Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

A few weeks ago my boyfriend of 2 years spoke to my mom and asked if he could marry me.

I'm not sure if I want to marry him.

He works 3 minimum wage jobs

we cannot seem to save up money.

When I see him, he stops the games and we hang out and either go to dinner, or a movie, or whatever.

one of my dreams is to raise a family.

Maybe take stock of your current financial situation and stop wasting money on going out to dinner, or a movie, or whatever. Learn to cook, and have a meal ready for him when he comes home. Start acting like a family unit so you can attain your dreams. Your boyfriend sounds like a real good guy to work 3 jobs, now start acting smart with your money and plan for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She said she has a hectic schedule. Did I miss the part where she said she doesn't work or are we just assuming she doesn't?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

She said she has a hectic schedule. Did I miss the part where she said she doesn't work or are we just assuming she doesn't?

I missed the part about her work schedule on my first reading and I think other people just kinda ran with that

Guys she has a job

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Cocaine is expensive guys

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
So she has a job. While her boyfriend has 3 and sometimes works 20 hours a day.

Yet somehow everything is his fault.

Sure. :jerkbag:

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I think having an expensive wedding will solve a lot of their problems.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
why would having 4 lovely jobs make you rich? theres only so much time in a day/week to earn minimum wage in and also sleep, eat and play vidya

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

buckets of buckets posted:

why would having 4 lovely jobs make you rich? theres only so much time in a day/week to earn minimum wage in and also sleep, eat and play vidya

It wouldn't make you rich, but she said they couldn't save up any money at all which seems unlikely if they have no kids and aren't paying rent unless they are spending all their money on something like drugs, gambling, or candles

A midrange dinner date every week and a $60 video game every three or four weeks shouldn't cancel out at least four jobs regardless of shittiness level

so her question of "should I dump my boyfriend" comes down to "which of you is spending all of this goddamn money and if it's him can you get him to stop"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

A midrange dinner date every week and a $60 video game every three or four weeks shouldn't cancel out at least four jobs regardless of shittiness level

I doubt it's once a week. Many, many people eat out almost every single day for dinner (and fast food for other meals). I'd be interested in seeing where their expenses lie.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Already beaten with the with comment, financial planning maybe

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Sometimes when I see people with bumber stickers that are egregiously stupid I break all the valve stems on their tires. I'm not sure if that's what its called but basically their tires go flat. It's fairly passive-aggressive and petty but, well, I hate those dumb loving stickers of calvin pissing on various things.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Jim Barris posted:

Sometimes when I see people with bumber stickers that are egregiously stupid I break all the valve stems on their tires. I'm not sure if that's what its called but basically their tires go flat. It's fairly passive-aggressive and petty but, well, I hate those dumb loving stickers of calvin pissing on various things.

I too think it is cool to damage people's cars for having bumper stickers I don't like. Get hosed you piece of poo poo.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

bradzilla posted:

I too think it is cool to damage people's cars for having bumper stickers I don't like. Get hosed you piece of poo poo.
Criminal mischief is cool, actually.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

bradzilla posted:

It's about shaking people awake and out of their dilussional mindset.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bradzilla posted:

I destroy cars with my fists and punishing Sonic Booms much like Guile from Street Fighter if they have those stick figure family stickers

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

loquacius posted:

It wouldn't make you rich, but she said they couldn't save up any money at all which seems unlikely if they have no kids and aren't paying rent...

She never said they don't pay rent.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Jim Barris posted:

"gently caress you, kid who borrowed his lovely dad's truck!"

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
You should target vehicles that have firearms related bumper stickers. Particularly dumb ones that say poo poo like "Insured by Smith & Wesson" or "Protected by 9mm". They're practically begging you to break into their vehicle and steal their gun.

I think guns are cool, but if you advertise that you've got one inside your car you're a loving retard.

My favorite is "Molon Labe." Like...you're literally daring someone to come and take your property. Genius. It works in some contexts...but not a bumper sticker.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Broke anon's boyfriend has been keeping a secret bank account for the past two years in order to give her a fabulous wedding. Yet it will still not be enough.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Stitecin posted:

She never said they don't pay rent.

What kind of family makes their kid pay rent when he and his gf are working 4+ jobs to barely break even?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah if your relatives are charging you so much rent to live in their lovely mildewy flooded basement that you are working 3 jobs to pay them off you need to walk out that loving door and get a loving studio apartment or something because jesus christ

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe she needs to let us know what kind of part time jobs he's working. If its like gas stations then stealing is his way to financial security. Learn the old "no sale" change trick and the only thing he'll have to worry about is management figuring out inventory shortages while he's working.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What kind of family makes their kid pay rent when he and his gf are working 4+ jobs to barely break even?

My parents, for one. My brother and SIL had to pay rent for a room in my parent's house when they were down on their luck.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Any parent should start charging rent as soon as a kid either turns 18 or is out of college.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lots of possibilities:

-Student loans
-Medical problems
-Wage garnishment due to tax/child support issues

She really needs to sit down with him and hammer out some long term plans; this is what my wife and I did when we were dating/engaged. One of the reasons our marriage worked out well was because we each knew what mutual expectations we had going into it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Any parent should start charging rent as soon as a kid either turns 18 or is out of college.

This is a different statement from "Any parent should start charging rent for a kid to live in their lovely mildewy flooded basement as soon as they turn 18 or are out of college, and that rent should be so high they have to work multiple jobs to pay it"

Like, a symbolic payment to show that they're an adult now and have to earn their own way, sure, but if you're gonna charge enough that they have trouble paying you and the room also sucks, you're just another slumlord

In summary: either they're not paying rent, or the rent is low enough that it doesn't explain their money issues, or they need to get out of that basement asap

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Solice Kirsk posted:

Almost without exception I've observed that adults that live with family members rent free tend to take it for granted one way or another. One compromise I've heard is to charge them rent but set it aside(without their knowledge) , and after say 2 years if they're able to act responsibly and follow household rules you can return it as a 'gift' since they're likely to use it responsibly at that point. But if they're flakes, the 'rent' gives you a convenient excuse to kick them out and you can spend the money on a nice vacation or new water heater or something.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Jim Barris posted:

I mean I have an appointment at a tire shop today to fix my broken tire valve. Was this you????

I don't even have any stickers on my car.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Almost without exception I've observed that adults that live with family members rent free tend to take it for granted one way or another. One compromise I've heard is to charge them rent but set it aside(without their knowledge) , and after say 2 years if they're able to act responsibly and follow household rules you can return it as a 'gift' since they're likely to use it responsibly at that point. But if they're flakes, the 'rent' gives you a convenient excuse to kick them out and you can spend the money on a nice vacation or new water heater or something.

I would totally just end up raiding my kid's secret rent stash. They're not gonna know.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Solice Kirsk posted:

this is a terrible idea because rent and house prices in most places are far out of reach of an 18 year old

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The kind of family that raises a child who isn't qualified to land a full time job earn more than minimum wage.

When we were house shopping we saw a bunch that had extra bedrooms walled off in garages and living rooms filled with rent paying extended families and still in preforeclosure or up for short sale. My point is that moldy-basement-family member rent could be the only thing keeping the whole tribe housed.

Poors are bad with their money in most cases.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I live in one of the cheapest places in the country, earn more than the national median and had to stick an £18k deposit down to buy a flat on monday. I'm single but young people are hosed generally

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jose posted:

this is a terrible idea because rent and house prices in most places are far out of reach of an 18 year old

Not one working full time. And if it is:

Panfilo posted:

This is still an option.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Or you know, wages haven't kept up with housing inflation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not one working full time. And if it is:

This is still an option.

you're completely out of touch congrats

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Don't charge your kids rent, raise them to be good people who won't take advantage of you.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jose posted:

you're completely out of touch congrats

I work in banking so see pretty much everyone in all sorts of situations. There's people living in Chicago with roommates working two part time jobs. You don't know what you're talking about.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I work in banking so see pretty much everyone in all sorts of situations. There's people living in Chicago with roommates working two part time jobs. You don't know what you're talking about.

lol you're a dick. these people are never saving any money because it goes on rent and they'll never be able to own somewhere due to no savings and poor wages compared to house prices but well done on being a banker :thumbsup:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jose posted:

lol you're a dick. these people are never saving any money because it goes on rent and they'll never be able to own somewhere due to no savings and poor wages compared to house prices but well done on being a banker :thumbsup:

Don't worry, I'm sure that a predatory and incredibly overpriced housing market is great for 18 year -olds in the worst paid generation in decades to enter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jose posted:

There's always people that can't save. Honestly, most people fall into that category. Nothings gonna stop that. There's plenty of people making <$25k that have several thousands saved away because they live within their means.