Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

w00tazn posted:

Were you not running the Oculus SDK version of Beat Saber from steam?

I definitely go out of my way to make sure that SteamVR Home is not running what so ever any chance I can.
Any Oculus native games that I've bought on steam I have shortcutted specifically so that I can boot them from within Oculus Dash and not have Steam VR open.

Apparently not, didn't know that was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do you stream for a living or what

Yeah. Full time these days.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
vrcover.com came out with their samsung odyssey + replacement padding.
https://vrcover.com/product/samsung-odyssey-plus-replacement
Looks nice and thick. I ordered one and I'll post impressions when I get it.

Danith fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 31, 2019

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Skyarb posted:

God drat do I want those knuckles controllers!

They're neat, but I will say it's a bit of a PITA to manually remap for standard wand games. Hopefully they'll have lots of presets when they officially release.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Kazy posted:

They're neat, but I will say it's a bit of a PITA to manually remap for standard wand games. Hopefully they'll have lots of presets when they officially release.

Yeah I suspect tehy will implement a universal remapper tool or games for when developers don't have mapping included. No idea though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Superhot VR is the steam weekend sale $15. Lowest it’s ever been in the store, if my quick googling is right.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Superhot VR is the steam weekend sale $15. Lowest it’s ever been in the store, if my quick googling is right.

Cheapest Ever: $12.49 on November 19, 2018

https://www.cheapshark.com/search?q=SUPERHOT%20VR

Love CheapShark.

Also totally worth 15 bucks IMO. If you're really good at VR shooters, Its kind of short since you'll blast through it. But its fun as hell either way.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
It's a lazy wave shooter with a single gimmick. At best it's an overpriced gentle introduction to VR, even on sale.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ralith posted:

It's a lazy wave shooter with a single gimmick. At best it's an overpriced gentle introduction to VR, even on sale.
Yikes

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ralith posted:

Thats a bit harsh IMO.

Its more of what I'd call a "Puzzle shooter". First time through its super interesting. Replay value is basically zero but its a cool exp for 15 or less. I've paid more for worse games thats for sure.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Thats a bit harsh IMO.

Its more of what I'd call a "Puzzle shooter". First time through its super interesting. Replay value is basically zero but its a cool exp for 15 or less. I've paid more for worse games thats for sure.

It has some limited replay value in speedruns figuring out how much you can hack the nonpolished aspects of the game to pull off hilarious moves like throwing a shotgun you grabbed at the end of the last wave to where an enemy will spawn in the new wave and taking him out without doing anything.
I think the game would have a ton of value with a level editor, so many cool things could be done but sigh.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Just got a HP WMR headset and I've been using with my Dell XPS 9570 (i7 8750, 1050ti, 16gb ram) and the performance is outstanding. No real complaints, especially after playing 30 minutes of beat saber. Really excited to show this off to the parents who have obviously never tried VR.

When in Google Earth and close to the surface (like peering over a city from say 500~1000 feet up) my frames drop considerably. From SteamVR's menu I don't know how to decrease it's render resolution to help performance. Or should I look I'm the Oculus app?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ralith posted:

In terms of content most VR games are really lacking and are largely gimmick cash grabs. Multiplayer could solve this issue but most multiplayer VR games have tiny amount of players. Sprint Vector is completely dead at this point for example.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 2, 2019

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I, too, have a big pile of VR games and just play beat saber all the time. Maybe Rec Room if my friend wants to play something multiplayer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I still always come back to rec room, Pokerstars and iracing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

puberty worked me over posted:

In terms of content most VR games are really lacking and are largely gimmick cash grabs. Multiplayer could solve this issue but most multiplayer VR games have tiny amount of players. Sprint Vector is completely dead at this point for example.

Multiplayer is not going to do anything for VR. You need a sizeable and long-term sustainable playerbase for anything multiplayer, and you're just not going to find that in the VR Community because there aren't enough VR users overall to keep a reasonably-sized subset focused on one multiplayer game for any real length of time outside of PSVR. Realistically speaking, the only multiplayer VR game that's actually been sustainable is VRChat, and even then it's only because it's A: free, and B: has a desktop version.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Multiplayer is not going to do anything for VR. You need a sizeable and long-term sustainable playerbase for anything multiplayer, and you're just not going to find that in the VR Community because there aren't enough VR users overall to keep a reasonably-sized subset focused on one multiplayer game for any real length of time outside of PSVR. Realistically speaking, the only multiplayer VR game that's actually been sustainable is VRChat, and even then it's only because it's A: free, and B: has a desktop version.

That's... not true? Sure lots of multiplayer VR games are a bust, but there are plenty with healthy enough populations. I don't think there's room for a ton more right now, but the stuff that is there has been doing pretty well.

I actually think the social component is one of the strongest aspects to VR. The ability to interact with people that's almost on the level of interacting in real life is extremely powerful and a huge draw for a lot of people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

That's... not true? Sure lots of multiplayer VR games are a bust, but there are plenty with healthy enough populations. I don't think there's room for a ton more right now, but the stuff that is there has been doing pretty well.

I actually think the social component is one of the strongest aspects to VR. The ability to interact with people that's almost on the level of interacting in real life is extremely powerful and a huge draw for a lot of people.

Echo Arena's greatest selling point is that it's free and came out early enough to stand out (while of course being very well made).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Echo Arena's greatest selling point is that it's free and came out early enough to stand out (while of course being very well made).

There's also a large Onward community, Pavlov community, Contractors is growing, Rec Room is big and has a lot of people playing a bunch of different modes, I know the Pokerstars VR thing that came out recently seems to be getting a lot of steam, etc. There's absolutely room for multiplayer and it's a big part of why people like VR.

If you're arguing from the viewpoint that you don't think it's really a good move for companies to break into VR through multiplayer games, yeah, I'd largely agree, but I also think trying to dev for VR right now is horrible anyway, single player or multiplayer.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shovels are now a throwing weapon in H3VR. Thanks, Far Cry 5.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pavlov has a very active online user base. I've never had a problem finding a server to play on and people usually join one I've created within about 5 minutes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Pavlov has a very active online user base. I've never had a problem finding a server to play on and people usually join one I've created within about 5 minutes.

If you're in the US. I haven't been able to get in on a local match in Australia.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're in the US. I haven't been able to get in on a local match in Australia.

I live in Australia too, the NA servers are tolerable.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

You must not have bought Skyrim VR or Fallout 4 VR. Also just fine to most gamers I've spoken with is a pretty consistent 60 FPS on medium->high settings.

Fenom posted:

You may not be able to crank supersampling or go to ultra graphics on literally like 2 games but it works amazing on everything else.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lemming posted:

There's also a large Onward community, Pavlov community, Contractors is growing, Rec Room is big and has a lot of people playing a bunch of different modes, I know the Pokerstars VR thing that came out recently seems to be getting a lot of steam, etc. There's absolutely room for multiplayer and it's a big part of why people like VR.

If you're arguing from the viewpoint that you don't think it's really a good move for companies to break into VR through multiplayer games, yeah, I'd largely agree, but I also think trying to dev for VR right now is horrible anyway, single player or multiplayer.

According to VRLFG besides those, the only games that are supported is Arizona Sunshine, Elven Assassin, Serious Same Last Hope, Creed, and Zero Caliber (probably most people playing single). There are enough people also for Bridge Crew. War Dust is a 32 v 32 game and has 35 players. Since there are multiple games going at once at best you get about 10 humans on each side. War Dust is really solid but already impossible to fill a match. Standout is already down to 14 people as of this posting.

I literally have never been able to play a match in Ripcoil in the years I've had a Rift.

Multiplayer is a serious issue right now even on PSVR. As an example a major multiplayer game just shut down, (Starblood Arena, and maybe Rigs as well). Many people have VR HMD but don't use them often, that combined that no one wants to wait for matches in an HMD makes multiplayer really hard to support.

Hopefully, the Quest fixes this with a hundred thousand daily active users that we can use to fill up games. Hell, even a few thousand users would about double the userbase. FYI there are 7675 players online with a 1/3 in Beatsaber. If you look at single player only then Beatsaber is 1/2 the VR community right now.

Oh FYI there is a sequel to Holopoint released today and it's got 3 people that played it today. It was one of the most popular titles at Vive launch. Unfortunately, PCVR seems to be turning into the equivalent of Cross Fit where a .1% of people use it weekly and they think they are normal, but everyone else ignores it.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 2, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lemming posted:

This is a huge piece for many people. I just had a discussion about this in Pokerstars VR last night. Everyone at the table agreed that the poker aspect was fun, but what they really enjoyed was sitting down and talking to people for a few minutes or a few hours.

It was spurred on by someone at the table who was a beta tester for the game explaining how certain things in the game came to be and why things are the way they are. We all just listened to her expound on the gritty and boring details of game testing but it was interesting because we were all there for essentially the same reason, to play cards with people.

The aspect of actually sitting down and playing a game with other people as you would in real life can’t be overstated.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The aspect of actually sitting down and playing a game with other people as you would in real life can’t be overstated.

Yes VR when we get higher res + foveated rendering and eye tracking is going to be about ~40% as good as being there which will completely destroy real estate/travel. At OC5 Zuckerberg said what they were fighting against was extreme real estate prices in the most expensive markets and I think AR/VR can def. get there in the next few years.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Yes VR when we get higher res + foveated rendering and eye tracking is going to be about ~40% as good as being there which will completely destroy real estate/travel. At OC5 Zuckerberg said what they were fighting against was extreme real estate prices in the most expensive markets and I think AR/VR can def. get there in the next few years.

You know how when you see a kid who's grown a bunch you're like "wow you got a lot bigger" and it was annoying when you were a kid because yeah of course I'm growing I'm a kid, but when you're older you realize you're saying it because your mind has this mental image of that person and when you haven't seen them for a while there's a mismatch between what you see and that image, so it like, still surprises you, so you say that as like a reaction?

My absolute favorite VR anecdote (which I'm sure I've told before so forgive me) is that I met one of the devs in Echo Arena, talked and played with him a bunch, and got to know him pretty well. I knew he was tall like 6'5" or something. When I met him in real life I was like "what the gently caress how are you so tall" because in EA the robots are all like 5'8" or something, they're pretty short, and my brain thought I knew him and he was much taller than I remembered him being. It was loving weird and it didn't really click why it was strange until I realized that the interactions we had felt so natural that in my mind he was a slightly short robot. It doesn't matter how much you think it's fake, your brain just totally accepts what's going on.

VR is gonna be nuts

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
What are the most popular multiplayer VR titles?

I know pavlov seems to do well, Onward has a much smaller player count comparatively. Obviously free things like pokerstars or vr chat seem to do well. What else is there (Not oculus exclusive games mostly, since i don't bother with revive)

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Skyarb posted:

What are the most popular multiplayer VR titles?

I know pavlov seems to do well, Onward has a much smaller player count comparatively. Obviously free things like pokerstars or vr chat seem to do well. What else is there (Not oculus exclusive games mostly, since i don't bother with revive)

http://vrlfg.net/ uncheck Show Single-player games

Concurrent players now (Does not include Oculus, people with Steam tracking off):
348 Pavlov VR
301 Arizona Sunshine
274 Rec Room
215 Elven Assassin
195 Onward
127 Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
075 Smashbox Arena
064 Bigscreen Beta
060 Creed: Rise to Glory
050 PokerStars VR
049 Contractors
045 Zero Caliber VR
031 Raw Data
026 Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter
026 WAR DUST | 32 vs 32 Battles
023 OrbusVR
021 QuiVr
021 Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE
021 RealFlight 8
020 Star Trek™: Bridge Crew

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 2, 2019

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

http://vrlfg.net/ uncheck Show Single-player games

Concurrent players now (Does not include Oculus, people with Steam tracking off):

Also keep in mind that there is no distinquising between someone playing single and multiplayer while in those games. It's apparently very hard to find a match in creed even though it has 50+ people because almost no one is looking for a match at a given time (just playing single player). The same thing can be true for Serious Sam (I've never found someone to play multi with).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Stick100 posted:

Many people have VR HMD but don't use them often, that combined that no one wants to wait for matches in an HMD makes multiplayer really hard to support.
Steam needs a way to matchmake for a game while not being in it.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I've always thought steam needed a sort of simple offline matchmaking where you can pick a list of games you want to play and post your usual availability. Based on those factors steam gives you a list of people who want to play the same thing at the same times so you can message those people and plan a gaming night. Steam could also give you game purchase suggestions not only based on tags but also based on a the amount of people also looking to play at the same time as you are available.

Seems beneficial to any game not just VR.

I'm hoping in a decade or two we'll have such things as VR MMOs with raid/event schedules so everyone will have a reason to log on at a set time and can plan around it to get their VR setup ready in advance.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 2, 2019

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
It's worth also considering multiplayer games that support VR but don't require it.

Elite Dangerous is amazing
IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad
DCS and X-Plane 11
Project Cars 2
The Forest (I can't vouch for this one, however)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Iracing always has thousands of people online but not all of them are in VR

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I tried x-plane yesteday and being able to key in poo poo in the cockpit with hands is great, but holy moly the virtual yoke doesn't feel good at all. It works well, but it's just... bad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah virtual sticks never work well in my experience. You need the resistance and auto-centering of a real stick, either a HOTAS, or hell, even a game pad works better

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Seems like there's a pretty common problem with Rift where one of headphones will start cutting out intermittently or sometimes cut out altogether. Happened to me recently and I was really afraid it was going to be unfixable given the limited length of the warranty. However apparently it's due to a cable running through the back of the headband which can get damaged or disconnected through use, and you can repair the fault by running a bit of wire around the back of the headband to replace it - you just have to unscrew the headphones and connect both ends to the bottom pins before screwing the headphones back on.
Took me a couple of hours of tearing apart old cabling to find a suitable wire (hint: lovely earbud headphone cables are too poo poo to work) but once I had, the actual fix was quick as hell.
Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else ever encounters the issue.

Songbearer posted:

Blade and Sorcery beta got updated so your enemies have all-new combat animations, parry prediction is way better and, even cooler, enemies can now dodge and try to stay out of range of your weapons. They also flinch and react to locational damage a lot more realistically, they'll grab their legs if you give them a solid crack in the shins and slashing them will cause them to stagger. Fighting enemies feels a lot more dynamic and it can really make you break a sweat if you forego slow motion. Highly recommend trying it out!
Nice. I am inches away from finally finishing Mage's Tale (just have to summon the will to get through a particularly annoying wave battle) and after that I'm definitely going to pick up B&S. Psyched.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah virtual sticks never work well in my experience. You need the resistance and auto-centering of a real stick, either a HOTAS, or hell, even a game pad works better

i mean, let's be real, those haptic feedback touchpads weren't ever great and only really held things back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Odd Mutant posted:

i mean, let's be real, those haptic feedback touchpads weren't ever great and only really held things back

There's a reason why the Knuckles have thumbsticks, and it's not just controller parity.