Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

LazyMaybe posted:

demo clip I grabbed was funnier than expected

https://i.imgur.com/tfBduow.mp4
DUAH-*violent concussive donk*

I don't consider a Brood Commander smaller than a Charger. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I'm very spoiled by these devs but I really want a big ol sexy update. Gimme crazy new missions or stratagems or illuminate. I really thought we would get some cool new thing from the whole SEAF mobilization thing.

I've put s lot into the game but I've sorta set it down at the moment. Waiting to return to a suite a new stuff, tho bug fixes and balance passes have been constant.

Not really a complaint, I've pretty much already gotten my moneys worth. But I know they got exciting stuff planned and it's not out yet. Lots of work for a small team.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
500 kg is fine balance wise but it looks huge and isn’t, which ought to be addressed.

Everyone’s first time using it they say “huh? it didn’t kill anything” then someone pops up and goes “well actually the hitbox of the blast is a cone pointed upwards”

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I'm very spoiled by these devs but I really want a big ol sexy update. Gimme crazy new missions or stratagems or illuminate. I really thought we would get some cool new thing from the whole SEAF mobilization thing.

the illuminate, new missions and side objectives, lots of new strategems, new enemy types and a significant rebalance patch should be soontm

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Helldivers 3 confirmed

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hwurmp posted:

Helldivers 3 confirmed

Only costs 6000 supercreds!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Next patch will probably be big?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bandaid.friend posted:

Took a recoilless rifle on a bot eight and ran into some gunship fabricators. Squad was trying to blow them up and died a lot cos noone was shooting at the planes for some reason. I took some shots with the rifle and managed a whole lot of hits, which I'm pretty happy about. I wasn't in danger myself, which made it easy, but i couldn't have cleared so many planes with quasar or eat

you know what gun can clear even more gunships even faster??

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tagichatn posted:

Next patch will probably be big?

my conspiracy theory is Sony insisted on the fast pace of warbonds and thus patches to try and cash in on people that would later not be able to play without a PSN account

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Sagebrush posted:

you know what gun can clear even more gunships even faster??

Plop, plop, plop, plop, plop.

Pause

Plop, plop, plop, plop, plop

I thought having four autocannons on a team would leave a with a gap against bots, but it really didn't. Everyone just back shotting tanks and turrets, and hulks just got massacred by volleys of shells to the eye. I think three with AC, one with ammo pack & eats is probably ideal.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WoodrowSkillson posted:

my conspiracy theory is Sony insisted on the fast pace of warbonds and thus patches to try and cash in on people that would later not be able to play without a PSN account

they are still sitting on a bunch of unreleased weapons and armor sets

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The CEO has repeatedly said that Sony did not dictate the pace of Warbonds, they did it to themselves.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The CEO has repeatedly said that Sony did not dictate the pace of Warbonds, they did it to themselves.

that's just what They want you to believe!!!! next thing you know you're gonna start thinking the world is a globe

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I didn't call this out in the title but the jukebox guy apparently shot down a dropship with a Railgun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gki64Fzuyd4&t=4s

There wasn't a SAM site on the map and the other two support weapons around were Autocannons which ricochet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay how do I activate an assisted reload? I thought you just had to stand next to them or crouch alongside then and a prompt appears but the button never appears except maybe once in a blue moon.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Arc Hammer posted:

Okay how do I activate an assisted reload? I thought you just had to stand next to them or crouch alongside then and a prompt appears but the button never appears except maybe once in a blue moon.

you have to wear the backpack and then go up to them while they have the gun out and it will prompt you

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://i.imgur.com/gE28dFs.mp4
Other than the sometimes inconsistent damage (landing the payload directly on a Charger or Bile Titan should be 100% guaranteed kill), the 500 seems fine to me

Arc Hammer posted:

Personally I've been getting more use out of the rocket pods for dealing with large clusters of armored enemies. They're really good.
I really like them on those Extraction missions where there's sometimes a million Bile titans. Being able to call down 3 rocket pods in under a minute does a better job clearing them out/finishing them off than just about anything else.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Arglebargle III posted:

The 500 can't kill bts any more?

You can but you need to hit with the bomb itself. A Bile Titan has 1500 HP. The 500kg projectile does 1400 dmg and the 500kg explosion does 1200 dmg. It used to be that the explosion could kill a Bile Titan by itself. But now you need a direct hit with tip of the bomb.

Another note is 380mm barrage shots cannot one-shot a BT even on a direct hit. The 380mm shots are 450 dmg projectiles that have 1000 dmg explosions. A Bile Titan has 1500 HP.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 21, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jerkface posted:

you have to wear the backpack and then go up to them while they have the gun out and it will prompt you

Seems dumb that you can’t grab out of the shooter’s backpack to reload them. As it is, assisted reloads are so rare

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Are there tips to making a stratagem pokeball stick to an enemy

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Dren posted:

500 kg is fine balance wise but it looks huge and isn’t, which ought to be addressed.

Everyone’s first time using it they say “huh? it didn’t kill anything” then someone pops up and goes “well actually the hitbox of the blast is a cone pointed upwards”

Yea you can't have a stratagem called "big gently caress off bomb" that drops a big gently caress off bomb with a tantalizing delayed explosion that when it does explode shows a hellbomb sized explosion graphic and then give it an AOE radius thats basically the eagle airstrike bomb (the max damage and first falloff tier are slightly larger). Causes cognitive dissonance and "feels wrong" - so just a mismatch between design intent and implementation. The way it blows up is janky too because it can get "blocked" very easily I think due to the explosion shape or something.

Steve Yun posted:

Seems dumb that you can’t grab out of the shooter’s backpack to reload them. As it is, assisted reloads are so rare

Will probably be a QOL fix at some point, as it does not make sense to not work that way.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 21, 2024

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Are there tips to making a stratagem pokeball stick to an enemy
There seems to be an arming timer of sorts to the stickiness; whenever I've successfully stuck a ball to an enemy it's on the down end of its arc. So try to throw from as far away as possible.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I would be very happy with crew reloads of the medium and heavy MGs that use the gunners ammo pool.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

sushibandit posted:

There seems to be an arming timer of sorts to the stickiness; whenever I've successfully stuck a ball to an enemy it's on the down end of its arc. So try to throw from as far away as possible.

there should be a whole new class of strategems that are deliberately sticky.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Steve Yun posted:

i think that basically everyone ever has agreed with this. i don't know why the devs thought that players would be willing to give up their backpack slot in exchange for not playing the game while someone else shoots a cool gun faster

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

there should be a whole new class of strategems that are deliberately sticky.

as far as i know all of them are supposed to be sticky. you are intended to be able to throw the orbital precision strike at a bile titan and connect with it and then the orbital precision strike will hit the bile titan. it's just not working right, believe it or not.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

turn off the TV posted:

i think that basically everyone ever has agreed with this. i don't know why the devs thought that players would be willing to give up their backpack slot in exchange for not playing the game while someone else shoots a cool gun faster

It worked in Helldivers 1. But Helldivers 1 was a one screen top down game. Everyone is always on screen in helldivers 1. It doesn't work in Helldivers 2 when half the team is hidden on the other side of a hill or building, and loner Steve is on the other side of the map trying to solid snake some objectives on the side.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Even then, how often does it make sense to have two guys with autocannons team up so one autocannon can shoot faster? wouldn’t it just make more sense to have both guys shoot their autocannons at it?

Like ok, I guess assisted reload gives better sustain in theory, but if whatever you’re shooting can survive 20 autocannon rounds aren’t you hosed anyway?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

skasion posted:

Even then, how often does it make sense to have two guys with autocannons team up so one autocannon can shoot faster? wouldn’t it just make more sense to have both guys shoot their autocannons at it?

Like ok, I guess assisted reload gives better sustain in theory, but if whatever you’re shooting can survive 20 autocannon rounds aren’t you hosed anyway?

it seems almost entirely pointless with the autocannon but i think one assisted reloader with the recoilless rifle fires like 10x faster or something and that's pretty significant

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

RR and Spear both get an insane ROF buff if you get team reloaded, AC does too (you can basically fire nonstop since it will reload 5 once you hit 5 or less ammo) but again, pointless unless you can reload off the guys backpack

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I can see it being a thing just for quick RR reloads, but its a little clunky for that atm. Id probably just tell my teammate to cover me while I reload instead.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

turn off the TV posted:

it seems almost entirely pointless with the autocannon but i think one assisted reloader with the recoilless rifle fires like 10x faster or something and that's pretty significant

Oh yeah, I forgot weapons other than the autocannon existed

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

skasion posted:

The point is less the speed and more that there wouldn't be any gaps in your fire as you are busy reloading.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

golden bubble posted:

You can but you need to hit with the bomb itself. A Bile Titan has 1500 HP. The 500kg projectile does 1400 dmg and the 500kg explosion does 1200 dmg. It used to be that the explosion could kill a Bile Titan by itself. But now you need a direct hit with tip of the bomb.

Another note is 380mm barrage shots cannot one-shot a BT even on a direct hit. The 380mm shots are 450 dmg projectiles that have 1000 dmg explosions. A Bile Titan has 1500 HP.

Huh. I guess this explains why I could have sworn a direct hit with a Precision Strike used to oneshot a BT and now no longer does. When did this change? With the Meridia colony patch?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

If you've got an assisted reloader with the AC, that's when you flip the switch for full-auto mode.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

skasion posted:

i've done it a few times at extract against truly prodigious amounts of bots or spewers because one AC that does not need to go offline to reload at all is more consistent suppression than two ACs firing a few rounds then reloading for a couple seconds

LuiCypher posted:

If you've got an assisted reloader with the AC, that's when you flip the switch for full-auto mode.

you can also do this and you have the power of god and anime on your side for about five seconds

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
In my two weeks playing this, any time someone threw a 380 it killed more teammates than heavies

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

skasion posted:

One of the groups I play with gets some mileage out of it. Basically one of our dudes brings the MG and no other backpack, and then picks up a spare backpack as soon as the stratagems are up. In a pinch, he can jump on for assisted reloads, or swap backpacks if the person using the recoilless is low/out of ammo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i don't think that there's any situation where one autocanon reloading very quickly would be better than two autocanons each shooting. you either kill everything in a few hits or you didn't kill it because you missed the tiny weak point you can actually damage and shooting fast doesn't help in that situation.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

skasion posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot weapons other than the autocannon existed

This is a lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Steve Yun posted:

In my two weeks playing this, any time someone threw a 380 it killed more teammates than heavies

You're supposed to throw it at a heavy base or a command bunker and then wait 30 seconds to sweep up whatever, if anything, remaining. That's kind of its only use-case. Using them on groups of enemies-- heavy or otherwise-- is a terrible idea.