Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Charles Bukowski posted:

One day you might even team up with a particularly sharp Sonya and create the ultimate DISHWASHERRRRR!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyyeTC9dHoM

I miss the original Dishwasher, back when Barrel's Level 20 increased Chen's Movement Speed for every hero hit - and was uncapped. It quickly became impossible to do anything in that little crater as Chen repeatedly set new land-speed records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDwlPrklBng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's a washing machine. There is no element in a dishwasher that violently agitates the dishes

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

lol if you think goons wash their clothes or dishes

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I hand wash so :colbert:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Ignite Memories posted:

It's a washing machine. There is no element in a dishwasher that violently agitates the dishes

i had a bad brain moment and forgot what the original thing was called okay

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Charles Bukowski posted:

I hand wash so :colbert:

Most people wash more than just their hands.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I had never seen or heard of the dishwasher/washing machine but it is a gameplay concept I know, but did not have the same name for.

Some skills and talents are kind of meh in general use, but when you can hold and enemy down and force them to stay inside the AoE for the full duration they become game changers.

The one I first mastered was being janitor Leoric, throwing down a toilet Tomb, and having an Orphea use Eternal Feast while I bodyblocked people inside.

I would always type out "HE ON THE TOILET" when getting a kill this way.

Rag's hammer ult and Zul'jin's guillotine are fantastic when you got someone holding down the enemy to land that satisfying overkill SLAM

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
also the Gazlowe rework is good. It feels balanced in multiple builds, and the faster reaction time on lasers/bombs fits the current HotS metagame much better than the old versions. His new talents reminded me of the WC3 Tinker hero a lot, which is a good thing. Especially having the explodium spawn mini turrets and getting the laser turret sync earlier than level 20. Felt like I was a mad scientist with TNT bundles just falling out of my pockets, leaving little shooty minions in my wake.

When they did the Tassadar rework, it made me miss a lot of the hallmarks of old Tassadar (even though the new one was good). The Gazlowe rework only made me miss one specific talent from his old build: overcharging your laser for a longer cast time and better damage. That always felt rewarding, to pre-position yourself before a gank or objective, and let loose a big honkin' blast right at the start of a teamfight. I wish the talent that gave you 2 charges of laser/reduced cooldown was instead the old overcharge skill. Otherwise he is a joy to play and feels well balanced, neither OP or underpowered.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I feel like his turrets could maybe use a small upwards tweak, but I agree in general. Conceptually he's a lot of fun now even if I don't think numbers are absolutely perfect.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

One of my biggest issues with Newzlowe is that Robo-Goblin's build choices are narrower than ever. If you're punching people, you absolutely have to take certain talents - Positive Reinforcement and Overklock are absolute must-haves for DPS and stickiness. If you're relying on Rock It Sock It (which you should, because it gives you the most bang for your buck defense-wise), then Big Game Hunter, Goblin Fusion, and It's Raining Scrap are required to keep the shield up for as long as possible. That's potentially every talent tier effectively decided for you in advance. And oh by the way, because Robo-Goblin is now a stacking DOT effect instead of a flat damage bonus, Robo-Goblin has drastically reduced effectiveness when paired with any form of DPS stim.

Oldzlowe did not have this problem. Oldzlowe's Bruiser Build started and stopped with Robo-Goblin, which means you can build everything else in his kit however the gently caress you wanted. Turrets gave you more immediate damage presence, laser gave you range/AOE/poke/burst potential, and bombs gave you zoning/combo potential.

Newzlowe isn't bad in terms of performance, but there's a lot of design and gameplay stuff that shouldn't have made it past basic design review.

Kith fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 17, 2020

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Yeah, when i posted before I was just ecstatic about going laser/TNT build and how good it felt. That plays and feels like a mad chemist, and I think it's his most viable build right now.

Tried the autattack/tanky build and it is not great. Like you said, there are many talent tiers where you don't have a choice, and then you are basically locked into the rest of your build. It was also annoying that instead of having Robogoblin as your big self-buff, it is split into two different activatable buffs (on top of gladiator token) and felt really messy to play, trying to remember which one gave me armor or unstoppable. I felt the real big issue was that you lose a lot of self-healing by taking the melee attack talents instead. I was hurting for HP all the way until the lvl 20 talent that gives you 30 armor during big fights. This felt especially weird since D.Va rework has a talent that gives you 30 armor (and move speed!) in the same situation at level 1. Her new level 1 Pro Moves is better than Gazlowe's capstone level 20 robogoblin.

I haven't played either of them a bunch, but that's my first impression.

Only played 2 matches with new D.Va so far, but I think the close range bonus attack damage is a great mechanic, because it encourages players to position aggressively and bodyblock while autoattacking, which has always been a very effective way to use D.Va's mech but in the past I have seen many people just play her like a poke-y ranged attack hero unless diving for a kill.

I don't think new D.VA is OP, but maybe a bit overtuned and will see small damage reductions in coming patches. If you are always watching your targeting and and the extra AoE/close range bonus damage on your autoattack, the mech just shits out incidental damage that adds up over the course of the game.

Also holy poo poo is the "shoot your self destructing mech to make it blow up faster" talent good. Not mechanics-wise, it just makes a really cool warning noise when you shoot the mech and I like it a lot.

"Nerf this", indeed

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 19, 2020

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Whether you say ‘overtuned’ or ‘OP as gently caress’ it doesn’t really matter - She’s still currently a dumb as gently caress tanky Bruiser with a built in second life that doesn’t even give partial kill credit that also consistently tops damage over many Assassins.

And that’s just bad.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
There’s lots of dummy thicc tanks and bruisers right now. I do well to clip their mobility or take percentage damage if it’s available. CC is the poo poo, good roots followed by stunlocks take down anything. The ways the game is broken seem to overlap so, just shoot it till it’s dead. They’ve pushed the power of tanks way up too it seems, since nobody ever wants to play them judging by the exp boost.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

there's been a pretty significant trend of character designs that can do a little bit of everything for the past few years (orphea is probably the most egregious example)

my theory is that it's because the developers realized that a moba with no solo playmaking potential felt bad for most of the moba crowd, so inching the roster more heavily towards self-reliance is an effort to entice the elusive Republican Swing Voter into trying+sticking with HOTS

of course because they're doing it slowly instead of a core overhaul it's skewing the meta and we're rapidly approaching Double Warrior once again but i guess that's acceptable fallout

tychus is probably on-track for another nerf/rework/overhaul. malthael and leoric might be as well, although they're less likely because they're actually well-designed/well-balanced

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Guh, double warrior. I remember that.

Malth needs a tune, they’ve done a lot of flattening across heroes that I’ve seen (am I using the word right?), throwing shade seems to be a good example. It was a quest that expanded his reach, they took the quest out and just handed it to him because he really sucks if he can’t get in there, without fear the reaper he can’t get back out.

Every patch seems to point to what Kith said, draft is not what people play, the emphasis is off competitive storm league and on individuals or small parties playing their favorite blizzard characters to super smash other blizzard characters.

I for one embrace our new insect overlords, having never liked storm league. Too much effort too much time, if I’m that invested in being tense and possibly eating poo poo for several hours with a highly coordinated team, I think I’m gonna be playing WoW classic on Mankirk.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

if malth gets any changes, they'll probably be QoL adjustments to his talent tree. his baseline performance isn't strong enough to hop lanes so he's not a massive threat unless the enemy has more than two beefy individuals

leoric might be catching nerfs because he's capable of tankbusting and some pretty heavy burst, plus the ability to completely neuter damage outputs while doing so

tychus seriously needs a rework because he's just too good at too many things. "oh he's got short range" isn't nearly enough to hold him back, especially after the unwarranted buffs he got a couple patches ago

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Malth needs a rework pretty badly. Like when was the last time you could pick something other then "Q talents whenever possible and also Last Rites"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i wouldn't know, i think malthael the character is dumber than poo poo and that makes playing him (and therefore maintaining an understanding of him) pretty low priority for me. i have an "outside looking in" understanding of "i think he's got a decent power level and a handful of niche uses but is otherwise unremarkable" but that's hardly enough to comment meaningfully on his current balance

fake edit: apparently i knew at one point because i looked through my rework notes out of curiosity and had an entire rework written up from two+ years ago. rip

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Malthael is one of those characters that on paper has a really high ceiling and I’m sure some super cool dudes can make him work, but every time I’ve tried to learn him its just a death stomp. I feel like I never am able to do the work I need to at melee in teamfights without just getting deleted instantly.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
It’s like using Zeratul, just more splash and dot. A load of Q mashing. You basically float by and dot everyone up then take off. If you use that shade slide to dot everyone up first, you can teleport to anyone with the reapers mark in a shorter range than Tul’s blink.

Malth used to be able to soak lanes from the start like he was strolling through the park, that’s not as rare now.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I feel like Malthael can play a little more loosely, get more overall DPS than Tychus because of all the dots and AoE that applies DoTs, and has some nice utility talents

but Tychus is king poo poo of pounding a mountain of HP into a crater, and fast

All you need is one good stun from an ally and Tychus removes an enemy hero from play. By retreat or by death. Quarterback + Titan grenade is such a great "gently caress you" move once you learn to blind throw it where a low HP hero is fleeing in fog of war. Tychus + Brightwing with polymorph talents works well against a single enemy hero that is wrecking your team/controlling the teamfights. Doesn't even matter if they are a high HP hero. It's just a great way to shut down one specific player.

Malthael is more of a slow burn and requires a long teamfight and sustained support to live his best life. Malth + Malf or Malth + Rehgar work well. They can talent into sustained heals and both have a good root/slow to help Malth catch that enemy that would have walked off with 5% HP. Lucio with high 5 ult is good too, because of the cleanse. All it takes is a well timed stun or slow and Malth will lose a lot of his reaper marks when they wander off.

I really like Tychus and Whitemane gank squad, if you catch someone off guard they are dead meat and you guys leave at 100% hp but you can't hold them down to do the full damage. It's feast or famine against players with good map awareness.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

despite being billed as the "anti-tank" assassin, tychus can 100-0 valla in less than 4 seconds at level 4

the only other character that can even come close to that is an orphea that opens with a fully charged trait and lands a perfect combo

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

right into my veins.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

this is more like it.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
As a player that shitposts in the general chat channel between AI matches, I feel personally attacked

people get so mad that I play AI matches for a relaxing no-pressure evening of Video Games

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

WITCHCRAFT posted:

As a player that shitposts in the general chat channel between AI matches, I feel personally attacked

people get so mad that I play AI matches for a relaxing no-pressure evening of Video Games

Why would you enjoy video games?

With that said, I got absolutely bullied for 2 games by a diva player - decided to play her vs ai medium for my first time and wrecked face.

Diva is busted, but a lot of fun. I can see why she is popular - but, she is a bitch to play against.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

This is supposed to be hush hush but there's talk of the next hero being timed to release with the Brood War 10 year ASL championship to capitalize on the low hanging hype revenue and i saw something compelling to confrim.

They're patching out the muta talent for Zag to make way for the next hero release.

Mutalisk Flock they're a ranged assassin(s?) with splash attack. You start out with three, each one's control bound to q, w and e or alternatively 1, 2, 3, with 4 being control all a la Sam or vikings (I think, I've never actually played them lol). When a flock is near a lane they got a stack that goes toward spawning another muta to add on to the threee control groups, up to a total of I'm assuming 12 but who knows. Not sure if its tied to xp orbs or siege damage or what

Didn't get to see the ult actually used but it was pretty obviously Guardian from the icon. Maybe it's a transform or summon or something.Would be cool to have devoured be the other one but if I remember right they were all anti air in sc1 so who knows... anyways excited to get another core sc presence repped.

Edit: sry typos

Camel Camus fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 26, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Camel Camus posted:

This is supposed to be hush hush but there's talk of the next hero being timed to release with the Brood War 10 year ASL championship to capitalize on the low hanging hype revenue and i saw something compelling to confrim.

They're patching out the muta talent for Zag to make way for the next hero release.

Mutalisk Flock they're a ranged assassin(s?) with splash attack. You start out with three, each one's control bound to q, w and e or alternatively 1, 2, 3, with 4 being control all a la Sam or vikings (I think, I've never actually played them lol). When a flock is near a lane they got a stack that goes toward spawning another muta to add on to the threee control groups, up to a total of I'm assuming 12 but who knows. Not sure if its tied to xp orbs or siege damage or what

Didn't get to see the ult actually used but it was pretty obviously Guardian from the icon. Maybe it's a transform or summon or something.Would be cool to have devoured be the other one but if I remember right they were all anti air in sc1 so who knows... anyways excited to get another core sc presence repped.

Edit: sry typos

not buying it tbh

e: like i would love to see this in motion but

A) it's extremely unlikely they're going to make another "ain't it cool" style hero that nobody is going to play outside of specific niche situations when they've been eagerly sanding down every unique outlier for the past couple major patches
B) lol @ patching out a talent to make way for a hero
C) nobody gives a poo poo about mutalisks, zerglings/hydralisks/ultralisks are where it's at
D) i'm noticing a pretty suspicious lack of links/videos/pictures/anything that makes this seem anything more than fanfiction

if they're going to do anything for a starcraft tie-in it's going to be a probius rework and/or a zagara rework

(that's assuming they're going to do anything in the first place)

(which is unlikely)

Kith fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 26, 2020

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Remove mule from Abathur, make it a full hero.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Make strangers be able to join any random game with the Vikings in it and be able to control one of them.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The Innkeeper from Hearthstone:

Ult 1: tosses a keg down and everyone around it gets drunk and has their controls reversed for 5 seconds

Ult 2: Opens a pack of cards, a random Legendary card is summoned

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the least believable part about that is that a legendary is guaranteed

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The only thing that rumour has going for it is that the 'Blizzcon' heroes are the weird ones, but I'd sooner believe they'll release the fan favourite Overmind hero than that mess.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Yeah I was cracking myself up with the concept that that blizzard would try to capitalize on the "low hanging fruit" (lol) of 10 years of ASL with a sc1 champ in hots and would suddenly reverse their champ design philosophy of weeding out the weird stuff and just a shitload of mutas seemed like the goofiest expression of both of those sentiments.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I like to play blobbed together Vikings when I can get away with it. A swarm of 12 Mutalisks would be a dream come true (until Jaina et al. AoE you down in 2 seconds).

Whatever the new hero is, I got my gold stacked away to buy it on release.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It'll be someone tied into Shadowlands not Starcraft 1 lol

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

presenting...............

Sylvanas II

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A swarm of Murkys

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Presenting Nathanos Blightcaller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Murkling Rush.