Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I kind of view Scorn as a mature extension of Out of this World, another game that's ostensibly an action platformer with lovely platforming and action segments but it's all about the vibe of being trapped in a hostile alien world.

It at least had saner checkpoints...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Horror Fans we EATIN' this week:

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1582129468134473728?s=20&t=OSCP7zKDb2Ntysl89KaWjQ

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

I kind of view Scorn as a mature extension of Out of this World, another game that's ostensibly an action platformer with lovely platforming and action segments but it's all about the vibe of being trapped in a hostile alien world.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Oh hell yeah. RE4make and 8lage DLC??? Sign me the gently caress up

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

I'd disagree with that comparison. Out of this World was basically an interactive sci-fi action film - from the moment the game starts you're given so few moments where you're not being chased, shot at, or hunted, and the parts that do have platforming are mercifully short and just one tiny piece of the game (there's, what, the water caves and the beginning when you need to leap over the leeches?).

Hell there's a sequence in which you're essentially mashing every button on a console just to try to have something - anything - get you out of your predicament.

Clunky combat, however, is something I'd agree the games have in combat. The shield/shoot strategy was waaay overused in OotW.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

While I dont think they're particularly similar, Another World was the first thing I thought of when I started mashing alien buttons trying to figure out what they did.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pretty sure scorn put me in an unwinnable state with that bafflingly stupid tentacle remover thing. I’m pretty much at the point where I am starting to loving despise this game. Everything about it seems to hate the idea that the player might accidentally have some fun and experience anything but boredom and annoyance.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Looking to play a few during October, top 3 all time horror games?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Agent Escalus posted:

10 years after release, IMSCARED got an update that's equally surprising and significant!

Very nice to see small indie projects getting extra love and polish after so long! Especially a game like that, which had great scares but some clunky aspects. Time for a redux session!

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

Pretty sure scorn put me in an unwinnable state with that bafflingly stupid tentacle remover thing. I’m pretty much at the point where I am starting to loving despise this game. Everything about it seems to hate the idea that the player might accidentally have some fun and experience anything but boredom and annoyance.

I thought that too, I'd missed a health station behind you when you're looking at the second tentacle remover thing, it's really tucked away in a corner.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat.

I loaded my last save and it was at the beginning of the chapter. I think I am just done with it. Zero interest in replaying that. Really just kind of hit the point where this game doesn't feel worth my time anymore.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I have no real interest in Scorn bc I already played the original glistening brown world full of tunnels. That’s right I’m talking Clive Barker’s Jericho

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

calcio posted:

Looking to play a few during October, top 3 all time horror games?

Not all time but 3 of my faves that released in the past couple years, all on steam.

Mundaun
In Sound Mind
Au-Delà

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

I have no real interest in Scorn bc I already played the original glistening brown world full of tunnels. That’s right I’m talking Clive Barker’s Jericho

The levels that Scorn goes to rip off Geiger and Beksinski is honestly impressive though. Like, it really looks remarkable, as well as having top notch audio design and animation. I love looking at it. That got me all the way to the point that I quit (which I afaik is literally the end).

But now that I'm sitting back and reflecting on it. I think as a game, it might be literally one of the worst games I have ever played. It's aggressively unfun. I don't even know if I can blame incompetence. It almost feels like they set out to make a game that isn't enjoyable at all. If that was their goal. Congrats, they succeeded.

I think the closest thing to resembling fun I had in the 5 hours I played was doing edgy versions of children's sliding block puzzles. Everything else about the gameplay is irredeemable.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know if Darkwood is a top 3 game, but it's not one that gets talked about that often, and I definitely think it's one of the best horror games of all time if we're just going by pure grade spooks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wanted to like Darkwood but I couldn't really vibe with it. I keep restarting it lately but I always just get sort of bored.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Who’s Lila is my favorite this year and if you like imscared and other meta horror games don’t miss it, everything about it is a spoiler but also it’s a game you need to use community features and a side loading app to complete.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I haven't finished Who's Lila yet but I've gotten a few endings and it's intense. Absolutely incredible sense of dread, relentlessly oppressive atmosphere, it's miserable. I hate it. It is one of the best horror games I've played in years.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
How's the difficulty/checkpointing in Amnesia Rebirth? I know there's a safe mode of sorts, but unlike the one in SOMA, it sounds like it makes significant changes to the tone and level design that make it less of a horror game, which isn't really what I'm looking for.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Been a long time still I played it but I don't remember anything too hard or bad checkpoints. You're mostly either safe or just running away from stuff iirc.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

How's the difficulty/checkpointing in Amnesia Rebirth? I know there's a safe mode of sorts, but unlike the one in SOMA, it sounds like it makes significant changes to the tone and level design that make it less of a horror game, which isn't really what I'm looking for.

I don't know why they would even have a safe mode for it. It's really hard to die in Rebirth even playing normally. It leans way more towards becoming increasingly disorienting than outright fail states. I think I died a handful of times in my entire play through, and iirc the checkpoints aren't harsh or anything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm still the most excited for the FAITH game

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I played the Call of Cthulhu game from a few years ago and it basically placed itself in that top tier of horror indies by not committing itself too hard to any one thing. The RPG elements are there and they do sometimes make a difference. There are puzzles but they're not too hard. There are "hide from the one hit killer" sequences that are rudimentary and short, a few mundane sneaking levels and a single gunplay scene that is as simple as it gets. All of which is to say that the gameplay is above average and no one thing lasts long enough to try your patience or fall prey to its own simplicity.

Characters animations are beyond jank, otherwise visuals are decent enough. Narratively and writing-wise I will say it does more than what an innately risk-averse genre like Lovecraft homage typically allows. The characters are actually pretty engaging and there are twists you don't necessarily see coming. You can see the rocky development and cut corners here and there but they carry it fairly well. Absolutely worth checking out on whatever gamepass it's available through.

If nothing else the level art it just really hammers home how subtly Dishonored threaded gloomy coastal New England / cyclopic imagery into its fantasy universe. Plus there's the whaling connection.

I'd be interested in screenshots and maybe a tech demo of Scorn but when you're into horror games you really really need to do above the bare minimum with gameplay even if you're doing style over substance.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 18, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Basic Chunnel posted:

I played the Call of Cthulhu game from a few years ago and it basically placed itself in that top tier of horror indies by not committing itself too hard to any one thing. The RPG elements are there and they do sometimes make a difference. There are puzzles but they're not too hard. There are "hide from the one hit killer" sequences that are rudimentary and short, a few mundane sneaking levels and a single gunplay scene that is as simple as it gets. All of which is to say that the gameplay is above average and no one thing lasts long enough to try your patience or fall prey to its own simplicity.

Characters animations are beyond jank, otherwise visuals are decent enough. Narratively and writing-wise I will say it does more than what an innately risk-averse genre like Lovecraft homage typically allows. The characters are actually pretty engaging and there are twists you don't necessarily see coming. You can see the rocky development and cut corners here and there but they carry it fairly well. Absolutely worth checking out on whatever gamepass it's available through.

If nothing else the level art it just really hammers home how subtly Dishonored threaded gloomy coastal New England / cyclopic imagery into its fantasy universe. Plus there's the whaling connection.

played this for my October horror gaming last year. Definitely a case of an indie dev's reach exceeding its grasp, but still worth playing as long as you can accept that sort of jank.

however, if you're playing on PC, I recommend using a trainer to get through the stealth sections more easily. Most of them aren't too bad, but there's a particularly godawful one in a portrait gallery midway through, where no matter how closely I followed a walkthrough, I couldn't seem to avoid the monster except by dumb luck. That one probably would have driven me to give up on the game altogether had it not been for the trainer.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

hahahaha oh nooooo

https://twitter.com/SHNHorror/status/1582426296616857600?s=20&t=_ObIAQw6V30LoOe4W7NqNQ

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

They're gonna really expand the Wall Market section of Silent Hill 2.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Part 1 is just the regular world, we're not getting the spookier stuff til later

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The one silent hill that could actually use a remake is the original why butcher SH2. It would be like writing sequels to watchmen

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Just make it like other recent "let's take this ps1 game and turn it into three games" remakes, stretch the first act that takes place all in one location into a 20 hour game. Then just after you reach the end of Brookhaven the game comes to a climax and you fight Sephiroph

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Dusk golem doesn’t want to give anything away but is suggesting the possibility that silent hill 2 part 1 is the remake and part 2 is an all new sequel developed by shovelware manufacturer Bloober Team

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
god willing tomorrow will put all of us out of our misery one way or the other

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Noob Saibot posted:

Dusk golem doesn’t want to give anything away but is suggesting the possibility that silent hill 2 part 1 is the remake and part 2 is an all new sequel developed by shovelware manufacturer Bloober Team

A sequel to silent hill 2 would be hilarious. Where do you go from there? The good ending was the same as silent hill 1, so you just do silent hill 3-2?

Is Bloober team going to cut every ending except In Water out? Is James going to have to face his responsibility for putting horny nurses in every future SH game just because he was jacking it ten time a day? Is Angela going to make an appearance just to get assaulted again as a metaphor for the cycle of abuse or some tone deaf horseshit? Who knows!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Blooper Team SH2 will definitely argue Mary was the bad guy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CuddleCryptid posted:

A sequel to silent hill 2 would be hilarious. Where do you go from there?

It follows up on James' abduction and the aliens' subsequent takeover of Earth

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Silent hill 2-2 is just silent hill 2 again with all the side characters gone because it follows up on the ominous Maria ending, including smothering Maria with a pillow then suppressing it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Silent Hill 2 Part 1 is clearly a prequel showing James and Maria’s entirely pleasant, uneventful vacation to Toluca Lake.

There will still be several dozen irrelevant film references and the casual normalization of rape.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

Silent Hill 2 Part 1 is clearly a prequel showing James and Maria’s entirely pleasant, uneventful vacation to Toluca Lake.

There will still be several dozen irrelevant film references and the casual normalization of rape.

Maria wasn’t James wife

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Silent Hill 2 Part 2 will follow the In Water ending, and Bloober team will rename themselves to Blub Blub Team

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1582437733850836992?t=e76G3lcgqNZmwRoEWFjkaA&s=19

Good thread

Vv yuuuup

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The good ending to SH2 is James drowning in the lake.