Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

eyebeem posted:

This was in one of the shittiest parts of southern California. They aren't trying to be funny.

10 points to whoever guesses closest to the poo poo hole city I found myself in yesterday.

Is Modesto considered southern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

eyebeem posted:

Ding! Lake Elsinore.

Gross.

is that, uhh, the Lakeside HS parking lot?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I loving love the Nissan cube, it's so dorky. Can you imagine coming to look at buying a house and when you get there the neighbors have a Multipla and a Cube?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

wayfinder posted:

You overseas people are lucky you apparently don't have Fiat Multiplas in your otherwise barbaric wasteland, that an Aztek or a Prius would even be a contender for worst looking car.

The thing is though, the Multipla is basically like a Mini in terms of design which is laughable when you think about it. Both cars were designed for the purpose of hauling as many people as possible in the smallest possible space. The Multipla seats 8 people in a body that's shorter than the car it was actually based upon which was a 4/5 seater and yet doesn't feel cramped inside when you get in one due to all the glass.

I feel that cars that are designed for a very particular purpose are exempt from 'worst looking car' competitions because they were never trying to be good looking to begin with. Aztek, PT and Prius weren't limited design wise by needing a particular seating layout and thusly some fucker thought that the designs for those cars were fantastic. The Multipla exists purely to move 8 people around, the Aztek, PT Cruiser and Prius were all designed to look good. Think about that, this is each manufacturer's attempt at making great looking cars... And that's why the Multipla doesn't count.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

88h88 posted:

The thing is though, the Multipla is basically like a Mini in terms of design which is laughable when you think about it. Both cars were designed for the purpose of hauling as many people as possible in the smallest possible space. The Multipla seats 8 people in a body that's shorter than the car it was actually based upon which was a 4/5 seater and yet doesn't feel cramped inside when you get in one due to all the glass.

I feel that cars that are designed for a very particular purpose are exempt from 'worst looking car' competitions because they were never trying to be good looking to begin with. Aztek, PT and Prius weren't limited design wise by needing a particular seating layout and thusly some fucker thought that the designs for those cars were fantastic. The Multipla exists purely to move 8 people around, the Aztek, PT Cruiser and Prius were all designed to look good. Think about that, this is each manufacturer's attempt at making great looking cars... And that's why the Multipla doesn't count.

Agreed, the Multipla owns. It was never designed to be a great looking car, just one with a specific function in mind.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

D C posted:

is that, uhh, the Lakeside HS parking lot?

Yes

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

8 people? I've never seen one with trunk seats, there aren't even rails to fit seats to. Not saying it doesn't exist I've just never seen it. 6 as 3+3 yes, and all the rear seats come out in about 30 seconds (they're heavy bastards) leaving you with a van.

When I take the family camping I take out the middle seat in each row and put the heavy poo poo (fridge, tent) in the middle of the car then pack the back to the roof.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

6. Brain dumb.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Remember when Porsche were famous for their sleek lines?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
dammit

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Shrapnig posted:

See also the new Civic's awful tail lights.

I thought they were a little over-styled at first but I'm coming around. Those tail lights make the back of the car look really cool and space-craft-y at night.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

Remember when Porsche were famous for their sleek lines?

To be fair, the Boxster has always been ugly as gently caress and never really fit into Porsche's aesthetic. It's always felt like it's built for yuppies that want something sporty that doesn't offend their cargo shorts and polo sensibilities.

Yeah Porsche today isn't the same Porsche of 30 years ago, but neither is any other manufacturer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

e: fucksakes don't know what happened there. To compensate:

And yes, it's an auto.

Maybe it's the angle but I really like this.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
I don't know what you guys are smoking but that Porsche looks fine to me. Porsche design has basically been following the same playbook for decades, but as far as that goes this looks like standard Porsche.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xzzy posted:

Yeah Porsche today isn't the same Porsche of 30 years ago, but neither is any other manufacturer.

I take issue with this comment; GM of today is just as incompetent as GM of 1986.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Jared592 posted:

I don't know what you guys are smoking but that Porsche looks fine to me. Porsche design has basically been following the same playbook for decades, but as far as that goes this looks like standard Porsche.

It is very trendy to bash Porsche with this "Subaru" engine. This sort of thing happens with any kind of change to Porsche. The price of slow iteration, I guess?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

88h88 posted:

The Aztek, PT Cruiser and Prius were all designed to look good.

The Aztek was supposed to be a camper. But either nobody bought that option or GM said gently caress it and sold it as is.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 16, 2016

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea he does and I asked about it and he wanted 12k (AI price). Totally worth it cause its stock as stock gets. That was a bunch of years ago though.

Yeah, that's not current. At one point I would have sold it for 12K but today I think it could pull north of $25,000, and I wouldn't let it go for less than $30,000. They're gaining in value at a stupid rate.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Preoptopus posted:

The Aztek was supposed to be a camper. But either nobody bought that option or GM said gently caress it and sold it as is.

I feel like I've got CO poisoning from just looking at that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But Colorado is actually a nice place?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

xzzy posted:

But Colorado is actually a nice place?

Colorado poisoning :2bong:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Preoptopus posted:

The Aztek concept was actually pretty cool

Then they green lit it, but said build it on the mini van platform with a shorter wheelbase which led to the massive overhangs and the rest is history.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

88h88 posted:

I agree with you 100% but have to say that the first prius was styled largely by aerodynamic concerns which then became the trendy look for hybrids everywhere.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Maybe it's the angle but I really like this.

Seek help.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

D C posted:

The Aztek concept was actually pretty cool

Then they green lit it, but said build it on the mini van platform with a shorter wheelbase which led to the massive overhangs and the rest is history.

That is still ugly as poo poo

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Not even that innovative. International Harvester did the whole "becomes a tent" decades earlier.

Similarly, the tents weren't that great.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And VW did it earlier still. Again the tents weren't all that awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then Oldsmobile Cruisers came on the scene and people realized that if you want to sleep in a car, might as well design it big enough to do it without a nylon attachment.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Naturally Selected posted:

But it has a platinum model. Because high class. Because, you know, nothing says classy like a mid-range japanese sedan with PLATINUM in huge letters glued to its rear end.

Gotta have it on the sides of your truck for real classiness

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A clever prankster would rearrange the letters to spell A TIN LUMP.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xzzy posted:

A clever prankster would rearrange the letters to spell A TIN LUMP.

Paint them pink and write ANTI LUMP.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Kill me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This may not be popular but: wrong thread. A Messerhalfbugmicrotruck is pretty wild.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Uthor posted:

Paint them pink and write ANTI LUMP.

A LIMP NUT

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

trouser chili posted:

Yeah, that's not current. At one point I would have sold it for 12K but today I think it could pull north of $25,000, and I wouldn't let it go for less than $30,000. They're gaining in value at a stupid rate.

Oh no poo poo. I didnt know they were worth that much. Thats awesome that you still have it, those things rock.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Bout a year ago one pulled $43,000 on ebay. It was a 1997 (rarest) and under 12K miles, but that's still a car that sold new for $25,000 less than 20 years ago.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jared592 posted:

I thought they were a little over-styled at first but I'm coming around. Those tail lights make the back of the car look really cool and space-craft-y at night.

The Civic has been dead to me since 2006, but more because Honda made them a lot harder to work on.

MrYenko posted:

I take issue with this comment; GM of today is just as incompetent as GM of 1986.

GM of today makes the LSx though..

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

some texas redneck posted:

GM of today makes the LSx though..

I'm pretty sure that this is a documentary about GM Powertrain vs the rest of the GM corporate structure.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

I disagree. Outside of BL Roger Smith GM was one of the worst-managed companies in automotive history. He severely damaged the company; only very recently have they started to recover from it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

trouser chili posted:

Bout a year ago one pulled $43,000 on ebay. It was a 1997 (rarest) and under 12K miles, but that's still a car that sold new for $25,000 less than 20 years ago.

A decent driver would probably be 20k, the cheapest I've seen was $8000 with rust, accident damage and a JDM front conversion.

On a side note, the Internet has made me hate the word JDM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Naturally Selected posted:

You ever see a 2016/17 Prius? Cause I'm pretty sure it'll give the leaf a long rear end headstart and still come out ahead.

E: Between the prius and the RX350's clusterfuck of completely non-matching angles everywhere, it looks like someone somewhere figured out that sharp angles=cool aggressive awesome, and told all the engineers to just MAKE EVERYTHING SHARP ANGLES.

A buddy of mine got one as a rental recently, and posted a picture taken from about the 4 o'clock position - I thought it was a photo of a wrecked car, at first glance. Nope, just a new Prius.