Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You know what I like about this crafting system? It let me turn a laser rifle with the perk "does double damage if the target is at full health" into a rifle by attaching a stock, so now it works with my (higher) Rifleman perk but with no other changes to its function.

This gun owns BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Good boy!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kanish posted:

in the settlement builder mode is there any possible way to select things from the menu to build that doesnt also select an object you're looking at? because ugh....

Yeah that's basically the worst thing about the game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Frankenoodle posted:

You can tell him to go away from anywhere in the world and he'll end up in Sanctuary.

Right. But I don't do that based on past experience.

I've lost companions to the ether in Fallout 3. I couldn't find them in my home or their original locations. They just disappeared. I'm not taking chances this go around.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

When do attacks on your settlement begin? I'm level 11 and nothing yet.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The autistic radio DJ owns and is a creative change of pace from having another Wolfman Jack dude

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

xanif posted:

Has anyone figured out if you can equip already crafted mods on your weapons? I only get options to craft new ones even if I have a mod in my inventory.

Yes you can and I've explained this like 3 times now in the thread :v:

The option should switch from craft or make to just like install if you already have the mod. It has to be for the same type of weapon.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm reading all this like "who the gently caress listens to the radio in these games?"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Funky Valentine posted:

I feel like there was a missed opportunity in not making the DJ a baseball announcer.

There was a missed opportunity by not making him a morning zoo broadcaster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqgVmIx11HY

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
How the hell do you assign your settlers to do anything? I'm up to 14 in Sanctuary and they are all standing around picking their nose.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

anatomi posted:

When do attacks on your settlement begin? I'm level 11 and nothing yet.

From what I can gather in game, it's when they get big enough to have stuff to steal. So I'm assuming after you have nice trade routes going and are actually making money is when they'll start getting attacked.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

How the hell do you assign your settlers to do anything? I'm up to 14 in Sanctuary and they are all standing around picking their nose.

Go into build mode and look at a settler, you'll see a command option at the bottom. Then go look at crops/trade booth/whatever and assign them to it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How do you mark a house as "yours"? I don't appreciate traveling back to Sanctuary only to spot Preston Garvey just loving chilling inside my house taking a load off in one of my chairs. Did he help himself to the chest full of loot I keep in the bedroom?

This isn't even a random or newly-built house, mind you, this is my actual home from 200 years ago. It even has Shaun's loving Crib in the back.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Broken Cog posted:

I just found out that if you destroy both legs of a Deathclaw, it can't move anymore, like at all. It just awkwardly tries to pull itself up with its arms.

HA my favorite tactic is still good then! Now if only I could get that dart gun that did 5000 damage to legs from FO3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Hold V or whatever to go to workshop mode on your settlement. Then look at a person and press E to "Command". Then look at the thing you want them to work on, and press E again to assign them to work on that thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fun Times! posted:

Does anyone know where to find a melee weapon that isn't a tire iron or baton in the beginning of the game? I want a drat baseball bat.

Go south-southeast of Sanctuary and you'll come across Something Pond, there's a drainage pipe in there with named bandits. Kill them and in the back is a unique pipe wrench.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Mods please rename thread to "Fallout 4: Nuclear Slumlord Simulator 2015" TIA.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

anatomi posted:

There's a sledge at the Thicket Quarry or whatever the place is called. Right behind the water pump that Sully is trying to fix.

Ooh I missed that. Thanks.

^^ And that wrench. Thanks!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Go south-southeast of Sanctuary and you'll come across Something Pond, there's a drainage pipe in there with named bandits. Kill them and in the back is a unique pipe wrench.

If you beeline for Diamond City, which is like the second place the main quest sends you, there's a vendor there who sells all sorts of modifiable and pre-modified bats as well

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes you can and I've explained this like 3 times now in the thread :v:

The option should switch from craft or make to just like install if you already have the mod. It has to be for the same type of weapon.

Hmmm, I've never gotten that option even when I have mods in my inventory and working on the weapon type it's for. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I'll check when I get home. Thanks.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

LumberingTroll posted:

For the people having problems finding the crafting materials they need, when at a station and the item you want selected, hit "T" this will mark ever junk item in the game world with a magnifying glass icon next to its name, if it contains the components you are looking for, also, just because you have the required materials doesn't mean you meet the perk requirement, when looking at the desired project on the right, there will be pictures of the perks needed, if there is a padlock on any of them you cannot build that item yet.

Drop the stuff you want to salvage on the ground, then while in workshop mode use the scrap command, which is "R" then "E" by default when looking at the item you want to scrap.

How do you check to see what you tagged? I've got stuff highlighted for fiber optics but gently caress if I can remember what it was.

Also, the classical radio station owns because you can do this when you get in power armor.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gridlocked posted:

HA my favorite tactic is still good then! Now if only I could get that dart gun that did 5000 damage to legs from FO3.

You can get random modifiers on legendary weapons that has a 20% chance to do significant damage to the targets legs, no matter where you hit them. That's what I used on that Deathclaw.
It's called "Kneecapper".

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, how did you guys do the quest where you fix the underwater pipes? I was afraid to do it and skipped out on it because of the radiation buildup, but it sounds like something cool happens later if you do. Did you just burn through your radiation meds?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I just got my hands on a fully kitted out Laser Sniper Rifle dropped by some scrub bandit who wasn't even using it. This thing is incredible!

schemie
May 3, 2004

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Oh, how did you guys do the quest where you fix the underwater pipes? I was afraid to do it and skipped out on it because of the radiation buildup, but it sounds like something cool happens later if you do. Did you just burn through your radiation meds?

I just popped a rad-x, you have to swim to the valves and hit e. It's pretty quick if you swim right to them.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Your original vault suit has rad resistance. Chug a Rad-X and it's barely a problem.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I suppose there is a way to play this game that isn't walking around constantly drunk and with a literal ship cannon as your main weapon, but why would you?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Boogaleeboo posted:

I suppose there is a way to play this game that isn't walking around constantly drunk and with a literal ship cannon as your main weapon, but why would you?

Why wouldn't you?

Are the super mutants in the game pirates or something? I just had one shout "Avast matey!"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hazmat suit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Radiation is never really a problem. After a few hours you will have more than enough radaway and fixing the the radiation at the doctor is really cheap.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

holy poo poo, good choice since you have to annex a bunch of settlements

Kanish posted:

in the settlement builder mode is there any possible way to select things from the menu to build that doesnt also select an object you're looking at? because ugh....

On PS4 you can, idk about PC

PS4: X button selects a highlighted structure UNLESS you are building a new item. You use the dpad to navigate the menus and choose which item you are going to build. You don't have to press X to select the item, only to place it once you've selected it by highlighting it with the dpad. It's much more difficult to explain than it is to actually do.

The item should be floating in front of you and it should remove the option to select something that was already placed.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah, I'm going to try to get a refund on this. Until they clean up the UI and fix a lot of the gamebreaking poo poo I'm not sure i can have fun with it. I mean in the space of a couple of hours I found a quest NPC on an inaccessible roof, massive game slowdown so I had to restart and my character's arms turning invisble so I couldn't see menus or my rifle any more. I'm a nerd with time to kill sure, but I don't have /that/ much time.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Take a Rad-X. That drops your radiation intake down to 1 rad per second. Look for the pipes above water (they're obvious) and remember there they are. Swim over to them above water, and then dive down and follow the pipe until you see a valve. The bubbles clue wasn't useful for me at all, since their sprite didn't render on 2 of the 3 pipes. Go back and turn the pump on for a bullet-spongey surprise.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Why wouldn't you?

Are the super mutants in the game pirates or something? I just had one shout "Avast matey!"

Because I can be drunk in a barbarian outfit with a jaunty naval cap shooting people in the face with a giant naval cannon. I feel like that is the type of mental breakdown I would have after having the wife killed and my kid stolen. Just me and a 24 Pounder, crying and occasionally shooting something in the face.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Here's my guy with a ridiculous gun. Totally not a hipster I swear.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I need the item ID's for Old Faithful and Wastelander's Chest Piece, please.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MMD3 posted:

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out good weapons early on to upgrade in general... concerned I'm going to use too much adhesive and rare materials upgrading lovely guns that have hard to find ammo.

Avoid using nuclear materials, you need them for more important things than glow sights.

.38 guns are perfectly servicable and plentiful enough, ammo wise, to serve as fully auto weapons quite quickly. They do poo poo damage but volume of fire will prevail.

.45 pipe revolvers are mid range hitters but not great, good if you run out of .308 but not perfect.

The holy grail of early game guns is probably the hunting rifle, get a long barrel and stock on it ASAP and perhaps a scope though the ironsights are perfectly useable with practice. 308 ammo is rare but not insanely so, and it can do a lot of damage with a good receiver mod and is accurate as hell.

The double barrel shotgun is excellent in terms of ammo efficiency because you'll find a good amount for it and it's powerful.

10mm is the first proper gun you'll find and it's actually extremely powerful when upgraded, put a fully auto mod on it and a muzzle brake and it will be very accurate and powerful at close range, if a bit ammo hungry. It can also be upgraded into a solid plinker with power receivers and a reflex scope (might be worth using nuclear material for this if you have a few units of it, a proper reflex is significantly easier to aim with).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The way Power Armor looks/feels in FO4, you sort of understand why the Chinese saw a bunch of them in their territories and said "OK, gently caress this noise, send our nuclear bombers off."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Protons posted:

I need the item ID's for Old Faithful and Wastelander's Chest Piece, please.

You can find item ID's easily with console commands in game:

help "item name/part of item name here" 4

that will give you the item ID.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yeah, I'm going to try to get a refund on this. Until they clean up the UI and fix a lot of the gamebreaking poo poo I'm not sure i can have fun with it. I mean in the space of a couple of hours I found a quest NPC on an inaccessible roof, massive game slowdown so I had to restart and my character's arms turning invisble so I couldn't see menus or my rifle any more. I'm a nerd with time to kill sure, but I don't have /that/ much time.

You've been unlucky. I have about15 hours on my character and have not experienced anything gamebreaking at all. The only issue I have had was that one time it crashed when I was zoning from an interior to the commonwealth.

There has been a little slowdown once or twice, but so far it hasn't been anywhere near as noticeable or frequent than being in Novigrad while playing the Witcher 3, an open-world game with good graphics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is the area where the Charisma bobblehead is somewhere that's feasible to go at level 13? I want to grab Local Leader because apparently I actually do enjoy base building but I'm at 5 CHA right now and very protective of my perk points.

• Locked thread