Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Man, Durkon looks weird without fullplate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I didn't notice it before but in the panel after he's thrown out, in the little window the spirit is watching the memory through, you can see them throwing armor after him. I'd wondered before where he got the equipment he was wearing while camping out.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Dolash posted:

I didn't notice it before but in the panel after he's thrown out, in the little window the spirit is watching the memory through, you can see them throwing armor after him. I'd wondered before where he got the equipment he was wearing while camping out.

That's also where he got the pound-key shaped bruise on his face--they threw his hammer right at his face when he asked for it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Can you recharge charges on a staff?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played in ages but I think not.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Forgotten Realms setting allowed for staves to be recharged. There was even a major wizard character who's gimmick was always using a powerful staff.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Who What Now posted:

I'm pretty sure that would be clear evidence that Durkula had attacked other priests protected by the Godsmoot, thus invalidating his protection and possibly also Hel's vote, making the whole ruse a waste.

Also it takes, like, a week for victims to rise as vampires and Durkula has very limited charges on his staff.

The people he attacked were the Creed of the Stone people, weren't they? I remember Durkon specifically talking about ow they were exempt from the protection of the meeting.

Also, that means they weren't the demigods' reps, since they just worship elemental earth. Clearly whatever Hel's plan for influencing them is, it's not vampirization.

...Which would mean Durkula hosed up Hel's plan entirely by himself on what I assume was a whim, since there's no Stone Creed ushers around to call in the reps.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Noonsaliwah posted:

Fun comparison on the increase in art effort-

The panel where the dwarves kick out Durkon in the most recent comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1007.html

Is a remake of a panel from strip 305: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0305.html

I think that high-quality remake was also used as a page in the 2015 calendar, so he recycled that art for the strip.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Carrasco posted:

That's also where he got the pound-key shaped bruise on his face--they threw his hammer right at his face when he asked for it.

i'm sorry, but it's the hashtag key now

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It's not like he's going to have to save the charges for anything...

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's an optional rule in the 3.5 DMG iirc.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sure, but it costs gold and xp.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AnoHito posted:

Good point

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Dolash posted:

The (almost) full scene is also in The Origin of PCs.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AnoHito posted:

That's not the issue, the issue is potentially not having enough charges in the first place to raise multiple vampires.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Who What Now posted:

That's not the issue, the issue is potentially not having enough charges in the first place to raise multiple vampires.

Maybe his "studying" of the staff to get the Protection from Daylight spell out of it was actually a cover for recharging it?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

bigpolar posted:

Forgotten Realms setting allowed for staves to be recharged. There was even a major wizard character who's gimmick was always using a powerful staff.

Yes, but we don't really need to hear about Elminster's sexual exploits in detail.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Green Intern posted:

Yes, but we don't really need to hear about Elminster's sexual exploits in detail.

Blackstaff Arunsun was the staff user not Elminster.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Blackstaff Arunsun was the staff user not Elminster.

Nobody said Elminster would be the one holding the staff.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zonekeeper posted:

Maybe his "studying" of the staff to get the Protection from Daylight spell out of it was actually a cover for recharging it?

There's no good reason to think that should be the case. But we do know that there being limited charges to the staff is a real concern because Malack said exactly that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is...is Roy dead? I thought Harm would bring him to 1hp, and it looks like he's taking more damage in the last panel. :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Phenotype posted:

Is...is Roy dead? I thought Harm would bring him to 1hp, and it looks like he's taking more damage in the last panel. :ohdear:

Nah, I think he's being level drained. His eyes aren't x'd out yet.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

:spergin:

Harm can't reduce someone below 1 HP, but it doesn't automatically do that much damage; it does 10 points of damage per level, with a max of 150. Roy is level 14, so with a decent con score he is probably badly wounded but not at 1 HP. Roy also has a decent Wisdom score, so his Will save is better than a normal fighter's (though not by much.) Making the Will save will reduce the damage by half.

:spergin:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
If Roy made his save on that Harm, that's "only" 75 damage; he could still have more than one HP left afterwards.

e:f;b

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Level drain is a side effect of a slam attack, and the slam attack is some amount of damage, either a d6 or d10 plus strength I think.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1008.html

This just keeps getting better and better!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Pretty good.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know if thats a "rules joke" but its a joke about how the rules work in this comic, so there you go, D&D references still exist as the basis of jokes.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Can you potion away level drain?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't know if thats a "rules joke" but its a joke about how the rules work in this comic, so there you go, D&D references still exist as the basis of jokes.

Good :rolldice:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

RentACop posted:

Sure if you got the right potion.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

RentACop posted:

Restoration potion? Pretty sure that's a thing. Level drain starts becoming all too common as you get up there in xp, so having a way to counteract it on hand is always good.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Well I was sorta right.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Cthulhuchan posted:

Restoration potion? Pretty sure that's a thing. Level drain starts becoming all too common as you get up there in xp, so having a way to counteract it on hand is always good.

Plus, Roy is not an idiot. Even if he trusted Durkon competently beforehand, carrying something around with you to restore drained levels when traveling with a vampire, especially if said vampire was also your party cleric, should be common sense.

e X fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 9, 2015

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think it's this fight that finally sold me on the new art style.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

e X posted:

Plus, Roy is not an idiot. even if he trusted Durkon competently beforehand, carrying something around with you to restore drained levels when traveling with a vampire, especially if said vampire was also your party cleric.

On the other hand, they haven't had that much downtime since Durkon got turned. If gnometown didn't have restoration potions, Roy would kind of be poo poo out of luck.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Of course it could just be a healing potion of some kind (note the red color) to try and fix some of the Harm damage Roy just took.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What does Durkon think he just accomplished with hels might by the way? All he did was lower his AC and give some attack and damage bonuses, but any attack he has will be peanuts compared to his spells.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Well it literally puts him back in range to be able to do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

greatn posted:

What does Durkon think he just accomplished with hels might by the way? All he did was lower his AC and give some attack and damage bonuses, but any attack he has will be peanuts compared to his spells.

He might be running low on spells, or he's looking to have those attack bonuses to be able to hit with more inflict and harm spells. Those still require a touch attack. Plus it looks cool.