Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
You've been killing it lately. I like the consistency of the subject matter and aspect ratio. Glad you're getting back to shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KleenexCMW
Dec 26, 2003
That's no pumpkin, that's a beetroot!
Vacation photo time! Picked up a circular polarizer before this trip, it was cool being able to adjust how the water looked as I shot.

Nassau, Bahamas

IMG_6650-64 by kleenexcmw, on Flickr

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

IMG_6749-86 by kleenexcmw, on Flickr

eekabeep
Aug 31, 2007
not tag

Whitezombi posted:

Very nice. Where is this?

Thanks! I'm a bit late, but it's a bit South / East of Salem, Oregon.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

:drat: talk about atmosphere!

(those aren't sensor dust spots, they're hot air balloons :ssh: )

DSC_4739 by chazaraz, on Flickr

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Whitezombi posted:

I like this - do you have a color version?

Thanks! I couldn't get it looking right in color the other day, but I took another whack at it:

Lake Superior - Color by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Spring is (finally) coming back:

Akam-tur 24.02.2013 by azathosk, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Spime Wrangler posted:

Thanks! I couldn't get it looking right in color the other day, but I took another whack at it:

Lake Superior - Color by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Much better! This is exactly how I saw it in my mind.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Rowers on the Derwent by Alex Gard, on Flickr

edit:

I'll post this here, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Some feedback would be nice on it. I'm just playing around with my new 3 stop Gradual neutral grey filter. Pretty new to it but I'm already seeing how much fun I'm going to have with it in the future.

not sure by Alex Gard, on Flickr

The first thing that comes to mind is I wish I'd had a longer exposure to make the water a lot softer. Also I think the contrast between the top and bottom half of the picture don't match each other too well. thoughts?

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 27, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Problem I see with it is that the subject with the best lighting (the boat) is crammed into the lower left corner. There's really nothing to balance it on the other side of the image.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

I really love the composition here--great job

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

IMG_5347 by spf3million, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Nuclear Dreamscape by Myotomy, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 28, 2013

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Jesus H. Christ. Gorgeous.

This is rad. Get out of here, STALKER!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Whitezombi posted:

Jesus H. Christ. Gorgeous.

This is rad. Get out of here, STALKER!

This is why I don't like the portrayal of a coal plant as a dark foreboding nuclear plant.

Nuclear plants are happy places :colbert:

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Very cool idea.

Cant wait for summer so I can shoot some warmer.... rocks...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

god drat

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

shooting landscapes with 400mm lenses :snoop:

P2280029.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I went for a drive today.

IMG_2897 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_2851-2 by s-bothun, on Flickr

IMG_2900 by s-bothun, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

I really love this shot.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kujaroth posted:

I really love this shot.

Is this a really popular dock or are there a lot of docks located on desolate lakes with mountains at the shore?

(Love this photo)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Fantastic. I can't wait to go here. Booked 4 nights in June. You're getting me all excited!

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Fantastic. I can't wait to go here. Booked 4 nights in June. You're getting me all excited!

It's a great spot. Four nights at Milford Sound (assuming that's what you mean) is plenty of time - perhaps even a little bit too much time! But the area is mindblowingly stunning, the drive in to the Sound perhaps even more so than the Sound itself so you shouldn't find yourself wanting of things to do. Although I don't know what it is like in Winter, as I was there in Summer.

Casu Marzu posted:

Is this a really popular dock or are there a lot of docks located on desolate lakes with mountains at the shore?

(Love this photo)

Sorry, I don't really get the meaning of your question. It is not, as far as I know, a popular dock. As for the second part, I have no idea? In New Zealand I daresay there are, I know I shot a few of them on that trip.

And, thanks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kujaroth posted:

Sorry, I don't really get the meaning of your question. It is not, as far as I know, a popular dock. As for the second part, I have no idea? In New Zealand I daresay there are, I know I shot a few of them on that trip.

And, thanks.

Seeing your photo I was hit with a huge deja vu, like I've seen this exact scene more than once in the past, and I'm trying to figure out if either that is a popular destination with photographers or there's more than one area in NZ with a perfect dock reaching out into a beautiful lake.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

All three of those photos are great, but I really love the light falling on the mountain in this one. I don't know if you're looking for critique but I might consider an even more extreme horizontal, cropping up from the bottom some.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

BobTheCow posted:

All three of those photos are great, but I really love the light falling on the mountain in this one. I don't know if you're looking for critique but I might consider an even more extreme horizontal, cropping up from the bottom some.

Thanks. I'll experiment with a tighter crop, although I had a bit of trouble getting anything much tighter to work in my mind.

Casu Marzu posted:

Seeing your photo I was hit with a huge deja vu, like I've seen this exact scene more than once in the past, and I'm trying to figure out if either that is a popular destination with photographers or there's more than one area in NZ with a perfect dock reaching out into a beautiful lake.

I've seen a handful of shots from this exact location but it definitely isn't top-of-the-list for most photographers in NZ. Though anyone who stops in Te Anau en-route to Milford Sound would have the chance to shoot it. But, there are lots of lakes in NZ, most of those lakes are surrounded by mountains (in fact every lake I visited was surrounded by mountains) and most of them have jetties. What I wouldn't give to live on the South Island of NZ instead of Sydney...

This is one other jetty I shot on that trip:

There's another one from another jetty I haven't processed yet.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
Here's my attempt at a winter scene.

Frost Farm by Flying Ferris, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kujaroth posted:

I've seen a handful of shots from this exact location but it definitely isn't top-of-the-list for most photographers in NZ. Though anyone who stops in Te Anau en-route to Milford Sound would have the chance to shoot it. But, there are lots of lakes in NZ, most of those lakes are surrounded by mountains (in fact every lake I visited was surrounded by mountains) and most of them have jetties. What I wouldn't give to live on the South Island of NZ instead of Sydney...

This is one other jetty I shot on that trip:

There's another one from another jetty I haven't processed yet.

:allears: This is just lovely. I need to get that way someday.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
The weather never cooperates with me when I'm hiking... but I liked these two shots anyway:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Kujaroth posted:

It's a great spot. Four nights at Milford Sound (assuming that's what you mean) is plenty of time - perhaps even a little bit too much time! But the area is mindblowingly stunning, the drive in to the Sound perhaps even more so than the Sound itself so you shouldn't find yourself wanting of things to do. Although I don't know what it is like in Winter, as I was there in Summer.

Yep, 4 nights at Milford. That's only part of an 8 week journey in SE Asia, Australia, and New Zealand I have coming up. I'm hoping to flood this thread in the future.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Santa Monica by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 3, 2013

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
Does it still count as a landscape if it's got bokeh?

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Yep, 4 nights at Milford. That's only part of an 8 week journey in SE Asia, Australia, and New Zealand I have coming up. I'm hoping to flood this thread in the future.

I could spend eight weeks in NZ on it's own. So much to shoot there.

Casu Marzu posted:

:allears: This is just lovely. I need to get that way someday.

Thanks. Couple more jetties from Te Anau (well one is the same from a different angle):

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost
Rocks you say?

Josuha Tree National Park by jkm3000, on Flickr

jm3000 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 3, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Need to fix your verticals in that second shot.

I like the processing though, the colors really pop. The dusk shot is probably the best of the bunch.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Landscape Thirds by torgeaux, on Flickr

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

JDD_0070.jpg by jdoscher, on Flickr

Kirk's Rock, Vasquez Rocks State Park.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

A Bright Spot by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
Not usually into black and white stuff, but the lighting on this one seemed to make it work well.

LonelyRoadSeeksTraveler by m.clifford82, on Flickr

Most of the landscape stuff I've done so far has been around waterfalls since it's hard to throw a rock without hitting one in Oregon. This is from Starvation Creek Falls, Hood River OR

IMG_3922 by m.clifford82, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

That's paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Reichstag posted:

That's paper.

Thanks and thanks to everyone else for the kind words.

The Empty Hospital by Myotomy, on Flickr