Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm downloading it right now, it should enable Blend support for Z30, I don't expect any other change compared to 10.3 preview I was running before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
No lie, I am using the Classic for work now, and it's a great work phone. As in email, texting, phone calls, etc works great, and I can securely check them on my iPad or android tab if I need to for whatever reason.

It absolutely sucks at everything else, but for work only and you have a 2nd phone to use for personal use, it is at least usable there.

However, I now def type slower on a physical keyboard than touchscreen.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Blend is pretty cool, it gives you access to all the messaging options of Hub and calendar on your PC. It also works through wifi.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

alex314 posted:

Blend is pretty cool, it gives you access to all the messaging options of Hub and calendar on your PC. It also works through wifi.

Easily the best productivity update I've had in a long time. So long, constantly having to find, pick up, and check my phone for bbms and pins!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Update is pretty solid, no problems so far. Blend doesn't catch all info from Hub, for example facebook messenger won't show up, same goes to app notifications. Still works pretty well with phone on wifi and my computer on wired.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Icons look prettier I guess. Any battery life issues with this update? My Q10 seems to be draining a little quicker now. I mean I only use it for tethering on the train ride home but usually it's only like 1/4 depleted by 5. Now it's more like 1/2 gone. Not really using it for calls or anything so I dunno.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Martytoof posted:

Icons look prettier I guess. Any battery life issues with this update? My Q10 seems to be draining a little quicker now. I mean I only use it for tethering on the train ride home but usually it's only like 1/4 depleted by 5. Now it's more like 1/2 gone. Not really using it for calls or anything so I dunno.

My q10's been a battery pig for a long time, but I'm actually finding that Blend has addressed the battery issue by changing my workflow so that I can leave it charging all the time and use my desktop for communication.

... not that that really helps your use case, I suppose.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

10.3 finally rolling out to Z30s on Rogers.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Two new devices announced:
Leap - 275$ low-mid range device with z10-like specs, which would be ok in 2013, and not when Lumia 640 XL will cost around 200$!
New slider

which is completely unknown except for that photo. I've loved the old 9800, if it has decent specs I'd consider it as an replacement for Z30.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

alex314 posted:

Leap - 275$ low-mid range device with z10-like specs, which would be ok in 2013, and not when Lumia 640 XL will cost around 200$!
New slider

which is completely unknown except for that photo. I've loved the old 9800, if it has decent specs I'd consider it as an replacement for Z30.

A full touchscreen and physical keyboard would make a pretty solid combination. I definitely get the appeal.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

alex314 posted:

New slider

That slider looks absurdly top heavy; I don't know how you'd type on it without it falling out of your hands.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

uninterrupted posted:

That slider looks absurdly top heavy; I don't know how you'd type on it without it falling out of your hands.

I've also noticed that. Some people had similar observations while typing on Passport. Maybe most of heavier elements will be in lower part, maybe it fits your two-thumb typing pose with index fingers supporting the device. Passport was 196 grams, maybe this device ends up with 150. Time will tell.
I like the addition of physical call buttons and touchpad (I hope), and I enjoy the fact that BB is pretty much the only company that offers anything other than different sizes of touch-only slabs. I hope they don't gently caress it up :ohdear:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
BlackBerry® Leap™ off a cliff

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A slider phone in 2015, man...

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

A slider phone in 2015, man...

They cannot sell below cost like Microsoft, don't have Apple's cult following, aren't part of huge multi-sector tech giant like Samsung and cannot fight on cost/performance like Xiaomi or Meizu. They have to take risks with unusual form factor, and I'm happy they are trying.

Supposedly 4 new phones will launch this year. So far we know about Leap, Porsche Design overpriced poo poo and slider. Most people bet on beefied up classic.

e:
Shamelessly stolen gif of new slider:

It looks thinner than I've expected.

alex314 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 5, 2015

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I forgot my phone at home today. Because I have Blend installed on my computer at work, I still have access to all my email, bbm, and text messages. Blackberry saved me an hour's worth of extra driving today.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I didn't know it works outside of the same network, it's pretty cool. I see more lightly used Passports reaching 350$ mark, when they reach 250 I'll strongly consider getting one.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

alex314 posted:

I didn't know it works outside of the same network, it's pretty cool. I see more lightly used Passports reaching 350$ mark, when they reach 250 I'll strongly consider getting one.

You can enable blend over telecommunications networks in the settings menu, and it'll automatically jump from wifi/usb cable to data. I suppose that it makes things a little less secure, in that if you were to lose your computer with blend installed someone else would have access to all your stuff, but ultimately it's still all password protected and whatnot.

Where are you seeing the prices come down? I'd love to jump on the passport train when I need to get a new personal phone.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I check my local Blackberry fan forum. Those 350$ ones are universally carrier branded, but I don't think any carrier cares about BB enough to add crapware to install.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's a slow time for Blackberry, but I'll post some highlights from the last week or two:
- Leap was launched - expect something like Z30, but with better screen. Z30 is still readily available, and discounted below Leap pricepoint. Leap could be interesting only for fans of BB OS that don't like the size of Passport or qwerty, or to companies that have a "fleet" of Blackberry phones. It's more expensive than Lumia 640 XL or OnePlus One
- There was a minor update for BBOS
- Leaks of China only Passport and Porsche Design "Passport" appeared, nothing interesting.
- Blackberry has a 6% market share... in Africa.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Got a Leap today from my rep, it's not a bad replacement for the Z30 but it's literally just that, same as the Z30.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is there a forums app that works for Blackberry or can you just use the Android one?

I'm considering picking up a Z30 or Classic since I live in a rural area with poo poo reception and Blackberrys are good for that apparently.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

unlimited shrimp posted:

Is there a forums app that works for Blackberry or can you just use the Android one?

I'm considering picking up a Z30 or Classic since I live in a rural area with poo poo reception and Blackberrys are good for that apparently.

Blackberries aren't any better for wireless reception than other modern phones. I'd strongly advise against them if that's why you wanted one.

Older ones seemed to be better because they barely used the data networks at all, so you didn't mind as much when you were stuck on 2G networks that used to have wider coverage, but if you're going to be browsing the forums it won't help at all.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Use the android app. It works pretty well.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/11/us-blackberry-google-android-idUSKBN0OR2ZM20150611 posted:

BlackBerry (BB.TO) is considering equipping an upcoming smartphone with Google Inc.'s (GOOGL.O) Android software for the first time, an acknowledgement that its revamped line of devices has failed to win mass appeal, according to four sources familiar with the matter.

Well, I wouldn't mind having choice between BB OS and Android. I remember having dual boot on HTC HD2, it was one magical phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

alex314 posted:

Well, I wouldn't mind having choice between BB OS and Android. I remember having dual boot on HTC HD2, it was one magical phone.

They aren't talking dual boot afaik, just Android on BB hardware. Dual boot would be pretty pointless since nobody wants BlackBerry software.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

They aren't talking dual boot afaik, just Android on BB hardware. Dual boot would be pretty pointless since nobody wants BlackBerry software.

Slider specs were leaked too:
5.4-inch Quad-HD display
18 MP rear-camera
5 MP front-camera
1.8 GHz Hexa-core (Snapdragon 808 chipset) 64-bit
3 GB RAM
Probable release date november 2015.

OS-wise I've got mixed feelings: I know android with google services is superior to BB OS, but I like using the latter more..

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's nothing at all indicating that it WILL be android with google services. It could very well be a forked android like Amazon's fire line.

If it is a google sanctioned version of android, I could see that spelling the end for the Android runtime that's included in other Blackberrys. Google has strict rules for companies if you want access to google services and I could see that running afoul of them. For example, neither Amazon NOR Amazon's ODM can develop or manufacturer a device that uses google services as long as they sell and manufacturer a device that uses a forked version of Android.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That's suck, because I kinda like BB OS, even if it looks and feels dated compared to others. There are rumours about low cost Android device codenamed "Prague", that looks like z3 with android. It's supposed to be sold in India and other cost sensitive markets. I guess BB cannot afford cost of developing OS with any kind of parity of features with the other big players.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

On thinking on it my best guess is that BlackBerry will narrow their focus a bit:
    1) Bring new keyboard, mail, calendar, BBM apps for iOS, Android, Windows phones that mimic the BB10 Hub and charge for it
    2) Secure all that with BES12 and Android for Work
    3) Grab some of the automotive and IoT dollars with QNX
    4) Get out of hardware entirely save for three devices (made by their Leap-making partners):
      a) Passport descendents (BB10, maybe sans Android runtime)
      b) Samsung Edge-based slider (the hypothesized QNX/Android hybrid OS)
      c) Z3/Leap descendants on Android with Hub apps (or leave this to Samsung)
Not sure which one of these would get that rumored anti-bacterial Gorilla Glass 4 for their push into healthcare and making a germ-resistant phone. Maybe a fourth model based on the Leap but running BB10?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There's a video and some screen shots of the Passport running Android:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-passport-silver-edition-appears-be-running-android-instead-blackberry-10

Of course it's very likely some photoshop fuckery, but if real it'd be amazing. I'm short on cash, but I see more Passports available in 300$ price range, almost pulled a trigger on one. Too bad silver edition ones won't get into that range anytime soon. Then there's the matter of slider becoming available shortly.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Yeah I picked up one of the passports.

I missed blackberry.

at this point they should just make awesome phones and skip trying to innovate an OS that just isnt capturing attention.

I kinda like it though, it does everything i need. runs all the android apps I use.

I think the only thing it doesn't do is work with my aftermarket pioneer head unit as far as putting song info on screen and using the steering wheel controls for music. Which is slightly annoying.

The battery is tops though.

If there was an android rom with the BB10 hub on passport, I would be on that quicker than a fat kid on cake.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There's a lot of rumors that new slider 'Venice' shown on CES a while ago will run Android. If those rumors turn true maybe someone will cook a custom rom like in good old HTC HD2 times.
What edition Passport have you got? I've nearly bought regular black one a while ago, but now I'm too poor to consider a new/used phone.

e: There's also this thing:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/633900483787247616

supposedly Passport running Android is in the works.

alex314 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 25, 2015

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

alex314 posted:

There's a lot of rumors that new slider 'Venice' shown on CES a while ago will run Android. If those rumors turn true maybe someone will cook a custom rom like in good old HTC HD2 times.
What edition Passport have you got? I've nearly bought regular black one a while ago, but now I'm too poor to consider a new/used phone.

e: There's also this thing:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/633900483787247616

supposedly Passport running Android is in the works.

I have the OG black one, picked it up from a friend for like 250 as i dumped my nexus 5 in a sink like a brilliant person.

So far every time i put it on a table at a restaurant people want to know what it is, and who shrunk my laptop.

I do love the look of that slider, but I'd rather get android without being googles complete bitch, maybe a cyanogen variant or something..

:tinfoil:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

SneakyFrog posted:

I do love the look of that slider, but I'd rather get android without being googles complete bitch, maybe a cyanogen variant or something..

:tinfoil:

I'm hoping that they're planning a deal with Jolla. They almost definitely aren't, but it's fun to dream.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TopherCStone posted:

I'm hoping that they're planning a deal with Jolla. They almost definitely aren't, but it's fun to dream.

oh now that would be nice.

but you are def right.. unlikely as gently caress.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Maybe John Chen is the mobile world messiah we need and he'll be first to allow you any modern OS you want with BB OS, Android, Tizen, Jolla, Ubuntu Phone, Firefox OS and Windows 10 as options. :pray:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There are some more pictures of the new slider phone:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-venice-slider-spotted-once-again-some-clearer-images

I'm not a fan of curved displays.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

alex314 posted:

There are some more pictures of the new slider phone:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-venice-slider-spotted-once-again-some-clearer-images

I'm not a fan of curved displays.

The keyboard looks kind of uncomfortable, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TopherCStone posted:

The keyboard looks kind of uncomfortable, too.

I think its mainly that lip at the edge of the k/b looks all kindsa uncomfortable.

• Locked thread