Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Jesus, just pulling from Wikipedia

quote:

Vitaly Kaloyev had lost his wife Svetlana Kaloyeva (Russian: Светлана Калоева) and two children, 10-year-old Konstantin (Russian: Константин) and 4-year-old Diana (Russian: Диана) in the Überlingen mid-air collision two years earlier.[2][3]

Yuri Kaloyev, the brother of Vitaly Kaloyev, reported that he suffered a nervous breakdown following the loss of his family.[4] Vitaly Kaloyev participated in the search for the bodies and located a broken pearl necklace owned by his daughter, Diana.[3] He also found her body, which was intact as the trees had broken her fall. Svetlana's body landed in a corn field, and Konstantin's body hit asphalt in front of an Überlingen bus shelter.[5][6]

Kaloyev spent the first year after the accident lingering at the graves of his family and building a shrine to them in his home.[3] At the memorial service for the first anniversary of the tragedy, he asked the head of Skyguide about the possibility of meeting the controller who had been responsible for the disaster, but received no response. Kaloyev then hired a Moscow private investigator to find Nielsen's address outside Zürich, before travelling to the former air traffic controller's home in Kloten.

I think we should also be blaming the system that didn't catch Kaloyev having a breakdown and intervene before it got to the point of murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Jesus christ that would make one hell of a movie (although adapting it in the first place would be utterly tasteless)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Jesus christ that would make one hell of a movie (although adapting it in the first place would be utterly tasteless)

The closest you'll get is the Mayday episode on the crash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0206vx2jkw

It's got interviews, a reenactment of the crash, and it's just heart breaking to watch

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

StrixNebulosa posted:

The closest you'll get is the Mayday episode on the crash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0206vx2jkw

It's got interviews, a reenactment of the crash, and it's just heart breaking to watch
Thread favorite Casefile also did a two-part episode on the case, I found it well worth a listen:

https://casefilepodcast.com/case-106-peter-nielsen-part-1/

https://casefilepodcast.com/case-106-peter-nielsen-part-2/

I generally like Casefile a lot for road trips with my partner, except for some of the multi-part episodes which can drag a bit.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Radar posted:

He was sentenced to eight years but released after two, went back to Russia and was given a hero’s welcome.

quote:

He was released in November 2007, because his mental condition was not sufficiently considered in the initial sentence. In January 2008, he was appointed deputy construction minister of North Ossetia. In 2016, Kaloyev was awarded the highest state medal by the government, the medal "To the Glory of Ossetia". The medal is awarded for the highest achievements, improving the living conditions of the inhabitants of the region, for educating the younger generation and maintaining law and order.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I keep Forensic Files on as background noise at times. Headline News doesn't vary the offerings too much, so what's on are repetitive.

Last night, though, they played this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ktb41M_39w

This line pops up in comment #2: He was in the hot tub with their heads. That's the crowning point of the episode and reenacted for your enjoyment. Or retching. It's a wild case.

The gist of it is this: Erika and B.J. Sifrit were an oddly-matched couple, but a twisted one. They were thrillseekers in increasingly illegal ways. The duo committed a double murder - the hot tub is indeed part of it - after meeting a random couple of inviting them back to their condo. The duo were caught because they drunkenly attempted to rob a Hooters merchandise store and when the police arrived, they happened to have the dead couple's IDs.

The murder of the couple was a game. They tried it again with another random couple a few days later. They escaped physically unharmed, but the how of it is likely pretty similar to the murder.

"Washington Post posted:

Things became even weirder after she, Wright and the Sifrits went to the Sifrits' rented penthouse at the Rainbow Condominium complex, Seling said. She said that Erika Sifrit showed off her pet cobras, talked about snorting anti-anxiety medicine and invited Seling to jump in a hot tub with her to "drive these boys crazy."

And then, she said, the night took a sinister turn when Erika Sifrit claimed that her purse was missing. Benjamin Sifrit flashed a handgun, indicated a bathroom door with a bullet hole in it and threatened to kill whoever had taken the purse, Seling said.

"He became very, very angry," Seling testified. "He said . . . if we ripped him off like the other people who were here, he would do the same thing to us that he did to them -- referring to the bullet hole in the door."

But the purse had been there all along, Seling said.

Authorities believe that the first couple were uncooperative and tried to make a run for it. They locked themselves in the Sifrits' bathroom, but one of the Sifrits shot one through the door, then broke the door down. The other victim was possibly stabbed to death. The bodies were dismembered.

Murderpedia has more details on the case.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

christmas boots posted:

I think we should also be blaming the system that didn't catch Kaloyev having a breakdown and intervene before it got to the point of murder.

it’s the system for sure; Wikipedia also states the company management was running a skeleton crew and nielsen was managing 2 stations simultaneously while components of the alert system were turned off for maintenance. the guy supposed to be manning the other console was asleep, something which management knew about and tolerated, due to their bare bones operation

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

it’s the system for sure; Wikipedia also states the company management was running a skeleton crew and nielsen was managing 2 stations simultaneously while components of the alert system were turned off for maintenance. the guy supposed to be manning the other console was asleep, something which management knew about and tolerated, due to their bare bones operation

I've watched every episode up to last season and a running theme through literally all of them is that everyone involved with the operation and maintenance of aircraft is under tremendous pressure from management to cut every possible corner, and if they're not required by law to have adequate staffing, they will absolutely not have adequate staffing, will repeatedly ignore warnings and pleas from workers about the dangerous situation, and when hundreds die, they'll pay a fine and increase staff, which always seems to have mysteriously been reduced by the time if the next disaster.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Capitalism is a very unnerving death cult yes :hai:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

Capitalism is a very unnerving death cult yes :hai:

Soviet Aeroflot was one of the most dangerous airlines to fly in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_accidents_and_incidents

header for the separate page of 1980s crashes posted:

The total number of fatalities for the decade rose to 2,092. When these figures are compared with the ones for the previous decade, the number of people killed aboard Aeroflot aircraft reduced by 1450. Given that most of the events took place within the borders of the Soviet Union, the table below includes hull-loss accidents for which the number of casualties was not published, a common practice during the Soviet era, as only those accidents that took place within the Soviet Union in which there were foreigners involved, or those that occurred outside the country tended to be published or admitted.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Catherine Wood who was one half of the "Lethal Lovers" nursing home killers has been given parole. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...foutputType=amp

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

nankeen posted:

(Ossetian medal story)

I seriously worry that we're collectively headed for some kind of planetary-government-by-tabloid-comment-section-commenters. Like everyone is losing their goddamn minds.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

I seriously worry that we're collectively headed for some kind of planetary-government-by-tabloid-comment-section-commenters. Like everyone is losing their goddamn minds.

I think The Orville did a show about this.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/sep/01/my-eyes-went-dark-review-matthew-wilkinson-finborough-cal-macaninch-thusitha-jayasundera

I saw a pretty good play about it in 2015.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think The Orville did a show about this.

stop encouraging that man
please
i beg you

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
There is a movie based off the events of the Uberlingen collision, called Aftermath.

The part of the father is played by, and if you can guess this I will be forever amazed, Arnold Schwarzenegger

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

C.M. Kruger posted:

Soviet Aeroflot was one of the most dangerous airlines to fly in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_accidents_and_incidents

Totalitarianism also sucks. People in general are extremely lovely. :shrug:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ugh, why can't we get this governance thing down already. Civilization is hard....

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ugh, why can't we get this governance thing down already. Civilization is hard....

We're chimps that learned how to do math. Let's be honest, it's really more surprising when we don't gently caress it up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only good and true thing mankind has ever created is double chocolate brownies.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

christmas boots posted:

The mental image of finding your family's bodies like that is horrifying. I don't blame the air traffic controller, I blame the bare-bones operating, but I also think it's unsurprising that Kaloyev had such a mental breakdown. The fact that he got so lauded back home for something he did in the depths of septic grief is unnerving, but maybe slightly more understandable because iirc all the dead children were from Odessa, so there's a lot of unresolved emotion around the crash. It's easier to blame one man than it is to blame the entire chain of management decisions that lead to that man running between two different stations that night, I guess.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Solice Kirsk posted:

The only good and true thing mankind has ever created is double chocolate brownies.

Dogs

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

PetraCore posted:

The mental image of finding your family's bodies like that is horrifying. I don't blame the air traffic controller, I blame the bare-bones operating, but I also think it's unsurprising that Kaloyev had such a mental breakdown. The fact that he got so lauded back home for something he did in the depths of septic grief is unnerving, but maybe slightly more understandable because iirc all the dead children were from Odessa, so there's a lot of unresolved emotion around the crash. It's easier to blame one man than it is to blame the entire chain of management decisions that lead to that man running between two different stations that night, I guess.

Reading some of the technical stuff on the wiki page, I really do feel bad for the controller. He was handling both planes because it had become known standard practice for one of the on duty controllers to sleep while the other one handled everything alone. Management was fully aware of it. Aside from that, there was a warning that was supposed to sound several minutes before the controller actually clued into the problem and it was not working due to "maintenance".

It just sounds like a poo poo company that was cutting corners and putting it's employees in a position where the usual redundancies weren't there.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Basebf555 posted:

Reading some of the technical stuff on the wiki page, I really do feel bad for the controller. He was handling both planes because it had become known standard practice for one of the on duty controllers to sleep while the other one handled everything alone. Management was fully aware of it. Aside from that, there was a warning that was supposed to sound several minutes before the controller actually clued into the problem and it was not working due to "maintenance".

It just sounds like a poo poo company that was cutting corners and putting it's employees in a position where the usual redundancies weren't there.
Yeah, like, all the safeties failed and some of them in super preventable ways, and so many people died bc of it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ehhh. Yeah, you're right.

Boxer dogs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We just kinda made the ones we like gently caress each other. I don't know if I'd count that. Plus, humanity also gave us the Kennel Club Standards so, you know, six in one hand, half dozen in the other.

Only way to ruin a double chocolate brownie is to try and make it healthy or adding.....bleh, marshmallows or something.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

madeintaipei posted:

I hear the Russkies give you a medal for shooting down an airliner, what gives?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655#Post-tour_of_duty_medals

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Basebf555 posted:

So, every company under capitalism.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/isaiah_kb/status/1220354870168829953?s=19

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/oil-gas-fracking-radioactive-investigation-937389/

In addition to the known joys of fracking we are stirring up a whole lot of radiation.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rhandhali posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/oil-gas-fracking-radioactive-investigation-937389/

In addition to the known joys of fracking we are stirring up a whole lot of radiation.

seems like a good time to point out that we experimented with using actual nuclear weapons for fracking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gasbuggy

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, like, all the safeties failed and some of them in super preventable ways, and so many people died bc of it.

Like a lot of disasters, it could have been completely avoided if one single variable had been different. Even with all the issues on the ground with ATC, the collision would have been avoided if TCAS wasn't incorrectly documented as a "backup to ATC" when it was designed to be reacted to immediately.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

As a diabetic I'd like to raise a few small problems with that assertion.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jedit posted:

The first being the level of insulin.

I hope that's not terribly offensive.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

The first being the level of insulin.

I hope that's not terribly offensive.

Not to me as type 1 but I feel bad for type 2s :(

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
If we're still recommending no-nonsense podcasts in line with the thread (even if they're well known):
CBC's Uncover is very good. Set up in seasons like Serial.
While the first two seasons of Headlong were not unnerving (but very good), the most recent season, Running from COPS about the exploitation behind COPS and LivePD is absolutely chilling in its own way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jedit posted:

A diabetic coma is a small price to pay to experience them.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Solice Kirsk posted:

A diabetic coma is a small price to pay to experience them.

:hai:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Tempura Wizard posted:

While the first two seasons of Headlong were not unnerving (but very good), the most recent season, Running from COPS about the exploitation behind COPS and LivePD is absolutely chilling in its own way.

Be ready to be really pissed off though. Like, mad. It starts off with a cops producer unironically calling the host a "pinko" which I didn't think was a real word anymore outside of All in the Family repeats and it just keeps going down from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My sister and I just talked for a couple of hours.
Three topics came up during our discussion which I felt would be appropriate for this thread:

Capgras Delusion, a condition in which someone believes that their friends and family have been replaced by imposters.
Delusional Disorder, a condition in which someone is not necessarily schizophrenic, yet believes things a schizophrenic could.
Folie à Deux, a condition in which one or more people believe the same delusion.