Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Dren posted:

Even if that Hanzo knew where that payload was how could he have known there would be two people on it? Why would he chance spending his ult if he didn't know they would be there? Could he make that same play on a fresh PC installed by a third party?

I'm not accusing anyone of anything I'm just asking questions.

If the payload moves, there's people at least somewhere around it. Hanjos ult is a conscious lucky shot anyway, if you just go check where people are and then press Q from the front angle, it's more likely that they will notice it in time and you won't get kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
stupid symmetra idea: step on lucio's metal toes and make her e give teammates a speedboost

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Dren posted:

Even if that Hanzo knew where that payload was how could he have known there would be two people on it? Why would he chance spending his ult if he didn't know they would be there? Could he make that same play on a fresh PC installed by a third party?

1. Everyone knows where the payload is, the game makes it massively obvious.
2. There's always people on the payload, it heals and if it's moving it's guaranteed to have someone on it.
3. Probably, I've seen similar plays on PS4.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bolivar posted:

If the payload moves, there's people at least somewhere around it. Hanjos ult is a conscious lucky shot anyway, if you just go check where people are and then press Q from the front angle, it's more likely that they will notice it in time and you won't get kills.

Doesn't that play look a lot like something that could be accomplished with wallhacks? Again, not accusing anyone just asking questions.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I've seen more than enough Hanzos fire blindly at the cart, at the enemy spawn, or some approximation of trying to hit both that such is no surprise. It's... not the worst move, certainly. Not the best but sometimes they get lucky that way.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dren posted:

Doesn't that play look a lot like something that could be accomplished with wallhacks? Again, not accusing anyone just asking questions.

I think when they use wall hacks it's a lot more obvious.. I've gotten shot by widows when she can actually see my outline behind a wall , and can just aim where im running out. I've seen it on other heroes too some time. Maybe there are more advanced version now for sale from the hackers, anonymous, etc.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

AceClown posted:

2. There's always people on the payload, it heals and if it's moving it's guaranteed to have someone on it.

Top centre of every screen is a graphic that displays when a cap is being taken or cart being pushed, and how any people are currently doing it or how fast it is rolling... I think, suddenly blanking on what it looks like for a cart defence. It just doesn't appear on the replay, because it doesn't need to be there.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
It also says if a point is contested or not. The information is shown to both teams.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dude also builds ult so fast that there's pretty much no reason not to be bucking off the dragon at every opportunity unless Zarya has been slamming that Z key to tell you to wait for a combo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dren posted:

You...know that the UI shows how many people are pushing the payload at any given time, right? And if that push is being blocked? Everyone, on both teams, knows how many attackers are near the cart, at all times. And that the payload is always outlined through walls? Blind Hanzo shots on the payload are as much a staple of PotG clips as dead Torbjorns. poo poo, I usually have to compliment the Hanzo when their PotG clip actually has them in view of an enemy at any point during the clip.

Like, this is the weirdest "asking questions" about cheating I've seen.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Dren needs to settle down. Not everyone is cheating.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I try not to attribute stuff to cheating, mainly because it discourages me from working to get better if I really believe I had no chance.

From a relative newb I think the game can get frustrating if you die from some one-in-a-million shot or something; last night I got headshot by Black Widow when she aimed between what seemed like a 1 pixel wide gap and pegged me at just the right time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I keep getting 2 kills while wallriding on the PS4 and then dying or having the round end. It's actively making me go nuts at this point as the pits hunger and I'm doing my best okay

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Its very easy to cheat in games nowadays and there are a lot of cheaters in any given Blizzard game. I have got the impression that Blizzard is at least relatively on it though, with their permanent banwaves and whatnot

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Zephyrine posted:

Dren needs to settle down. Not everyone is cheating.

You said it yourself, you have no idea what the truth is. I'm just asking questions, just like you.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Cheating I'm sure happens a lot, but I didn't notice anyone from my friend list mysteriously disappearing when the major ban waves came through so percentage wise it's probably not as bad as we think.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Last night we discovered you could demand enemy teams to send out one of their players in exchange for victory.

"SEND US (PLAYER NAME) AND WE WILL LET YOU WIN. HE MUST DANCE FOR US. ALL OTHERS STAY INSIDE."

And then immediately shoot them and claim that you lied or it was not truly them.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Last night we discovered you could demand enemy teams to send out one of their players in exchange for victory.

"SEND US (PLAYER NAME) AND WE WILL LET YOU WIN. HE MUST DANCE FOR US. ALL OTHERS STAY INSIDE."

And then immediately shoot them and claim that you lied or it was not truly them.

man that is just...so loving wacky

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

Cheating I'm sure happens a lot, but I didn't notice anyone from my friend list mysteriously disappearing when the major ban waves came through so percentage wise it's probably not as bad as we think.
I think it's pretty rare. There have been a few times where I've played against McCree or Widow players who were just a bit too good (only ever getting headshots, only missing on horizontal, never on vertical, etc) and reported them but who knows if they were just amazingly good or using an aimbot.

At least many of the characters in the game wouldn't benefit from (at least more simplistic) aimbots.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Panfilo posted:

last night... Widow... pegged me... just... right...

Nice

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Panfilo posted:

I try not to attribute stuff to cheating, mainly because it discourages me from working to get better if I really believe I had no chance.

From a relative newb I think the game can get frustrating if you die from some one-in-a-million shot or something; last night I got headshot by Black Widow when she aimed between what seemed like a 1 pixel wide gap and pegged me at just the right time.

Widowmaker literally has a wall hack ultimate, so that's not actually too outlandish. It happens more than you think.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Dren Beck

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I've only seen one instance (99% sure anyway) of cheating, a month in to release. It was a Bastion potg that auto-locked immediately on the enemy that was closest, and when a Tracer used recall his screen went bonkers. Definitely the most damning potg I have seen, so I assume they probably got caught up in the massive ban wave. I could be wrong, but it seemed pretty blatant.

Most other players are better than me (with a sprinkle of lucky shots, looking at you Hanzo) so I usually chalk it up my deaths to that!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ragequit posted:

I've only seen one instance (99% sure anyway) of cheating, a month in to release. It was a Bastion potg that auto-locked immediately on the enemy that was closest, and when a Tracer used recall his screen went bonkers. Definitely the most damning potg I have seen, so I assume they probably got caught up in the massive ban wave. I could be wrong, but it seemed pretty blatant.

Most other players are better than me (with a sprinkle of lucky shots, looking at you Hanzo) so I usually chalk it up my deaths to that!

I saw a lot of autolocking S76s and Widows early on, especially before the second big purge that nailed everyone using "triggerbot", but none recently. Seems like their anti-cheat policy and punishment is proving more effective than others.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I can only think of one time where I was pretty positive there was a cheater, he didn't do any blatant aimbotting, but he was definitely tracking people through walls when he had no way of doing so. Since the banwaves though, everything's been pretty nice

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Since the known banwaves I've only seen one cheater. It was a Mcree on my team that would just beeline into the enemy team and die after taking one or two people down. POTG shows him doing sicknasty 180 headshots between four people in less than three seconds.

He was so bad, he didn't have map awareness or survival skills, but really could press that snap-to button for instant headshot fun.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Fibby Boy posted:

60 for both so I can sorta keep up with Genji when he's jumping everywhere.

Do you use FPS freeks?

Does anyone play with a different vertical speed than horizontal?

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Worst/most obvious I’ve seen was a soldier POTG where he was snapping from head to head instantly. Like, it looked like the way his ult auto-aims but it only jumped to headshots.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kuromyneko posted:

I think at least half the players in overwatch are using some kind of cheat but can't be sure. Like I played before season 1 and people seemed pretty clueless as to what to do, could pretty much destroy people as genji and phara on all maps cause no one was able to see you and if they did they couldn't aim for poo poo lol. As soon as season 1 competitive hit people suddenly became pro players, people had perfect map awareness, could see you as soon or even before you stuck your head out. Were able to hit 99% of the time, even long range Mei or Torbjorn, I even had bastion shooting at me from behind glass as soon as as I came into view. Was just super weird.
Some of that is just matchmaking. When I started playing the game (after season 1 competitive started, so there were people out there who knew there poo poo), it was incredibly easy to just gently caress with people and make awesome plays as no one noticed you. But after doing that enough, I guess the game figured I should be fighting better people, because they all seem to have total awareness at all times and murder me if I'm not absurdly cautious.

It's just how that kind of matchmaking progression feels. The matchmaker's really good actually. I feel like I'm constantly getting really good close battles.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Man early on it was easy as hell to do amazing things in overwatch. Anyone who was an experienced FPS player destroyed the poor pubs running around like headless chickens.

Then people learned the maps, they learned where the healthpacks were, they learned to listen for footsteps and ult callouts and they found their best classes to play. It's only natural that as time goes on people get way better

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Zzulu posted:

Man early on it was easy as hell to do amazing things in overwatch. Anyone who was an experienced FPS player destroyed the poor pubs running around like headless chickens.

Then people learned the maps, they learned where the healthpacks were, they learned to listen for footsteps and ult callouts and they found their best classes to play. It's only natural that as time goes on people get way better

I see it more as the elite pvp players were imprisoned up in the higher tiers. Slap some medals on them and call it a high rank and then all the normal people could have fun in the low to mid tiers.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

So I'm watching Ster's stream and someone keeps spamming him with invites to custom games. He has turned off invites from non-friends and also blocked the person but is still getting a request every 5-10 seconds.

I don't know if this is just on PTR or if this bug is also on live

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I swear I have played against lag switches on ps4 it's only ever been in 2-3 games but things get unplayable at certain points. It also effects my whole team so God knows.

However don't think I've come across aim bots etc on ps4

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can't even really report people on ps4 lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Zephyrine posted:

How prevalent is cheating in Overwatch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9_ptb61EI

I'm not making accusations or anything... But still.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 27, 2016

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I'm glad the competitive season ended so now we can go back to matches against 6 Zarya.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Is Eichenwalde in the QP rotation on PTR or just in the Brawl?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Grammaton posted:

Is Eichenwalde in the QP rotation on PTR or just in the Brawl?

QP, Comp and PTR

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Since we are telling cheater stories ive got a blatant one. Dva with the summer skin last weekeend. I'm mei i catch this guy from behind on the flank noone else around I freeze him run to the front put two icicles in his frozen windshield zero damage. Both matches ended the same way we got the point to like 99% been one last second push led by this guy they win. On the second one I iceberged up he went past me fired multiple icicles in his backside for zero damage. He had the cheat on a toggle so he could turn it on and off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wren610 posted:

Since we are telling cheater stories ive got a blatant one. Dva with the summer skin last weekeend. I'm mei i catch this guy from behind on the flank noone else around I freeze him run to the front put two icicles in his frozen windshield zero damage. Both matches ended the same way we got the point to like 99% been one last second push led by this guy they win. On the second one I iceberged up he went past me fired multiple icicles in his backside for zero damage. He had the cheat on a toggle so he could turn it on and off.

I think there may just be a weird bug with icicles and frozen targets or something, because I froze a Hanzo last night and the first icicle I shot did absolutely nothing, but the second hit.