Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
New thread title: Stardew Valley - You Click the Bait then Right-Click the Pole

For real though will my chickens actually starve, here, or just stop laying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Real posting for a second, but has anyone found out a good way to keep your energy up until midway through spring? At about Spring 15 the berry season starts and if you never sell those then that's a reasonable diet to power you through much of the rest of the season, but prior to that it seems like the only half-reliable food is spring onions, which can't sustain a decent amount of activity.

You probably almost need a field of parsnips just for your own use, though that could get prohibitive with how little money you have at the start of the game.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Enzer posted:

Is there any way to reset skills (or a way to edit the save file to do so)? I only now looked at future items and find it really dumb that you have to go Tiller in order to improve the worth of artisan goods, also I misread Forester and it is complete garbage.

I think it's in the save file under <professions>

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Craft the pine cones and seeds and acorns into what's probably a really gross energy bar.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Fhqwhgads posted:

So I'm SOL until I make enough money to buy out all the bundles? :smith:

You went with Joja corp? :catstare:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The vault bundle is just giving the lil dudes 41k.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Nah, the vault bundles are just a shitload of cold, hard cash.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Guys, the problem is you get bait before you get the second pole that uses it.

The Bamboo Pole cannot use bait!

Not a good design because it doesn't explain it explicitly.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The Vault Bundles for the Community Center are all Cash ones. Even weird jellies with arms need to get paid.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Enzer posted:

Is there any way to reset skills (or a way to edit the save file to do so)? I only now looked at future items and find it really dumb that you have to go Tiller in order to improve the worth of artisan goods, also I misread Forester and it is complete garbage.

Yeah, I just compiled (the start of) a basic list:

Search for professions in your save file. These numbers correspond to the professions:

0 - rancher
1 - tiller
6 - fisher
7 - trapper
12 - forester
13 - forager
18 - miner
19 - geologist

While I haven't tested it (still combat lv 4), I think the other two are

24 - fighter
25 - scout

So to go from trapping to fishing, change the 7 to a 6, save, and bam.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I just call them jujubes.

On fertilizer, once Spring rolls around I really need to start working on getting enough gold-tier crops for the bundle. If I get a bunch of Basic/Quality fertilizer, do I use it before or after I plant the seeds? Or does it not matter?

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 1, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you must use fertilizer on unplanted, tilled soil

and i really don't see the point of using anything but straight quality fertilizer on anything except corn, which should get speed-gro if possible

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How difficult are the controls? My mom is a HUGE fan of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, but she's never been into PC games because the controls are often too difficult for her.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How do you attach bait to a fishing pole

Get a fiberglass rod (or non bamboo)
Right click the worms
Right click the rod
Win.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How difficult are the controls? My mom is a HUGE fan of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, but she's never been into PC games because the controls are often too difficult for her.

You wasd and click

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

the controls are simple to pick up but the game does absolutely nothing to explain them to you so you will probably have to sit with her for a good two hours to make sure she gets it

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Real posting for a second, but has anyone found out a good way to keep your energy up until midway through spring? At about Spring 15 the berry season starts and if you never sell those then that's a reasonable diet to power you through much of the rest of the season, but prior to that it seems like the only half-reliable food is spring onions, which can't sustain a decent amount of activity.

You probably almost need a field of parsnips just for your own use, though that could get prohibitive with how little money you have at the start of the game.
Head to the southernmost part of the woods south of your farm, over the bridges on the lakes. There's an area where something like 10-20 spring onions grow daily.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Fans posted:

The Vault Bundles for the Community Center are all Cash ones. Even weird jellies with arms need to get paid.

I saw some incidental dialogue with Penny. She mentions that the bus is broken and the mayor's budget is near empty so he can't repair it.

Pam was the bus driver, of course.

So yeah, the Jubilees just stuff the mayor's bank account. :v:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Can you mix fertilizers? Like the water and capacity one?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Chantilly Say posted:

Pick up the bait and right-click the pole

This doesnt appear to do anything

edit: nevermind, need a non-bamboo rod

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Head to the southernmost part of the woods south of your farm, over the bridges on the lakes. There's an area where something like 10-20 spring onions grow daily.

It's not reliable even a little bit (i went there many days and found 2-3) and you need like 15 to get a full energy bar so I don't find this terribly sustainable.

Malek posted:

Can you mix fertilizers? Like the water and capacity one?
no they overwrite eachother

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The game is very controller friendly. Plug in a x360 controller and you're pretty much set. The keyboard is needed for some things (like typing in names), but you can pretty much control the entire game with the controller. I do sometimes use the keyboard shortcuts when playing on my controller.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Thor-Stryker posted:

Are you a nerd who plays video games? Then Abigail is the only waifu. She belongs to the outcast group (they'll hang out together at certain events) and wants to play Co-Op games with you.

SOLD

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

Pick up the bait and right-click the pole

The big thing here is that the game gives you bait long before it gives you a rod that can equip bait, so most people are probably asking this not because they are doing it wrong, but because the game won't let them.

Edit: I think I forgot to refresh the thread I'm a little late saying this.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm still crashing each night after I fish, so I guess that's a soft-lock on that revenue stream until it's patched :sigh:
Any other ideas of how to spend my days/make bank until my crops grow, since mining took up all the food I have?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Harmburger posted:

I think it's in the save file under <professions>

JerikTelorian posted:

Yeah, I just compiled (the start of) a basic list:

Search for professions in your save file. These numbers correspond to the professions:

0 - rancher
1 - tiller
6 - fisher
7 - trapper
12 - forester
13 - forager
18 - miner
19 - geologist

While I haven't tested it (still combat lv 4), I think the other two are

24 - fighter
25 - scout

So to go from trapping to fishing, change the 7 to a 6, save, and bam.

You guys are awesome. :3:

I'm actually surprised the save file was that easy to edit.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
If time didn't run while inside this game would be perfect. Don't let me down, modders!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Abigail likes Chrono Trigger. Like I'd marry anyone else.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so getting to (desert) level 25 in the desert mines gives you a 10k reward. It doesn't seem to end there though, and I got to 35 before it got too late to continue. If there really is 100 floors in this, it's gonna take a lot of luck and/or bombs to get there.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, so getting to (desert) level 25 in the desert mines gives you a 10k reward. It doesn't seem to end there though, and I got to 35 before it got too late to continue. If there really is 100 floors in this, it's gonna take a lot of luck and/or bombs to get there.

Save up 10k stone and build 100 stairs. Brute force it :getin:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So good news, apparently debris replacing farm equipment is a bug and will be fixed soon!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Coolguye posted:

you must use fertilizer on unplanted, tilled soil

and i really don't see the point of using anything but straight quality fertilizer on anything except corn, which should get speed-gro if possible

Does the fertilizer stay on the tilled soil even after you harvest the plant, assuming you replant same day? Or do I have to put down new fertilizer before adding a new crop. I thought I read it lasts a full season?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Does the fertilizer stay on the tilled soil even after you harvest the plant, assuming you replant same day? Or do I have to put down new fertilizer before adding a new crop. I thought I read it lasts a full season?

it lasts for a full season presuming topsoil doesn't overwrite things

if you leave tilled soil fallow it will eventually get overwritten by topsoil, so that's a thing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Fhqwhgads posted:

It lasts the entire season or until it becomes untilled, whichever comes first.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I'm right in thinking there is no way to move my storage chests without taking every single item out of them first right? The usual pickaxe doesn't work on them.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

LibbyM posted:

I'm right in thinking there is no way to move my storage chests without taking every single item out of them first right? The usual pickaxe doesn't work on them.

Yes, you have to empty them and then hit with a pickax to move them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gah, I got Demitrius for my Secret Santa. The one guy in town who only loves obscure dishes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I leveled up and could craft a warp totem: mountains and got really excited because I didn't know where that meant and thought "new area!"

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
My God, cranberries are amazing.

I put them down with my iridium sprinkler and I'm rich now.

Also, I accidentally clicked a scarecrow and it told me how many crows it chased off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I've managed to avoid most spoilers here I do think the OP needs to be updated. A lot of people have some really great information throughout this thread. Page 71 someone had a good "starting things to do" without spoiling anything

I just want to say what everyone else has. Really really fun game. I thought the energy would bug me to some degree but it really doesn't. I like figuring out what to do. I'm only one day 13 of Spring, I restarted a few times because I ended up not liking my pet name or what not, and just a drat great game
I have 5 plots of 3x3 that I tend to each day, farming isn't high enough to get the sprinklers to cut down on my manual farming time yet, then I either go to the mine looking for copper or fish. Fishing is really profitable and quite enjoyable. That combined with foraging randomly has gotten me the 24 inventory upgrade quickly and I'm plugging away at various other things that interest me.
Combat is simple yet fun. I'm tempted to start making my crab pots and really live off the land.
Fishing + farming is more fun then it should be.

the only thing I haven't really done? Mess with the villagers. I think the rich bitch is 1 heart with me? I try to talk to everyone at least once but I'm apparently still missing a few people from the intro quest. Oh well I'll get to them in due time :3 These fish won't catch themselves.