Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've snapped the chain style strap wrenches before trying to get stuck oil filters off after letting a shop do a change. I haven't let a shop touch my oil in years because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

one-directional gearwrenches backing nuts off of tcase mounting studs in a tight spot are the loving devil. Also, totally not the reason I own three 9/16" gearwrenches now... nope!

(the nut backs off halfway, then grabs the rusty part of the stud and backs it out, then you can't get the loving wrench off because it's trapped, and there are another five studs to go yet before the tcase will slide far enough over to rescue the first wrench... oh and there's no space to get an angle grinder on the stud even if you wanted to!)
This is kind of why the forum got the "well, gently caress it" picture from when I just cut the entire doghouse out of a Disco to remove the gearbox.

Luckily, the Series trucks are far more civilised. The entire floor and seatbase comes out in sections anyway.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

kastein posted:

one-directional gearwrenches backing nuts off of tcase mounting studs in a tight spot are the loving devil. Also, totally not the reason I own three 9/16" gearwrenches now... nope!

(the nut backs off halfway, then grabs the rusty part of the stud and backs it out, then you can't get the loving wrench off because it's trapped, and there are another five studs to go yet before the tcase will slide far enough over to rescue the first wrench... oh and there's no space to get an angle grinder on the stud even if you wanted to!)

I did this once when removing a bracket from a steering rack. The nut backed into an area which was too tight for the wrench, yet it wouldn't slide back to allow more access because the wrench was in the way. I couldn't get another wrench on it because of the first wrench being there, and because it's a one-way ratchet, I couldn't back myself out of this situation. I ended up hitting the wrench with a hammer to free it, it broke, I took it back to the store and said "it broke", they replaced it. I hope you enjoyed this story.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

Have none of you guys ever heard of a strap wrench?

My bro and I destroyed a strap wrench after the dealership put his oil filter on with an impact wrench (or the incredible Hulk I guess). I still don't understand how he got it off.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Galler posted:

The oil filter on my motorcycle is behind a little cover sort of inside the oil pan. My oil filter wrench (metal one for that size of filter) just rounded off the end of the filter. No way to get a strap wrench on it and the usual screw driver method just mangled it. This type of filter tool was able to grab on to the remaining bit of filter and break it loose. Well worth the :10bux:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BS5B3ZQ?psc=1

I was just about to recommend the same thing too

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I have one of the 3-jaw ones, and it's certainly gotten me out of jams that defeated strap wrenches and pliers.

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

If it helps, when we did Reading festival this year, we moved a house console down from the lighting tower to the sound FOH for one of the touring LDs who is disabled. The industry is always willing to accommodate.
Nice.

My day job is actually based just outside Reading. The traffic was unbelievable, and the amount of trash left behind even more so.

I've not always seen the industry so accommodating, though in the little crew I run, we always try to

I don't see an issue with access into FOH positions in arenas, exhibition halls, stadiums, etc. Theatre might be slightly more challenging, but people are always happy to work with those who are restricted.
There's no way I'd be able to work in any of the theatres I've worked at before. In a lot of cases no way to get around the place.

I recently worked with a stagehand who only has one arm - that guy can bash truss together like crazy, but nobody ever asks him to pack trucks.
That's the thing, being allowed to get on with the stuff you can do.

I quite like putting truss together, I find it almost meditative. A few weeks ago I was told that they could always spot the sections of truss I'd put together, because most of the pins were hammered flush. She made it sound like I did it on purpose, no idea what that's about.

Actually I love load in and load out, moving flight cases by ramming/pushing them, and packing a truck or a goods lift is like a giant 3D Tetris game.

Last venue I was in, some arsehole building contractor who was doing some work there before our load in, started telling me I shouldn't be carrying truss. I told him, okay, you carry some then. So he bends over a 2m section that didn't fit on the dolly, grabs it using both hands and gives it an almighty heave, and proceeds to smack himself in the face with it. I don't think laughter was regarded as the appropriate response, but I didn't see him again after that, and shortly after I heard on the radio that their piece of poo poo truck was no longer blocking our loading dock.

Sound can be tougher, especially at the 'lower' level, where everyone thinks they are/can be a sound engineer.
I've come across a good number of people who think they have more experience than they do. Not that long ago I asked someone to run out a bunch of lines on the stage for the band that was on next, gave them the diagram showing where all the instruments were going. They laid out 18 channels worth of cables in a giant fan, uncoiled and unlabelled, spread across the stage. The first thing the band did when they started moving their backline onto the stage was move these loving obnoxious cables out of the way. Great, now there's a giant unlabelled pile of spaghetti by the stage box. Thanks. :smithicide: That was officially the most unpleasant line check and sound check I have ever presided over.

Since that item opened late, the event manager decides we're going leave the audience put and have them sit there whilst we sound check the next item, a musician comedienne. I'm not convinced this is a fantastic idea, but I run with it. It turns into a double act with her after I sent the god mic to the front of house mix, as well as the monitors I'm using to talk to her, so the audience can hear what's going on. I've never had an audience laugh at something I've said before .. I could kind of get used to that.

Sadly the only real mechanical failure I have to offer from the event was a crew member who sets up a speaker on a stick in a breakout room, goes to tighten the thumbscrew to hold it stationary on the pole, and the whole thing including brass insert comes off in his hand.

Choosing a more 'niche' area of the industry may lead to a faster progression. For example - I'm currently learning d3 (google it), which is totally different, yet kinda the same as what I do already, and having this skill will open up many new opportunities to me.

D3 do video systems and projection mapping, right? Neat tech.

I've never really had a niche. I've done sound, lighting, rigging, electrics, stage hand, local crew. Nowadays I do design and management, or anything else needed really, for technical services at volunteer run conventions around the UK and suchlike. Basically things that can't afford professional crew, or had no idea things could be better until I showed them. For one of these towards the start of this year, I rented a bunch of sound gear on my own account, and took it with me because I couldn't face the pain.

The previous event they had run, their hire company sent them an awful eight channel behringer desk, that someone had unsoldered one of the stereo channel faders from it instead of replacing it. I realise not everyone can afford Midas, Avid, A&H, DigiCo or Yamaha, but who thinks that kind of poo poo is acceptable to send out to a customer? More of a horrible maintenance failure than a horrible mechanical failure. I just noticed that another one of the channels doesn't even have all of its meager complement of indicator LEDs.

It's sitting on top of a hired DN360 I brought with me to ring out the room, because I knew from the event before that that their hire company of choice didn't seem to believe in any sort of feedback rejection.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I have a lot of good memories of running (and installing) sound back in the 80's through the early 90's. I imagine the tech has advanced a long ways since then. I worked for a small company that installed permanent sound systems in churches, theaters, conference rooms, etc., and we also did sound for visiting groups and events where we would take all the equipment, set it up and run it for groups or solo acts that were travelling into town for one off concerts without bringing all their gear with them. Largest one I ever did had about 5000 people at it and we ran a 24 channel sub-mixer (purely for the drums) into the 48 channel main board. We ran the same setup at the side of the stage for the monitors. Was a lot of fun, but one hell of a long day (started about 5am, and didn't get back home until the next day around 10am if I remember right).

I got into all of that by running sound at my church, which grew from a fairly small 300 seat church with a 12 channel board to a 1500 seat (1000 floor, 500 balcony) church running 3 different 48 channel boards - house at the front of the balcony, monitor at the side of the stage, and one for recording in an isolated studio room above and to the side of the stage with a sound-proof window.

I really wanted to get into running live sound for a living, but at the time it didn't seem like there was really any decent way to break into the business since any act big enough to pay a living wage either had good established professional guys who had no interest in someone else potentially competing for their jobs, or they were completely enamored of their sound guy who had been with them since the garage band days, never mind that they couldn't figure out how to prevent feedback or get a decent house mix to save their lives.

I was offered a job as head sound-guy by a 'mega-church', but the hours were terrible - they expected the person to be on-call pretty much 24-7, running sound for all the services (Sunday morning x3, Sunday night x2, Wednesday night x2, and a couple other services that I don't remember which day they were), all special events, as well as producing tapes of all the services (and sending them out) and maintaining all the equipment, as well as training all the volunteer sound guys and scheduling and managing them. It was far more than a full time job, and they offered something like $28k per year salary, which would have been way below minimum wage if you calculated it by the number of hours that I'd have to work. That was about the time I gave up on doing sound for a living and got into IT.

I hope you find a way to get into the industry in a way that makes you happy, and hopefully can make a living at though.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Have you thought about getting into operating?

This is awesome. Load cells are popular these days on touring rock'n'roll systems, especially those where trusses move mid show. It's a convenient way to check that every motor on the truss has tension when it's in the air, and it can help satisfy the riggers or structural engineers on site.

Some modern chain hosts now have these built in, which is a great thing.

Hey, it's got to stay on there for 30,000 miles! You don't want to risk it coming off, do you? Removing it will be the next owners problem.

Actually saw a guy crash his new to him cbr6 track bike because the oil filter replaced by the PO removed itself, covered the track in oil and then eventually the oil made its way along the block to his back wheel causing a lowside at some speed. Oil filter impact socket ftw!

Alternatively shank your filter with a phillips screwdriver in time honoured fashion and lockwire it to a motor mount. Secure and yet easily removed!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Raluek posted:

I have one of the 3-jaw ones, and it's certainly gotten me out of jams that defeated strap wrenches and pliers.

This is what I use and what I recommend to a lot of people. Works better than strap wrenches and the like.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Saga posted:

Alternatively shank your filter with a phillips screwdriver in time honoured fashion and lockwire it to a motor mount. Secure and yet easily removed!

:what:

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Raluek posted:

I use this. Works better than anything else I have used.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
TR, I suspect he was joking...

QuarkMartial posted:

This is what I use and what I recommend to a lot of people. Works better than strap wrenches and the like.

They are great, we had several sizes at the quicklube and if there is space to use them, they will work. I did leave one nestled in an engine bay with a 2ft 3/8 extension plugged into it once, but it came back a year later :haw:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Saga posted:

Now you mention this, it is kinda weird that such a critical yet easily replaced item doesn't have a secondary safety measure. Even something like a fold down tab next to the mating face. It would discourage people from wrenching the poo poo out of it. But, hey, that 0.01c sure adds up.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

nene posted:

Nice.

My day job is actually based just outside Reading. The traffic was unbelievable, and the amount of trash left behind even more so.

On site wasn't much better! I don't have a picture of the ground but it was just a barren wasteland, covered in trash.

quote:

Last venue I was in, some arsehole building contractor who was doing some work there before our load in, started telling me I shouldn't be carrying truss. I told him, okay, you carry some then. So he bends over a 2m section that didn't fit on the dolly, grabs it using both hands and gives it an almighty heave, and proceeds to smack himself in the face with it.

I hate people like that. The correct response is "because of my disability or my gender?" and see how quickly they shut up and walk off. Though making him hit himself in the face with a piece of truss is a great alternative! :p

quote:

I've come across a good number of people who think they have more experience than they do. Not that long ago I asked someone to run out a bunch of lines on the stage for the band that was on next, gave them the diagram showing where all the instruments were going. They laid out 18 channels worth of cables in a giant fan, uncoiled and unlabelled, spread across the stage. The first thing the band did when they started moving their backline onto the stage was move these loving obnoxious cables out of the way. Great, now there's a giant unlabelled pile of spaghetti by the stage box. Thanks. :smithicide: That was officially the most unpleasant line check and sound check I have ever presided over.

This is where you say "hey, why don't we [read: you] go fetch all those cables back in" and once they've done that, follow with "and now go put them out properly so it doesn't look like poo poo. also try this" *hands over marker pen and (preferably grey) electrical tape*

quote:

Since that item opened late, the event manager decides we're going leave the audience put and have them sit there whilst we sound check the next item, a musician comedienne. I'm not convinced this is a fantastic idea, but I run with it. It turns into a double act with her after I sent the god mic to the front of house mix, as well as the monitors I'm using to talk to her, so the audience can hear what's going on. I've never had an audience laugh at something I've said before .. I could kind of get used to that.

This is a hilarious way to learn that lesson.

quote:

Sadly the only real mechanical failure I have to offer from the event was a crew member who sets up a speaker on a stick in a breakout room, goes to tighten the thumbscrew to hold it stationary on the pole, and the whole thing including brass insert comes off in his hand.

I've seen this happen. It's the difference between "LOL OMG SUPER PRO DJ DISCO 420" kit, and actual professional equipment.

quote:

D3 do video systems and projection mapping, right? Neat tech.

Yeah, thats just an example of a large, well paid industry which you can do from hom

quote:

I've never really had a niche. I've done sound, lighting, rigging, electrics, stage hand, local crew. Nowadays I do design and management, or anything else needed really, for technical services at volunteer run conventions around the UK and suchlike. Basically things that can't afford professional crew, or had no idea things could be better until I showed them. For one of these towards the start of this year, I rented a bunch of sound gear on my own account, and took it with me because I couldn't face the pain.

The previous event they had run, their hire company sent them an awful eight channel behringer desk, that someone had unsoldered one of the stereo channel faders from it instead of replacing it. I realise not everyone can afford Midas, Avid, A&H, DigiCo or Yamaha, but who thinks that kind of poo poo is acceptable to send out to a customer? More of a horrible maintenance failure than a horrible mechanical failure. I just noticed that another one of the channels doesn't even have all of its meager complement of indicator LEDs.

It's sitting on top of a hired DN360 I brought with me to ring out the room, because I knew from the event before that that their hire company of choice didn't seem to believe in any sort of feedback rejection.

That's great, and nice that you're doing that. But don't sell yourself short. If you don't push for larger, more lucrative jobs, then you will likely be doing this forever. I know this because I myself started as a volunteer, followed by working low paid gigs for small companies. And most of the people I started with are still doing that, because they "can't be bothered" to put their name out there. My job takes me all over the world, allowing me to meet and work with some amazing people and watch some amazing (and some not-so-amazing Justin Beiber) shows.

Have you used the Behringer X32 yet? It's surprisingly good for budget console.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 2, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kastein posted:

TR, I suspect he was joking...

They are great, we had several sizes at the quicklube and if there is space to use them, they will work. I did leave one nestled in an engine bay with a 2ft 3/8 extension plugged into it once, but it came back a year later :haw:

I have one that came free with a 6 inch 3/8 extension and a Teng Tools 3/8 ratchet in a Miata engine bay. I assume it had just been sitting there since the last service which was around 8 months prior according to the sticker. Free tools are the best.

I actually broke that ratchet about a year later - I treated it like poo poo because it cost me nothing. A friend then said "oh hey Teng do lifetime no questions swaps on their tools". I still have the replacement ratchet but I treat it with a bit more respect.

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

On site wasn't much better! I don't have a picture of the ground but it was just a barren wasteland, covered in trash.
What the hell is wrong with people?

I've seen mess left behind at the end of a lot of gigs/events and festivals, but I don't think I've ever seen anything as bad as the aftermath of the Reading Festival.

Edit: Found some aerial photography -

Horrible human failures rather than mechanical failures, but still, what the actual gently caress?

I hate people like that. The correct response is "because of my disability or my gender?" and see how quickly they shut up and walk off. Though making him hit himself in the face with a piece of truss is a great alternative! :p
I didn't know he was going to hit himself in the face ...

Okay I had a good suspicion, I've noticed amongst newbies we have on the crew that people never realise how light truss is, but you can't prove anything :P

I actually asked him why, after he'd smacked himself in the face, but he just mumbled something I couldn't understand and wandered off. I've just realised he might actually have been concussed ...

This is where you say "hey, why don't we [read: you] go fetch all those cables back in" and once they've done that, follow with "and now go put them out properly so it doesn't look like poo poo. also try this" *hands over marker pen and (preferably grey) electrical tape*
For various reasons it didn't quite play out like that, I only realised what was going on when I went to find out why it was taking 10 minutes to plug in a DI box. The spaghetti was abandoned and recoiled after things were mostly over and there was just a DJ on stage. They had the decency to look embarrassed when I asked them why they didn't label anything, and we got new (labelled!) cables in place fairly quickly after that.

For cables I either use white or grey, depending on which will blend in better on the design of XLR, and I always have at least one roll of each in the pocket on my wheelchair bag. That and a minimum of 5 sharpies, including a fine point for scribble strips, as well as black for coiling cables and red for marking damaged kit. When I'm working I also have a tape carrier hanging off the back with black matte gaff, white gaff, and some assorted leccy tape. Grey is important to keep around because it blends in well on uncoated truss as well as XLR connectors.

Earlier this year I discovered the existence of 50mm white leccy tape. My scribble strips have never felt so luxurious.

I've seen this happen. It's the difference between "LOL OMG SUPER PRO DJ DISCO 420" kit, and actual professional equipment.
According to the kit list from the hire company, it was an Electrovoice SX300. I'd regard it as being one step above "SUPER PRO DJ DISCO" but not really a real speaker. It was being used with a gig-in-a-box in a 100 capacity break-out room, so it's not like it needs anything special.

Glass filled nylon knob, brass screw thread, brass insert. So it's not lovely stuff; the really cheap and nasty stuff threads steel into thin walled aluminium with no inserts and acts surprised when someone ham fisted pulls the threads straight out of it.

Don't forget a lot of hire kit has a really hard life. I've had to hammer bits of frame back into shape on line array elements before we could mount it to the rest of the array hang. Before you say anything, no it wasn't anything load bearing, it was just in the way of one of the securing pins.

That's great, and nice that you're doing that. But don't sell yourself short. If you don't push for larger, more lucrative jobs, then you will likely be doing this forever. I know this because I myself started as a volunteer, followed by working low paid gigs for small companies. And most of the people I started with are still doing that, because they "can't be bothered" to put their name out there. My job takes me all over the world, allowing me to meet and work with some amazing people and watch some amazing (and some not-so-amazing Justin Beiber) shows.
I've got to be honest, nowadays I wouldn't know how to start getting my name out there. I don't know anyone anymore, and I don't have any useful specialisations any more either. Part of me feels pretty good about doing things that the events wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

Have you used the Behringer X32 yet? It's surprisingly good for budget console.
I've had a brief poke at one a year or two ago, seemed useful but not super impressed.

For a budget console I actually prefer the A&H QU series, QU16/QU24/QU32 - they have useful dynamics on each channel, has an automixer so you're not constantly riding the levels for panel items, the control surface is laid out quite well, and it's small and light enough I can carry one in the boot of my car. I first ended up with one of these after the desk I'd actually wanted had been left in the rain by the previous hirer, and it was still in the workshop being fixed. My account manager (this was on my own personal account) was really apologetic, but told me to give it a try, and I ended up actually quite liking it.

Next up would be a Yamaha QL1, or if we have the money, a QL5 or CL3/5. The channel dynamics are usable but compressors can sound harsh on certain things, but it makes up for it by having sims of things like an Urei 1176 (complete with allowing the unofficial all-buttons-in ratio mode), a portico 5043 or an LA-2A. There's even a reasonable sounding sim of a pultec EQP-1A. It's good sounding stuff without having to splash for a Waves Soundgrid setup, not that I don't carry Waves licenses just in case.

There's a lot of people who prefer Digico, but I've seen too many Digico desks infested with malware as a lot of them still run XP, so I'd rather steer clear. I would much rather have an A&H, Avid or a Yamaha PM series.

The Locator posted:

It was far more than a full time job, and they offered something like $28k per year salary, which would have been way below minimum wage if you calculated it by the number of hours that I'd have to work. That was about the time I gave up on doing sound for a living and got into IT.

I hope you find a way to get into the industry in a way that makes you happy, and hopefully can make a living at though.
The pay at the low end is terrible, yeah. I remember when I was doing local crew work, when the minimum wage came into force in 1999, my hourly wage went up by about 80p to £3.60/hour.

Thanks for the good wishes, I'll probably keep looking for a way in

nene fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 2, 2016

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

It would discourage people from wrenching the poo poo out of it.

Come on you know better than that!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mechanical failure(Loose nut behind the wheel)? At cars and coffee? I bet a Mustang driver did it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiIwvoegfkU

Heh. Idiot.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

nene posted:

Ugh holy poo poo - it wasn't that bad around the stages, I guess that was the camp sites. At least there are people lining up to clean that poo poo up in exchange for a 'free ticket'

quote:

For various reasons it didn't quite play out like that, I only realised what was going on when I went to find out why it was taking 10 minutes to plug in a DI box. The spaghetti was abandoned and recoiled after things were mostly over and there was just a DJ on stage. They had the decency to look embarrassed when I asked them why they didn't label anything, and we got new (labelled!) cables in place fairly quickly after that.

For cables I either use white or grey, depending on which will blend in better on the design of XLR, and I always have at least one roll of each in the pocket on my wheelchair bag. That and a minimum of 5 sharpies, including a fine point for scribble strips, as well as black for coiling cables and red for marking damaged kit. When I'm working I also have a tape carrier hanging off the back with black matte gaff, white gaff, and some assorted leccy tape. Grey is important to keep around because it blends in well on uncoated truss as well as XLR connectors.

Grey is an important colour - it is the lightest colour which doesn't reflect obscene amounts of dark colour light form discharge sources (I'm talking moving lights in Congo Blue). White and yellow tape lights up like crazy, and markings on darker colours are harder to read at a glance.

For coiling cables I'd recommend not-black (grey is a good colour again), to make it easier/faster to find the tape (although the tape should always be equidistant between where the two plugs ended up. Don't get me started on "the correct number of wraps of tape on a cable" or "why you should coil cables under-over and not just round and round"

quote:

Earlier this year I discovered the existence of 50mm white leccy tape. My scribble strips have never felt so luxurious.

Yup, we use it all the time to mark trusses for tours, or to mark fixture numbers, etc on lights. Or for colour marking flights cases per location (i.e. all cable trunks for the Yellow truss get a big Yellow stripe on the PAL label). It's good poo poo.

1"/25mm tape is the holy grail - its just a bit wider than the 19mm stuff you're used to, so kinda like flying business class. Nobody ever seems to use it, though. I know one company that will, at your request, chop a roll of 50mm tape in half on their bandsaw.

quote:

Ahh, I see what you mean now. I thought you were talking about the stupid "speakers on sticks" top hat which always snaps off because it's poorly made in China. This kinda thing: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=speaker+top+hat

That one does look well built, and I can't complain about that kinda failure because even the legendary Source Four occasionally exhibits that failure on its yoke brake. (leading to the hilarious exchange of "can you refocus that light?" ... "no".

quote:

The pay at the low end is terrible, yeah. I remember when I was doing local crew work, when the minimum wage came into force in 1999, my hourly wage went up by about 80p to £3.60/hour.

Ugh that's pretty brutal.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Saga posted:

Come on you know better than that!

:eng99:

BloodBag posted:

Mechanical failure(Loose nut behind the wheel)? At cars and coffee? I bet a Mustang driver did it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiIwvoegfkU

Heh. Idiot.

I love all the related videos of the same crash from different angles. Though I'm not sure that towing that particular car by the back wheels was particularly wise.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 2, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ugh holy poo poo - it wasn't that bad around the stages, I guess that was the camp sites. At least there are people lining up to clean that poo poo up in exchange for a 'free ticket'
Festival camp sites are always total helldumps. I did a bunch of festivals as a volunteer doing water and power about a decade ago and we had a couple of ATVs to move around with. Whenever we had to go on ape safari (i.e. go fix something at the attendee camping, which was constantly because of drunken idiocy and/or sabotage) you had to be at least two people. One to drive and one to with a cattle prod keeping other drunk idiots from trying to hitch a ride.

When the festival was over the camping area would look pretty much like the picture above, but then several local youth sport clubs would come, put on lots of protective wear and spread out on a wide line. They'd have a line of bucket loaders following them and the kids would just toss everything into the buckets. The camp site would go from a disaster area to a clean (and well fertilized :barf:) lawn in a matter of hours.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You guys should go to the Fuji Rock Festival in Japan. It's basically the biggest music festival in Asia AFAIK (this year was headlined by Sigur Ros, Beck, and RHCP) and, because the majority of people are Japanese, it's AWESOME. The camp site's silence this year was broken up only by the drunken British ex-pats who camped next to us and there was a huge pile of unwanted tents, etc. at the entrance where everyone had taken their things to the designated unwanted-items-pile.

Seeing those pictures and hearing about it from the non-rear end in a top hat British people I went with has really put me off of going to the music festivals in the UK (and maybe/probably the US ones, too).

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

Grey is an important colour - it is the lightest colour which doesn't reflect obscene amounts of dark colour light form discharge sources (I'm talking moving lights in Congo Blue). White and yellow tape lights up like crazy, and markings on darker colours are harder to read at a glance.
Yellow just looks plain ugly when combined with a lot of saturated colours. Plus with discharge lamps you've got UV bleed through making the dye flouresce

Unfortunately yellow tape is the colour that the hire company I mostly use tapes cables and kit with to show it's passed tests. Stuff ends up with little ragged bits all over the place.

There's certain types of XLR that white tape blends best with, though for your garden variety neutrik, grey is the best.

For coiling cables I'd recommend not-black (grey is a good colour again), to make it easier/faster to find the tape (although the tape should always be equidistant between where the two plugs ended up. Don't get me started on "the correct number of wraps of tape on a cable" or "why you should coil cables under-over and not just round and round"
I run coiling 101 every event to cover this stuff. Most people just can't get their heads around under/over coiling, so I try to at least show them how to do an over/over coil that won't turn into a shitfest within 10 seconds of the tape coming off. One of my friends tagged along to an event to help, and got so enthusiastic when under/over finally clicked that he now coils everything like that, since he realised just how much less room a properly coiled cable takes up.

I've never really seen the need to be fussy about tape colour on coils. I never look for where the tape is, I do it purely by feel. I guess thinking about it now, that not everyone will do that. Hmm. I mostly go with black because when someone drops scraggy ends of it on the stage it doesn't stand out.

Yup, we use it all the time to mark trusses for tours, or to mark fixture numbers, etc on lights. Or for colour marking flights cases per location (i.e. all cable trunks for the Yellow truss get a big Yellow stripe on the PAL label). It's good poo poo.
Why not just use coloured gaff on the flight cases? It's 50mm, comes in way more colours, and is easier to peel and tear.

1"/25mm tape is the holy grail - its just a bit wider than the 19mm stuff you're used to, so kinda like flying business class. Nobody ever seems to use it, though. I know one company that will, at your request, chop a roll of 50mm tape in half on their bandsaw.
drat, I need details. I've never seen 25mm leccy tape ...

That one does look well built, and I can't complain about that kinda failure because even the legendary Source Four occasionally exhibits that failure on its yoke brake. (leading to the hilarious exchange of "can you refocus that light?" ... "no".
Some of them have two yoke brakes. Of course all that means is no-one notices when one fails, or it has a zoom lens tube with all the glass right at the front, and you come back at the end of the focus and go "okay, great, can anyone tell me why the front ten rows of the audience are lit?" This is naturally why you keep speed tape in your kit. The adhesive sticks to anything, it's heat resistant, and threatening to use it to tape someone to the truss and hoist it to trim height is a threat no-one wants to call your bluff on. Also, you can choose between making some rear end in a top hat who's been annoying you scrape the tape off, or stick it back on the truck mummified to make a point. Okay, yes, swapping the fixture for a spare would be ideal, but we both know there's plenty of times where that's just not going to happen. If you can get a ladder or a snorkel in there, or the truss to a workable height, you can tape it up and the show goes on. Of course, if you can do any of those things, in goes the spare if you have or can. Source 4s have captive cables though, so it's pot luck if you can get in and replace it, unless you have a decent amount of time or gantry access. Remember how Strand fixtures all used hot condition C13/14?

Collateral Damage posted:

Festival camp sites are always total helldumps. I did a bunch of festivals as a volunteer doing water and power about a decade ago and we had a couple of ATVs to move around with. Whenever we had to go on ape safari (i.e. go fix something at the attendee camping, which was constantly because of drunken idiocy and/or sabotage) you had to be at least two people. One to drive and one to with a cattle prod keeping other drunk idiots from trying to hitch a ride.
I've never actually seen a festival campsite before the one at Reading. I was surprised by how many people just abandon their tents. I've never actually attended any sort of event as just an attendee.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's because tents like those cost like $20 at the nearest gas station and the effort to take it down outweighs the value. Especially after a festival during which it has inevitably been pissed and/or puked on/in.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nene posted:

What the hell is wrong with people?

I've seen mess left behind at the end of a lot of gigs/events and festivals, but I don't think I've ever seen anything as bad as the aftermath of the Reading Festival.

Horrible human failures rather than mechanical failures, but still, what the actual gently caress?

:catstare:

So does the UK still have napalm in storage? It'd be worth it to burn in my tent if it meant I got to hear the death screams of those 4am-drum-circle cunts as their patchoulie-scented skin gets burned off their muscles.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Slim Pickens posted:

:catstare:

So does the UK still have napalm in storage? It'd be worth it to burn in my tent if it meant I got to hear the death screams of those 4am-drum-circle cunts as their patchoulie-scented skin gets burned off their muscles.

No need to waste valuable napalm, thanks to the miracle of modern fabrics

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

nene posted:

Yellow just looks plain ugly when combined with a lot of saturated colours. Plus with discharge lamps you've got UV bleed through making the dye flouresce

The spectrum of light from metal halide lamps includes a huge spike at around 600nm (yellow), which doesn't help. The white form these lights is fake, generated from a number of sharp peaks (each caused by the light generated from a particular metal salt). Their colour rendering is poo poo, as a result. There's a reason why moving lights suck at red and green, and this is the reason,.

quote:

Why not just use coloured gaff on the flight cases? It's 50mm, comes in way more colours, and is easier to peel and tear.

Gaff leaves residue, especially when left on for months at a time. It is thicker, making it harder to layer up tape. It is easier to peel from other gaff, so adding overlapping stripes will end in tears (of the waaahhh variety). It s more expensive than PVC tape.

quote:

drat, I need details. I've never seen 25mm leccy tape ...

Yeah, I dunno, I've only seen it a few times. I think I have a roll of red 25mm AT7 in my box somewhere.

quote:

Some of them have two yoke brakes.

Source fours? Yeah, the Zoom range has two, the originals have 1. Someone makes a really nice coiled sping casette which you can clip onto the yoke to perfectly balance the fixture - nice for 5 degree lenses.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

tater_salad posted:

Stanley locking adjustable wrench!!

Best adjustable wrench ever. It is a disgrace how long I went without owning one of these.
I got one of these, on recommendation of this thread. Or maybe one of the tools threads.

I used it earlier this summer to loosen some fittings on the CO2 setup on my jockey box, and one of my friends asked me, "What the hell is that thing?" He played with it a little bit, and promptly bought one on his phone to use at work (maintenance at a paper mill).

Couple of weeks later, he was using *his* while repairing something at work, and one of the other maintenance people says, "What the hell is that thing?" He played with it a little bit, and the next day, he walked into work with one he bought at Sears.

The moral of the story is "if you don't already have a locking Swedish Nut Fucker, go get one".

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
poo poo, it's been in my Amazon "Saved for Later" list for a couple months now. Sooner or later I'll buy it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TotalLossBrain posted:

poo poo, it's been in my Amazon "Saved for Later" list for a couple months now. Sooner or later I'll buy it.

They're 40% off right now and Prime eligible. Click the button already.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just bought one.

It'd be super cool if they had a 6-inch one too, for the little nuts I have to deal with on the laser cutters and 3D printers and stuff, but such a thing doesn't seem to exist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

They're 40% off right now and Prime eligible. Click the button already.

But but but it’s not same‐day eligible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't even get half my prime items within 2 days despite living 30 miles from a warehouse. I'm also on week 4 of waiting for resolution on a missing order. Amazon can suck my dick right now.

I ordered it anyway. Hope it gets here

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
I bought one a couple years ago and haven't used it once. I feel cheated.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

nmfree posted:

I got one of these, on recommendation of this thread. Or maybe one of the tools threads.

I used it earlier this summer to loosen some fittings on the CO2 setup on my jockey box, and one of my friends asked me, "What the hell is that thing?" He played with it a little bit, and promptly bought one on his phone to use at work (maintenance at a paper mill).

Couple of weeks later, he was using *his* while repairing something at work, and one of the other maintenance people says, "What the hell is that thing?" He played with it a little bit, and the next day, he walked into work with one he bought at Sears.

The moral of the story is "if you don't already have a locking Swedish Nut Fucker, go get one".

I also got one of these, on the recommendation of this thread. They're like tribbles. :ohdear:

nmfree posted:

It'd be super cool if they had a 6-inch one too, for the little nuts I have to deal with on the laser cutters and 3D printers and stuff, but such a thing doesn't seem to exist.

You can't expect them to admit to having a 6 inch tool. 10 inches is a lot more respectable.

Saga fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 4, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

I don't even get half my prime items within 2 days despite living 30 miles from a warehouse. I'm also on week 4 of waiting for resolution on a missing order. Amazon can suck my dick right now.

I ordered it anyway. Hope it gets here

Same, my stuff always takes 3 days to arrive, 5 if I order on a Friday. I'd call them and bitch more but since I'm piggybacking off someone else's Prime (I get all the shipping stuff but nothing else) it feels petty to complain.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im in Australia. Thats a $35 wrench and will take 3 weeks to get here off amazon :(

They're $40-60 each off ebay.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Terrible Robot posted:

Same, my stuff always takes 3 days to arrive, 5 if I order on a Friday. I'd call them and bitch more but since I'm piggybacking off someone else's Prime (I get all the shipping stuff but nothing else) it feels petty to complain.

I think I got 5 free months in the past 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Ferremit posted:

Im in Australia. Thats a $35 wrench and will take 3 weeks to get here off amazon :(

They're $40-60 each off ebay.

What's the deal with Australia and tools?