Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Any suggestions for fun things to do with Aperol? I got some for aperol spritzes but now I'm bored with those.
http://www.10thkitchen.com/2013/12/hoperol-flip/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Audrey Saunder's Intro to Aperol is really delicious. If you have genever, I'm a fan of the Shaddock (equal parts genever, aperol, lemon, st. germain).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

good jovi posted:

Aperol, tequila, grapefruit soda and lime juice. I wanna say roughly equal parts, but it's been a while.

This gets to the next level with a smokey mescal.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Nicol Bolas posted:

The simplest thing to do is just mix it with lemonade. SoCo is very, very sweet so lemonade cuts that. You could also throw it in with some unsweetened black tea and lemonade for a boozy arnold palmer thing.

If you hate your brother and want to give him a very serious hangover, here is also a helldrink we used to make called "the gummy bear," if you're into that kind of (horrible) thing:

2 parts SoCo
2 parts Midori (or other melon liqueur)
2 parts amaretto
1 part grenadine
2 parts sour mix
1 part soda water

(I cannot endorse the creation or consumption of this drink but we used to make it for people who wanted something that didn't taste like booze. Garnish with a gummy worm to complete the shame.)

Apparently there is also this recipe for a Fog Cutter which uses SoCo.

Honestly, you're not going to find too many non-trashy drinks made with SoCo, because it's not whiskey, it's a liqueur for people who want to pretend they drink whiskey. (Seriously, the ingredients include neutral grain spirits and whiskey flavoring.)

Yeah, I figured as much. I really don't even know why he has it, it's not his style at all, just texted me this afternoon asking for a punch recipe to use up 2 liters of the stuff. I kinda like the arnold palmer idea. Maybe make his own lemonade? Lapsang Souchong for the tea to make it interesting?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

angor posted:

Yeah, I figured as much. I really don't even know why he has it, it's not his style at all, just texted me this afternoon asking for a punch recipe to use up 2 liters of the stuff. I kinda like the arnold palmer idea. Maybe make his own lemonade? Lapsang Souchong for the tea to make it interesting?

That sounds awesome. Maybe sweeten the lemonade (or limeade) with some brown sugar to support the smoky flavor? Go for under-sweetening the stuff, though.

Despite all my SoCo-based derision, the SoCo Pepper is surprisingly less terrible than the original, and quite shootable (I have trouble turning down shots of terrible things just so I can say I've tried them)--I wonder if you could put some kind of peppery business in with it too?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Nicol Bolas posted:

That sounds awesome. Maybe sweeten the lemonade (or limeade) with some brown sugar to support the smoky flavor? Go for under-sweetening the stuff, though.

Despite all my SoCo-based derision, the SoCo Pepper is surprisingly less terrible than the original, and quite shootable (I have trouble turning down shots of terrible things just so I can say I've tried them)--I wonder if you could put some kind of peppery business in with it too?

I ran this by him, and he's also thinking about lining the glasses with smoked paprika, so I suppose that might add some peppery-ness? Maybe I should tell him to cut the paprika with black pepper? This is actually starting to sound not half bad. Too bad I won't be there to try it!

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Any suggestions for fun things to do with Aperol? I got some for aperol spritzes but now I'm bored with those.

Klauser posted:

Apparent Sour - 1.5oz Aperol .75oz St. Germain .75oz lime juice shake/coupe/Rosemary sprig garnish

This is probably the best received drink I make.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

that sounds pretty great. I don't have any st germain right now but I will have to get some to try it.

I just made an aperol negroni and it's pretty alright.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would like to try some things with Aperol and Campari, but $25-30 seems like too much for an aperitif.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I would like to try some things with Aperol and Campari, but $25-30 seems like too much for an aperitif.

They are both great, extremely versatile bottles I find myself reaching for all the time. If I was only going to get one I would go with the Campari first.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Klauser posted:

They are both great, extremely versatile bottles I find myself reaching for all the time. If I was only going to get one I would go with the Campari first.

I wholeheartedly agree, but if you've never had Campari before, you might be better served trying something with it at a bar (but not necessarily a Negroni) before buying. Some people find it incredibly off-putting. Aperol, on the other hand, is much friendlier.

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011
I posted a couple pages back in the regrettable situation of having purchased Campari without ever tasting it, but I gotta say the Jungle Bird really is a great intro cocktail for it - the thread did not steer me wrong! (Kenning, I found your recipe way too heavy on the pineapple juice for my tastes, but I've also been using canned and it seems to have a weird metallic note to it. Bought a fresh pineapple the other day for the express purposes of juicin' so we'll see if that makes a difference.)

I am curious about grabbing a bottle of Aperol, though, if it's a bit "easier" than Campari - can anyone describe the distinctions between them in terms of flavor profiles?

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Campari - bitter
Aperol - less bitter

I hope someone else can do it better justice than I! The herbal qualities are much stronger in Campari, less pronounced in Aperol. Aperol less syrupy to my mind too. If you like the punch of Campari (which I do) then subbing Aperol lacks a certain something, but for those who find the floral hit of Campari too strong, Aperol can be a good alternative.

One of the best drinks I had this summer was an icy PBR punched up with 2oz of Campari. Really takes the edge off a camping trip.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Klauser posted:

Apparent Sour - 1.5oz Aperol .75oz St. Germain .75oz lime juice shake/coupe/Rosemary sprig garnish

Funny that this post was a reply to me ~2 years ago and it's one on the list I didn't make. Tried it tonight and it was fantastic--a belated thanks! It tastes like a perfectly sweetened grapefruit and elevates Aperol to more than just the orange notes that I usually taste in other drinks. The floral hit of the rosemary is a great.

This is probably also the lowest alcohol content drink I've run across, incidentally. Aperol is about 11% and Campari is somewhere near 20%. Even the St. Germain is at 20% is higher proof than the Aperol.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
After having recently moved to a place with no cocktail bars, my wife and I have started building our own drink menu and expanding our repertoire. One thing I've been curious about is Orange Bitters. We have a bottle of Fee Brother's Orange Bitters, but frankly it tastes so artificial that I feel like it ruins otherwise great drinks. Kind of like drinking "orange juice" made from concentrate vs. fresh squeezed. Am I being too anal about it or are there some really good orange bitters out there? I've actually taken to splashing Cointreau in lieu of using the fee brothers stuff as I feel like it has a cleaner flavor. I'm probably jacking up all kinds of other stuff with that practice though...

Also, I was interested to read about people's adventures with Campari. We only recently discovered that liqueur and have fallen in love with it. Currently our favorite drinks are the Boulevardier and Rosita.

Boulevardier:
1.5 parts bourbon
1 part Campari
1 part sweet vermouth
Stir in ice and serve in cocktail glass with orange wedge or in a rocks glass with 1 huge piece of ice.
Sometimes we switch out the Campari for Cynar when we are feeling like a change

Rosita
1.5 parts reposado tequila
.5 part Campari
.5 part Sweet Vermouth
.5 part Dry Vermouth
1 dash Angostura bitters
Stir in shaker of ice and pour into glass of cracked ice. lemon twist garnish.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I agree about the Fee Brothers Orange bitters, I've never really noticed it in anything else I've tried from them but for some reason their orange bitters has a really obnoxious presence in anything I use it in. Angostura is my go-to although I've heard people level similar complaints against their orange bitters as well but I find it leagues ahead

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Regan's #6 is really the gold standard in orange bitters imo.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I went to the Laundry Room in Vegas last month and the bartender made me a modified version of a Bijou with Reposado Tequila and Mezcal. I recreated it for myself tonight and I'm enjoying it a lot.
I guess it can't be called a Bijou anymore so let's call it the Spanish equivalent, Joya. I added the grapefruit peel just because I like the way it works with aged Tequilas and the cardamom in the Regan's bitters.

2 oz Reposado Tequila
0.25 oz Smoky Mezcal
0.5 oz Sweet Vermouth
0.5 oz Green Chartreuse
2 dash Regan's #6 Orange Bitters
2 dash Angostura
shake/strain/grapefruit peel

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008
Fee Brother's gets a lot of good press but in my experience they are all fairly bad. They all have this odd lolly like tang and chalky aftertaste, and are all really sweet.
I've tried their aromatic, old fashioned, rhubarb, cherry, chocolate and grapefruit. None were anything special.

Angostura Orange is pretty good, our house old fashioned is 3dash orange/angostura and its great.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Thanks for the responses regarding Fee Brother's. Glad I'm not the only one thinking it tastes bad. I'll have to pick up a bottle of Regan's or Agostura next time I'm back in The States. Cheers.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Wolfgang Muthspiel posted:

Fee Brother's gets a lot of good press but in my experience they are all fairly bad. They all have this odd lolly like tang and chalky aftertaste, and are all really sweet.
I've tried their aromatic, old fashioned, rhubarb, cherry, chocolate and grapefruit. None were anything special.

Angostura Orange is pretty good, our house old fashioned is 3dash orange/angostura and its great.

I quite like their whiskey barrel aged bitters. The aromatic bitters are much too cinnamon-heavy. Fee Bros peach bitters are really good.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I finally got myself a bottle of Bols Genever and whipped up an Improved Gin Cocktail (shamelessly stolen from here):

2oz genever
1/2 tsp 2:1 simple syrup
1 tsp maraschino
2 dashes Angostura

Stir, strain, coupe, lemon twist.

This is delicious. Fragrant, complex, and a real malty punch from the genever. I need more recipes for this stuff!

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Kenning posted:

I quite like their whiskey barrel aged bitters. The aromatic bitters are much too cinnamon-heavy. Fee Bros peach bitters are really good.

I like the barrel aged too. I also really like the cranberry. That's about it though.

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011
Fee Bros' original orange bitters are utterly mediocre, but the gin barrel-aged version does nicely, since my local place seems to always be out of Regan's #6. The peach is also very nice (adds a smoothness to most anything, pairs well with bourbons, impresses girls when you put it in their vodka cranberry and it tastes magically better.) I also have their mint, Aztec chocolate, and cherry bitters; the mint gets used rarely if at all (it's a "gently caress all I have left is mediocre gin and tonic water and no limes" type of thing), the Aztec chocolate is nice but I doubt I'll use it much (if at all) once winter has passed, and the cherry is, like the peach, a nice smoothness without the strength of a cherry liquor but nothing to write home about in most cocktails.

My local place does stock a lot of other types of bitters - seeing as I've already got the requisite Angostura and Peychaud's, anyone got any thoughts on types/brands I should expand into next?

edit: also I remembered that I wanted to shamelessly advocate in a post here for Art in the Age's spirits - my wife begged me to pick up their root beer liquor sometime ago, and I was surprised by how delicious it was despite the concept of "root beer liquor" being generally horrible. This weekend I grabbed their "sage" spirit (which has a lot of other herbs in it) and am blown away by how phenomenal it is with just about any kind of gin and/or in a martini. Not sure if this is something local, but if you see their spirits at your local store and are considering it, take the jump. You will not regret it.

bald gnome error fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 16, 2014

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bald gnome error posted:

the Aztec chocolate is nice but I doubt I'll use it much (if at all) once winter has passed,

I actually have the Aztec Chocolate one as well. Any favorite recipes you would like to share? I never end up using it...

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Bruxism posted:

I actually have the Aztec Chocolate one as well. Any favorite recipes you would like to share? I never end up using it...

Klauser posted:

Left Hand - 1.5oz bourbon, .75oz Campari, .75oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes mole bitters. Stir/Coupe/Cherry.

The recipe calls for the Bittermans mole, but I imagine the Fee's would work just as well.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Howsabout the Fee Bros Walnut Bitters?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The chocolate bitters work well with aged spirits, sweet vermouths, amari, things like that. I love the Left Hand. My riff on it is as follows:
El Padrino
2 oz reposado tequila
.5 oz sweet vermouth
.5 oz campari or golden poppy liqueur
ONE dash of fees Aztec chocolate (seriously the stuff is intense and two drops might be too much - I start here and dump it if I accidentally use two)
Dash of orange bitters
Dash of coffee liqueur
Stir, over a big rock or sphere with an orange twist

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've always enjoyed Fee Bros. orange bitters, actually. Puts a bit of spice in drinks where Old Fashioned style bitters wouldn't be appropriate. My fiancee likes the chocolate bitters in pretty much anything I put it in, but I've gotten more mileage than I expected from it by putting it in rum drinks.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Help, I'm feeling uninspired. What are your favorite summer picnic punches or cocktails? I have a picnic tomorrow and I have all the base liquors, some fermented fruit syrups (ume, green peach, yuzu, fig, cherry, chinese quince), peychaud bitters, lemon, ginger, coconut cream/milk, and if it helps I am in Korea so no limes (they are $4.50 each). I have sweet vermouth, fernet, and maybe a few other surprises lurking.

Right now I'm thinking sangria, or maybe a fortified one like a gin white wine peach and ginger mix, wish i had mint or something. Shiso just doesn't work.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Awright. Really, really silly and newbie question.

I got an awesome localish gin, and some dry vermouth, and made myself a martini. Quite enjoyed it.

Are olives *really* that necessary? I hate olives with a passion. Can't stand eating them at all. I don't even like olive bread. But...I assume the olive is more for the very subtle taste that permeates the drink rather than the actual olive itself.

Also I gotta get myself a smaller martini glass, this oversized thing I got at a thrift store is ridiculous.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

silvergoose posted:

Awright. Really, really silly and newbie question.

I got an awesome localish gin, and some dry vermouth, and made myself a martini. Quite enjoyed it.

Are olives *really* that necessary? I hate olives with a passion. Can't stand eating them at all. I don't even like olive bread. But...I assume the olive is more for the very subtle taste that permeates the drink rather than the actual olive itself.

Also I gotta get myself a smaller martini glass, this oversized thing I got at a thrift store is ridiculous.

No. Use a lemon twist.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

silvergoose posted:

No, absolutely not. I'm in the same boat as you, but fortunately a lemon twist is just as legit a garnish.

Not sure how authentic this is, but i also like a dash of bitters in my martini (depending on the gin).

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
What gin and what vermouth? Doesn't matter for your olive question I'm just curious. The proper garnish is soda water btw

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Anyone else tried this?
http://www.mancinovermouth.com/home.html

The Bianco was incredible!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Maestro posted:

What gin and what vermouth? Doesn't matter for your olive question I'm just curious. The proper garnish is soda water btw

Proper, eh?

It's the Berkshire Mountain Ethereal batch #10, with the plain ol Martini & Rossi vermouth.

http://berkshiremountaindistillers.com/our-products/ethereal-gin-limited-edition/

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

No, absolutely not. I'm in the same boat as you, but fortunately a lemon twist is just as legit a garnish.

Not sure how authentic this is, but i also like a dash of bitters in my martini (depending on the gin).

I also like a lemon twist and a dash of orange or lemon bitters. Dry vermouth and citrus play well together.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
We like some pungent olives in our martinis when we have cheaper gin like Gordons. Sometimes even garlic and bleu cheese-stuffed. We've even used pickles when we were out of anything else.

When we get our nice, local gin –or any nice gin, really, we usually go for a much more subtle cucumber garnish. Try that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My fiancee insists on dirty martinis, despite my disdain, so I just bought some fancier olives so she doesn't completely ruin good gin and vermouth with cheap brine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

silvergoose posted:

It's the Berkshire Mountain Ethereal batch #10, with the plain ol Martini & Rossi vermouth.

Try some other (better) vermouths. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how they do. Do be aware that vermouth spoils and oxidizes about how wine does, though.