Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Here's an article about young people rushing in droves to buy Home Ownership Scheme apartments in Hong Kong. Pretty standard housing craze stuff, but it's just that much sadder because it's kids getting swindled.

SCMP posted:

"If I don't purchase now, I don't know when the housing prices will stop skyrocketing," said Chan Hung-cheung, 21, who is studying digital music and media at the Hong Kong Design Institute.

He said his family is helping him with the downpayment. Chan, who is living with his family of four in a 400 sq ft private unit in To Kwa Wan, said he was not worried about the quality of the flat as the government had inspected the units.

It's an HOS apartment, which means it's sold for a 30% discount on the market price.

SCMP posted:

Flats with saleable areas ranging from 506 sq ft to 650 sq ft, are offered to families earning no more than HK$40,000 a month and have total net household assets of less than HK$830,000. For individuals the limits are halved. Prices of the flats - set at a 30 per cent discount on market value, range from HK$1,194,500 to HK$2,105,900.

So he can pay upwards of 150k USD to buy a cupboard. Sure it's a 30% discount of the current market price, but bank estimates (which tend to be conservative) show that a return of the Fed to a 3% interest rate could see housing prices drop 50%. That's without considering any of the mainland's house of cards collapsing. And then this 21-year-old kid who borrowed money from his parents has a worthless cupboard that he sank his inheritance into. It's sad stuff. He should be renting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What is bankruptcy like in Hong Kong?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm not familiar with it, but supposedly there are still debtor's prisons here.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

GuestBob posted:

Tom DeQuincey madness posted:

In China, over and above what it has in common with the rest of Southern Asia, I am terrified by the modes of life, by the manners, by the barrier of utter abhorrence placed between myself and them, by counter-sympathies deeper than I can analyse. I could sooner live with lunatics, with vermin, with crocodiles or snakes. All this, and much more than I can say, the reader must enter into, before he can comprehend the unimaginable horror which these dreams of Oriental imagery and mythological tortures impressed upon me.

Veers into Lovecraft territory there, what the hell?

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

Have there been any internal studies as to the rising gender gap of newborns in the rural areas? I recall a while ago that there was a cause for alarm due to far more girls being aborted once their gender was determined, and that skewed the sexes a little.

Have they any idea as to the possible long term issues this might cause?

South Korea once had a birth rate gap that was just as wide as China's (possibly even wider) back in the 70's and 80's I think. They managed to close it considerably in two decades. I don't think it's an insurmountable problem as long as something is being done. Then again i'm skeptical that the China government really wants to do anything about it. The gender gap negatively impacts the lower income/rural population the most while the middle class and above seem to have no issues with finding a wife or a whole harem of mistresses in the case of the rich.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Modus Operandi posted:

South Korea once had a birth rate gap that was just as wide as China's (possibly even wider) back in the 70's and 80's I think. They managed to close it considerably in two decades. I don't think it's an insurmountable problem as long as something is being done. Then again i'm skeptical that the China government really wants to do anything about it. The gender gap negatively impacts the lower income/rural population the most while the middle class and above seem to have no issues with finding a wife or a whole harem of mistresses in the case of the rich.

China and South Korea had pretty similar levels of gender imbalance from the early 80s through the mid 90s (though South Korea was 'ahead' in the 70s). Then, as you noted, the situation in South Korea got much better in the 90s, but while that was happening China's imbalance rose to absurd levels that had never been reached in South Korea. It isn't quite as bad today as in, say, 2004, but it's going to be a much bigger problem for China down the road than it is/will be for South Korea.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

dilbertschalter posted:

China and South Korea had pretty similar levels of gender imbalance from the early 80s through the mid 90s (though South Korea was 'ahead' in the 70s). Then, as you noted, the situation in South Korea got much better in the 90s, but while that was happening China's imbalance rose to absurd levels that had never been reached in South Korea. It isn't quite as bad today as in, say, 2004, but it's going to be a much bigger problem for China down the road than it is/will be for South Korea.

Of love to see the data for this, I wonder how fast a gender gap can be corrected.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Of love to see the data for this, I wonder how fast a gender gap can be corrected.

Another similar graph:

Illustrates the crux of the problem nicely:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
One other factor is that the gender gap doesn't necessarily represent girls and women that aren't there. Especially in the rural areas, it might represent people who exist but are living off the books.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

effectual posted:

Veers into Lovecraft territory there, what the hell?

I think it was all the opium.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 23, 2013

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah but US consumers probably don't have enough purchasing power left to create the same export led transformation within China as South Korea. Ultimately, economics probably has a substantial part to play within the equation.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

dilbertschalter posted:

Illustrates the crux of the problem nicely:

Is this income quartiles?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VideoTapir posted:

Is this income quartiles?

I think it is the number of children.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010
It's the male to female ratio at birth for first children, second children, third children and fourth+ children. The ratio for first children is normal and the ratio for second children was only a bit skewed even during the bad days, but the ratio for third and beyond was terrifying (fourth+ children born in 1993 were ~2.3 times more likely to be male than female) and is still bad. In other words, a large percentage of the three children and more group already had two daughters and only were interested in having more children to preserve the glorious family line.

dilbertschalter fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 23, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Moving this to the D&D thread

Bloodnose posted:

In related news, the Court of Final Appeal is handing down its verdict about Filipino and Indonesian domestic workers' right to Hong Kong permanent residency today.

fake edit: after opening SCMP to check and make sure it was in fact the Court of Final Appeal, I see that the decision was handed down.

FAIL

I'm really disappointed about this. So maids are still ineligible to apply for permanent residency. This is after the maids already won the right in the High Court, which was overturned on appeal and now failed at Final Appeal. It really sucks.

I was really, really hoping the maids would win this one and I would get to enjoy the flood of entitled middle class tears. "Boo hoo, we have to treat Southeast Asians like people :qq: ". No such luck though. It really is 'they took er jerbs' at its best.

I don't understand how people don't see the obvious horror in what they're saying.

"If they got permanent residency, they would try to get better jobs! They'd want places to live! They'd want education for their children! They would get health care!"

The only way you can possibly view the fact that right now, domestics aren't entitled to those things, as okay, is if you don't see them as human beings on the same level as middle class Hong Kongers. You saw the same stuff come up when there was a debate about domestics getting the minimum wage (they are currently exempted from it), where these middle class people would say ":qq: if maids get the minimum wage then how can we afford our lifestyle? We couldn't afford to pay someone to take care of our kids :qq:."

It's a complete cognitive dissonance with the fact that if the middle class can't afford to pay a maid minimum wage, how is a maid supposed to live?

Life for the middle class in Hong Kong is lovely, we all know that. But it's pretty horrible that they do their best to push as much of that horror onto underpriveliged southeast Asians as they can.

Right now there's a moratorium on maids coming in from the Philippines, because the Manila government has banned the practice of agencies charging maids a 'placement fee' usually around two to three months of wages. The Hong Kong agencies say that's untenable because they have to pay for the maids' plane tickets and they refuse to pass that expense on to the Hong Kong families.

Guess what, though? Bangladesh is coming to the rescue. From June, Bangladeshi maids will be allowed to work in Hong Kong, giving some diversity to the domestic profession that is currently dominated (51% and 49% respectively) by Indonesians and Filipinos. We'll see how that goes.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Bloodnose posted:

I don't understand how people don't see the obvious horror in what they're saying. "If they got permanent residency, they would try to get better jobs! They'd want places to live! They'd want education for their children! They would get health care!"
. . .
Life for the middle class in Hong Kong is lovely, we all know that. But it's pretty horrible that they do their best to push as much of that horror onto underprivileged southeast Asians as they can.
Regardless of the country or language, "gently caress you, got mine!" still sounds the same.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
This guy is just amazing

IRDHK posted:

Also domestic helpers do not pay HK taxes or have to pay into a MPF accounts. Do not need to find a residence or pay for food. They get free medical and twice a year get paid home leave. Most have little work to do between 8 am and 4 m. They don't need to worry about electricity, water or gas bills. They don't need to pay transportation. They are treated like princesses while in Hong Kong. I am sure many people in cage homes or subsidized houses would love the privilage life that a domestic helper has. F they tire of their employer they just leave and turn around and sue them. There are 2 whole courts in HK just of maids suing employers.
They get to remain in HK when they sue and they always win because they have unlimited time to sue. They also live which Christian action etc during this time who arranges for them to do well paid illegal work on the side.
All this is well known and documented by the HK government.they will take advantage of HK generosity at every opportunity

IRDHK posted:

There is no racism. Racism would be saying come here and then say they don't have a right to permanent residency. Hong Kong knew that the population could not take on 150,000 extra permanent residents but it also want to give domestic helpers from poorer countries opportunities to improve while also helping people in HK.
HK made sure that every domestic helper prior to coming to Hong Kong know that they come because due to space constraints in Hong Kong they could not achieve permanent residency after 7 years.
This was all known and accepted by both sides. Not racism but realism based on available resources. People from Indonesia and Philippines could have said no that they did not want to come to HK with those conditions. However they said they wanted to come and fought hard to come because Hong Kong offered them something better than they had. HK gave them opportunity, independence and equality. It was a policy that favored domestic helpers.
Now with western influence they got an idea that they could try and grab even more by saying people were racist. That is a powerful thing to say. However in this case people were not.
I need like an irdhk.txt

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

This guy is just amazing

I need like an irdhk.txt

What are the major long term ramifications of this? Almost everything posted in this thread about China seems to point to a rapidly approaching tipping point where everything collapses and makes the 2008 bank crises look like mild inconvenience. Treating foreign workers like poo poo just seems to be par for the course, unless I'm missing a major consequence of this.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
No, sorry. I don't always post that doom is descending upon the world. This time it's just a look and laugh at how horrible this thing is. Look at how wrong these opinions are.

If you want something 'bigger', Andy Xie wrote another column and he always has some awesome things to say. This one is about a Chinese asset bubble, but it's not really doom and gloom. The title is 'China Can Afford to Let Its Bubble Economy Burst.'

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodnose posted:

No, sorry. I don't always post that doom is descending upon the world. This time it's just a look and laugh at how horrible this thing is. Look at how wrong these opinions are.

If you want something 'bigger', Andy Xie wrote another column and he always has some awesome things to say. This one is about a Chinese asset bubble, but it's not really doom and gloom. The title is 'China Can Afford to Let Its Bubble Economy Burst.'

Andie Xie's article posted:

Of course, the real reason for the bubble economy is that vested interests depend on it to get rich quick.
... Leaders should root out speculation and corruption, and focus on livelihood issues.

Uhh, I was under the distinct impression that the leaders were the vested interests.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

What are the major long term ramifications of this? Almost everything posted in this thread about China seems to point to a rapidly approaching tipping point where everything collapses and makes the 2008 bank crises look like mild inconvenience.

Well you have to remember my doom-and-gloom posts about the party/state are not necessarily about doom and gloom for China the nation. The Eastern Bloc states were clearly destined for failure and nobody shed many tears for them after the 1989 revolutions, and their nations are all doing much better without them. The PRC transitioning peacefully to a successor state is not too hard to imagine if enough of the ruling elite finally come to the conclusion that the PRC is an unsustainable system. You may scoff at the idea of the party elite heading a revolution but factions within the ruling elite are a common, perhaps the most common, originator of peaceful revolutions.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Well you have to remember my doom-and-gloom posts about the party/state are not necessarily about doom and gloom for China the nation. The Eastern Bloc states were clearly destined for failure and nobody shed many tears for them after the 1989 revolutions, and their nations are all doing much better without them. The PRC transitioning peacefully to a successor state is not too hard to imagine if enough of the ruling elite finally come to the conclusion that the PRC is an unsustainable system. You may scoff at the idea of the party elite heading a revolution but factions within the ruling elite are a common, perhaps the most common, originator of peaceful revolutions.
The party has been making great efforts to indoctrinate the elite with the notion that any moderation would result in a 1991 Soviet Union-style collapse of China precisely so this doesn't happen.

In my opinion, it will get worse repression wise before it gets better. They have nothing to lose by cracking down more until it starts to seriously bite into the economy. The middle class will be co-opted through enhanced food safety and environmental policies.

Increased repression might cut into FDI on the margins, but China needs FDI less than it used to and foreign companies will not start to leave unless it gets really bad.

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 25, 2013

Fist of Foucault
Jul 4, 2012

Discipline and punish
Yeah it's definitely worth bearing in mind that the CCP has pretty much been carefully attempting to analyse the transitions that have happened since 1989 with a view to making sure no such thing will happen in China. There's an interesting article specifically on China's continuing preoccupation with the fall of the Soviet Union, and they're well aware of these pacted transitions where schisms in the ruling elite drove democratization:

quote:

... even if this “negative learning” process doesn’t explain the whole story behind the CCP’s continued existence, it seems to play a not insignificant role. This theory is in keeping with several of the “lessons learned” volumes or studies which have come out of China in the years following the Soviet collapse. For example, in 1999, CASS [Chinese Academy of Social Sciences] researchers undertook a country-by-country assessment of the causes of the collapse of communist party-states, particularly those of Eastern Europe. They found three overarching elements that seemed to be at play in each of the countries. There were “splits within, and the democratization of, the ruling party; ordinary people’s discontent, which was taken advantage of by opposition forces; and the Western campaign of peaceful evolution.”

In many regards actually the CCP strengthened its ideological rigour in the 90s and the 2000s, driven by the experience of Tiananmen in the first place and assorted fears over things like the rural-urban divide (hence the New Socialist Countryside policy) and rising inequality in general.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here's my favorite comment so far from the domestics not getting PR article:

KMT posted:

HK people will always remember the Manila hostage crisis.
Never forget August 23, 2010!

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21930280

China buys four Lada class submarines and two dozen Su-35s from Russia.

I think that the subs are a charity buy and will probably be used for training, because the Lada class has engine and sonar problems (according to Wiki). They follow the Kilo class (which follow the Golf class I think), which are one of three classes of submarines which form the mainstay of China's conventional submarine fleet. Not sure why China isn't just focussing on building more Han or Yuan class subs though (the lead SSN and SSK boats respectivley), maybe this is evidence of problems with those vessels.

Here's something I didn't know. The PLAN builds submarines in Wuhan. Wuhan.

Jesus the Yangtze is some kind of river.

The Su-35 is just boss though.

Also, I was chatting today with a colleaugue about how Mrs. Xi seems to be more visible on foreign trips than the wife of Grandpa Wen.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GuestBob posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21930280

China buys four Lada class submarines and two dozen Su-35s from Russia.

I think that the subs are a charity buy and will probably be used for training, because the Lada class has engine and sonar problems (according to Wiki). They follow the Kilo class (which follow the Golf class I think), which are one of three classes of submarines which form the mainstay of China's conventional submarine fleet. Not sure why China isn't just focussing on building more Han or Yuan class subs though (the lead SSN and SSK boats respectivley), maybe this is evidence of problems with those vessels.

Here's something I didn't know. The PLAN builds submarines in Wuhan. Wuhan.

Jesus the Yangtze is some kind of river.

The Su-35 is just boss though.

Also, I was chatting today with a colleaugue about how Mrs. Xi seems to be more visible on foreign trips than the wife of Grandpa Wen.

This and the aircraft carrier they bought, aren't they barely functional and incapable of anything but sailing around the China Sea and needing incredible amounts of work to keep floating? China keeps trying to put on a show of force projection but their naval force is hilariously weak.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

pentyne posted:

This and the aircraft carrier they bought, aren't they barely functional and incapable of anything but sailing around the China Sea and needing incredible amounts of work to keep floating? China keeps trying to put on a show of force projection but their naval force is hilariously weak.

In term of blue water ops, yes.

Because they can't mount a combat air patrol they also can't manage a resisted landing of any kind (imagine the Falklands without Harriers). But they do have roughly the same amphibious sealift as the UK, which isn't hilarious in itself.

The PLAN is really, really defensive in design. Which is kind of reassuring I think.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

pentyne posted:

That carrier will never ever see action. For all intents and purposes it's a training carrier for now.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

That carrier will never ever see action. For all intents and purposes it's a training carrier for now.

Pretty much this. When during WWII a Admiral suggest they could keep Malta for sure if they were willing to sacrifice a couple of Battleships his higher up responded saying "It takes only a year to build a battleship, but a hundred for a Naval tradition." China needs that carrier to build up the doctrine and knowhow experiences to build up their carrier force to something approaching combat readiness. Eventually that carrier can be used probably in combat ops once they got a cadre of experienced naval aviation pilots if their intended new ones aren't out of drydock yet for whatever they need a carrier sailing somewhere what for.

I imagine once they got some credible air arm up and going and they're sure that "this time" they can go 90 days without a fire they'll use it for good will tours and to help "stabilize" any hot spots particular to Chinese interests similar to 19th century American gunboat diplomacy in South America.

Then once they got additional CV's up and running Laoning will go back to active training services unless they really need it.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eventually that carrier can be used probably in combat ops once they got a cadre of experienced naval aviation pilots if their intended new ones aren't out of drydock yet for whatever they need a carrier sailing somewhere what for.

Can I also add to this the difficulty of operating a carrier within a task group: something which NATO countries have alot of practice with but which other countries don't. One of the most difficult things about using a carrier is how to fit in the fact that it needs to sail at full clip in a straight line into the wind for landing on and off. Which is alot more difficult than you might think if you have threats to contend with.

You're right to cite the idea of "tradition" or doctrine because carrier ops are some of the most complex poo poo out there. Between the hanger, the flight deck, the air crew, the flight deck managers, the warfare officer, the bridge officer and the task group there is gently caress all room for mistakes.

Add the fact that the Chinese navy have never done live damage control in a conflict situation and you have a long way to go before they could beat the odds. To be quite honest, there are precious few navies out there who could handle a missile strike and keep fighting (US, UK, French, maybe Canadian, Aus. and NZ).

But as I say, it's not really a priority.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 26, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eventually that carrier can be used probably in combat ops once they got a cadre of experienced naval aviation pilots if their intended new ones aren't out of drydock yet for whatever they need a carrier sailing somewhere what for.

With the state of the Chinese military being pay for promotion and the incredible incompetence of the general staffs there is not going to be an 'eventually' for a Chinese naval power until the entire system is broken down and rebuilt from the ground up.

Even being able to build a functional aircraft carrier isn't enough, they need decades of training and experience operating it for them to even pretend that their carrier is a potential war machine.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 26, 2013

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Raenir Salazar posted:

Then once they got additional CV's up and running Laoning will go back to active training services unless they really need it.

With the way things are going, I honestly wouldn't be all that shocked if they said screw it to traditional aircraft carriers and went with more of a drone-carrier instead, backed up with some live personnel and some non-drones for things that might actually require live people. Putting up their own GPS constellation seems to jive with this concept. If the Anjian project pans out, poo poo could get kinda funny. The way China is investing in drone bases along the borders and up and down the coast, it would make sense.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

With the way things are going, I honestly wouldn't be all that shocked if they said screw it to traditional aircraft carriers and went with more of a drone-carrier instead, backed up with some live personnel and some non-drones for things that might actually require live people.

Putting something in the air for long periods is great for some things but when you need to actively control an airspace you need people. You don't a carrier for ASW ops (you need an LPH or, better yet, a submarine of your own), you need a carrier to say "don't shoot at my ships/guys whilst we do our thing over here".

It's a funky idea, but drones are a long way away from being able to conduct a CAP over a task group or cover a troop landing.

[edit]

Also, you don't need a loving huge carrier to launch drones - if you buy one of those and then use it for that then, well, you bought your commission.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GuestBob posted:

It's a funky idea, but drones are a long way away from being able to conduct a CAP over a task group or cover a troop landing.

[edit]

Also, you don't need a loving huge carrier to launch drones - if you buy one of those and then use it for that then, well, you bought your commission.

I don't know a whole lot about drones, but why not? Just because the drone airframes aren't there? Couldn't you fly a drone equivalent of an FA/18 from an AWACS or something?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

GuestBob posted:

Can I also add to this the difficulty of operating a carrier within a task group: something which NATO countries have alot of practice with but which other countries don't. One of the most difficult things about using a carrier is how to fit in the fact that it needs to sail at full clip in a straight line into the wind for landing on and off. Which is alot more difficult than you might think if you have threats to contend with.

You're right to cite the idea of "tradition" or doctrine because carrier ops are some of the most complex poo poo out there. Between the hanger, the flight deck, the air crew, the flight deck managers, the warfare officer, the bridge officer and the task group there is gently caress all room for mistakes.

Add the fact that the Chinese navy have never done live damage control in a conflict situation and you have a long way to go before they could beat the odds. To be quite honest, there are precious few navies out there who could handle a missile strike and keep fighting (US, UK, French, maybe Canadian, Aus. and NZ).

But as I say, it's not really a priority.

What about the russian/soviet navy or has russia's abilities decayed tremendously?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know a whole lot about drones, but why not? Just because the drone airframes aren't there? Couldn't you fly a drone equivalent of an FA/18 from an AWACS or something?

The major problem with drones from what I can tell is that they're really slow; you can't (for now) expect them to compete with something that goes anywhere near the usual speed of a jet fighter, which hampers things slightly.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

What about the russian/soviet navy or has russia's abilities decayed tremendously?

Russia's navy hasn't conducted hot damage control since the early twentieth century (or possibly the days of sail). Also, conscript navy and their poo poo keeps sinking when it goes to sea (which is infrequently).

Argle, yes, it's mostly airframe and the fact that if you built a drone large and complex enough to fly CAPs or close ship to shore ground support then you would need to make it quite large and powerful, which would make it very dangerous to fly off a ship.

Imagine trying to land a harrier on an LPH from a remote environment. You couldn't even feel the gusts of wind coming off the superstructure.

Small drones you can just toss into the air or shoot them off using a Walrus catapult style thingy. But they ain't going to be able to do what you want them to.

Besides, gently caress drones. Submarines can do the surveillance and ASW work far better than a drone and they are much, much more useful. Ain't no drone gonna sink my battleship!

[edit]

At sea, god yes.

Obviously not for aircraft though, you have AWACS and radar for that poo poo, but for everything else submarines are boss.

You don't even know that they are there.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 26, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

GuestBob posted:

Besides, gently caress drones. Submarines can do the surveillance work

What?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

computer parts posted:

The major problem with drones from what I can tell is that they're really slow; you can't (for now) expect them to compete with something that goes anywhere near the usual speed of a jet fighter, which hampers things slightly.

The Anjian project, as described at least, is a super-sonic stealth UCAV drone. Even if the project is cancelled, the research and reason for pursuing it doesn't just vanish and it's pretty much the obvious goal being sought after.

As spiffy and neat as bomb-drones and observation drones that can paint a target and provide recon are. Simple fact is that they remain vulnerable in contested airspace and they generally need the ability to loiter. Not all enemies are ready to give up fighters and fighters are stupidly useful in taking out drones unless they are backed by fighters.

Modern fighter jets still have a point, but they are expensive and the pilots are just worth too drat much to be honest. A system capable of taking on fighters ain't such a bad idea, be it alone or as a swarm. Losing a drone isn't such a huge deal, and the other odd benefit is that you can bring in mission specialists, so no single remote-pilot has to be a jack-of-all-trades... further reducing training cost and time and also enables a single pilot to control multiple drones. Alternatively, it becomes possible to use drones for manned-fighter support while establishing air superiority. And surveillance, it's an obvious task for carriers. Pop out drones with insane loiter time and perhaps some strike capability for the cap support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Haven't the Chinese developed 'carrier killer' cruise missiles? I don't think US levels of force projection are a goal for China. Ships other than carriers with land based air support could secure China's claimed chunk of the Pacific (but this conflicts with the balance of power in place since Japan surrendered)