Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Dschingis Khan posted:

Picked up a 2005 EX500 with ~6,500 on the clock for $1,000.

It was down once, but everything broken was replaced, the only thing left to do is bolt on the bottom fairing and repaint the front fender when I feel like it.

I feel like I got a smashing deal, is that the general consensus here?

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

drat right you got a good deal on that bike :v:

That color came out loving awesome. I'm glad I chose it over bedliner. My only regret is now not having a bike for the awesome roads up here in NY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Just got this today, my first bike, a 1993 GS500e

The guy I bought it from dropped it off, and I gave him a ride home and did the paperwork. Got back and I had to get it off the street since it doesn't have plates. I've never even sat on a motorcycle before, so I was sitting there fiddling with the controls and figuring out how to start it. Not two minutes after sitting on it, an SUV rolls by and rolls down the window:

"Yo, is that a Ducati?"

I suddenly understood a slight iota of the hilariousness in store for me as a motorcycle owner.

The next hour or so consisted of me learning how to start the thing and ride for a few feet, getting it over a curb, up two grassy hills covered in roots, and into my back yard. I dropped it twice in the process, but let it down gently and on grass so there was no noticeable damage that I could discern from the scratches already present on a 17 year-old bike.

Riding it even just a few feet at a time was loving awesome, and I can't wait until I get tags on it and take my MSF so that I can actually get out on the road.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red = Ducati. I've had people ask me if my VFR is a Duc. Apparently the Honda logo isn't much of a tip-off.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Makes you wonder how guys on Indianas feel having to tell people it is one

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SlightlyMadman posted:

"Yo, is that a Ducati?"

I suddenly understood a slight iota of the hilariousness in store for me as a motorcycle owner.

The 3 stranger sportbike comments:

Hey dude nice crotch rocket/Ducati! How fast is that thing?

or

I know someone who had a motorcycle and he crashed into a bridge then flew into an orphanage and when his limbs flew off they impaled infants overall he killed like 48 people. Do you have any idea how dangerous those are?!?!

or the combo

Hey dude, nice crotch rocket. Those things are really fast. I knew someone who had a bike like yours, he died a couple years ago after he got a tattoo of a panther on his back, got drunk celebrating then rode his bike into a tree.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

So the real reason people wear half helmets is so everyone can see the hate in your eyes when they say things like that, right?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Z3n posted:

My riding mentor constantly bitches about how he sold his YZ. Cool bikes, and nice car :)

YZ or YSR? Thanks, They'll be better when they both run. :) anyone know where to get a decent cheap LED headlight?

Oh, I've also got this mini bike I made. I welded up the whole frame, aluminum fuel tank, marine vinyl seat, and made the handle bars. Everything else was from a stand up scooter.

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 12, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

NinjaTech posted:

Oh, I've also got this mini bike I made. I welded up the whole frame, aluminum fuel tank, marine vinyl seat, and made the handle bars. Everything else was from a stand up scooter.

hey dude nice crotch rocket, those things are really fast, i knew someone who had a bike like yours, he died a couple years ago after he got a tattoo of a panther on his back

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Is that a ducati?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
no way dude, it's my custom chopper. It's super fast though like a crotch rocket. 25mph top speed man, I need to slow the gently caress down before I die.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

SlightlyMadman posted:

Is that a ducati?

Is it broken? It sounds like it's broken.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bucephalus posted:

Is it broken? It sounds like it's broken.

I know of someone who got out of a big ticket playing that card with a dry clutch Duc.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I'd really like to have city/state info to go with all the dumbass comments in this thread. In the SF bay area I never get any comments ever, no matter what kind of bike I'm on. Sport/standard/brit/touring/ADV - no one gives a poo poo about bikes here I guess.

Of course the whole culture of 'Busa idiocy doesn't exist here either. I was amazed by the extended swingarm crap I saw all over the place in Virginia Beach, by comparison.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 13, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NinjaTech posted:

YZ or YSR? Thanks, They'll be better when they both run. :) anyone know where to get a decent cheap LED headlight?

YSR is what I meant. I've had this issue with typing lately.

And yeah, my experience in the bay and SB is that people generally give no gently caress about the fact that I ride. Although I've gotten a lot of grins and thumbs ups for hooliganism on the DRZ.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Z3n posted:

Although I've gotten a lot of grins and thumbs ups for hooliganism on the DRZ.

Those grins are snarling cops and when a security guard gives the thumbs up, make sure its not his middle thumb. Hooligan.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

AnnoyBot posted:

I'd really like to have city/state info to go with all the dumbass comments in this thread. In the SF bay area I never get any comments ever, no matter what kind of bike I'm on. Sport/standard/brit/touring/ADV - no one gives a poo poo about bikes here I guess.

Of course the whole culture of 'Busa idiocy doesn't exist here either. I was amazed by the extended swingarm crap I saw all over the place in Virginia Beach, by comparison.

Baltimore here, and while you do see bikes fairly often in the city, I have literally never seen anyone wearing gear.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Endless Mike posted:

I copied Becktastic. But I didn't do the tank since the graphics are under the clearcoat. My roommate says it looks like a zebra wrapped in barbed wire and I should put a sticker reading "gently caress You PETA" on it.

Click here for the full 1944x1458 image.

Armacham posted:

haha its definitely a lot cleaner than hers

I like my bike this way because it's a DIRTbike!

Just did two weeks in Mexico. :cheers:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Somewhere in Arizona.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

AnnoyBot posted:

I'd really like to have city/state info to go with all the dumbass comments in this thread

Birmingham, Alabama area for me. I had a guy ask me if my Ninja 250 was a Ducati. We were at the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum and he was wearing a Ducati hat. I'm still not sure if he was joking or not.

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.

NinjaTech posted:

Requesting a pic of someone sitting on it/riding it.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I'm beginning to need a garage, but at least I will always have 1 bike reserving the best parking spot for the other :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Here's me on my first ever bike, feeling really :smug:

It's a Minsk, an old Soviet two-stroke probably built in the 80's. I bought it three weeks ago from some French guy in Saigon for $360 US, and me and a couple of friends are riding up to Hanoi with three bikes between us. Right now we're in Pleiku which is about a third of the way there.

360 was probably way too much to pay, since it's an absolute piece of poo poo. I only learned to ride a motorbike about a week before I bought it, on a nicely-maintained XR250 in Cambodia, so I guess I was a sucker. The gears constantly stick (I had to ride 20 k's into Mui Ne stuck in second), there is literally no front suspension, the steering column is shaking loose and the brakes are very weak. I also had my first accident yesterday, on a lonely mountain trail, which snapped off my (single) wing mirror and the clutch, and bent the handlebars and gear lever. Got a new clutch fitted by a drunken Vietnamese redneck and then had to ride fifty k's to Pleiku in a tropical thunderstorm.

I love my life right now.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Goddamit I want your life right now.

Seriously.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
that bike is pretty awesome

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

sklnd posted:

that bike is pretty awesome

that trip is pretty awesome

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

MrZig posted:

Somewhere in Arizona.

those things look so insane stripped back naked. I love them, I'm hoping to pick one up in the next couple of months to turn nekkid...

so many bikes.. so little time

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Tsaven Nava posted:

Goddamit I want your life right now.

Seriously.

Aren't you the dude who spent like four months riding all over North America? I want YOUR life. I saw your Alaska post and thought "that is awesome," and then found out it was part of a larger trip and thought "that is SO awesome."

Even though we're loving the poo poo out of this trip, we're still daydreaming about the next one. Our pipe dream is to ride all the way from the north tip of North America (Murchison Promontory) to the southern tip of South America (Cape Froward). I've been researching the north tip though, and it looks pretty impossible. There are no roads in Nunavut - like, at all. So it may have to be from Prudhoe Bay to the south tip.

Anyways, to be honest I wasn't loving yesterday my life yesterday. The crash was bad enough, aand then as we were riding in the heaviest rain I've ever seen along a muddy road at 5 k's an hour I was actually thinking "I hate my life,I hate my life, I hate my life, what the gently caress am I doing here when I could be back home in a pub." It's all great memories in retrospect, but at the time I was thoroughly fed up.

I also have to mention that while riding a rickety bucket of Soviet bolts sounds like a hilarious, fantastic experience, it's actually a lot more unamusing in practice. I really can't wait to get back to the first world and own a bike that works properly.

Other than yesterday, though, this trip has been fantastic. Here's my blog if anyone's interested:

http://gentlemenoftheroad.wordpress.com/

I have to give props to another goon though, Pompous Rhombus, who did Northern Vietnam and Laos a few years back and gave me some tips and advice. And took better photos than me.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

freebooter posted:

Safe travels, and raise a glass to the memory of Sean Flynn while you're out there. You're no less daring, but at least you won't have to contend with AK-wielding psychos.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

freebooter posted:

Aren't you the dude who spent like four months riding all over North America? I want YOUR life. I saw your Alaska post and thought "that is awesome," and then found out it was part of a larger trip and thought "that is SO awesome."

Even though we're loving the poo poo out of this trip, we're still daydreaming about the next one. Our pipe dream is to ride all the way from the north tip of North America (Murchison Promontory) to the southern tip of South America (Cape Froward). I've been researching the north tip though, and it looks pretty impossible. There are no roads in Nunavut - like, at all. So it may have to be from Prudhoe Bay to the south tip.

Anyways, to be honest I wasn't loving yesterday my life yesterday. The crash was bad enough, aand then as we were riding in the heaviest rain I've ever seen along a muddy road at 5 k's an hour I was actually thinking "I hate my life,I hate my life, I hate my life, what the gently caress am I doing here when I could be back home in a pub." It's all great memories in retrospect, but at the time I was thoroughly fed up.

I also have to mention that while riding a rickety bucket of Soviet bolts sounds like a hilarious, fantastic experience, it's actually a lot more unamusing in practice. I really can't wait to get back to the first world and own a bike that works properly.

Other than yesterday, though, this trip has been fantastic. Here's my blog if anyone's interested:

http://gentlemenoftheroad.wordpress.com/

I have to give props to another goon though, Pompous Rhombus, who did Northern Vietnam and Laos a few years back and gave me some tips and advice. And took better photos than me.

Eh, to steal from Dan Walsh:

These are the days that must happen to you.

Good luck out there, stay safe, and post a trip report if you feel up to it :)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

freebooter posted:

Hi Richard Hammond! What brings you to SomethingAwful???

(I wasn't the only one thinking that right?)

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Ziploc posted:

Hi Richard Hammond! What brings you to SomethingAwful???

(I wasn't the only one thinking that right?)

You probably were, since he doesn't look like Richard Hammond.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

freebooter posted:

It's a Minsk, an old Soviet two-stroke... riding up to Hanoi ...

The gears constantly stick (I had to ride 20 k's into Mui Ne stuck in second), there is literally no front suspension, the steering column is shaking loose and the brakes are very weak.... snapped off my (single) wing mirror and the clutch, and bent the handlebars and gear lever. Got a new clutch fitted by a drunken Vietnamese redneck ...

Spot on, mate. You rock.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

TheFonz posted:

You probably were, since he doesn't look like Richard Hammond.

Yes but he's riding a Minsk from Saigon to Hanoi, which is precisely what Hamster did.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

freebooter posted:

Even though we're loving the poo poo out of this trip, we're still daydreaming about the next one.

This.

And I get hating the adventure when you're in it, my week spending northern Alberta and the Northwest Territories was like that. I hated motorcycles, hated Canada, hated everything in the world, and I especially hated myself for not just taking the Alcan like a sane person.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure a ride from the tip of Nunavut would be next to impossible without a LOT of support, and even then I doubt it. There aren't even any ATV or hiking trails into Nunavut, and the only ice road barely peaks over the border from the NWT connecting to Yellowknife. You'd be dealing with 2000+ miles of very, very dense forest and hundereds of river crossings.

Only realistic option would be either from Prudhoe or Inuvick.

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set
about creating my robot whores, tia Science
:roboluv:

Tsaven Nava posted:

This.

And I get hating the adventure when you're in it, my week spending northern Alberta and the Northwest Territories was like that. I hated motorcycles, hated Canada, hated everything in the world, and I especially hated myself for not just taking the Alcan like a sane person.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.”
- Marco Polo

That's what it's all about :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

wrong thread.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 17, 2010

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
'83 Honda Nighthawk 750. More staying power than A Flock of Seagulls, and slightly more horsepower.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've always loved the honda 4 into 4 pipes. Is the bike as clean as it looks in the picture?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeftyChris
Mar 28, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Nice ninja,but sort that license plate holder out,sticks out way too far!
I like the dog just chilling in the pick up behind too
Where are you?The US?How come the super unleaded is only 91RON?It's 99 RON over here in the Uk