Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
You'll actually want to sell (or jettison) those ASAP, NPC pirates still prioritize them over all common sense. As in, I had some insulating membrane aboard my Python and I had pirate sidewinders hellbent on making me ditch those for them.

On a similar note, they do make for an excellent lure for when you're actually bounty hunting. Pirates across the sector will beeline for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

So, uh, just got some materials (Articulation Motors, in this case) as a mission reward. Some quick Googling around indicates there's no way to store them (in case, say, some Engineer somewhere will ask me for them at some point in the future); is there really nothing to be done other than selling them off?

To directly answer, no. There's no cargo management. It's an inventory that is always with "you" whichever ship you're in.
With very very few exceptions, just sell it all.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Cargo is weird. I can't even swap to my other ship if I have 1 ton of cargo. I had some Modular Terminals and was in my combat ship that has almost no jump range and wanted to swap to my 50 yl jumper to give it to Qwent, but couldn't. :(

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I got a Oculus Rift. It's cool. I can look around the cockpit. But I can't get the sound to work. Woo here comes hours of troubleshooting.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Kramjacks posted:

I got a Oculus Rift. It's cool. I can look around the cockpit. But I can't get the sound to work. Woo here comes hours of troubleshooting.

If I remember right, you'll need to set the Rift as the default audio device while it's plugged in. Just right click the volume icon in the tray to find the options window.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

If I remember right, you'll need to set the Rift as the default audio device while it's plugged in. Just right click the volume icon in the tray to find the options window.

I did that. I also set it to be used in Steam VR settings. And the Oculus app settings. But apparently all I had to do was post here about it because I tried again without changing any more settings and it worked all of a sudden.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Kramjacks posted:

I did that. I also set it to be used in Steam VR settings. And the Oculus app settings. But apparently all I had to do was post here about it because I tried again without changing any more settings and it worked all of a sudden.

That was me. You're welcome.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kramjacks posted:

Don't forget to install the sound drivers for your video card.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Use port 220, IRQ=7, DMA=5 in your autoexec.bat when you boot and that should work

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Use port 220, IRQ=7, DMA=5 in your autoexec.bat when you boot and that should work

:D

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DancingShade posted:

What about config.sys? Don't just give him half the info!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I had to use a boot disk to disable my sound card and mouse when I play this game so I can stay under the 640kb memory limit

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I've done a fair bit of combat (only at res's) and exploration now and have a mostly specced Cobra MKIII and Asp Explorer. Any tips for what to try next? I'd like to fight more mainly

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Heliosicle posted:

I've done a fair bit of combat (only at res's) and exploration now and have a mostly specced Cobra MKIII and Asp Explorer. Any tips for what to try next? I'd like to fight more mainly

Diamondback scout and learn to always be out of arc for your target. If you do it well they should barely hit you.

Oh - never get rid of your Cobra MkIII or Asp Explorer. Those ships are useful forever, especially when doing engineer grind stuff.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 26, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Cargo is weird. I can't even swap to my other ship if I have 1 ton of cargo. I had some Modular Terminals and was in my combat ship that has almost no jump range and wanted to swap to my 50 yl jumper to give it to Qwent, but couldn't. :(

You can swap if the ship you're swapping to has enough space to hold it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Heliosicle posted:

Seconding the DIamondback Scout for a cheapish, flexible, awesome little long-range fighter.

For a more primary combat ship, the Vulture owns bones. Tough like hell, incredibly agile for its looks, ridiculous firepower - the only downside is the limited FSD range, but you can mitigate that by getting around in your AspE and having the Vulture delivered to your location.

(You probably want to hold onto at least the AspE, it's an excellent workhorse ship for moving about the bubble and doing things like mining, engineering material retrieval, etc etc).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I took my RES fit diamondback scout all the way to Colonia and back. It had an engineer tuned FSD so it actually did a pretty good job of travelling 10k light years without a stop.

If you are primarily entertained by blowing things up and exploration it's a great little ship. Plus the rebuy is quite modest so you never have to worry about risk taking.

Seconding the vulture as being a purebred murder machine though. That's basically my personal endgame shooty bang bang ship - didn't like the loss of agility going to the FDL.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Diamondback scout lost its niche when silentrunning stopped being meta, I'd just go with the Viper III.
The Viper IV is also good once you have it well-fit and engineered, but is frustrating if not.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Viper Mk III didn't have the agility for me but if you like it fly it.

Mk IV would be amazing as general purpose plus it looks cool as hell but it handles so badly :smith:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Thanks for the tips, got the diamondback, will mess around with some builds and try the vulture after that. In terms of actual things to do in the game what are some good options, faction stuff?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Khablam posted:

Diamondback scout lost its niche when silentrunning stopped being meta, I'd just go with the Viper III.
The Viper IV is also good once you have it well-fit and engineered, but is frustrating if not.

gently caress the silent running meta, the point of the DBS is that it's a great little combat ship that actually has space legs. The Viper-3 is a great cheap dedicated fighter, but actually traveling with it from A to B is a complete pain in the reproductives. It's also got a different flight profile from the Viper-3 - the V3 is a boom-and-zoom 'jet fighter' flier, while the DBS handles (and looks) more like a helicopter gunship.

I'm still disappointed in the Viper-4. SUre, it's toughter and fixes the MK3's issues with the power grid and frameshift drive, but compared to its little brother it just kind of.. plods along. Doesn't have the same explosive speed and acceleration the MKIII has, which is honestly its greatest asset in the first place.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
What's really hilarious is turning the Viper III into a suicide-sled. North of 850 m/s and fragile as hell. You can just barely fit on a pair of Lockbreaker/Scramble Spectrum PACs, a dumbfire FSD disruptor rocket launcher, and an SCB breaker railgun. Congratulations, you're now probably one of the most annoying things to fight in the entire game. :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You can do some pretty crazy things with engineering tuned components. It's a long painful grind but the result is basically a +5 vorpal spaceship.

Or a collection of said spaceships.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

I had a play in an Eagle while waiting for my vulture to be delivered and it's very fun. Gotta be way more careful but with 3 beam lasers on it it does plenty of damage and it's fast enough to just gently caress off from the fight when things go wrong.

I also forgot to get landing permission* on return from a passenger mission. Station security doesn't gently caress around.
* I was drunk

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dirty Frank posted:

* I was drunk

Like 80% of the time I play this game, I'm a bit drunk. Don't drink and fly.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What's the current money maker? Just started playing again and need to finally get my anaconda

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What's the current money maker? Just started playing again and need to finally get my anaconda

I make a few million an hour by trekking way out into space scanning everything, then finding a system where I can stack up long distance deliveries back to that bubble of occupied territories. I've made close to a million in a single trip just from scans, and some of the delivery missions pay 600k+ and only take up a little bit of room in your hold. It's fun cashing it all out at the end, but there must be a better way to do it. I tried taking passengers for a bit, but it's a noticeably slower way to make money. Some of the sight seeing passenger missions (which I don't have the rep to take) pay tens of millions, but how do you even do an 11,000 ly roundtrip

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Passenger missions have stupid high payouts. Like 500k-2mil just to hop one or two systems over and drop them off. I stack a few of these every evening and make 10-15 million a night. Sometimes passengers want you to do poo poo for them. gently caress 'em; just drop them off. They pay too little for their extra favors compared to how much you'd make on your next set of passengers. A Dolphin is a great beginner passenger ship. And when you can, get an Asp E. I saved enough in less than a week to go from an Asp to a Python.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Swapped my Viper 3 for a Vulture and have no regrets. This ship rules.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

do ships spawns still work as if you're the only ship in the instance (say, playing on solo mode), jumping in and out of the area is the only way to "reset" the ship pool? i went to the nav beacon in the community goal area to try and get my name on the board and even after a couple of tries the biggest bounties i could get to show up were cobra III's for like 50k

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Join the Diamond Frogs and ask about (pirating) diamonds.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Gort posted:

I had to use a boot disk to disable my sound card and mouse when I play this game so I can stay under the 640kb memory limit

I've got a mouse driver that only takes up 5kb of space.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Join the Diamond Frogs and ask about (pirating) diamonds.

I guess I can get reauthed to the discord

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

I guess I can get reauthed to the discord

Check the frog support channel's pinned messages, there's a guide for it. It's pretty rewarding. Other than that there's also combat zone massacre mission stacking. That's going away in 2.4 so get in on it while you still can.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have horizons and i know i've seen the engineer's requests before but for the life of me i can't remember what menu they're under can anyone explain the menus to me in excruciating detail

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So, just to make sure I'm not missing something obvious: there's no in-game way to, like, search local markets for items being bought+sold, or search for stations ranked by proximity and filter for "sells ships" / "has outfitting services" or the like, right? The most we have is the info you get from the System Map by clicking on individual stations, and I have to go to eddb.io for anything more sophisticated?

And is there any way to find a specific mineable resource? I (perhaps foolishly) took a mission to extract 6 units of Cobalt, which I naively assumed would be relatively straightforward. But even if I had all the quality of life mining thingies like collectors and prospectors, I don't see any way of knowing if Cobalt is even in a given field short of going there and poking a bunch of rocks.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Ghost of Starman posted:

And is there any way to find a specific mineable resource? I (perhaps foolishly) took a mission to extract 6 units of Cobalt, which I naively assumed would be relatively straightforward.

Good news: Cobalt is a tradeable commodity sold at Extraction stations.

It can also be mined from rocky belt asteroids.
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Miner

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Cowcaster posted:

i have horizons and i know i've seen the engineer's requests before but for the life of me i can't remember what menu they're under can anyone explain the menus to me in excruciating detail

Right hand panel > far left tab > View Engineers

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cowcaster posted:

do ships spawns still work as if you're the only ship in the instance (say, playing on solo mode), jumping in and out of the area is the only way to "reset" the ship pool? i went to the nav beacon in the community goal area to try and get my name on the board and even after a couple of tries the biggest bounties i could get to show up were cobra III's for like 50k

Go to HIP 20277 - it's one jump from the community goal system and has combat zones in all difficulties and RES in all difficulties. Perfect for getting those payouts for the CG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DatonKallandor posted:

Go to HIP 20277 - it's one jump from the community goal system and has combat zones in all difficulties and RES in all difficulties. Perfect for getting those payouts for the CG.

huh. for some reason i thought bounties had to be turn in for the system they were in, except for kill warrant bounties (which usually are much smaller)

• Locked thread