Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

If that ship works in game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

https://twitter.com/CleveChris/status/1052276809683820544

:magical:

https://twitter.com/CleveChris/status/1052283647628402690

darn

One review said it was a more accessible and family friendly version of no mans sky.

I can see this. It's also a game, unlike (release) no man's sky

Honestly this game is bringing back memories of Freelancer to me, of all things

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This seems like a game that is gonna appeal very hard to some people, and be kinda 'eh, its good' for a a bunch of others, based on the mixed reception.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

This seems like a game that is gonna appeal very hard to some people, and be kinda 'eh, its good' for a a bunch of others, based on the mixed reception.

Yeah, probably. Some of the scores seem actually mysteriously low to me. I haven't got to the grind yet, but if the grind means flying around shooting at stuff while looking at the pretty scenery, than I absolutely got what I paid for.

Full disclosure, sometimes I would start up multiplayer mode in star fox 64 just so I could fly around uninterrupted doing nothing important for a little while

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Honestly being toy based but also digital it's pretty friendly and makes me not dismiss the game outright. Almost tricking me into the deluxe version because of "all the stuff", I would get.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BattleMaster posted:

I just realized something; I was watching Vinny stream Starlink and he said there were no gyro controls. There's a controller shell shown in that review that shows the ship attached to the controller. How could they not put gyro controls on that so you can aim your ship in the game by aiming your ship in real life?

Remember this was THE thing if Star Fox Zero and everyone hated it?

(Everyone except me, it was the only thing about the game I actually liked)

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 16, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Release a Starlink/LABO kit :argh:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

THE loving MOON posted:

Yeah, probably. Some of the scores seem actually mysteriously low to me. I haven't got to the grind yet, but if the grind means flying around shooting at stuff while looking at the pretty scenery, than I absolutely got what I paid for.

Full disclosure, sometimes I would start up multiplayer mode in star fox 64 just so I could fly around uninterrupted doing nothing important for a little while

I grew up on X-Wing and Tie Fighter. I also, like you, absolutely loved the free flying levels in Star Fox 64. I can't wait to play this tonight.

Given all the crazy customization you can do, I can't wait to find out what combinations produce ludicrous results. My gut based on the reviews I've read is that this is actually going to be a game that I really enjoy.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I grew up on X-Wing and Tie Fighter. I also, like you, absolutely loved the free flying levels in Star Fox 64. I can't wait to play this tonight.

Given all the crazy customization you can do, I can't wait to find out what combinations produce ludicrous results. My gut based on the reviews I've read is that this is actually going to be a game that I really enjoy.

Star Fox 64 has a secret hover cars mode in multiplayer where everybody knocks off their wings on purpose and then run around ground level shooting at each other, it was the best

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pharohman777 posted:

Depending on how it’s structured it’s a game you build poo poo them never actually play it

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There are weapon combos too, I saw arlo post a video where he had a 'nullifier' and 'flamethrower' pair of weapons. The nullifier makes a spherical vortex damage over time effect where it strikes, and hitting it with a flamethrower shot turns it into a fire vortex that does a ton more damage.

And the various weapons and ships earn exp independently, and can have mods you get ingame equipped.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Yeah Vortex can he charged with elemental weapons to beef it up. I use the ice swarming missiles to change it to ice

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Starlink is tempting, but I know if I get it I'll end up buying plastic toys instead of food and paying the rent, so maybe waiting for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw next year is the safer option.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Can you buy the physical version and upgrade to the digital deluxe as if it were DLC?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Can you buy the physical version and upgrade to the digital deluxe as if it were DLC?

I don't think so, but I would have prefered that. It bugs me that Starlink is the only major switch release i have that isn't physical. Some dumb idiot ocd poo poo right there

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

I don't think so, but I would have prefered that. It bugs me that Starlink is the only major switch release i have that isn't physical. Some dumb idiot ocd poo poo right there

Sell all your physicals to rebuy as digital

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just sold Dark Spire DS special edition to a goon for $200. Rare physical editions still have their place.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

SelenicMartian posted:

Release a Starlink/LABO kit :argh:

Release a demo.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Barudak posted:

Sell all your physicals to rebuy as digital

Never, I'll muddle through somehow. This is my cross to bear :rip:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I just sold Dark Spire DS special edition to a goon for $200. Rare physical editions still have their place.

:chanpop:

I bought that and the special edition of the original SMT Strange Journey from a friend a few years ago for :20bux:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just realized I need more joy-cons if I want to play Mario Party with more people but they're kinda expensive for (currently) one game :(

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I just realized I need more joy-cons if I want to play Mario Party with more people but they're kinda expensive for (currently) one game :(
iirc there was some sort of MP+joycons bundle for $100 (??) which seems like it was a pricing error but if it wasn't that's a really good deal.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

American McGay posted:

iirc there was some sort of MP+joycons bundle for $100 (??) which seems like it was a pricing error but if it wasn't that's a really good deal.

I already have the game; why are they releasing such a good value bundle later :argh:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess I'll get the digital deluxe version to play on my own Switch, buy the physical version for the arwing, and give the physical copy of the game to my sister.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If Starlink really is just a fun and accessable Starfox/NMS then I am buying it tonight.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What people are saying make Star Link sound great. I however have things to beat and am patient and I'll wait for a sale, but I'll definitely be getting it.

Is there any purpose, aside from aesthetics, for the weird ship designs? I imagine weapon combos can matter, but why gently caress with the wings, will your ship actually maneuver differently?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What people are saying make Star Link sound great. I however have things to beat and am patient and I'll wait for a sale, but I'll definitely be getting it.

Is there any purpose, aside from aesthetics, for the weird ship designs? I imagine weapon combos can matter, but why gently caress with the wings, will your ship actually maneuver differently?

For flavor. By the way, that's a secret bonus of the digital version- you can put wings on wings and orient them in cool ways and if you were going physical, you'd have to actually own all of those pieces to get creative at all.

edit: The cast is pretty good. I think Levi's brains have been melted by social media more than most people though

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Different wings have different stats, like one wing can give you +15 handling, and another different wing +15 speed. So mismatched wings is gonna be a thing if you wanna optimize.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So this is super irritating. Got my copy of Starlink and it looks like someone took the game out of it, since it wasn't sealed. loving hell, good job Best Buy.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Wow I just saw that on reddit. That sucks dude, hopefully they're cool with refunding you hassle free since it seems to be a widespread issue

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Wasn't me on Reddit, but apparently I can just do the exchange at my local store and look super sketchy. Whatever, I didn't do anything wrong. Surprising it's a wider issue, though.

Edit: Apparently there's a chance you can get a digital code from Ubi, which would be nice. Might send them a chat when I get back from the movies.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 16, 2018

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

trigger9631 posted:

The best thing from this trailer is the Switch rising out of the satanic circle. I made two gifs of it, not sure which I like better:

Wait, that's odd actually.. Take a closer look:

That's not actually a pentagram. It looks like it was drawn to appear satan-esque, let's say, but not actually satanic. Maybe religious imagery can't be used for marketing in some countries?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Snackmar posted:

Wait, that's odd actually.. Take a closer look:

That's not actually a pentagram. It looks like it was drawn to appear satan-esque, let's say, but not actually satanic. Maybe religious imagery can't be used for marketing in some countries?

Hail Santa :tfrxmas: :rock:

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Aussie goons: for those of you who own Rocket League, how hard is it to get matchmade into an online match?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Been playing Google cloud assassin's Creed and the sooner this comes to the switch (English) the better. Not this game, the tech, they're giving us the game free until January so i plan on beating it before then. Genuinely impressed with how smooth it is, running on a wired FiOS network but still. Even my fiancee was excited with the implications that I wouldn't have to buy another box. Game is actually kind of fun, if a little too animation based. Stamina climbing system in botw is still superior.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately it looks like the tech Nintendo uses for streaming is Japan exclusive without any plans to move it outside of that region.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

neurotech posted:

Aussie goons: for those of you who own Rocket League, how hard is it to get matchmade into an online match?

We gave up on rocket league, it was just way way way too laggy. After about 5pm it would just be unplayable until around midnight. This was on ADSL2+.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Starlink coop work well? Framerates killing?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Been playing Google cloud assassin's Creed and the sooner this comes to the switch (English) the better. Not this game, the tech, they're giving us the game free until January so i plan on beating it before then. Genuinely impressed with how smooth it is, running on a wired FiOS network but still. Even my fiancee was excited with the implications that I wouldn't have to buy another box. Game is actually kind of fun, if a little too animation based. Stamina climbing system in botw is still superior.

The technology has been good for a while, I played through all of Deus Ex Human Revolution using OnLive (the thing that crashed and burned hard RIP) on a netbook all the way back in 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So here's the monstrosity my son made. Unfortunately I have to wait another hour for the update to download