Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

oof the log in event for the anniversary rolls starts 9/28, which should be right after baal's banner ends. not surprising but disappointing all the same. wasn't sure I'd get to soft pity before but I'm definitely not now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Mirello posted:

this post is so bizarre to me: https://old.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/pednzz/im_done_spending_money_on_this/

like this dude has spent thousands on the game and is upset because some of his characters arent that op? I really dont get it. to me the cool characters are nice but the world exploartion and story are the main draw, and they're both totally free.

I wouldn't post it if it was just a disgruntled whale, but I'm shocked everyone underneath is agreeing/ being really negative. like I get that guys like this are why the game is free, but it's so simple to me. if you dont like a character, dont get them. if you dont like the game, quit. nobody's forcing you to do anything. I guess there's the gambling addiction thing, but there's no difficult content n the game, and you can do anything other than abyss with just 4* characters (and you can do abyss with 4* characters if you're skilled enough). just cant understand getting constellations on 5*s unless you're like a youtuber getting paid for it or uber wealthy. I'd understand the complaints if they were necessary, but they're not.

like yoimiya for instance. I loved her design and personality, but didnt get her because her kit seems to be pretty trash, and I already got a diluc. If mihoyo releases a bad 5*, just dont get it lol. but even if you dont have diluc, one of the most meta pyro characters is xiangling, whose literally given for free. I guess I just dont get the mindset. if you've got the money spend it, but dont fuckiing complain when you made a bad decision.

I see that one constantly for various things to the point where it almost come across as some sort of copypasta and not particularly believable at face value. The whole I've been doing x with y for z amount of time and have been the most loyal steadfast supporter of it, but now because of n thing I have summarily decided to do a complete 180 on my feelings towards y and throw my support in the complete polar opposite direction (if possible) and/or not give any money to x anymore and just wanted everyone willing to read my posts to know all about it even though who rightly cares. I see it in political tactics too like the GOP's whole fake "walk away" campaign that was supposedly stories of countless lifelong voters leaving the Democratic party in droves because of some really flimsy reason that was a GOP talking point at the moment on Fox News and in the Trump White House.

Anyway for me the character I probably want to see a rerun of the most and seems like it could happen cause she's pretty popular is Eula.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

That's 20 minutes a day, exactly resin spending + dailies~
No, they literally can't log in monday through thursday. I don't think Genshin can be playable in any realistic fashion for 3 hours per week and they'd have to design an express version of the game that lets you spend 120 resin at a time, a 1600 resin cap, no ingredient gathering required at all, once per week commissions instead of daily.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

a lot of the design decisions in genshin make way more sense when you consider whats going on with chinese gaming laws, but that feels way more severe than they were expecting.

Mirello posted:

this post is so bizarre to me: https://old.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/pednzz/im_done_spending_money_on_this/

like this dude has spent thousands on the game and is upset because some of his characters arent that op? I really dont get it. to me the cool characters are nice but the world exploartion and story are the main draw, and they're both totally free.

I wouldn't post it if it was just a disgruntled whale, but I'm shocked everyone underneath is agreeing/ being really negative. like I get that guys like this are why the game is free, but it's so simple to me. if you dont like a character, dont get them. if you dont like the game, quit. nobody's forcing you to do anything. I guess there's the gambling addiction thing, but there's no difficult content n the game, and you can do anything other than abyss with just 4* characters (and you can do abyss with 4* characters if you're skilled enough). just cant understand getting constellations on 5*s unless you're like a youtuber getting paid for it or uber wealthy. I'd understand the complaints if they were necessary, but they're not.

this person isn't wealthy enough to spend for c6 characters and not have it impact their life in some way, and this post and their justifications are them trying to justify things to themselves mentally. the post basically is taking the stance of "of course what i did made sense, but these lazy game developers..." etc. a lot of the responses aren't even people in the same situation, they're basically talking past the op to air their own grievances.

the most upvoted post when i looked at this was a complaint about the league of legends balance team ffs, cant escape these people even in casual mobile game subreddits.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
There's no rerun I'd be too crazy about, so I'm a little relieved Thoma's looking like the only new character for a while after I burn my stockpile on 2.1

Only one I missed who I wanted was Albedo, and I dunno if I'm too crazy about having him that I'd roll specifically for him. I'd trade Hu Tao for him any day though.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Wave posted:

No, they literally can't log in monday through thursday. I don't think Genshin can be playable in any realistic fashion for 3 hours per week and they'd have to design an express version of the game that lets you spend 120 resin at a time, a 1600 resin cap, no ingredient gathering required at all, once per week commissions instead of daily.

I have basically no doubt they'll play daily anyway. Children gonna child and you cannot check mobile's IP for age. It will be more annoying, sure, but won't stop majority of users.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have basically no doubt they'll play daily anyway. Children gonna child and you cannot check mobile's IP for age. It will be more annoying, sure, but won't stop majority of users.

In china you often need to log in to online games using a personal ID. They can limit that however they want.

idk if Genshin is part of that system tho

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You have to register for games with (effectively) your social security number. This is a very real thing, and the wildest part is the new hours go into effect in two days.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I actually live in china. I'm not sure about this, but according to my wife, the kids parents could just sign them up with their id, rendering the time limit obsolete. kinda like parents in america buying gta for their 8 year old. I could be wrong though, as I don't have a chinese child or ID lol.

personally I think its good although if I was a kid I'd be really pissed off. it also only applies to online games afaik

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i remember them talking about running facial recognition on phones to find kids trying to skirt the laws but i cant imagine that ever going anywhere meaningfully, probably way too easy to get a false positive in a dark room with a lovely phone selfie camera lol

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Gimme a kazuha rerun as I wasnt playing when he was released tyvm

I would like a Kazuha rerun so I can get his C1

Also Childe, Jean blocked me this last time.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
also, I doubt many of the whales are children. if they really were a big demographic, they'd just release an offline only version of genshin. wouldn't be a big change at all. but I dont think kids / teens are the main demographic. I could be totally wrong.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I've always been of two minds on the subject of China's restrictions on gaming. On the one hand gacha game addiction and game addiction in general is a significantly more pervasive social, financial, and mental health problem in Asia than it is in North America to the point where some form of stricter regulation is probably needed all around, but on the other hand you know free will to do with your time what you want. As a kid I'd certainly be pissed off about it, as an adult I'd probably have mixed feelings about the government actually doing something to mitigate a legitimate kind of harmful social issue and the increasing predatory nature of gaming companies in exploiting people's attachment to things like anime characters and the need to stay up to date with current meta and content stuff, but on the other hand be resentful for a government telling me how to raise my child and what they are allowed to spend their time doing in my place.

IMO the best solution would ultimately be to enforce tougher rules on companies like Tencent (the one that Xi specifically has the big hard on against atm) , Netease, YoStar or Mihoyo (China already has some way better rules in place than say Japan when it comes to gacha and GAAS titles though), not further tougher rules on the players themselves. From the sounds of it the new rules are targetting game platforms like WeGame (Tencent's version of Steam in China) and not so much individual independent games. No idea how much sway the CPC holds over PSN, Apple Store and Google Play in China, which is what runs Genshin Impact, but possibly not quite as much....maybe?....:shrug:

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 30, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The CCP just wants arcades to come back, who can be against that?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hazdoc posted:

some damage to the cryo abyss mage's shield. The cryo abyss mage isn't invulnerable to cryo, just has high cryo resist, but kazuha's shred removes a large portion of it, allowing the burst to do a bit of damage to the shield. An actual reaction, particularly a Melt reaction, would have done much more damage, but his team doesn't have a good way outside of swirls to rip the shield off, so raw damage output is the alternative.

The cryo slimes are immune to cryo, so no amount of cryo damage will reduce their shields.

edit: oh, and cryo shields actually take some bonus damage from heavy attacks, so chongyun's Q is actually dealing damage to the cryo slime shields, being 4 heavy hits.

I think the part I'm missing is that Chongyun's blades count as claymore attacks. I've heard that abyss mage shields function differently than other shields in the game. I'll have to experiment later.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

pretty big news in china:
https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-technology-business-china-arts-and-entertainment-aaaf26e80a6fab6d8e3de4613468ca30
Under-18s used to be able to play an hour a day, which I think shaped a lot of the design of Genshin, but now it's only one hour three days per week. Very curious how this will impact the game systems.

Mihoyo: New resin before cap is 380. New max condensed resin cap is 12. Mihoyo pls :pray:

Perfect gift for the Psychonauts 2 launch

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I think the part I'm missing is that Chongyun's blades count as claymore attacks. I've heard that abyss mage shields function differently than other shields in the game. I'll have to experiment later.

Its not specifically "claymore" attacks, but "heavy" attacks. Other things that count as heavy attacks are, yes, claymore attacks, but also Geo attacks, plunging attacks, and Klee's normal/charge attacks. Anything that can induce a shatter reaction or do bonus damage to Geo shields is a "heavy" attack. The only thing Chongyun has that isn't a heavy attack is the bonus cryo damage at the end of his attack combo.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

maybe they'll make the daily primo rewards stack up, so if you don't play for 4 days and then on the 5th day you would get the gems for all the days you missed. they've already implemented ways to gather materials while away (gardening, the expeditions) that they could expand on, and they definitely could raise the stamina cap and condensed resin cap to account for this.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Not all Geo attacks are heavy attacks but most of them are. Overloaded also counts as a heavy attack.

I've been curious if there's a resource out there that tables out the relative values for each source of heavy damage and how much is needed to break things like crystal ores or geo hilichurl shields.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Asked and answered

Now I'm on my way to a C15 Sucrose. :negative:

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Is like a rerun for hu tau c1 and Eula c2.

I won’t say no to a staff of Homa rerun either

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wow they put two archons on the same banner

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kale posted:

Talking about some of the stuff I see in general in terms of vibe not you specifically bro. Again no need to get all bent out of shape and defensive.

I was agreeing with you and making fun of the sort of hype posting you were talking about!

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I was agreeing with you and making fun of the sort of hype posting you were talking about!

I'm sorry. I was admittedly a little out of it and fatigued last night.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
see if you were only playing an hour a day just on weekends you wouldn't be so tired and grouchy

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I think I’d rather cut my own fingers off than do any more of the same 3 inazuma commissions again

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

padijun posted:

I think I’d rather cut my own fingers off than do any more of the same 3 inazuma commissions again

rip your fingers

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

RareAcumen posted:

Asked and answered

Now I'm on my way to a C15 Sucrose. :negative:

I meanwhile would like a c1 Sucrose.

She always just seems to fall on banners I don't want.

Not looking forward to farming VV domain again though.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I want the person who designed the Azhdaha fight to buy me a c6 Zhongli or gently caress off forever

Kale
May 14, 2010

padijun posted:

The one with you sneaking around a particularly nasty combination of Fatui guards that seem far more aggressive than usual.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Reminder: hold off on doing your weekly bosses, reputation quests and bounties, etc. until the battle pass reopens later this week so you can get credit for them. Presumably other people ITT are like me and forget this before basically every relevant patch (but I remembered this time!).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Bloody Emissary posted:

Reminder: hold off on doing your weekly bosses, reputation quests and bounties, etc. until the battle pass reopens later this week so you can get credit for them. Presumably other people ITT are like me and forget this before basically every relevant patch (but I remembered this time!).
Ah poo poo! Thanks for the reminder

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Doesn't really matter for bosses because if you really want the bp xp you can just kill them again.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
You can do 2 right now, since there'll be a total of 5 after the patch

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can also just beat up childe 3 times after the patch anyway

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
If you're rolling for sara or baal you may want to do them now so you don't spend 90 resin on that instead of the new world boss ascension mats.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I want the person who designed the Azhdaha fight to buy me a c6 Zhongli or gently caress off forever

That fight was literally designed to sell zhongli, It even came with his banner and his new story.

Speaking of Azhdaha, today I was doing the coop boss achievements and matched with randoms to get his... This fight straight up does not work with 4 people. Some people bring shielders and do no damage while others have to bring damage and have no way to protect themselves and his hp is absurd, he felt much tankier than anything in the abyss even taking into account that I had more or less solo him with ZL shield shred as the only support.

I ended up matched with a zhongli/noele/guitar girl and that was the most harrowing fight I had to do in the 10 month I've been playing this game. Bringing hu tao was a mistake but I was hoping noele would stay alive and keep me healthy, with the current elements I could only go for her, keqing or eula and she felt the right choice.

Ohh well, I have no idea how long it took and how much food I used but its done, I'll never ever do this again.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

AParadox posted:

Ohh well, I have no idea how long it took and how much food I used but its done, I'll never ever do this again.
I've only ever beaten him (outside the story) by matching with randoms, and every single time it comes down to my character dead and me alt-tabbing to read forums while a Qiqi slowly chips away at meatsack the gacha pusher.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

co-op increases enemy stats so...not generally the best method to clearing difficult content unless you manage a decent group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

dogsicle posted:

co-op increases enemy stats so...not generally the best method to clearing difficult content unless you manage a decent group
My Diona is level 10, my Noelle is pretty close to that, and while I've got an 80 NQ, the crystallize objects fall directly in the middle of the thing's body so I can't get to them for shields (great design really feeling empowered by engaging in elemental reactions here) so I pretty much have no shielding anyway so when I've tried it solo, so I just lose the war of attrition.