Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Cloacamazing! posted:

"Where's the real vegetable flavor?"

And then the standing guy jumps on the table and makes a trumpet sound.

LMAO I was thinking of the exact same post.

I’m also reminded of the Reddit post where a guy went on a date, ordered a burger without tomatoes, got tomatoes, couldn’t bring himself to just remove it (the juice already got into the burger) or tell the waiter that the order was messed up. So he just didn’t eat until his date noticed, then tried to tell her he wasn’t hungry, and then she realized what had happened and needless to say that date ended quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Heliotrope posted:

LMAO I was thinking of the exact same post.

I’m also reminded of the Reddit post where a guy went on a date, ordered a burger without tomatoes, got tomatoes, couldn’t bring himself to just remove it (the juice already got into the burger) or tell the waiter that the order was messed up. So he just didn’t eat until his date noticed, then tried to tell her he wasn’t hungry, and then she realized what had happened and needless to say that date ended quickly.

Or maybe it's the legendary Magician Restaurant!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I don't get it. Isn't the fun of writing a character getting to be different from yourself?

All my little scrunglies will have something I find interesting about them, some ability I wish I had, or a shared flaw, but they also need to have variety or it's just not fun to write them.

One of my favorite characters I've ever had is diametrically opposed to me on near every axis, a rich bitch vampire that abso-loving- lutely took cryptobros for all they were worth before moving on to funding AI poo poo. He's fascinating to me because he's actually only really good at his business poo poo because he's only really as destructive as he is because he is still very human- you can hypnotize one or two marks personally to give you all their money, but you have to understand people to be a true grifter. That dissonance makes him fun to write.

Look, I just wanted to talk about my objectively bad imaginary man. He's the worst.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I walked out on the Manhattan Transfer farewell tour because it was awful.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

DicktheCat posted:

I don't get it. Isn't the fun of writing a character getting to be different from yourself?

All my little scrunglies will have something I find interesting about them, some ability I wish I had, or a shared flaw, but they also need to have variety or it's just not fun to write them.

One of my favorite characters I've ever had is diametrically opposed to me on near every axis, a rich bitch vampire that abso-loving- lutely took cryptobros for all they were worth before moving on to funding AI poo poo. He's fascinating to me because he's actually only really good at his business poo poo because he's only really as destructive as he is because he is still very human- you can hypnotize one or two marks personally to give you all their money, but you have to understand people to be a true grifter. That dissonance makes him fun to write.

Look, I just wanted to talk about my objectively bad imaginary man. He's the worst.

Where can I read more about your objectively bad imaginary man?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

yeah actually they will posted:

a friend pointed out that the dude in the bg in panel 2 is just standing up

Oh my loving god.

Still! I have... Good? News? I have witnessed a worse piece of anti-art than Legacy. I watched a stream of the 'game' Silent Hill Ascension and - and I find it hard to believe I am writing these words - the story, pacing, characterisation are WORSE than Mookie's stuff.

It's a sight to behold.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

yeah actually they will posted:

a friend pointed out that the dude in the bg in panel 2 is just standing up

Nah, it looks like it because the side of the guy's torso is shaded similarly to the log seating they are using, so it creates the illusion of it being a cape or something flowing to the ground. If you look at it as part of the torso you can see him sitting.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Silent Hill Ascension's script is AI generated, which is why it is incoherent and often non-English.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Tesseraction posted:

Silent Hill Ascension's script is AI generated, which is why it is incoherent and often non-English.

It just goes to show how poor these AI generation things are that MOOKIE is able to make something better than it.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Tesseraction posted:

Um, Noooo.

https://www.ign.com/articles/silent-hill-ascension-developer-insists-it-was-written-by-real-people-amid-ai-accusations

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Samovar posted:

Oh my loving god.

Still! I have... Good? News? I have witnessed a worse piece of anti-art than Legacy. I watched a stream of the 'game' Silent Hill Ascension and - and I find it hard to believe I am writing these words - the story, pacing, characterisation are WORSE than Mookie's stuff.

It's a sight to behold.

Well that can't be true, I googled it and was instantly informed that it is thrilling. I should charge into it without doing any more research!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Haha is his whole thought process with food "meat yucky veggies yummy"???

No ethical or sustainability concerns, just something something biological determinism and "I like veggies IRL so my main characters also do"?

I'd have far more respect for him if he was being self righteous over it because at least that means he put thought into it beyond yucky versus yummy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sorry but I do not believe the ceo tweeting "noooo our dogshit writing was NOT AI" as he previously had bragged about upcoming works using AI and this reads like arse-covering after the fact.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If he's telling the truth they should take a long hard look at the process that created writing dogshit enough for people to accuse them of using AI.

But like, I don't think he is telling the truth because a bunch of those scenes people are sharing are really reminiscent of the fever dream poo poo you get from AI Dungeon and other such things.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

To be fair I could absolutely believe that they are aping Silent Hill 2's weird-rear end characters with Ascension - in SH2 the people you come across are generally broken people who look like they are barely able to keep up a mask of being normal people, the berry gathering dude could fit right in there. I find it more likely that the fault of Ascension is that it's being soullessly derivative rather than that it's AI (though I suppose I couldn't rule that out either).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Soullessness is basically the issue with both this comic and SH:A. And in the spirit of this thread I wasn't making a pun about jazz and soul.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Tesseraction posted:

Sorry but I do not believe the ceo tweeting "noooo our dogshit writing was NOT AI" as he previously had bragged about upcoming works using AI and this reads like arse-covering after the fact.

Agreed, it reminds me of the "Lord of Ring: Gollum" apology. What incentive would there be to be truthful about using AI in that situation?

Samovar posted:

It just goes to show how poor these AI generation things are that MOOKIE is able to make something better than it.

I think it comes down to keeping things on track. The berry-man's inclusion doesn't seem to have any reasoning behind its inclusion, so it sticks out like a sore thumb. Everything in Mookie's works is Mookie telling a thinly veiled wish fulfillment fantasy story, so everything he writes is dreadfully consistent.

Dammerung fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 30, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I caught a bit of Voidburger streaming it for laughs and one of the very first thing it shows is this kid who's coded to be neurodivergent in the most stereotypically offensive way possible: Loves trains, can't handle loud noises, rocks himself back and forth while hitting himself.

And then we have Snout, who is somehow an even worse and more offensive display of ableism lol.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Maple Leaf posted:

Where can I read more about your objectively bad imaginary man?

I've actually not uploaded much of him outside of a Google docs I've been keeping a few little vignettes in. I would have to move it to an account that has nothing to do with my irl to show, but don't mind if you're really interested.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

YF-23 posted:

Nah, it looks like it because the side of the guy's torso is shaded similarly to the log seating they are using, so it creates the illusion of it being a cape or something flowing to the ground. If you look at it as part of the torso you can see him sitting.

I think that's supposed to be the back of his chair.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dammerung posted:

I think it comes down to keeping things on track. The berry-man's inclusion doesn't seem to have any reasoning behind its inclusion, so it sticks out like a sore thumb. Everything in Mookie's works is Mookie telling a thinly veiled wish fulfillment fantasy story, so everything he writes is dreadfully consistent.
Excuse me. It has plenty of reasoning. Didn't you see the blatant internet handle/username attached to the character? That's one of those opportunities for people who bought he premium edition to have their customized character appear on-screen. Carefully designed so the character has no overall relevance to the plot and thus no reason to stick around after the cameo.

And he looks unremarkable because they didn't give these people anything interesting looking to use to customize their characters.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Roast Beef are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of meat special with extra meat?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think that's supposed to be the back of his chair.

The chairs are log stumps with no backs, you can see one right behind him.

I also think it is supposed to be his torso bent over, but it's like one of those optical illusions that I just can't make myself see. No matter how hard I try, even with the red lines, it looks to me like he's standing up straight and wearing a cape.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Your clothing is so poorly conveyed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Looking more at it, it's because it doesn't line up with the shoulders correctly. The way it's drawn it doesn't make any sense for it to be his torso, unless his shoulders are where his collarbone should be. Plus the shading implies a concave surface - but then again we know not to trust mookie's shading.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

YF-23 posted:

Your clothing is so poorly conveyed.

It's an impressively ambiguous figure, but also definitely wasn't intended as such.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

YF-23 posted:

I think he forgot what part was what and shaded it like it was a chair.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

I think he forgot what part was what and shaded it like it was a chair.

Understandable, it's such a BUSY image,

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

New Legacy sure is action packed

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This was supposed to be about music right

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I don't know what to say about this one, every panel feels pure Deegan.

edit: beat posting cartoon so I will say something, it's like he's trying to make every panel an exciting twist. Hence the pure Deegan-ness.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 1, 2023

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

as a vegetarian i would not eat meat that was magically transmutated into plants because at the end of the day you still killed an animal

like how is that "a vegetarian option wherever you go"

what is going on in that brain

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like that everyone called it and the vegetarian has no problems with the animals who were butchered and killed for his meal.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Amazing that it was just as incredibly loving stupid as everyone was predicting.

"This way you'll have a vegetarian option wherever you go" motherfucker majority plant consumption is generally the rule rather than the exception across most cultures so unless you go to the land of obligate carnivores completely unprepared then you're good!

He really does think being vegetarian makes you a unique Super Speshal Goodboy, doesn't he?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I know others have said it but "vegetarian on moral grounds but with the killing" is so Mookie.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'll admit, that is a new and different face in the last couple of panels.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Does he think non vegetarians can only taste meat or something

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i cannot believe this comic is still going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

My favourite part of this sequence is that potion makes perfect sense for orcs and I doubt that's ever going to be brought up.