mind right now is this person (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhoRdkhPi98) who keeps a tanuki (Japanese raccoon-dog animal) as a pet in their house. This is a completely wild animal, something that has no history of being domesticated or even living with humans at all! They're extremely shy and normally stay as far away from people in the wild as they can!

She even admits it tears things apart and bites her sometimes, but still she keeps it as a "pet."

It makes me pretty angry to see the animal hiding in fear/shyness or whatever because these people just decided to raise a wild animal in their house ... I don't know anything about fennecs but I'd assume just like many other "exotics" they're probably a nightmare and really shouldn't be kept as pets.

Morgan Miseree
Apr 18, 2006

Would you like me to lie to you now?
When does a papillon's fur stop growing?

I've got a chihuahua-papillon mix who's about two and a half years old. Every time I think his tail can't possibly get floofier, or his fur can't possibly get longer, I realize it's still growing. Currently, it appears that his ear-hair and the fur alongside his cheeks has begun to lengthen yet again. He already looks like he has a Santa beard as it is.

It's not that I've got a problem with the long fur--he's the cutest thing on legs--but it's something I've been curious about for a while, and I've never been able to find a satisfactory answer through Google.

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah

Morgan Miseree posted:

When does a papillon's fur stop growing?

I've got a chihuahua-papillon mix who's about two and a half years old. Every time I think his tail can't possibly get floofier, or his fur can't possibly get longer, I realize it's still growing. Currently, it appears that his ear-hair and the fur alongside his cheeks has begun to lengthen yet again. He already looks like he has a Santa beard as it is.

It's not that I've got a problem with the long fur--he's the cutest thing on legs--but it's something I've been curious about for a while, and I've never been able to find a satisfactory answer through Google.

Considering how, with a mutt like that, there's really no way to be totally sure, you may just want to take him to the groomer when you feel it's getting "too long." If it never gets "too long," just keep watching to see if it ever does.

But unless you post pictures, we can't really give you a good answer, now, can we? :)

Kavity
Jan 28, 2008
Apple goat bagel
I have an adult cat and a kitten living together in my home. My kitten is 3-4 months old and has a healthy appetite. The adult cat is about 2 years old and will eat until she throws up. she is very over weight right now and we've been trying not to let her eat so much but were having a problem with this because the kitten needs a steady supply of food all the time. We've also been exercising her but we think she may have even put more weight on. I looking for some suggestions as to how to do this correctly, as we cant starve the kitten but cant feed the fatty.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

RazorBunny posted:

The number one reason is that a hybrid is a living organism that combines the genes of two different species

You can get hybrid vigor by breeding different populations of the same species. See this article: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/264358/heterosis

For example, sickle cell anemia can be an example of hybrid vigor. Those individuals with one allele for sickle cell do better in malaria areas than those that are homozygous for normal cells or sickle cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
My mother-in-law's dog will nip at your hand if you go near a treat that is given to him. She seems to think it is a good idea to hit him on the nose, but that doesn't make much sense to me. What is the best way to get rid of this behavior