Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Let's assume that we won't get incinerated or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Rebonack7 posted:

I'm still not entirely sure why Stine always capitalizes "dumpster". Maybe he thinks it's a brand name or something.

It was!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it just became genericised. Maybe in the 90s it wasn't so much so yet?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“That tunnel must lead outside. Let’s stay on the Dumpster,” you say. “We may stink, but we’ll be free. Maybe we can even get back to the museum before Mr. Dunning misses us.”

The Dumpster rattles into the tunnel. It’s pitch-black. But then you see a pinprick of light at the far end. The pinprick grows. And grows. It’s daylight!

“Yes!” Liz cheers. “We’re out of here!”

What a relief! You’re leaning forward eagerly when the Dumpster jerks to a stop. Who-o-oa! You topple forward and land flat on your face. In a mound of moldy tuna casserole.

Big yuck! You sit up, spitting out bits of old fish. You’re just in time to see Liz being lifted off the pile by a giant scoop. She screams as she’s dumped into a bin on the back of a trash truck.

You’re next. The giant scoop sweeps you up. Well, on the bright side, it looks as if you and Liz will go to your doom together. Friends to...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Accidentally phoned up the guy who kidnapped us.
Driven off the side of a cliff.
Trapped in a steaming tube and shrunken into a speck.
Absorbed by a slime monster under a bed.
Derailed the plot by not making suicidally bad choices.
:siren:Scooped into the back of a trash truck and presumably compacted.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Find out what's moving in the shadows.
  • Stay still to save oxygen.
  • Stay still in the closet.
  • Get out of the dumpster.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stay still in the closet.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Hey, I caught up to this thing before we got to books I actually had.

Get out of that Dumpster with a capital D, there's gotta be an escape route here somewhere.

Also, we've been kidnapped by some crazy skeleton man working for the insane, possibly dead daughter of the museum's director, why are we suddenly caring about getting back to this guy's museum without our teacher noticing we've been gone? Are these kids just as unaware of the existence of the police as the main character from the Dr. Eeek book?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why call the police when you can order a pizza instead? :v:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Better get out of the Dumpster this time.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“I think we should get out of the Dumpster. It might be going to an incinerator,” you point out. “We’ll find another way out of this crazy place.”

“Right,” Liz agrees. “Let’s go!”

The two of you scramble over the side of the big Dumpster and jump down to the floor. Not a moment too soon! The Dumpster plunges into the tunnel and is swallowed by the darkness.

You’re in what looks like a basement. It’s huge and dimly lit. A set of rails snakes past your feet – the tracks the Dumpster moves on. “Let’s follow these back and see where they start,” Liz suggests.

It’s a good idea. You trace the tracks backward until they disappear into another dark tunnel. You don’t want to follow them in there. Instead you climb the seven steps next to them.

At the top of the steps is an arched doorway. Cautiously you stick your head through. You’re looking down a long hall lined with purple doors.

“Aha!” yells a voice behind you. “There you are!”

quote:

You jump. Who yelled?

When you look the other way down the hall, your heart sinks. Standing at the far end is Axel. Even at this distance, his fleshless face gives you shivers. Exactly what happened to him? you wonder. But there isn’t time to think about that right now. Because Axel is moving toward you. Fast.

You try to keep calm. “Maybe we should run,” you tell Liz.

She doesn’t answer. That’s when you realize she’s already halfway down the hall.

“Wait for me!” you yell, and sprint after her.

You catch up to Liz at the end of the hall. “There’s no way out,” she pants. “Let’s see what’s behind one of these doors.”

She throws open a door and you dash through. Then you slow down to look around. Where are you?

This room looks like the kitchen of a fancy restaurant. It’s full of gleaming, stainless-steel machines. There’s one that looks like a giant mixer, and another with dozens of sharp blades. It’s labeled PEELER.

But the one that really gives you chills is the DEBONER.

quote:

You and Liz inspect the Deboner. It’s a giant, shallow funnel set into the floor. A cluster of metal arms hangs from the ceiling above it. Some are equipped with drills, souls, and other tools. But most of them end in wicked-looking claws.

CLACK! CLACK! The claws snap menacingly as you draw near.

“Isn’t it a clever toy?” Someone whispers behind you.

Axel! He sneaked up behind you! You think fast. “Liz, go left!” you order, as you dodge to the right.

Axel lunges after you. And trips over the electrical cord of the Deboner. “Yaah!” he yells as he topples into the funnel.

The Deboner’s mechanical arms move in a blur. Before you know it, Axel is hanging in midair, held tightly by dozens of claws. A drill hums toward his heart.

“Help me!” he begs. Tears well up in his eye sockets. “I already lost my face. Don’t let me lose all my bones as well. Please!”

You hesitate. You feel kind of sorry for Axel. Even he doesn’t deserve to be deboned.

On the other hand, if you help him, you might be sorry.

If you think you should help Axel, turn to PAGE 45.

If you don't think you should help him, turn to PAGE 82.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Scooped into the back of a trash truck and presumably compacted.

Achievements
None yet.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

We know he looks like he does because of the machine, he clearly isn't happy about his current situation, and there's presumably more than one guard in this place. Do we really have that much to lose by helping him?

Let's help.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
No mercy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He did give us a nice limo ride.

Help Axel.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Let's help him despite the fact that the machine is basically Mr Bonestripper from Nothing But Trouble.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“I think we should help Axel,” you whisper to Liz.

She makes a face. “Are you kidding? He kidnapped us and brought us to this weird place. Who knows what horrible things he was going to do with us? And now you want to help him? What if he comes after us again?”

She has a point. Maybe you should think again.

Still want to help Axel? Okay, turn to PAGE 136.

Changed your mind? Go to PAGE 82.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

If we don't help him, he'll probably still come after us, just even angrier.

Help the man. We are good people.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
No

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Render assistance. We're either going to come out of this all right or get a really good death.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Let's help him, for the same reasons that AweStriker outlined.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He did give us a nice limo ride.

Help Axel.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“I still think we should help Axel,” you tell Liz. “No matter how awful he is, this horrible Deboner is worse!”

Liz looks doubtful. “All right,” she says at last.

The drill is almost touching Axel’s chest by now. You rush over and yank on the Deboner’s electrical cord.

Sparks shoot from the outlet as the machine is unplugged. Slowly the drill stops turning. The claws drop Axel into the giant funnel. He picks himself up and climbs out.

“Thank you,” he cries, hugging you and Liz. Tears pour down his bare cheekbones. “I’m so touched! No one’s ever done anything nice for me before! You two are real friends.”

“Great!” Liz grins. “So you’ll let us go, right?”

Axel shakes his skull sadly. “I’m sorry,” he says softly. “I can’t do that. Miss Sybil would never forgive me.”

Liz glares at you. “I knew I never should have listened to you!” she yells. “Come on, let’s run!”

“Wait!” Axel cries.

quote:

“I can’t help you escape,” Axel tells you. “But I can give you something that might help you later on.”

He takes a round mirror from his jacket pocket. “Keep this,” he says, handing it to you. “It might come in handy.”

“What for?” Liz asks. “Why would we need a mirror?”

“I can’t tell you,” Axel says.

“Can you please tell us why we’re here?” you ask.

Axel sighs. “My boss is Sybil Wicked,” he says. “She’s a scientist like her father, Dr. Izzy Wicked. Three years ago Miss Sybil was in a fire. Everyone thinks she died, but she didn’t. She lived – but her face was horribly burned. Since then she’s been living in secret, working on a way to make a new face for herself. But she needs someone else’s face to do it.”

You shudder. “You mean she wants to – to steal our faces? Is that what happened to you, Axel?”

Axel nods. “An early experiment,” he explains. “It didn’t work. But Miss Sybil kept me as her servant.”

What a gruesome story! You can’t let it happen to you!

“Now go,” Axel tells you and Liz. “I’ll count to a thousand before I come after you again. Good luck!”

You tiptoe away as he starts to count.

quote:

You and Liz leave by a door at the far end of the Deboner Room. It takes you to a long flight of stairs. You go up... and up... and up. At last you reach the end.

“Whew!” you pant. “We must be really high up now!”

You hurry into a room with two hallways branching off from it. “Maybe one of these halls leads outside,” Liz suggests. “I’ll check the one on the right. You check the left.”

You agree. But as you’re moving toward the hall on the left, you notice a round window set into the middle of the floor. Like a porthole. Curious, you kneel down and peer through it.

You’re gazing down on what seems to be a scientific laboratory. A black-haired girl in a long, purple robe is examining something in a test tube. Her back is to you. But as you watch, she turns around. You catch a glimpse of her face.

You clap a hand over your mouth before the scream can get out.

quote:

The face of the girl in the lab is a real horror!

It looks as if it’s been stitched together from many different faces. Seams crisscross her cheeks. The skin is all different colors. A tuft of red hair grows right out of the middle of her forehead. One eye is blue. The other is brown. The brown eye is bigger than the blue eye. And it’s two inches higher up on her face!

Then you realize who you’re staring at. It can only be Sybil Wicked.

“This is a dead end,” Liz complains as she emerges from the right-hand hallway. “How about the other – hey! What are you looking at?”

You hesitate. Sybil’s face is really scary, you think. Should you let Liz see it? Or should you spare her some nightmares?

If you decide to show her, turn to PAGE 32.

If you decide to spare her, turn to PAGE 44.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Mirror:siren:

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gaze upon her, Liz!

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Hey, check out this gross thing I found!

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Show her. I can't see any reason why we shouldn't.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Android Blues posted:

Gaze upon her, Liz!

Sure, this. I'm sure we won't die horribly.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
Haha, look at this gross weirdo!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Liz needs to learn the horrors of excessive cosmetic surgery by an unlicensed surgeon.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“You’ve got to see this,” you tell Liz. “It’s Sybil Wicked. You won’t believe your eyes!”

Liz kneels beside you and gazes through the porthole.

And screams. “What a horrible face!”

At the sound of the scream, Sybil Wicked looks up. She’s staring right into your eyes! You’re so scared you can’t move.

Which is too bad. You’d have been better off running away.

Sybil reaches down and pulls a big purple lever on the floor of the lab. The floor beneath you and Liz caves in.

It’s a trap door. And you’re falling through it!

THUD! You hit the floor of the lab – face-first. You lie there for a minute, stunned. “Oooooh,” you moan.

Your gaze stops at last – on the face of the hideous Sybil Wicked.

quote:

Before you can react, Sybil hauls you up and ties you to a chair. Liz is already tied to another one next to you. Your nose throbs and your lip feels like it might be split. Liz has a black eye.

Sybil paces, grumbling to herself. “These faces are ruined!” she whines. “Flattened! Bent! Swollen! I can’t use them now. They look as bad as the one I already have!”

“Too bad,” you remark. “I guess that means you’ll have to let us go, doesn’t it?”

Sybil laughs. “Hah! I can’t let you go now. You could get me in trouble! No, I think I’ll keep you for my other experiments.”

“Wh-what other experiments?” Liz stammers.

“You’ll find out soon enough,” Sybil says, smirking.

Not soon enough, as far as you’re concerned. Axel carts you away to a giant hamster cage. The only thing there is to do there is run on a giant exercise wheel. Which gets really boring, really fast. After a week, you’re just wishing for...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mirror

Bad Endings
:siren:Forced to run in a giant hamster wheel until we lost the will to live.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Find out what's moving in the shadows.
  • Stay still to save oxygen.
  • Stay still in the closet.
  • Leave Axel in the Deboner.
  • Don't let Liz see Sybil's face.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Adamant posted:

Show her. I can't see any reason why we shouldn't.

Goddammit Liz.

Don't show her, then.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, that was random.

Look away, Liz.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You won’t show Sybil Wicked’s face to Liz, you decide. She’ll just get creeped out.

“I’m not looking at anything,” you answer quickly. “Come on, let’s investigate this left-hand hall.” Taking Liz’s arm, you pull her past the porthole and down the short hallway.

At the end is a purple velvet curtain. Behind it, you can hear a low, steady buzzing noise. A sign pinned to the heavy cloth says DO NOT DISTURB.

Would it be rude to ignore the sign? “My parents always taught me –“ you begin to say.

Then you hear voices behind you. You recognize one as Axel’s. The other is a girl’s voice. It’s saying:

“My victims must be here somewhere. We must find them!”

This is no time to worry about rudeness! You and Liz quickly duck under the purple curtain.

quote:

BZZZZZ! The buzzing sound is suddenly much louder.

You’re in a room so big you can’t even tell where it ends. All you can see is aisle after aisle of metal shelves. They look like bookshelves. But these shelves are stacked with... bodies!

Bodies in long, purple robes. They seem to be sleeping. That’s what the buzzing noise is. They’re snoring!

Fascinated, you step closer and peer at one. Its skin has a strange, waxy glow. On its sleeve is embroidered SYBIL 67. The one on the shelf above it is labeled SYBIL 82. Creepy!

Each face is slightly different from the others. One has a big nose. Another has no eyebrows. One even has no upper lip.

“These must have something to do with those experiments we were told about,” Liz whispers. “I bet Sybil Wicked used these people somehow in her face-replacement experiments.”

That gives you an idea. “So maybe all these people are mad at Sybil,” you say. “Maybe if we wake them up, they’ll help us get out of here.”

“Maybe,” Liz says. “Or maybe they’ll turn us in!”

What should you do? Better make up your mind!

If you try to wake the sleeping Sybils, turn to PAGE 85.

If you decide not to, turn to PAGE 34.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mirror

Bad Endings
Forced to run in a giant hamster wheel until we lost the will to live.

Achievements
None yet.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

From the sound of it, these are wax sculptures, not people.
If they are people, however, they're people left sleeping in this room both unattended and unguarded, which means it's incredibly unlikely they're unwilling prisoners. Let's leave them the gently caress alone and get the hell out of here.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Move on, nothing to do here

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Let's leave.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Let sleeping sybils lie

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
Sure, it's a terrible idea, but let's wake the sleepers and see just how badly it pans out.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Never trust anyone named Sybil,” you declare.

Liz nods. “Let’s let these bodies sleep. We’ll find a way out by ourselves.”

As quietly as you can, you tiptoe through the aisles. You don’t want to wake anybody! It’s hard, though. The aisles are very narrow.

You ease around the corner. Oh, no! Your shirt is caught on something. You’re stuck! You tug at your shirttail.

CRASH! BANG!

The huge room echoes. It sounds as if you knocked over ten garbage cans! Your heart is in your mouth as you turn around.

A single object is rolling across the floor. Quickly you bend down and snatch it up. Maybe you can simply put it back on its shelf and keep going.

You don’t really believe it’ll be that easy, do you?

When you straighten up, all the Sybils are sitting bolt upright on their metal beds. And they’re all pointing at you!

quote:

At exactly the same moment, all the Sybils open their almost identical mouths and shriek. “EEEEEEEEEE!”

Then, like an army of zombies, they climb off their shelves and start toward you.

“Run!” you yell to Liz.

“That word is getting really annoying,” Liz pants as you tear toward the far end of the huge room.

She’s right. If you get out of this nightmare, you’re going out for track. After all this practice, you’ll be a star!

Except that it’s starting to seem like you won’t get out. You can see the wall now. But you don’t see any doors.

The zombie Sybils are closing in! You gaze around. There’s nowhere else to run – except back through the Sybils.

You realize you’re still carrying the object you knocked off the shelf. What is it? You look down at it.

Hey! It’s a blowtorch!

If you try to run through the Sybils, turn to PAGE 19.

If you decide to use the blowtorch, turn to PAGE 68.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mirror
:siren:Blowtorch:siren:

Bad Endings
Forced to run in a giant hamster wheel until we lost the will to live.

Achievements
None yet.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 28, 2018

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Burn Them

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Burn everything. :dance:

Friend Commuter