Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zero Gravitas posted:

What did Trump do now?

Not Trump, our Supreme Court. Don't want to turn this into a D&D derail so I won't get into the details but the gist is they gutted unions for public sector workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Zero Gravitas posted:

What did Trump do now?

Continued to exist.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Oakey posted:

The running joke in our office is that Confluence is write-once read-never.

Ask me about writing cyber documentation that no one will ever ask for, read, or care about in a massive confluence space.

:downsgun:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Oakey posted:

The running joke in our office is that Confluence is write-once read-never.

Higgy posted:

Ask me about writing cyber documentation that no one will ever ask for, read, or care about in a massive confluence space.

:downsgun:

Why is this the case?

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
We’re writing new documentation because the old stuff is out of date garbage because nobody maintains it.

Nobody maintains it because nobody reads it.

Nobody reads it because it’s out of date garbage.

Also, once this is written I’m leaving for another project and never looking back.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

Why is this the case?

I'm only being slightly facetious because I'm a little burned out being the only one that gives a poo poo about security for our application dev environments and when the auditors come a knocking, i'm not going to be the one under the bus.

Mostly though, in our case, we use confluence to generate requirements and get buy off from our project sponsors. It's then worked on, summarily archived and forgotten about.

It's supposed to be a communications repo for all project documentation and such to build out a full picture of why software is built the way it is and what key decisions were made but software devs just want to code, sponsors just want their loving super simple app that should have been done in a day, and the project managers (me) get stuck maintaining the poo poo no one else really wants to see or read.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

God drat it people, why do you slam the door with *full force* every time you exit your office? Mother FUCKERS!!!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

God drat it people, why do you slam the door with *full force* every time you exit your office? Mother FUCKERS!!!
Ah I see you've met my old next door neighbors.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

theHUNGERian posted:

My terrible shithead of a boss at an old job would wander the halls and shriek "WOO HOOOOO!" at the top of his lungs. Because as a narcissist, he couldn't stand not being in people's consciousness for any given nanosecond of the day. So that's one possibility.

The other is the same reason people empty the coffee pot and don't make another, leave dirty dishes in the office sink, hold full-volume conversations next to people who are obviously trying to concentrate, and fail to wash their hands after using the toilet. They're the only people that exist.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Che Delilas posted:

My terrible shithead of a boss at an old job would wander the halls and shriek "WOO HOOOOO!" at the top of his lungs. Because as a narcissist, he couldn't stand not being in people's consciousness for any given nanosecond of the day. So that's one possibility.

The other is the same reason people empty the coffee pot and don't make another, leave dirty dishes in the office sink, hold full-volume conversations next to people who are obviously trying to concentrate, and fail to wash their hands after using the toilet. They're the only people that exist.

Yes. At one job I had my cube was directly across from a VP's office (it was a mortgage company so everybody was a VP). She would hold full-volume conversations on speaker phone with her door open throughout the day. Earbuds saved me from going to prison for homicide.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MightyJoe36 posted:

Yes. At one job I had my cube was directly across from a VP's office (it was a mortgage company so everybody was a VP). She would hold full-volume conversations on speaker phone with her door open throughout the day. Earbuds saved me from going to prison for homicide.

No jury would convict you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The floor I'm on is devoted entirely to compliance - either corporate reg compliance (e.g. are the privacy notices exhaustive enough?) or various forms of AML/financial crime investigations. It's a whole office floor of people who love rules and spreadsheets and it's quiet as hell.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

The floor I'm on is devoted entirely to compliance - either corporate reg compliance (e.g. are the privacy notices exhaustive enough?) or various forms of AML/financial crime investigations. It's a whole office floor of people who love rules and spreadsheets and it's quiet as hell.

I'm surrounded by actuaries and other data scientists... and one web designer who will not silence her cell phone and talks (constantly) at a volume somewhere between extremely loud and utterly deafening. This should be the quietest floor in the building but for this one interloper. She is a very nice lady but I would be overjoyed if she moved.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FAUXTON posted:

As someone who works in Regulatory and sits near the other Regulatory/QA people we are the most boring group imaginable. There's one dude who tries to inject some personality into the group, and bless him for trying, but he's also getting an internal promotion to another department in the near future and after that we will be indistinguishable from robots.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I opened up an email

There's a recipient named "BUTTS David"

Email is DButts :laugh:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Hoshi posted:

I opened up an email

There's a recipient named "BUTTS David"

Email is DButts :laugh:

My first job out of school I had frequent contact with a client named Terry Estes.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

C-Euro posted:

As someone who works in Regulatory and sits near the other Regulatory/QA people we are the most boring group imaginable. There's one dude who tries to inject some personality into the group, and bless him for trying, but he's also getting an internal promotion to another department in the near future and after that we will be indistinguishable from robots.

When I was working as an assistant underwriter, the entire floor was as quiet as a tomb, with soft keyboard clacks and the sound of vibrating phones as the only signs of life.

It was good!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Higgy posted:

Nobody wants to read cyber, they want to participate themselves.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 24, 2020

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

My general experience in actuarial settings is that most people are quiet but once a conversation starts everyone nearby tries to get in on it

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pryor on Fire posted:

I used to work at a place that was a typical suburban office building until you got to the top floor, then there was this high security glass and reinforced doors and all this badge access and metal detectors that didn't exist anywhere else. Top floor was of course reserved for executives and important client meetings.

So the regular employees would have to act like they were going through TSA every time they wanted to meet with an executive. It was also a fireable offense to talk about security on the top floor, it was in the NDA. This was for a very boring company that managed some boring real estate things.

In a way they were ahead of their time, I imagine all companies will be like that in 30 years.

This sounds less like "we have info to secure" and more like "we need protection from the mob of people we're eventually going to piss off by making poor decisions"

Shugojin posted:

So the lunch I didn't want to go to turned out to be the absolute height of boomer bitching, the absolute showstopper of which was "I bought my first house at 17, I couldn't wait to get a start on my life! I don't know why my kids are still living at home!"

:psypop:

"Yeah, then you old, stupid chucklefucks voted people like Nixon and Reagan into office. College got more expensive, wages stagnated, companies stopped giving a poo poo about their workers, and the housing market collapsed more than once. So tell me again why anyone should listen to your old, ignorant, dust-farting retarded monkey opinions again?"

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 28, 2018

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
e: double post

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Mmm meeting hell today.

Solid block from 8a to 3pm of almost all Skype conference calls.

:banjo:

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I Love meetings. They're so delightfully unproductive, yet somehow I can spend my entire workday in them.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 24, 2020

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

<>

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 20, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If anyone knows the racist joke that ends with "Why the rabbit ?" then you know why I just had to give our youngest tech a severe talking to. He'll be fine, but for crying out loud kid, 6 people heard that.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Can I complain in here and get sympathy and/or advice?

Corporate_softwaredev.txt

So, obviously plan A is to get the gently caress out. But I'd really like to transfer out of his group and into another group instead. How can I do that, without him getting wind of it and firing my rear end? He's clearly politically connected and the whole team is terrified of him, but I can't figure out the how or why because literally nobody will talk about it. Is this just a lost cause?

What are you doing in your downtime? I assume it’s working other projects, I hope, for your own sanity? If so, keep expanding and networking at the company and get to know the folks in other group. Gain a reputation outside your own team and evolve that into a move by allowing your time to fill on external group projects. “I’m too busy, I don’t want this project to fail so we need to pull in someone to take on my scope to ensure project success in :words:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

mllaneza posted:

If anyone knows the racist joke that ends with "Why the rabbit ?" then you know why I just had to give our youngest tech a severe talking to. He'll be fine, but for crying out loud kid, 6 people heard that.
I think I know the one, but I hadn't heard it as a racist joke, as in punching downwards. The versions I've heard are more mocking of bigotry, like-

quote:

Rabbi Moskowitz is traveling in Warsaw during the Nazi occupation, and is accosted by a soldier.

"Hey, Jew-face, do you know who's to blame for all this?"

Moskowitz knows he's stuck. If he says it's because of the Jews, the soldier will beat the tar out of him for making everything awful, but if he says it's because of anybody other than the Jews, the soldier will beat him up for lying.

So he says, "Why soldier, this is all the fault of the Jews and the chimneysweeps."

"Why the chimneysweeps?"

"Why the Jews?"

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

<>

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 20, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Post poste posted:

When I was working as an assistant underwriter, the entire floor was as quiet as a tomb, with soft keyboard clacks and the sound of vibrating phones as the only signs of life.

It was good!

Don't get me wrong, I like the other people in my department (the other QA people I could take or leave) but I like being able to just throw on headphones and grind through the day without being bothered all the time is really nice.

Speaking of not being bothered, my manager told us to expect mostly radio silence from him for the next couple of weeks as he and other senior leadership gear up for a meeting with a large potential new customer, a meeting initiated by our CEO who told them that we have a bunch of extra product lines that we most definitely do not have and cannot be equipped to have in two weeks' time, so now we're just making sure that what we know we have and what we kind of have are buttoned up well enough.

Sometimes I wish I had more visibility and importance at this company, but then I see all of the bullshit that I dodge by keeping a low profile and realize that it's not worth it here.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sarsa: you’re hosed and should move on ASAP.

The only way you’d be able to transfer to a different department with your current employer is to walk to a different company and then return later. Don’t burn any unnecessary bridges but definitely seek a new employer for now.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This sounds less like "we have info to secure" and more like "we need protection from the mob of people we're eventually going to piss off by making poor decisions"

"Yeah, then you old, stupid chucklefucks voted people like Nixon and Reagan into office. College got more expensive, wages stagnated, companies stopped giving a poo poo about their workers, and the housing market collapsed more than once. So tell me again why anyone should listen to your old, ignorant, dust-farting retarded monkey opinions again?"

The fucker wants to make this monthly, too

He also turned to the general manager of our stores, whose daughter (gainfully employed for 6 years uninterrupted) lives with her and said "so what's wrong with yours that she doesn't move out?"

And I'm really surprised she did not murder him on the spot

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

FAUXTON posted:

My division’s area is referred to as the Library because of how quiet it is. It’s kinda nice, especially compared to the last bank where it was pretty much a call center.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Two years ago...

Me: "I'd like to have hard copies and indexed digital versions of each of these new qualification documents as a deliverable for this project." (50,000ish pages.)
Project Team: "Oh that'd be too much work to print them all and produce binders, and our design standards don't include indexed digitals."
Me: "If I can't easily access these documents and find the stuff I need after your contract is done, they're useless to me. This isn't really negotiable."
Project Team: "We'll keep them organized on the Sharepoint site before we leave and that way you'll have a repository."
Me: "That's seriously not good enough. No way."
My Boss's Boss: "Never mind Sundae. That'll be fine, project team."
Me: "But..."

*Boss's boss overrules me*

Fast forward to today...

Project Team: "Hey, contract's done! Here are your docs!"
*Throws everything in one sharepoint folder, unorganized, no view or edit permissions assigned to anyone, and then orphans the site before running for the door so we have to deal with Global IT now to access anything.*
Boss's Boss: "Who could possibly have foreseen them doing something so unprofessional??"

:smith:

I need to keep a little notebook somewhere to write down "I told you so" every time it's relevant. I'll look back at it in 30 years and feel so profoundly empty inside. :v:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Hoshi posted:

My general experience in actuarial settings is that most people are quiet but once a conversation starts everyone nearby tries to get in on it
I. loving. Hate. This. The actuaries and accountants in my company are the same way.

My teams "pod" is silent most of the time, I prefer it that way. The next pod over is AP, those people are chatty as gently caress. Same as our tax department. Sound canceling earbuds FTW.

Sundae posted:

*Boss's boss overrules me*

I need to keep a little notebook somewhere to write down "I told you so" every time it's relevant. I'll look back at it in 30 years and feel so profoundly empty inside. :v:
#MAGA!

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

I. loving. Hate. This. The actuaries and accountants in my company are the same way.

My teams "pod" is silent most of the time, I prefer it that way. The next pod over is AP, those people are chatty as gently caress. Same as our tax department. Sound canceling earbuds FTW.
#MAGA!

I'm happy to see I'm not alone in observing this.

At my first internship I had my only experience with multiple non technical departments being around us in cubes, and wow they were a lot more social than us with their potlucks and poo poo, plus they were generous.

My desk was technically in the cube hallway and I sort of miss them coming over there to whisper poo poo about their coworkers to each other

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

Ah I see you've met my old next door neighbors.

The same fucker also opens his office door like this:
Insert Key 1: Turn clockwise, push/pull on door, turn counterclockwise, push/pull door
Repeat for 4 more keys

Our doors have tons of wiggle room and I can hear this sound through my closed office door even if I have my headphones on.

In unrelated news, what's the proper smilie for when something turned out to be the other guys' fault?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm hoping to broach the subject of a team transfer to HR in some way but I'm wary about anything HR related, after ten years of corp life.

I was in this exact situation, and attempted the transfer. Did not work, and it just pissed off the empire builder.

Either way learn to love doing nothing all day or burn the bridges to transfer and hate life, or don't hate life and find a new job. Seriously, get out. Tell HR exactly why your leaving and put it on Glassdoor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

theHUNGERian posted:

In unrelated news, what's the proper smilie for when something turned out to be the other guys' fault?

:smug: