Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ginette Reno posted:

They all have swirling chocolate in the commercial :argh:

Not Skittles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I dont like Twix-too much coconut.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ginette Reno posted:

You know, this is like that Twilight Zone where the guy wakes up and he’s the same, but everyone else is different!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ginette Reno posted:

Oh, you may stray, but you'll always return to your dark master: the cocoa bean.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

potee posted:

What's the one with the swirling chocolate in the commercial?

Is there a knuckle involved in any way?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
THEY'RE ALL TWIX!!!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It took you an hour? :raise:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
High five.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

How many Twix does that make for you today!? Like, eight Twix!?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
A nickel!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DuhSal posted:

Is there a knuckle involved in any way?

You mean, not subjecting women to your sexual advances.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Look, all you need is a couple cards, and a few bills on the outside.

That's a 5.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
It's a write-off for them.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

potee posted:

It's a write-off for them.

"You don't even know what a write-off is." "But they do. That's why they can write it off."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MightyJoe36 posted:

"You don't even know what a write-off is." "But they do. That's why they can write it off."

I know that you can't, and I'm positive that you won't.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Tough luck, chinless.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Nice game, pretty boy

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Gyshall posted:

Nice game, pretty boy

Yup, he's a dandy. He's a real fancy boy! :cawg:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PT6A posted:

But the reservation keeps the car here!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LividLiquid posted:

But the reservation keeps the car here!
Ah, don't worry. I made reser--:yikes:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ah, don't worry. I made reser--:yikes:

Yeah, I got them off a sca--

Uh, one of those guys. You know, the guys that uh, sell tickets for sold-out events

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The Narrator posted:

Uh, one of those guys. You know, the guys that uh, sell tickets for sold-out events

It was a great performance. I am unbelievable on the phone. On the date they should just have two phones on the table at the restaurant, done.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Narrator posted:

I know we're all supposed to be quoting and riffing, but that episode is on a long list of fictitious works of the 90s where the gag is "people who think you're being racist are the actual problem and should learn to chill out."

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

LividLiquid posted:

I know we're all supposed to be quoting and riffing, but that episode is on a long list of fictitious works of the 90s where the gag is "people who think you're being racist are the actual problem and should learn to chill out."

I took that ep to be more a reflection on how sheltered/myopic the gang is with race - in that scene Jerry accidentally realises how idioms which have previously been invisible to him are actually racist. The joke is on Jerry for being so obviously unaccustomed to thinking about race that he can't "read the room" and see that his jokes about the cigar store Indian are insensitive. He is not the good guy in the story. The bit with the Chinese postman is a Larry David "gently caress my luck" moment.

I'd also point towards Elaine's plot in The Wizard. Her and Jerry find themselves unable to articulate racial questions and end up asking "should we be talking about this?" Elaine is proud of herself for dating a 'black man' but obvously lacks the tools to discuss race and relies on stereotypes. She later finds out that Darryl similarly can't navigate race, and they realise that the only investment that had in the relationship was that they were fetishising the idea of dating someone outside their race.

You're not wrong that it's a trend in 90s shows, I just think this is a case where the joke is on the white people for their inability to navigate race rather than on strawman proto-SJWs. In any case I'll leave this ep alone in the thread for now.

Edit: I'd also say that "someone asks me which way's Israel, I don't fly off the handle" line still works within this idea. Of course you don't, Jerry, you're white.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 19, 2019

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

The Narrator posted:

I took that ep to be more a reflection on how sheltered/myopic the gang is with race - in that scene Jerry accidentally realises how idioms which have previously been invisible to him are actually racist. The joke is on Jerry for being so obviously unaccustomed to thinking about race that he can't "read the room" and see that his jokes about the cigar store Indian are insensitive. He is not the good guy in the story. The bit with the Chinese postman is a Larry David "gently caress my luck" moment.

I'd also point towards Elaine's plot in The Wizard. Her and Jerry find themselves unable to articulate racial questions and end up asking "should we be talking about this?" Elaine is proud of herself for dating a 'black man' but obvously lacks the tools to discuss race and relies on stereotypes. She later finds out that Darryl similarly can't navigate race, and they realise that the only investment that had in the relationship was that they were fetishising the idea of dating someone outside their race.

You're not wrong that it's a trend in 90s shows, I just think this is a case where the joke is on the white people for their inability to navigate race rather than on strawman proto-SJWs. In any case I'll leave this ep alone in the thread for now.

Edit: I'd also say that "someone asks me which way's Israel, I don't fly off the handle" line still works within this idea. Of course you don't, Jerry, you're white.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Narrator posted:

Anyway, the point I was making before Goebbels made your hamburger is a man like you could be dating women twenty years younger.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Sash! posted:

Anyway, the point I was making before Goebbels made your hamburger is a man like you could be dating women twenty years younger.

What are you, out of your mind? Look at you, you're disgusting. You're bald, you're paunchy, all kinds of posts are emanating from your body twenty-four hours a day. If there's a woman that can take your presence for more than ten consecutive seconds, you should hang on to her like grim death.

Which is not far off, by the way.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

potee posted:

What are you, out of your mind? Look at you, you're disgusting. You're bald, you're paunchy, all kinds of posts are emanating from your body twenty-four hours a day. If there's a woman that can take your presence for more than ten consecutive seconds, you should hang on to her like grim death.

Which is not far off, by the way.

How could I be with someone like you?

I wouldn't respect myself.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You better think again, mojumbo.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
You know, revulsion has now become a valid form of attraction.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gyshall posted:

How could I be with someone like you?

I wouldn't respect myself.

You're a cashier!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

TMMadman posted:

You're a cashier!

I love shrimp! I’m a shrimp eater. You put shrimp in front of me - (gesturing wildly with a knife) and I will eat it until my stomach pops!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That "I love shrimp. I'm a shrimp eater" line was from an ad from the 90s, probably for a restaurant, but I don't remember which one.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

LividLiquid posted:

That "I love shrimp. I'm a shrimp eater" line was from an ad from the 90s, probably for a restaurant, but I don't remember which one.

That's a shame.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Don't a-fill up on the bread!

I'm making you a very a-special dinner.

Verrry special. :smug:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Red posted:

Yes, but we cannot give the people the right to choose any topping they want! Now on this issue there can be no debate!

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

Yes, but we cannot give the people the right to choose any topping they want! Now on this issue there can be no debate!

It's not Top of the Muffin TO YOU!!!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

TMMadman posted:

I can’t get past it!

You obviously like pies! You carry donuts in your bag! You’re not averse to pastry! Surely, you could see how such a thing would prey on my mind!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Red posted:

More wine and turkey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Red posted:

I can’t get past it!

You obviously like pies! You carry donuts in your bag! You’re not averse to pastry! Surely, you could see how such a thing would prey on my mind!

Of course, I'm not a psycho.