Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
We have a day and are spending the night on Prager Straße (my wife likes to shop) in June. We planned on hitting the highlights of the walk that takes you from the train station down to the church and old palace and then spending the evening on the Elbe as you had suggested. So if you have a recommended outdoor restaurant/biergarten I'd be glad to hear that.

I'm reading in (an older) guide book that the Neues Museum and Egyptian Museum require a "Zeitfensterticket" to get in without a long wait and can be done online. However I am having trouble finding the place where I make the reservations for that ticket, assuming that I want to use a Museum Island Welcome Card and get in for "free." Could someone help me find this page? My German is just good enough to where I can get in trouble if I start saying I know exactly what I'm doing when speaking/reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

LaserWash posted:

We have a day and [...] (my wife likes to shop)

Condolences. ;) If you want to stay in the old town area, there is only one Biergarten near the river on the Neustadt side, but they do not have much food I think. But you could also just join all the people that will be sitting on the grass near the river having little picknicks (if the weather is nice).
Otherwise, maybe go to Weiße Gasse or Königsstraße to eat beforehand (I'd suggest Gänsedieb and Prager Bierstuben, respectively). If you always wanted to drink out of 1,5l beer mugs, go to Schiesshaus, the food is also nice.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Ah, so basically I'm in the boring part of the city? Bummer...

Any good Turkish or other ethnic food near FU, or is that all in, uh, downtown as well?

I can't imagine there being any good kebab houses in Dahlem. Look out for "Gemüse Döner", they're usually better than your garden variety kebabs. If there's two in close vicinity, chose the more expensive one. Trust me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

elbkaida posted:

go to Schiesshaus
For the love of God if you plan on asking someone the way there check a pronunciation guide first

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So am I completely retarded, or is it essentially impossible to make online purchases with a bank account that's only linked to a Maestro debit card? There's no CVV code.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

horse mans posted:

So am I completely retarded, or is it essentially impossible to make online purchases with a bank account that's only linked to a Maestro debit card? There's no CVV code.

Some sites let you pay with your EC Karte/bank transfer, but otherwise, you'll need to get a credit card. Debit cards don't really exist in Germany :(

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Gold and a Pager posted:

Some sites let you pay with your EC Karte/bank transfer, but otherwise, you'll need to get a credit card. Debit cards don't really exist in Germany :(

Goddamnit. There goes another week waiting for more bullshit mail and paying more bullshit per month.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

horse mans posted:

Goddamnit. There goes another week waiting for more bullshit mail and paying more bullshit per month.

You can get a credit card for free from many online banks, but you'll have to go through the whole process of doing Postident at the post office.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Gold and a Pager posted:

You can get a credit card for free from many online banks, but you'll have to go through the whole process of doing Postident at the post office.

My EC card is from Deutsche Bank, so they already have me in their system and it shouldn't be a lot of work to upgrade my account, just a lot more waiting around. It's my fault, basically, but it's difficult to suss out the idea that 'credit' and 'debit' mean different things in Germany. In the US, I've never had a credit card and I've never bought anything on credit. So I went with the cheapest bank account they offered since I figured that'd be all I needed.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

horse mans posted:

Most reputable German online vendors also accept PayPal, which can be linked to a German bank account. There are also some payment systems that are basically prepaid cards.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

horse mans posted:

My EC card is from Deutsche Bank, so they already have me in their system and it shouldn't be a lot of work to upgrade my account, just a lot more waiting around. It's my fault, basically, but it's difficult to suss out the idea that 'credit' and 'debit' mean different things in Germany. In the US, I've never had a credit card and I've never bought anything on credit. So I went with the cheapest bank account they offered since I figured that'd be all I needed.

Deutsche Bank takes about 30-40€ a year from you though for a credit card. Just get an ING DiBa account and you can get money from any ATM with the Visa logo for free.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Zwille posted:

Deutsche Bank takes about 30-40€ a year from you though for a credit card. Just get an ING DiBa account and you can get money from any ATM with the Visa logo for free.

If I go through the trouble of closing the one account and opening the next it's going to be like three months from now when all the bullshit from not having any real identification to not knowing how my washing machine works settles down a little.

For the interested, registering a PayPal account requires the ability to view information associated with transactions, as they make a small deposit with some piece of data that they want you to provide back. Which requires what I guess people call a TAN block of numbers. Which I don't have. So I guess I'm done loving around with this until next week.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

horse mans posted:

If I go through the trouble of closing the one account and opening the next it's going to be like three months from now when all the bullshit from not having any real identification to not knowing how my washing machine works settles down a little.

For the interested, registering a PayPal account requires the ability to view information associated with transactions, as they make a small deposit with some piece of data that they want you to provide back. Which requires what I guess people call a TAN block of numbers. Which I don't have. So I guess I'm done loving around with this until next week.

Unless PayPal's registration system has been changed since I created an account, it does not require you to transfer money directly over to PayPal. So you would not need a TAN. The piece of data is basically how many cents they transfer to your account, which you should see on your bank statement ("Kontoauszug"). Those can usually be accessed either by online banking or in one your local Deutsche Bank subsidary. They have machines there, that will print out your bank statement, once you enter your bank car/debit card. (Those machines are either next to the ATMs or the function is integrated in the ATM terminal. Not sure which models Deutsche Bank uses.)

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Randler posted:

Unless PayPal's registration system has been changed since I created an account, it does not require you to transfer money directly over to PayPal. So you would not need a TAN. The piece of data is basically how many cents they transfer to your account, which you should see on your bank statement ("Kontoauszug"). Those can usually be accessed either by online banking or in one your local Deutsche Bank subsidary. They have machines there, that will print out your bank statement, once you enter your bank car/debit card. (Those machines are either next to the ATMs or the function is integrated in the ATM terminal. Not sure which models Deutsche Bank uses.)

It has changed. They transfer the money over, say exactly how much it is (0,45€) and the data is probably in the memo field of the transaction. I suppose I could go to the Deutsche Bank and pull my transaction log. Either way, still done for the night. Thanks all for your help.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

You don't need a TAN to view account information with Deutsche Bank. Just your PIN/passcode for online banking.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Zwille posted:

You don't need a TAN to view account information with Deutsche Bank. Just your PIN/passcode for online banking.

Haven't received that yet, either :-/ All that was in the envelope was my EC card and a letter with nothing resembling a PIN. There's also all the papers I got from when I opened the account but I've skimmed them and haven't seen anything that stands out as a PIN, either.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 12, 2013

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, you usually get the card, PIN and TAN all in separate envelopes/letters a couple days apart just to make sure not all eggs are in the same basket. Don't remember about the online passcode though except they had me make up my own at the first log-in.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

For the love of God if you plan on asking someone the way there check a pronunciation guide first

I see this as potentially problematic if you don't know German phonetic structure. Haha.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I have a fairly specific question that I hope is appropriate here. My wife and I are moving to Berlin in June; she'll be working at Max Planck, and I'll be using telepresence to keep up my job in the US (which, thankfully, won't require that much VoIP calling since it's mostly web-served deadline-based stuff). However, I will need a reliable internet connection with decent bandwidth. To add a further complication, I'll be looking to have the connection up and running as quickly as possible (e.g., within a week of signing a lease, if possible). I've heard some nightmare stories about 4-6 week installation times, so I'm interested to know if there's any way to avoid that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

It's a crapshoot really. I heard those stories too and some friends are still waiting for their access, but I got my access in under a week I think. The company changed owners in the meantime, used to be Alice DSL/Hansenet, now it's O2.

I'm not 100% sure but a mobile internet connection like an UMTS stick or tethered smartphone might me much faster to get, maybe your employer will cover that? That is, unless you have to handle big files fast.

clownpenis
Nov 24, 2003

1secondpersecond posted:

I have a fairly specific question that I hope is appropriate here. My wife and I are moving to Berlin in June; she'll be working at Max Planck, and I'll be using telepresence to keep up my job in the US (which, thankfully, won't require that much VoIP calling since it's mostly web-served deadline-based stuff). However, I will need a reliable internet connection with decent bandwidth. To add a further complication, I'll be looking to have the connection up and running as quickly as possible (e.g., within a week of signing a lease, if possible). I've heard some nightmare stories about 4-6 week installation times, so I'm interested to know if there's any way to avoid that.

I've had great experience with Kabel Deutschland in comparison to the usual Telekom/O2/1&1 4+ week installation time general fuckery. It took them only a week to come and install my modem. I guess since they're just installing a cable modem the waiting times aren't too long:

http://www.kabeldeutschland.de/portal/faq/article/id/161

However, as with everything in Germany, your mileage may considerably vary.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

1secondpersecond posted:

How/Where are you living? If you're finding a short term place beforehand, like with an agency or untermieten, then you will most likely have internet already in place. It's only if you're getting a completely new lease that you'll have to get everything set up.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

How/Where are you living? If you're finding a short term place beforehand, like with an agency or untermieten, then you will most likely have internet already in place. It's only if you're getting a completely new lease that you'll have to get everything set up.

That's good to know. Max Planck has a guest residence that we will be able to use for the first two weeks, so I'm thinking that things will work out fine as long as I prioritize finding a permanent lease and sign up for internet, using an 02stick or something similar as a fill-in measure if necessary.

Clownpenis, it looks like Kabel Deutschland is going to be my best bet for a high bandwidth connection to support teleconferencing anyway, so I'm glad to hear that their installation times aren't as bad as those for DSL.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

1secondpersecond posted:

using an 02stick or something similar as a fill-in measure if necessary.

If you sign up for a DSL plan with o2, they'll even give you a "quick start" option where you can use a 3g connection for free for the first three months (however, if you don't have one already, you'll have to buy a 3g dongle for about 30€) in order to bridge any possible gaps.

But yeah, I'd second going for cable wherever it's available. At least here in Mittelhessen (where it's Unity Media and not Kabel Deutschland; same poo poo, different color, I suppose), they're the cheapest lines with the highest bandwidth to boot. And yeah, no long wait to get everything set up.

The only thing that DSL, such as o2, might have over cable is that you can get plans without a minimum subscription of 24 months.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Is there any fun May Day thing to do in Munich tomorrow that's English-speaking friendly?

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

1secondpersecond posted:

Just find yourself a Bürogemeinschaft/coworking space.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Previously on GBS posted:

Just find yourself a Bürogemeinschaft/coworking space.

Right, I completely forgot about St Oberholz! :haw:

On a more serious note, there's Betahaus which offers just that, might help bridge the gap. https://www.betahaus.de

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Zwille posted:

Right, I completely forgot about St Oberholz! :haw:

On a more serious note, there's Betahaus which offers just that, might help bridge the gap. https://www.betahaus.de

Thanks for mentioning that. It looks like a really good option if I find myself in a jam for a week or so. When "coworker space" was mentioned above, I was thinking of the "small business incubator" spaces that exist in US cities, but this actually looks like something that would be really useful.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

1secondpersecond posted:

Clownpenis, it looks like Kabel Deutschland is going to be my best bet for a high bandwidth connection to support teleconferencing anyway, so I'm glad to hear that their installation times aren't as bad as those for DSL.
All Internet providers in Germany have problem areas, Kabel Deutschland is no exception. I live in Hannover and a few friends and co-workers were very happy with their Kabel access so I switched to their 60Mbit connection offer a few years ago. It was going well for 3 months, then it started getting slower and slower in the evenings. ~5 mbits on a good night, below 1 on a bad one. I got full speeds in the mornings but after 5PM and around noon on weekends it became nearly unusable. None of the people living in the other areas of the city had this, my area was simply completely oversold and their hardware couldn't handle the traffic. It took them almost a year to upgrade the hardware and it went fine for another couple months and then went to poo poo again. It was a 2 year contract and I switched to Telekom VDSL (50 mbit) as soon as it was up. I've had no problems at all with their service in the last year yet.

Of course there's probably also people having problems with VDSL.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Also don't forget Telekom will put you on a leash in regards to data, starting sometime this year. Dunno how much exactly, but it's something to consider if you use a high volume of data. Nobody knows if the other providers will be affected as well after Telekom starts - everyone except Telekom is basically one of their resellers. (except Kabel stuff etc. obviously)

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010
Oh god, I need this thread.
I'm moving to Munich in 2 months or so for a job.
I'm starting with an AirBnB thing, but are there any good websites for apartment hunting? ... German Craigslist?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Disreputable Dog posted:

German Craigslist?

http://munich.de.craigslist.de

specifically for flats: https://www.immobilienscout.de or https://www.wg-gesucht.de (the latter with a focus on shared flats)

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Zwille posted:

http://munich.de.craigslist.de

specifically for flats: https://www.immobilienscout.de or https://www.wg-gesucht.de (the latter with a focus on shared flats)

You can also try:

http://www.studenten-wg.de
http://immobilo.de
http://wg-spion.de
http://monteurzimmer.de
http://www.kalaydo.de

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Disreputable Dog posted:

Oh god, I need this thread.
I'm moving to Munich in 2 months or so for a job.
I'm starting with an AirBnB thing, but are there any good websites for apartment hunting? ... German Craigslist?

If you can afford it, Mr Lodge kicks a lot of rear end if you're not bringing your own furniture.

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

horse mans posted:

If you can afford it, Mr Lodge kicks a lot of rear end if you're not bringing your own furniture.

I have a relocation budget, so I will look into that. Not particularly attached to my existing furniture.

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

Oh man, thank you!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I have an upcoming trip to Germany and Austria, and I'm certainly going to be trying some different foods. One point of concern with this for me is that I have some rather severe food allergies, in particular with chicken and turkey. Could anyone offer up a phrase that I could write down and show to food staff to be especially certain that I'm not ordering something with either of these, even if it may include a chicken broth? I imagine most will speak English but this extra layer of caution is worth it for me. I can stick to vegetarian meals if need be but from my reading it seems those are in short supply. Pork meat should be fine and I think that's rather common, assuming any broths it is served with are not chicken based (anyone know about that?). I'll be in Munich and Vienna primarily. Thanks!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Poultry = "Geflügel", so perhaps "Bitte beachten Sie: Ich bin stark allergisch gegen Geflügel!" (=Please mind: I'm heavily allergic to poultry!) Admittedly it sounds a bit clunky even to my own ears, but it should get the point across.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Alternativ: "Ich habe eine starke Geflügel-Allergie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
My wife and I are getting ready for our yearly trip to Germany in the next few weeks with stops in the Czech Republic (Prague/Cesky Krumlov) and Austria (Wien/Innsbruck). One of our favorite things to do is to rent bikes, get a nice route around town or outside of town and find places to drink beer along the way.

We've been to Munich enough to know our way around town and have been to Augustiner Keller, Hofbräu, Chinese Tower, etc. What do Bavarian goons suggest for other biergartens in Munich that we more than likely have overlooked?

Never been to Andechs, but we'll be staying two nights down the street from the kloister. We'll obviously be imbibing there and eating massive slices of meat to chase it down. It looks like there might be a good chance to rent/borrow bikes at the place we are staying. What would you Bavarian goons suggest for bike riding outside of Andechs? Should we bike to Ammersee or Starnberger See? Any places we should see or things we should do while we're here that we're overlooking beyond the fresh air and large quantities of beer, cooked animal flesh, and rotted vegatables?

Berlin: We've never been, but will finally get a chance this year. It looks like there is a way to rent bikes in Potsdam and then bike into town. Any good places to stop along the way from Potsdam to Mitte? Is the Berlin Zoo any good?

Any football matches or tournaments this summer that we should know about ahead of time (Early/mid June).

Protip for those that haven't been to Munich and are from the US: Go to the zoo. Seriously awesome stuff. My wife and I rode bikes down the river last year, stopped on a whim and loved every bit of it. Germans really don't give a crap if you are stupid and want to put your hands into the lion or tiger's cage. It makes it seriously awesome to be that close to all the animals and is much more intimate than the crappy stuff you get in the states.