Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So...I'm supposed to get a 56 degree day in the north east tomorrow. Can I catch anything if I throw a few senkos in the pond?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So...I'm supposed to get a 56 degree day in the north east tomorrow. Can I catch anything if I throw a few senkos in the pond?

I sure as gently caress hope so, this weekend is the first time I really had off since beginning of December. Of the few fish I've caught this year they've all been on either a swim jig or a chatter bait fish very slowly. If you have a thermometer, try to get a reading on the water temperature, that will tell you a lot more about how the fish are going to react than the air temperature.

My plan for this weekend is going to be jigs and slow-rolled chatter baits and spinner baits. I would think stickworms would work if you can stand to fish them super super slow. Conventional wisdom seems to be split on the importance of vibration/sound in the winter, with some guys claiming you need to excite the lateral line to get a hit, while the other camp says a large profile slowly presented bait will work just as well.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Anyone thinking about getting a slinky Tackle Box subscription, unless you have the funds to continue the membership, skip it.

I've "cancelled" my subscription twice now, and these fuckers keep shipping me boxes. Last time, I was going to dispute with my credit card company but got side tracked each time. Now I have to make sure I do.

The lures are pretty decent, so no complaints on the offering but cancelling does nothing with these guys.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I signed up for Mystery Tackle Box, so far no complaints but I haven't tried to cancel.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

"Cancelling is easy!"

Cancel button magically not there

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
congratulations on your lifetime supply of bespoke subscription-based gift service

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

It's going to be 65 degrees in chicago tomorrow and I got the biggest work bonus of my life so I bought a kayak on the way home from work today. That is all.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

That is clearly NOT all

What kind did you get?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

It's a Field and Stream Eagle Talon 120. I'm a fatty and this was the cheapest, best reviewed and best featured sit on top rated above 300 pounds I could find. Took it out for 45 minutes or so this morning on the local calm river and holy poo poo I'm glad I got a bigger boat than some of the 10 and 11 footers I was looking at. I'm pretty top heavy and I frequently felt like I was going to lose it at first, but I got the hang of paddling around pretty quickly. Going to take a few more practice sessions before I try fishing from it I think. Overall pretty pleased, now off to home Depot to get supplies for a pvc cart to move the stupid thing around.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Last summer I was in the same decision making process and ended up settling on a Vibe Sea Ghost 130 after 3 months of looking and deciding. Looked at the F&S and a bunch of others because I too am a fatty.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

charliebravo77 posted:

It's a Field and Stream Eagle Talon 120. I'm a fatty and this was the cheapest, best reviewed and best featured sit on top rated above 300 pounds I could find. Took it out for 45 minutes or so this morning on the local calm river and holy poo poo I'm glad I got a bigger boat than some of the 10 and 11 footers I was looking at. I'm pretty top heavy and I frequently felt like I was going to lose it at first, but I got the hang of paddling around pretty quickly. Going to take a few more practice sessions before I try fishing from it I think. Overall pretty pleased, now off to home Depot to get supplies for a pvc cart to move the stupid thing around.
Make a point to get some foam and velcro and strap it to the stuff in your kayak before going out, until you're more confident about navigating. My brother flipped our canoe when we were kids and dumped like 300 bucks' of fishing gear into the lake when he was getting his stupid rear end from the canoe to the dock ;)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also once it is warm, go out into water over your head and flip it to see 1) how stable it really is and 2)can you get back on/in it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Got some leashes, paddled another 2 miles today on a nearby lake. Really enjoying it so far, once it's warm again over a weekend I'll try adding paddling and fishing.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Disaster! They are working on the bridge in the reservoir and dropped the water level 4 feet. I don't know if I can fish in my backyard anymore!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Disaster! They are working on the bridge in the reservoir and dropped the water level 4 feet. I don't know if I can fish in my backyard anymore!

Lame as hell bro. What depth are you left with?

From the last week or so. The first two on a Ned, the last on a Pointer 78. Got a few more here and there, but these are the standouts.

Can't remember if I posted this guy yet, but I loved him so much I'm gonna post him again.

Look at that fat fucker.

charliebravo77 posted:

I signed up for Mystery Tackle Box, so far no complaints but I haven't tried to cancel.

hagie posted:

Anyone thinking about getting a slinky Tackle Box subscription, unless you have the funds to continue the membership, skip it.
The lures are pretty decent, so no complaints on the offering but cancelling does nothing with these guys.

They are both good if you are just getting into a species/style and want to try new stuff. I had them both for about a year but after while I got to the point where my backlog of lures/baits was so insane that it was dumb to keep having more stuff sent just to toss into a storage box.

Also if you want to quit Lucky Tackle Box then bug them on social media, apparently they respond super fast to that.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

The social media bothering actually worked for me last week. I DM'd them first before making a big scene on the main page.

Luckily I had the email from when it was supposed to be cancelled before and popped a screen shot to them in our conversation.

Ended up getting a full refund.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Can't remember if I posted this guy yet, but I loved him so much I'm gonna post him again.

Look at that fat fucker.

That's an excellent fish. Anyway, my house is on a little cove-type area which goes from 0-8 feet but it's very gradual, so I think there's only a foot or two of water for about as far as I can cast. I'll probably have to drive around to the dam or walk on the neighbor's "property" (It's DEC land but I don't want to ruffle any feathers) and the whole thing looks likes the world's most depressing drained swimming pool.

Depth in the main body reaches 20 something so I could fish there. Will big bass hunt in really shallow weeds?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

tesilential posted:

Also please don't "use your back" to set the hook, jfc.

If you are using braid (you should be) then the line has zero stretch. Every inch your rod tip moves translates down the line. A flick of the wrist will set the hook and yank the fish 12-24" towards you. Go watch some underwater footage of overeager bass guys setting hooks on bass. The loving bass are yanked 3-6 feet up the water column in the blink of an eye. Probably doesn't do too much damage if they are hooked properly, but it's super unnecessary.

I'm late on this and I mostly fish for bluegill and crappie but I just wanted to agree with you and type words because my brain is still rolling around the idea of someone using the technique of fully disabling a large human opponent with a rear naked choke - on a small fish floating in water.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's an excellent fish. Anyway, my house is on a little cove-type area which goes from 0-8 feet but it's very gradual, so I think there's only a foot or two of water for about as far as I can cast. I'll probably have to drive around to the dam or walk on the neighbor's "property" (It's DEC land but I don't want to ruffle any feathers) and the whole thing looks likes the world's most depressing drained swimming pool.

Depth in the main body reaches 20 something so I could fish there. Will big bass hunt in really shallow weeds?

All the fish I posted yesterday came out of 2 to 6 feet of water within 15 feet of the bank. In the summer almost all of the bass I catch from the shore are really close in and pretty shallow water.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

All the fish I posted yesterday came out of 2 to 6 feet of water within 15 feet of the bank. In the summer almost all of the bass I catch from the shore are really close in and pretty shallow water.

Nice. If the depth charts are accurate It looks like I'll be throwing into 1-4 feet of water.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I always figured that you catch bass in the shallows because that's where they're hunting, but they gotta have some deeps and undergrowth to rest and breed. Is that the case?

Also, the stream by the farm I work at has otters now. Yay for a clean and healthy ecosystem in the middle of a mixed use commercial/industrial area!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

I always figured that you catch bass in the shallows because that's where they're hunting, but they gotta have some deeps and undergrowth to rest and breed. Is that the case?

Also, the stream by the farm I work at has otters now. Yay for a clean and healthy ecosystem in the middle of a mixed use commercial/industrial area!

Bass spawn in shallow beds, for reasons I have never discovered. It seems like it makes them super vulnerable to predation but IDK, I must work out somehow. They go deep in the summer to escape the heat and again in the winter to find oxygenated water, but we are hitting the limit of my knowledge.

Didn't a guy who was a fisheries biologist use to post in this thread? Can't remember his username but he posted a bunch of great fishfacts like a year or three ago.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah it goes down to 20 feet. It actually looks like the tip of the horseshoe of my new shoreline should cast into the deep areas pretty easily.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure i have asked this before, but as you have a large body water right in your backyard, why on earth have you not gotten a kayak, Canoe, or even a picnic table with a bunch of plastic barrels tied to it, launched and fished from that?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I'm sure i have asked this before, but as you have a large body water right in your backyard, why on earth have you not gotten a kayak, Canoe, or even a picnic table with a bunch of plastic barrels tied to it, launched and fished from that?

The water pushes my kayak around like a motherfucker because it's a river/reservoir flowing into a dam and I was too cheap to buy an anchor. It's impossible without an anchor because you just spin and then get pushed into the trees covering the river in a matter of a minute or two.

Plus it doesn't have a cupholder

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bongwizzard posted:

Bass spawn in shallow beds, for reasons I have never discovered. It seems like it makes them super vulnerable to predation but IDK, I must work out somehow. They go deep in the summer to escape the heat and again in the winter to find oxygenated water, but we are hitting the limit of my knowledge.

Didn't a guy who was a fisheries biologist use to post in this thread? Can't remember his username but he posted a bunch of great fishfacts like a year or three ago.

Shallow water heats up faster allowing the eggs to hatch quicker. Fishing during spawning season is hosed up because the moms protect the nests from bluegills and carp who prolific egg eaters.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The water pushes my kayak around like a motherfucker because it's a river/reservoir flowing into a dam and I was too cheap to buy an anchor. It's impossible without an anchor because you just spin and then get pushed into the trees covering the river in a matter of a minute or two.

Plus it doesn't have a cupholder

Wait, so are you above or below the dam? I am not understanding at all.

Also I have had like a beer in my kayak only like one or two times, which seems weird to me.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Wait, so are you above or below the dam? I am not understanding at all.

Also I have had like a beer in my kayak only like one or two times, which seems weird to me.

I'm above it. I live on a cove offset from a river that is dammed up to be a reservoir (used to be drinking water, was poisoned with heavy metals, rehabbed back to health and is fine now). It's set to flow at a good rate over/through the dam. If the wind is blowing and the water is high you will beat yourself up paddling against it. It's not serene at all.

You can relax for like, 2 minutes on a very serene day before you need to beat yourself up paddling against the current.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 25, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I caught this little fellow today

Not a great shot of it because I was trying to keep clear of those spines but it was a very cool looking fish

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

gay picnic defence posted:

I caught this little fellow today

Not a great shot of it because I was trying to keep clear of those spines but it was a very cool looking fish

What species is that? I was slowly scrolling down and thought "that green sunfish has some crazy colored stripe things" and then one more scroll later I realized this is some kind of tropical ocean beast

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
It isn't tropical, it looks like a wrasse of some kind but I've never seen one like that before so i don't know what species it is

edit: turns out it's a Rainbow Cale
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteroscarus_acroptilus

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 25, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Love your wacky fish from the other side of the world.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Happy early birthday to me. Bought a Garmin Striker 4cv for the kayak today. It's 25 degrees and snowing :suicide:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm above it. I live on a cove offset from a river that is dammed up to be a reservoir (used to be drinking water, was poisoned with heavy metals, rehabbed back to health and is fine now). It's set to flow at a good rate over/through the dam. If the wind is blowing and the water is high you will beat yourself up paddling against it. It's not serene at all.

You can relax for like, 2 minutes on a very serene day before you need to beat yourself up paddling against the current.

Ah, I got you now. Sounds like you need a pallet of cinderblocks and a bunch of cheap natural fiber rope.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Ah, I got you now. Sounds like you need a pallet of cinderblocks and a bunch of cheap natural fiber rope.

Will be done. I should be fine with the new water level, I just had a little cigar and fished after work and my soul is healing.

If the water is still cold as poo poo the fish are going to be really sluggish, right? I saw some non turtle bites at the surface. It also looked like 1 or 2 were moving through the shallows with their fin sticking out of the water like tiny little sharks, which is unusual. It was dark and they were moving at turtle or muskrat speed, except it looked nothing like either.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Will be done. I should be fine with the new water level, I just had a little cigar and fished after work and my soul is healing.

If the water is still cold as poo poo the fish are going to be really sluggish, right? I saw some non turtle bites at the surface. It also looked like 1 or 2 were moving through the shallows with their fin sticking out of the water like tiny little sharks, which is unusual. It was dark and they were moving at turtle or muskrat speed, except it looked nothing like either.

Yea, the water temp does slow bass down, but I have never read about them swimming that close to the surface. Could it have been cats or carp?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, the water temp does slow bass down, but I have never read about them swimming that close to the surface. Could it have been cats or carp?

My money would be on carp because I know they've been caught in my area. Never heard of anyone landing a catfish though.

Edit:oh god, does this mean I now need to fish carp as well as bass?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Carp seems to be either weird bait fishing (for real, go on youtube and look at some English carp fishing videos) or crazy guys with fly rods. I fish a canal that is full of monster carp but I have throw my tackle box at them and they never even notice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Try archery or snagging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bongwizzard posted:

Carp seems to be either weird bait fishing (for real, go on youtube and look at some English carp fishing videos) or crazy guys with fly rods. I fish a canal that is full of monster carp but I have throw my tackle box at them and they never even notice.

Well, they could be triploid grass carp, which are vegetarian and eat pond scum. This was our pet monster that lived in our pond, she was a lovely girl and I miss her :(