Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's 1983 and I'm excited for the new and shiny...
This poll is closed.
The Intellivision 2 34 22.67%
The COLECO ADAM 19 12.67%
The Vectrex 35 23.33%
The Atari 5200 62 41.33%
Total: 150 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

IS KH3 gonna have Star Wars in it? I might buy it if so
Sora is going to team up with Deadpool and Rey to fight LeChuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm saying the fight against the water guy was completely bullshit and that's a bonafide fact!

I didn't like it because it took all the fun stuff that was in the first game and replaced it with more anime nonsense, and like thirty seconds of Christopher Lee.

Christopher Lee and Leonard Nimoy were both big important figures in the KH games and now they're both dead. But so long as they still have Haley Joel Osment and his tiny, tiny baby face voicing Sora it will be good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
KH3 will have star wars in it, you can take that from me, your friend, Baal

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Still absolutely loving Rise of the Tomb Raider!
The Tomb Raiding part is really, really good!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

VideoGames posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTZbUXgEzT0&t=10s

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I had the level skip code memorised for a while.

It's something like L2, R2, triangle, X, L1, L1, circle, R2, R2 in the inventory screen. And once you came out of the inventory you'd hear lara go "Ahh," like she'd had a health kit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

VideoGames posted:

You just reminded me that the PC version's out and that I need to buy it.

Immediately impressed by the 18GB filesize. That's a drat fine filesize for a big budget game. drat fine.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

VideoGames posted:

I had the level skip code memorised for a while.

It's something like L2, R2, triangle, X, L1, L1, circle, R2, R2 in the inventory screen. And once you came out of the inventory you'd hear lara go "Ahh," like she'd had a health kit.

I like the farting butler in 3 you could lock in the freezer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

You just reminded me that the PC version's out and that I need to buy it.

Immediately impressed by the 18GB filesize. That's a drat fine filesize for a big budget game. drat fine.

The PC version is really beautiful! These are from my rig:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

that's some cutting edge snow rendering righth there

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Years ago some European dude put out a massive mod pack for the original Tomb Raider where Laura had a jetpack and the plot was a bunch of quantum physics bullshit and he made a bunch of FMVs of him talking to a CGI Laura Croft. I wish I could find it because it was like five flavors of :wtc:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

that's some cutting edge snow rendering righth there

Wait til u see the snow physics for walking through waist deep drifts. They went all out on the tools for this series and cant sell enough of them at full price. Lara has killed two ceos in 2 games

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

Years ago some European dude put out a massive mod pack for the original Tomb Raider where Laura had a jetpack and the plot was a bunch of quantum physics bullshit and he made a bunch of FMVs of him talking to a CGI Laura Croft. I wish I could find it because it was like five flavors of :wtc:

I would play the absolute heck out of this!!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lady Naga posted:

I like the farting butler in 3 you could lock in the freezer.

Was he only in 3? My childhood memory tells me he was an important fixture of the whole series.

He actually scared me as a kid. When I was loving around in her mansion (I definitely spent WAY more time loving around in that mansion than playing the games) I would run to another room when I heard the endless rattling of his tea tray. It felt like he was stalking me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

kh1 plays like rear end

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Steve2911 posted:

Was he only in 3? My childhood memory tells me he was an important fixture of the whole series.

He actually scared me as a kid. When I was loving around in her mansion (I definitely spent WAY more time loving around in that mansion than playing the games) I would run to another room when I heard the endless rattling of his tea tray. It felt like he was stalking me.

Maybe. 3 is the only one I remember playing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm completely brainfarting and Google is showing me everything except what I'm looking for: what's the name of that web series that did a Mythbusters-esque take on popular video game urban legends?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

kh1 plays like rear end

Plays better than 2, for the reasons I described.

The gameplay part of 2 felt like an afterthought.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Plays better than 2, for the reasons I described.

The gameplay part of 2 felt like an afterthought.
And yet... it still owned you severely.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Demyx isn't even hard nigga, lol

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

MisterBibs posted:

I'm completely brainfarting and Google is showing me everything except what I'm looking for: what's the name of that web series that did a Mythbusters-esque take on popular video game urban legends?

Pop Fiction.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

And yet... it still owned you severely.

I did beat it at least. It never got worse than that dude with the spears.

I liked the Tron section and when Auron from Final Fantasy Ten showed up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I haven't played a Tomb Raider since a brief foray into the very first one, what kind of game is this Rise of the Tomb Raider/would I like it/do I need to have played the first remake or whatever?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

I haven't played a Tomb Raider since a brief foray into the very first one, what kind of game is this Rise of the Tomb Raider/would I like it/do I need to have played the first remake or whatever?

imagine uncharted but with decent stealth, tighter shooting, weapon upgrade crafting, small open hub environments to explore, side tombs with upgrades in them, etc. instead of just being a critical path action movie. the first one is not required because the only character from it peaces out 10 minutes into the new game i've heard.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Wait til u see the snow physics for walking through waist deep drifts. They went all out on the tools for this series and cant sell enough of them at full price. Lara has killed two ceos in 2 games

This makes Lara the best protagonist in gaming.

I'm playing through the 2013 game and it's rad with some flaws.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nasgate posted:

I'm playing through the 2013 game and it's rad with some flaws.

have you climbed the radio tower? the visuals are amazing.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

have you climbed the radio tower? the visuals are amazing.

God yes it was amazing and so loving tense. The visuals are great, the movement is great, even the combat is pretty solid.

My only real complaints are 1) there's no avoidance stealth after one small section of it. You go straight from oh poo poo hide from bad dudes, to killing a guy who will murder you and crying about it, to assassinating 40 men.
Basically there's evidence there was supposed to be a theme of Lara hardening in the adversity, but theres no gameplay or even cinematics to flesh it out.

2) for a game with great maneuverability, why are there so many arcade style shooting sections? They aren't bad, in fact i like them, it's just an odd choice.

Also, i'm loving how much faster than Drake she is at climbing and jumping.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ka1heULHU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I suggest play 2013 Tomb Raider. Then Rise.

Then, if you want to see the very first one turned into an amazing game play Anniversary.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nasgate posted:

God yes it was amazing and so loving tense. The visuals are great, the movement is great, even the combat is pretty solid.

My only real complaints are 1) there's no avoidance stealth after one small section of it. You go straight from oh poo poo hide from bad dudes, to killing a guy who will murder you and crying about it, to assassinating 40 men.
Basically there's evidence there was supposed to be a theme of Lara hardening in the adversity, but theres no gameplay or even cinematics to flesh it out.

2) for a game with great maneuverability, why are there so many arcade style shooting sections? They aren't bad, in fact i like them, it's just an odd choice.

Also, i'm loving how much faster than Drake she is at climbing and jumping.

yeah they pretty much looked at uncharted and decided genocide was the essential feature of an indiana jones type game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VideoGames posted:

Tomb Raider is my favourite game of 2016 so far. Looking forward to more games coming along to take the prize!

that came out in 2015 you dummy

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

The Bone don't count, corn.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sorry, I got it on PC.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

imagine uncharted but with decent stealth, tighter shooting, weapon upgrade crafting, small open hub environments to explore, side tombs with upgrades in them, etc. instead of just being a critical path action movie. the first one is not required because the only character from it peaces out 10 minutes into the new game i've heard.

Hm, thanks

I've never actually beaten an Uncharted, but it's been so long since I played one (2?) I don't know whether to attribute that to my general console antipathy or if I just don't like that style game anymore or what

Maybe I'll pick up the first one on the cheap and see if I like playing it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh wait I own the first one, assuming it's the one released in 2013 called Tomb Raider and that's not some other spinoff

Thanks Steam :downs:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't like Kingdom Hearts despite thinking an rpg where cloud and donald duck hang out is a great idea.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

The Bone don't count, corn.

i played it on my 360 like a normal person

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MisterBibs posted:

Game Theory?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

i played it on my 360 like a normal person

I sold my 360 a few years ago when I realised I was paying Microsoft for a subscription to get a ton of adverts on my games console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I sold my 360 a few years ago when I realised I was paying Microsoft for a subscription to get a ton of adverts on my games console.

ah yes the subscription you need to play a singleplayer game on your console,

• Locked thread