Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Toadsmash posted:

This game isn't much to look at, but they sure make up for it with the sound effects in a big way. The direwolves are chilling.

Yeah the sound effects make the combat a lot more visceral than you'd expect. Orcs losing their poo poo when they panic always puts a smile on my face.

The music is low-key great too, I love the different styles they have for various enemy factions. They're all very fitting. And even after hundreds of hours in the game I sometimes hum along to some of the world map themes.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I love the sound effects and music even if I'm not so good at this game. I guess I just need to keep plodding on, I just hate losing guys. At what point do you start going after places that pop up on the map? I know someone said a while ago here that they start right away, I've never had much luck taking one and save scumming makes the good drops dissappear it feels like

You can often actually see what enemies a map location has when you get near, so even early on it might be worth it to go take a peek in case it's just some bandit thug rabble.

In the case of forts that you can't see into, by my memory it usually trends towards a good number of bandit raiders, or hordes of armored wiedergangers shored up with fallen heroes or geists. Both of which are bad news for a newbie company.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Generally abandoned houses seem to be good for bandit thug fodder, but aside from that if i can't see whats in it, I don't go into it unless i'm rocking some raider gear at minimum.

The house rule of thumb is not a guarantee.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Unrelated random observation, the game's Recent Reviews rating on Steam is back up at Very Positive after the "abloobloo devs abandoned unfinished game" debacle. :)

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Random dungeons on the map from what I've seen have no real cap on the strength of the enemy types they'll spawn compared to what they'll roll for a contract that sends you to one at a given stage of the game. I came across a fort with orc berserkers inside on day 4 just tonight.

Don't wander around in forests far from civilization till late game if you can help it. It's possible to get ambushed by packs that won't be visible on the world map beforehand in a forest, which can include all the way up to necrosavants and massive packs of frenzied direwolves that don't even give you the option of getting to a map edge before retreating.

Or lindwurms, for that matter, but as terrifying as those are in a stand up fight, they actually have a sane movement speed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nordick posted:

Unrelated random observation, the game's Recent Reviews rating on Steam is back up at Very Positive after the "abloobloo devs abandoned unfinished game" debacle. :)

Pretty sure that happens after any game say's they're done. Which is loving mental, because battle brothers is one of the most finished games i've ever put money into.

Not including Kerbal Space Program. That probably takes the crown.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dogstile posted:

Pretty sure that happens after any game say's they're done. Which is loving mental, because battle brothers is one of the most finished games i've ever put money into.

There is a lot of potential that got left on the table, though. Like, just one or two more tilesets for "ruins" and "city" combats, for example. There's *so much* more that could be done with the base system, and it's sad it won't be.

Game still perfectly good though.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

dogstile posted:

I was honestly really let down by them calling it a day. Not "steam-tantrum" but I understand some of where they were coming from. It's a really good game but I just wish there was more. Give me a sequel or some DLC or something that broadens and deepens the game. It's one of the best games of the year but give me some more weapons, perks, enemies, tilesets, and the ability to ride horses and it would be one of my all-time classics along with the original xcom or civ4.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

SickZip posted:

I was honestly really let down by them calling it a day. Not "steam-tantrum" but I understand some of where they were coming from. It's a really good game but I just wish there was more. Give me a sequel or some DLC or something that broadens and deepens the game. It's one of the best games of the year but give me some more weapons, perks, enemies, tilesets, and the ability to ride horses and it would be one of my all-time classics along with the original xcom or civ4.

Yeah same, the game is extremely addictive and polished considering the size of the dev team but there's so many "you could just add this!" moments. The game works perfectly as is, but it could have also been heavily expanded by a followup DLC and would be even better.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah same, the game is extremely addictive and polished considering the size of the dev team but there's so many "you could just add this!" moments. The game works perfectly as is, but it could have also been heavily expanded by a followup DLC and would be even better.

If only the last "You could add this!" Was mod support, and then the community would take it the rest of the way. I know, massive reworking, wasn't on their to do. But if I can dream about winning the lottery I can dream about BB mods.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Donkringel posted:

If only the last "You could add this!" Was mod support, and then the community would take it the rest of the way. I know, massive reworking, wasn't on their to do. But if I can dream about winning the lottery I can dream about BB mods.

Mobile port when

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SickZip posted:

Same here. I'm happy with what we have. Really happy. I think it's the best strat game I've played since Jagged Alliance 2 and the first to hook me the same way. But I understand them being done after 5 years of working on Battle Brothers and I admit I'll be really eager to see what else Overhype makes because gently caress I want more.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The game is absolutely worth what they priced it as. That the main complaint is 'there could be more' just shows how well they did.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, totally. Just at the same time I wish there was more.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If I could play this on an iPad I would never put it down

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Mobile port when

gently caress you, it never occurred to me before how great BB would be as a mobile game and now I want something that will never exist

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I should stream this again

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

I should stream this again

Yea ya should

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

gently caress you, it never occurred to me before how great BB would be as a mobile game and now I want something that will never exist

:getin:

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alchenar posted:

The game is absolutely worth what they priced it as. That the main complaint is 'there could be more' just shows how well they did.

Agreed.

It's frustrating that there's a bunch of okay-ish games I would have to spend hundreds of dollars on DLC to have complete but in this game that's actually really good I'm begging them to give me something I can spend money on and they look down and whisper "no"

Someone tweet at them that the rate of return on DLC is usually much better then it is on developing a title from scratch.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is a lot of potential that got left on the table, though. Like, just one or two more tilesets for "ruins" and "city" combats, for example. There's *so much* more that could be done with the base system, and it's sad it won't be.
Yeah, as great as the base system is, a lot of fights can be solved the same way (have a solid line of melee bros in heavy armor and plink away with your archers until the enemies come to you).

Not all of them, but some additional terrain and enemy types to mix it up and a balance patch for some skills would have done a lot for the game.

I love the sound effects and music even if I'm not so good at this game. I guess I just need to keep plodding on, I just hate losing guys. At what point do you start going after places that pop up on the map? I know someone said a while ago here that they start right away, I've never had much luck taking one and save scumming makes the good drops dissappear it feels like
I posted about an ultra-aggressive strategy a couple of times, so I'm gonna assume you meant me.

What I do in the first weeks is attacking everything I feel I can kill without losses. And it's always worth considering to attack any Brigand Raiders you see just because they might drop some good poo poo. This is all about building up reputation and experience and getting Raider gear faster.

Going after lairs is mainly nice for loot, specifically uniques, later on. I've managed to reliably get 10+ uniques before the first crisis. But I generally only start attacking the more dangerous lairs like Brigand camps once I can get noble contracts. By then everyone is in looted Raider gear and the company should be looking at expanding to 12 bros soon if it isn't there anyway. That's when I start hiring and firing cheap but potentially good bros (Farmhands, Thieves, Messengers, Gravediggers etc.) so a couple of the ones that are not gonna make it dying to Marksmen is fine as long as the cash keeps coming in. And if you just keep fighting, it will. Especially if you manage to get paid for heads.

There are still some lairs you can attack early on, though:
Really early on you can attack the huts. All enemy types that can be in there (Orc Young, Wiedergänger, Brigands iirc) are easy enough.
There's also a short window of time in the early game when Ancient Dead lairs (the regular ones, not the Necrosavant coven ones) are populated only by Auxiliaries, with no Legionaries in sight. The loot you can get from them can be worth the risk - you'll sometimes even find an early unique. But even Auxiliaries can be deadly in numbers and your company may not be set up to deal with them well. (I like to give everyone swords asap and don't hire more than one archer in addition to the starting one early on, so my companies could often do it. But if you go with a spearwall and more archers you might want to stay away.)
Graveyards can be manageable for early game companies but iirc you don't see what enemies are in them and there's a solid chance it's ghosts. So gently caress graveyards.
I'd save everything else for later. Orc caves are one of the most interesting lair types to attack once you've got some gear and levels because they'll only ever contain Young and Berserkers but still drop uniques often enough. And Orc weapons are valuable.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 29, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey BB goons I'm streaming again!

https://www.twitch.tv/griddead

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Dub post but we're streaming again. Come join Wizard Styles in telling me why I'm bad.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Gridlocked posted:

Hey BB goons I'm streaming again!

Yeah trip post so what. Watch the stream and tell me why triple posting sucks.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah trip post so what. Watch the stream and tell me why triple posting sucks.

it doesn't and neither does your streaming the game boom owned stream more please

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, this thread was never gonna live forever, anyways. Such is the way of threads for singleplayer indie games without ongoing development; eventually people will move on.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anyone played Banner Saga, and will it scritch my BB itch?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
No. Not even close. It's a decent game in its own right, though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tias posted:

Anyone played Banner Saga, and will it scritch my BB itch?

It won't, but it is still good. Try Mount and Blade Warband if you haven't yet.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Know my pain, goons :smith:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Count Uvula posted:

I want to know more about Dirk's pain, because that looks like a friendly fire kill. :v:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

it doesn't and neither does your streaming the game boom owned stream more please

Well I WAS going to try RimWorld out now I picked it up.

But if you insist.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Wizard Styles posted:

I want to know more about Dirk's pain, because that looks like a friendly fire kill. :v:

That's just Tim Dog living up to his namesake (and he got a double kill that turn if you count Dirk, because there was nobody to get in the way of his second shot):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol3taTC7Dwc

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

20 days till Battletech.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Count Uvula posted:

I guess Tim Dog showed him what time it is :getin:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The friendly fire kills are both the best and the absolute worst things

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

dogstile posted:

The friendly fire kills are both the best and the absolute worst things

I was keeping my favorite archer around even after he lost an eye in a fight because I was attached to him and I didn't realize you could pay someone to fire them without a big moral hit until he overshot a target and killed my favorite 2 hand tank. Million to 1 shot doc.

I just read some other guides and apparently people don't like student as much as I do. I would guess its only "worthwhile" if you get to max level? Any thoughts? I take it on everyone haha

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 3, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't really bother. You're not hitting any huge breakpoints in number of battles played before end game and i'd much rather take something like crippling strikes on my polearm dudes (who will be surviving more often) than student to help out the front line survive (as people with split hands aren't hitting poo poo)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Student is worth it if you're reloading deaths, not worth it if you're playing more hardcore.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I reload deaths quite a lot because I'm a pissbaby, and I still don't feel like Student is really worth it. The timeframe it leaves the brother an actual perk short is just too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Dear Penthouse,

I never thought it would happen to me...