Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sorry but I think we need a blood vs water 2 with Cirie and her son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
Surprised Tai didn't hustle and try to sell Sarah as a huge threat in the F4, if he did they would have had some footage to give the impression it would actually go either way. I'm guessing Brad was so against him to start with so he didn't bother.

I like the Jury question system better, this new one will have some real ugly moments with bitter jury members or opinionated members preaching for their favourite at every opportunity.

Also it's been a 10 person jury 3/4 of the last seasons, might have played a part in revealing the tiebreaker as it seems likely to continue into future seasons. A split does seem more likely with 10 than a 9 ever going 4-4-1.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like a combination of real life issues and the stuff at the F6 tribal council just sucked the wind out of me for the season. I wasn't sure when it happened but Cirie was the only person I was rooting for to win at the end, even though it was a longshot. She had played so perfectly and to just get ousted in a worse way than Malcolm is heartbreaking.

I'm not a fan of Sarah. Like props, good gameplay. But I'm not a fan of her game and she's always come off as too abrasive and cutthroat to me. Brad I was okay with early on, but his attitude in the last few TCs soured me. Troyzan was dead space. Tai's too nice for this game. Aubry just wasn't relevant.

As for where I sit on this season... I don't know. Probst hype kinda kills a few of the big moments, and all the players I was rooting for got taken out by twists or advantages. Still some good gameplay at least, and better than Caramoan.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I really thought Brad had it in the bag right up until he said he wanted to vote out Tai for betraying him instead of the obviously bigger threat that was Sarah. Then I knew it was hers.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I really don't even see what Sarah did that could even slightly be taken as offensive. She lied to people or whatever, but she never once did an actually malicious thing that I can recall.

In terms of all-returnee seasons, I don't know that you can play a better game than what Sarah did.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sorry but I think we need a blood vs water 2 with Cirie and her son.

I love the concept that San Juan del Sur was such a nothing season that people forget it exists.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Also I'm glad that the What Would Monica Do strategy paid off perfectly, netting Brad a loss at FTC

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

I really don't even see what Sarah did that could even slightly be taken as offensive. She lied to people or whatever, but she never once did an actually malicious thing that I can recall.

In terms of all-returnee seasons, I don't know that you can play a better game than what Sarah did.

I think Sarah did the same thing Dawn got punished for in FvF2. Sarah built genuine friendships with the people she voted out and probably used the genuine, personal knowledge she gained from those friendships to help stop suspicion from her targets before she turned on them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

garthoneeye posted:

I think Sarah did the same thing Dawn got punished for in FvF2. Sarah built genuine friendships with the people she voted out and probably used the genuine, personal knowledge she gained from those friendships to help stop suspicion from her targets before she turned on them.

To be fair, everyone does that to some degree. Andrea boiled over when Zeke betrayed her. Cirie tried to wheel Tai into safety so that she could blindside him.

Sarah does a bit more pandering though, I think, especially with how she doe-eyed Sierra into giving her the advantage.

Also I can't believe Sierra and Troyzan were basically responsible for denying us a potential Cirie win. I mean Cirie was basically gone after F6 even if she'd survived, since Tai or Aubry would be out and then Cirie would be down in numbers. But I think I'd have still felt slightly bad if it was say Troyzan who got ousted because of it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Take it with a grain of salt, but the wiki is listing Sierra as the third Brad vote.

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

Poque posted:

Take it with a grain of salt, but the wiki is listing Sierra as the third Brad vote.

She was - she confirmed it on her Instagram

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Monica Culpepper: makes it 14 days first go-around, losing finalist in the second go-around
Brad Culpepper: makes it 14 days first go-around, losing finalist in the second go-around

:monocle:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah none of those votes are surprising. The people I expected to vote for Brad voted for Brad. Honestly, it was Brad's game to lose. If he'd brought Tai, or not be so mean the last four days, he might have had a better shot. But being out there for so long wears on your emotions. I think Hali and Ozzy were the only ones post-merge that didn't have some kind of emotional meltdown at some point, and they were the first two jurors. Well, Aubry and Troyzan, but those two got so little screentime.

It's weird, I wasn't that hot on Aubry the first time she played, but I'd be okay if they had to bring her back a third time, just because she got such a poor edit this time round. I'd be fine with Michaela too as long as she learns to use the strategic side we know she has more often over her temper. Ozzy and Andrea and Cirie and Sandra have played enough. Most of the others I don't really care about bringing back again. Hali would be amusing but there's no case for bringing her back yet again. Malcolm would be cool, but I can see people getting fatigue from returning players already even though over half of this cast are first-time returnees.

I think this season will probably sit in the upper half for me, but I don't think it'll crack the top ten. Too many twists.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sportsgenius86 posted:

Uhh she told someone like Sierra that she was her It girl and that she loved her and then voted her out to get her legacy advantage, and that was the most extreme example but she certainly did similar with lots of other players. That's like textbook "how to make a jury bitter and hateful" stuff, and rightfully so. I'm glad she won but there is a point where someone's gameplay should cost them votes imo. There's certain ways that if you treat a person that way you shouldn't feel entitled to their vote. Like if Sarah was sitting up there with Cirie, even though Sarah was more of the puppet master I would fully back a Cirie win in this case. However, she was next to Brad and Troyzan, soo...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah none of those votes are surprising. The people I expected to vote for Brad voted for Brad. Honestly, it was Brad's game to lose. If he'd brought Tai, or not be so mean the last four days, he might have had a better shot. But being out there for so long wears on your emotions. I think Hali and Ozzy were the only ones post-merge that didn't have some kind of emotional meltdown at some point, and they were the first two jurors. Well, Aubry and Troyzan, but those two got so little screentime.

It's weird, I wasn't that hot on Aubry the first time she played, but I'd be okay if they had to bring her back a third time, just because she got such a poor edit this time round. I'd be fine with Michaela too as long as she learns to use the strategic side we know she has more often over her temper. Ozzy and Andrea and Cirie and Sandra have played enough. Most of the others I don't really care about bringing back again. Hali would be amusing but there's no case for bringing her back yet again. Malcolm would be cool, but I can see people getting fatigue from returning players already even though over half of this cast are first-time returnees.

I think this season will probably sit in the upper half for me, but I don't think it'll crack the top ten. Too many twists.

She didn't just get a poor edit, she also played a horribly unlucky game, from the start just continually being on the wrong side of the numbers.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So I just watched the finale and ehh? Hoping the producers learn now to never cast that lopsided ever again but I doubt it. Just imagine if Troy hadn't started that Tony/Sandra argument back in episode 1 and how differently this season could have been.

I want to know who Aubry pissed off to get that bad of an edit.

Also the next seasons theme is trash, even more so than Gen Gex or whatever the misspell was. At least in that season dividing by age has a clear narrative. These divisions make no sense at all but oh well.

Edit: Ok Sarah definitely deserved to win for this alone and I don't know how it didn't air. This is her response to why she voted Tai at F4: “I had destroyed my word so bad with everybody that I had to move on to material items. I gave Brad and Troyzan a bracelet I was wearing and I was like, ‘Here, if I turn on you guys, throw this thing in the fire. This means the world to me. I wore it on my first season, blah, blah, blah. But if we’re making this pact it’s only fair that you give me something.’ So I actually had Brad Culpepper’s wedding ring. And I told him, ‘If you turn on me, I’m going to throw it in the ocean.’ And we all see how much he loves Monica. I had to do that to solidify, so I actually felt very confident they weren’t going to turn on me because I had Brad Culpepper’s wedding ring. And I had one of Troyzan’s bracelets. So I had both of their items. So if either one of them screws me over everyone is getting screwed too ‘cause I’m keeping both of their things. And then they have one item of mine together. But at the day 39 breakfast we all gave each other the items back.”

Dugong fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 25, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Tai making it to the final three would've been very interesting to see, just because the edit for him this season consistently was everyone saying "Tai is a really good person BUT the way he plays this game pisses me off" and I would've liked to see the jury kind of struggle with that. Also I feel like Tai had the best chance to talk his way out of or into a million bucks.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Rick posted:

Tai making it to the final three would've been very interesting to see, just because the edit for him this season consistently was everyone saying "Tai is a really good person BUT the way he plays this game pisses me off" and I would've liked to see the jury kind of struggle with that. Also I feel like Tai had the best chance to talk his way out of or into a million bucks.

Did you miss the FTC of his original season?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rick posted:

Tai making it to the final three would've been very interesting to see, just because the edit for him this season consistently was everyone saying "Tai is a really good person BUT the way he plays this game pisses me off" and I would've liked to see the jury kind of struggle with that.

5 people on the jury said they would've voted for Tai if he were in the final 3 instead of Sarah, so it would've been a tie with Brad

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Here's the final results of the draft I was in. I didn't do well.

less laughter posted:

5 people on the jury said they would've voted for Tai if he were in the final 3 instead of Sarah, so it would've been a tie with Brad

Non-canon. You can't ask someone that almost a year after the game happened and expect an honest answer, whether they think they're being honest or not.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 25, 2017

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

remember when tai used an idol on someone he pushed to vote out like 12 hours later

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty posted:

Here's the final results of the draft I was in. I didn't do well.

Non-canon. You can't ask someone that almost a year after the game happened and expect an honest answer, whether they think they're being honest or not.

:flag:

WHOA WEHOW WHOA WAIT A SECOND HERE

Zesty posted:

I wouldn't post it every episode, but here's a progress report on a milestone.

We thought it'd be fun to leave the last round of picks undrafted, but went ahead and picked who we wanted in the order anyway as a bonus. We're thinking about just merging them into our teams because it would be lame if the unpicked team won.

The unpicked team would have won!!!!!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Tai really is a baffling player.

And I think I kinda like that. Would be awful to play against though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

The unpicked team would have won!!!!!

We didn't have any money on it. What fun is it to have an unpicked team. That got fixed.

pokeyman posted:

Tai really is a baffling player.

And I think I kinda like that. Would be awful to play against though.

Awful to play with him too.

Don't play on a season with Tai.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty posted:

We didn't have any money on it. What fun is it to have an unpicked team. That got fixed.

If you can't see the comedy in 4 people that [I'd assume??] know a lot about this game getting together and completely botching a season's prediction, I don't know what to tell you.

Everybody being bad is the most fun outcome.

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

remember when tai used an idol on someone he pushed to vote out like 12 hours later

In Tai's defense, if Sarah didn't have the legacy advantage he'd have idol'd her out of the game and have had a potential 3 person alliance out of 5 players. Sarah staying and Cirie going put Tai in the minority with Aubry. At that point Tai should be willing to throw Aubry under the bus.

Edit: Like if he hadn't used his idol he would have been safe at 5 anyways but by using the idol at 6 Tai might have been trying to secure a path to the finals so that he didn't get booted at 4.

Deceptive fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 25, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pinterest Mom posted:

I just realized he also voted for Sierra after playing an idol on her [much] earlier in the game too

Like the circumstances are MUCH better for him there, but it's hilarious that he voted out two people that he played idols for earlier

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fwiw Tai makes it sound like it wasn't his call to vote off Aubry. Like, he saved her with the idol and if Cirie hadn't gone home, then he, Cirie, and Aubry would've had the numbers. Since instead Cirie went home, they didn't have the numbers, and Sarah was locked in with Brad and Troyzan and had a majority, so he wanted to vote with the numbers. That actually makes absolutely perfect sense, but it doesn't seem to square exactly with what we saw on TV. (Although we did see him eventually telling Sarah he wanted to vote out Troyzan after Brad yelled at him again.)

Here's the transcript though which is a little more confusing:

ROB: Tai, why did you want to save Aubry with an idol but then vote against her at the F5? Why was it so important to use both the idols at F6? Is it just because you love Aubry so much??

TAI: I love Aubry, yes! That moment okay, we said yes, this is the time we're going to get together, I feel like we can flip the game and work with Aubry and Sarah, because I was too working with Sarah, Brad was really mad at me already, at that moment I don't think I can change his mind, at that moment I wanted to take control of the game, and Cirie and Aubry and I were talking about it and I said maybe I can play two idols and see what happens, you know? And um yeah, after Cirie went home, and Sarah and I, I get back with Sarah and I, we talk back and forth, and at that moment I think maybe she's locked in with Troy and Brad, I can't do anything about it, they say they want Aubry. I say well Troyzan, I tell Sarah she and I can beat Troyzan, Sarah and I agree a F2 together from day one, we check in with each other all the time, we have a tight alliance that somehow got broken, that alliance got broken, and I couldn't convince her to vote for Troyzan and I wanted to be on the right side of the vote so I vote Aubry off.

The confusing thing about that is that he's emphasizing his relationship with Sarah when if advantage-geddon hadn't happened, he would have just voted Sarah out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lone Goat posted:

Did you miss the FTC of his original season?

No but I completely forgot he made it to the final 3 so I guess it's like missing it.

less laughter posted:

I honestly don't put much stock into the reunion straw polls, I think Tai could absolutely get up there and say something that lost him votes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Poque posted:

I just realized he also voted for Sierra after playing an idol on her [much] earlier in the game too

Like the circumstances are MUCH better for him there, but it's hilarious that he voted out two people that he played idols for earlier

I don't have any beef with that. You don't necessarily play idols on someone early because you're looking to take them to the finals. Just because it benefits you to save someone early doesn't mean you want them later.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rick posted:

I honestly don't put much stock into the reunion straw polls, I think Tai could absolutely get up there and say something that lost him votes.

Especially with this format? Tai would absolutely crumble in cross-examination. We've seen it happen at camp - he'd just say something to a juror, another juror would jump in pointing out a contradiction and he would go catatonic.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Tai is so hard to watch because you're constantly going "NO TAI NOOOOOOOOO" :ughh: Like if you for some dumbfuck reason want to tell the big bully about an idol to gain something-something, then at least limit it to one idol. He has such a weird mind that despite lying a whole lot, there are many times when he is literally unable to lie.
"I have an idol...ok, I have two idols". If he'd had three idols, he would have said so too. And the main reason why he used both of them in one TC was because he was so mentally broken from all the bullying that he just gave up and gave the idols to get a clean slate. I suppose what he should have done after the Brad thing backfired was to just be open and say "ok you motherfuckers I have two idols, I will use them at two of the remaining councils on myself, and I will win one of the immunities to cover the third council".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I hope this was the last time playing for a lot of this season's cast: over-rated Cirie, hapless Tai, invisible Troy, Andrea, manic Tony, "game changers" Hali and Ciera Eastin, Caleb, Varner, JT, Debbie, Sandra

gif Probst posted:

She didn't just get a poor edit, she also played a horribly unlucky game, from the start just continually being on the wrong side of the numbers.
She was a drifter.
Aubrey kept having her "allies" voted out because they only allied with her when they were desperate and realized they had no where else to turn.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just finished watching. Seemed like a worthy winner this season but Culpepper definitely threw it by not taking Tai (despite what the jury mock voted in the reunion).

Tai was definitely a trainwreck but tbf he had balls holding onto two idols for so long considering how often he appeared to be on the chopping block.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Cirie is equally fatally flawed as Russell Hantz. There is no conceivable scenario where either of them wins.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

When the jury is whining on about Sarah lying, Sarah should've pointed out times when that person has lied or backstabbed someone because it really is just pathetic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's kind of silly for Troyzan to be so bent out of shape for the edit burying him when even he knew on Day 39 that he had no shot of winning. Maybe if you'd been more proactive, dude.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

CODChimera posted:

When the jury is whining on about Sarah lying, Sarah should've pointed out times when that person has lied or backstabbed someone because it really is just pathetic.

That's an easy way to alienate people and lose jury votes

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

really stoked for season 35: zeroes, zealots and ziggurats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Brad looked like a high school science teacher.

• Locked thread