Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

Wrong FF, mate.

Even when we aren't discussing XIII it rears its ugly head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zero Star posted:

X-2 Question: do Creature Creator monsters stay when I start a New Game+?

They carry over, but while they start over at level 1 any stat boost they got through items stick.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kiggles posted:

But Pharros demonstrates the problem well. It's basically just flights of stairs. If you stop for even moment the structure is comprised of nothing but identical copy&pasted layers of stacked pillars. Virtually dungeon in the game is like this, whether the copy&pasting is lateral or vertical, there is nothing interesting about the dungeon designs. Yeah, Pharros was kinda cool, as are a lot of areas at first blush, but once you start getting into the dungeons it's pretty much the same crap stretched way too far. There are rarely any puzzles, and even fewer interesting puzzles. The few set pieces that help make any of the areas carry any degree of lore or novelty tend to be shallow at best, or quickly forgotten at worst.

Uh, Pharos was pretty loaded with puzzles. The first part had you hunting black orbs to feed to pillars to unlock the first boss. It had areas where you had to select one of your abilities to lock out as you progressed. It had the system where you had to find specific enemies to kill to create glowing bridges. Then they mixed it up and had two different types of enemies to create different types of bridges, but one would cancel out the other one, so you had to complete one set and then the other set while avoiding the appropriate enemies. It had a fuckton of hidden passages and pathways. It had color-coded teleporter mazes where you had to work out riddles to find the way forward. When you consider how many puzzles most FF dungeons have (0 or 1), it was a pretty complex and varied dungeon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DeadBonesBrook posted:

The crazy thing is, people went through the debug menu of FF8 and discovered Eden's original name was....BARTANDALUS!!!

FF13 = Somehow managing to retroactively ruin the series.

Woah really? That's actually kinda neat. Like introducing a new 0 context summon and then making it a character 10 years later.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Bart was the weird priest/king right? Why did he want to kill the final fantasiers?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Bart was the weird priest/king right? Why did he want to kill the final fantasiers?

He didn't. He wanted them to kill Orphan so Cocoon would fall to earth.

And then everyone would die.

And this would attract Etro's attention and she would come back to the fal'cie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

All the Fal'cie were basically robots, forced to keep doing their jobs over and over for eternity while God was MIA. He exploited a loophole that let him set up a situation where a whole loving lot of people would die in an attempt to basically force God to pay attention to the world again.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Calaveron posted:

I'm playing FFX and I'm at Home at the part where you have to rescue Yuna and Tidus finds out what happens to summoners and are YOU loving SERIOUS THERE IS A SOUND CLIP GOING ON AND ON AND ON AND ON OVER AND OVER AND OVER of somebody saying what appears to be "AN ANNOYING CHANT"?

Either that or "I'm annoying, huh?", both fit well.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So the English translation project for FF Type-0 was supposed to finish sometime in August this year, but the lead guy announced yesterday that they'd moved the schedule way up and he would be releasing it sometime last night or today. I've been refreshing the thread every 30 minutes or so since I woke up, and I'll post a link in here once they've uploaded it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well, that's a nice surprise!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I've got to be on a flight tomorrow. It'd be nice to have that to play on the way. I've played Type-0 before but I'm really curious about the translation.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Verranicus posted:

So the English translation project for FF Type-0 was supposed to finish sometime in August this year, but the lead guy announced yesterday that they'd moved the schedule way up and he would be releasing it sometime last night or today. I've been refreshing the thread every 30 minutes or so since I woke up, and I'll post a link in here once they've uploaded it.

Do it man!!!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh man, that IS a nice surprise.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Oh poo poo, I have NO IDEA where my PSP is.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rei_ posted:

Oh poo poo, I have NO IDEA where my PSP is.

PPSSPP emulator supposedly runs the translated/merged ISO file perfectly if you can rip it from your UMD.

Edit: From the guy releasing the translation: "Yeah, that automatic patcher takes time, specially because I'm doing it so it will work with any valid ISO, so people won't get confused. I'm still planing to release it today. I should have plenty enough time for everything."

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 8, 2014

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I will not sleep today. :stare:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Verranicus posted:

What is FF Type-0?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

BottledBodhisvata posted:

What is FF Type-0?

A PSP game that never came out in the West. Very solid game all around with a Crisis Core-ish battle system.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Type-0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

What is FF Type-0?
Hm.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I have no idea how to do all this homebrew fan-translation poo poo. :( Dammit Square, just do a Vita port. 3DS/Vita, if you must.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

BreakAtmo posted:

I have no idea how to do all this homebrew fan-translation poo poo. :( Dammit Square, just do a Vita port. 3DS/Vita, if you must.

Step 1. Rip the image file from the UMD or get it somewhere else.

Step 2. Wait for the translation to be released.

Step 3. Put it on your PSP or play it with an emulator.

Doesn't seem complicated to me.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It'd be great if they released it but that boat sailed a long time ago. Fan translation or nothing for the foreseeable future.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Step 1. Rip the image file from the UMD or get it somewhere else.

Step 2. Wait for the translation to be released.

Step 3. Put it on your PSP or play it with an emulator.

Doesn't seem complicated to me.

Well, I don't have a PSP or the game, for starters. I admit an emulator on PC slipped my mind, but yeah. I'd still want a proper Vita port anyway, for multiple reasons.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

BreakAtmo posted:

Well, I don't have a PSP or the game, for starters. I admit an emulator on PC slipped my mind, but yeah. I'd still want a proper Vita port anyway, for multiple reasons.

It's still a possibility, with them hinting at stuff here and there, but at this point I think they're putting all of their chips onto FF Agito rather than doing a port of Type-0 so don't count on it.

Edit: Unrelated, but someone posted a link to the demo of Type-0, and apparently if you complete it and import data to the full game you unlock special costumes or something. http://wdl.square-enix.com/fabula/ff_reishiki/trial/ffreishiki_zeroshiki.zip

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 8, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is the gameplay Kingdom Hearts esque or more like Crisis Core?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tae posted:

A bit of both? There's much less use of menus in comparison to Crisis Core at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Much close to Crisis Core than KH. It's built off the same engine.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Edit: From the guy releasing the translation: "Yeah, that automatic patcher takes time, specially because I'm doing it so it will work with any valid ISO, so people won't get confused. I'm still planing to release it today. I should have plenty enough time for everything."

I hope he understands how many people are waiting and watching intently! Never thought I'd have another PSP game worth my time.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Patch is out!

http://www.skybladecloud.net/we-have-arrived/

Apparently the website is being hammered pretty hard right now. Just keep refreshing.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Direct link to the patch on Mega: https://mega.co.nz/#!pwp3ARQR!8WCIyHbNd1nF1EdfXwtsP4SSpPN9JkeB5Az519-zpCs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2.04 GB? Jesus, I guess it's a lot of asset replacement

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I believe they had to replace the FMVs to subtitle them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

I believe they had to replace the FMVs to subtitle them.

Makes sense. Good to see them putting the effort in.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I wonder what happened to move up a release date a whole 2 months?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You can play patched ISOs on Vita but it's not easy or reliable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

So I wonder what happened to move up a release date a whole 2 months?

Clearly Type-0 Vita is going to be announced at E3 tomorrow.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ImpAtom posted:

Clearly Type-0 Vita is going to be announced at E3 tomorrow.

I know you were being sarcastic, but if it were true and they got wind of that, it would be a good reason to bump the release schedule. But very probably not what happened, yeah.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

But is Type 0 actually a good game? What did Japan think of it?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Dunno about general gamer reception, but here's what some critics thought:

Wikipedia posted:

The game was awarded a near-perfect score of 39 out 40 by Famitsu, praising the story, multiplayer and the smooth experience. The game also received a positive review from Dengeki magazine, where four reviewers gave it 90, 90, 95, and 90, each one out of 100, averaging out to 91.25 out of 100. PlayStation LifeStyle's Heath Hindman gave the game a score of 8/10 calling it "A hell of a game" with praise directed towards the game's music, combat, and story. RPG Site's Erren Van Duine was very positive in an import review of the game, complementing its old-school atmosphere and careful handling of the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos, general gameplay and presentation, comparing it favourably with console titles in the series.

Also, RPG Site's score was 9/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Volt Catfish posted:

It's basically been considered the best Final Fantasy game to come out since the PS2 era, as far as I know.

For any goons using PPSSPP to play, I've had the most luck using the 9.7.2 builds of it. There's no way to get rid of the gray shadows, but the game runs silky smooth and looks great.