Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
wait that's like 25c? Where on earth do you live that people see 25c temps and nope out of leaving the house? That's like the perfect temperature for just wearing shorts and a t shirt. I set my aircon to 25c in Summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

wait that's like 25c? Where on earth do you live that people see 25c temps and nope out of leaving the house? That's like the perfect temperature for just wearing shorts and a t shirt. I set my aircon to 25c in Summer.

California. So you'd THINK these people would be used to it. But sun make skin water and skin water stink bad so no go outside until sun go bye bye and stink water stops appearing on skin. 8-9 pm will have more people swarming the store then the 4 hours before it. And its gonna be like this all the way until loving October. Drives me up the loving wall cause it means my shift gets harder at the end and these locusts clear out the department and the next day management accuses the closers of leaving stuff empty.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That’s ridiculous. My parents would have chewed me out for wasting electricity if I even put a fan on when the temperature was under 30c, much less aircon (not that we had aircon when I was a kid - aircon ownership has only really started rising in the past 15-20 years or so, and even now it’s only at around 75%). Hell the overwhelming majority of people in Australia don’t even have central ac, they just have 1 or maybe 2 units in the master bedroom and maybe the living room if you’re lucky. Sweat is just a natural consequence of it being summer. Half the time at work my shirt looks like I tipped a bucket of water over myself.

Fun fact: in highschool, when I hit grade 11 in 2003 my school decided to try something new: we would be given permission to remove our ties while on school property, if the temperature went above 35. Still had to wear them on the way to and from school though.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Leal posted:

California. So you'd THINK these people would be used to it. But sun make skin water and skin water stink bad so no go outside until sun go bye bye and stink water stops appearing on skin. 8-9 pm will have more people swarming the store then the 4 hours before it. And its gonna be like this all the way until loving October. Drives me up the loving wall cause it means my shift gets harder at the end and these locusts clear out the department and the next day management accuses the closers of leaving stuff empty.

At least when that happens at Costco they have physical proof because they count the people coming in and put it on paper, so they can go SEE, WE GOT REALLY BUSY LAST NIGHT.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Leal posted:

Well if california had enough potable water to afford a second shower for the day...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I suppose the upside of a Brisbane summer is that even late at night it's still quite often going to be 30c and super humid, so people can't just wait it out and then slam the shops.

Actually I'd argue that the opposite phenomenon is true here - because lots of people don't have aircon and most of the ones who do only have it in 1 or 2 rooms, you'll often get people crowding into shopping malls and the like during the day because it's cooler than being at home. I remember once going to the local shopping centre in the late afternoon and all the hallways were crowded with kids lying around on the floor doing their homework.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I've been working eight and a half hour shifts on my long days the past month or so. Maybe work doesn't count a lunch as part of a shift. I do, on the basis of gently caress you.

Next week? My long days are eight AM to five thirty PM.

I am displeased.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Lord Bude posted:

I have my apartment's heating/cooling set to 69f because anything over 70 is bullshit. But I am from the north and am a winter person, so my ideal temp is like 15-20f.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Hell yah :ca:

Having worked in the cold for so long I overheat at about 70

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jingleheimer posted:

At least when that happens at Costco they have physical proof because they count the people coming in and put it on paper, so they can go SEE, WE GOT REALLY BUSY LAST NIGHT.

Its frustrating because all members of staff complain about it, checking sales numbers should show an increase of sales at night, we got cameras that they can just look at and see the volume of people in the building...

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Yawgmoth posted:

I have my apartment's heating/cooling set to 69f because anything over 70 is bullshit. But I am from the north and am a winter person, so my ideal temp is like 15-20f.

I live in Wisconsin and heat my house to 66 in the winter during the day (59 at night) but I cannot imagine paying for cooling it anything below 76 during the day and 72 at night, it costs an extra hundred+ a month as it is just for that, and we have a relatively efficient house.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

shortspecialbus posted:

I live in Wisconsin and heat my house to 66 in the winter during the day (59 at night) but I cannot imagine paying for cooling it anything below 76 during the day and 72 at night, it costs an extra hundred+ a month as it is just for that, and we have a relatively efficient house.
I live in a relatively new apartment building, but the biggest way to save on cooling the place down is having all utilities baked into my rent. :v:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Yawgmoth posted:

I live in a relatively new apartment building, but the biggest way to save on cooling the place down is having all utilities baked into my rent. :v:

A fair point!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Genuinely curious. What's the average shift for y'all? My 'long' days are typically eight and a half hours long with two ten minute breaks ( paid ) and a half hour lunch ( unpaid ). My shorts are six with a ten minute paid break.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Genuinely curious. What's the average shift for y'all? My 'long' days are typically eight and a half hours long with two ten minute breaks ( paid ) and a half hour lunch ( unpaid ). My shorts are six with a ten minute paid break.

4x 10h nights (well 10.5h, there's a 30 minute unpaid break in there, and a 30 minute paid one). But that's Amazon for ya.

And right now a 12 hour night shift tacked onto that every other week.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm full time closer so I'm always scheduled 8.5 hours (8 hours plus unpaid lunch). That shift comes with two paid 15 minute breaks.

In reality I almost always leave after 7 hours and my boss seems fine with that.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

6 to 8 hrs typically. Lately since They've been cutting our hours to make up for corporate deciding to over-hire during the pandemic, I've been working 4 to 6hrs.

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 8, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cephalopods posted:

I'm full time closer so I'm always scheduled 8.5 hours (8 hours plus unpaid lunch). That shift comes with two paid 15 minute breaks.

In reality I almost always leave after 7 hours and my boss seems fine with that.

Same except I never leave early, and I work Mornings

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Alkydere posted:

4x 10h nights (well 10.5h, there's a 30 minute unpaid break in there, and a 30 minute paid one). But that's Amazon for ya.

And right now a 12 hour night shift tacked onto that every other week.

You remind me of that goon post from a long while ago where all these planes were trying to one up each other with their airspeed checks from traffic control.

You're clearly the Blackbird in this reference

E: I mean, it's a mirror of sorts though because you're being exploited but :v:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 8, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rainbow Knight posted:

You remind me of that goon post from a long while ago where all these planes were trying to one up each other with their airspeed checks from traffic control.

Hear it from the pilot himself:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyHH9G9et0

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

that's rad

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rainbow Knight posted:

You can have the 12h overtime for me if you want. Just come in and work from 7 PM to 7:30 AM for me. Please. :v:

And hah! If you're posting in this thread you're being exploited.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Kinda cheating since I'm not really retail (warehouse), but our "standard" shifts are 4-on-4-off 12 hour shifts. The old guard gets 5x10 M-F, and a few of us get specialized shifts (usually because we'll work weekends, I'm 4 on 3 off 10hr.)

And then there are some crazy people on a 2-2-3-2-2-3 rotation with minimum 12hr shifts.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Alkydere posted:

You can have the 12h overtime for me if you want. Just come in and work from 7 PM to 7:30 AM for me. Please. :v:

And hah! If you're posting in this thread you're being exploited.

:argh: touche

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Rainbow Knight posted:

During my (brief) stint at mail order pharmacy, we were working 4:00 AM to 2:15 PM, Monday through Saturday. :smithicide:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Preechr posted:

During my (brief) stint at mail order pharmacy, we were working 4:00 AM to 2:15 PM, Monday through Saturday. :smithicide:

Now you're the superstar

Sorry lol

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

My shifts are 2 PM to 11 PM with two paid 15 minute breaks and an unpaid hour lunch. I only get Thursday and Monday off.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

You're all the SR-71's of my heart

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hi thread.

I moved from retail to work at home call center. Been good overall. On the topic of hours.

So I joined on the last new hire training shift in March, 3 months after the yearly shift bids. So literally , I missed all the potential good shifts , and everyone got their PTO before me (formally).

My initial shift assigned was Tuesday to Saturday, 12-9pm my time (the latest the will work me is 9 local time).

Thankfully, they also were doing a 4 day work trial and gave us the option to apply for it. I did and got it , with my second choice of shifts.

New (and current) shift: Friday to Monday: 9pm to 8pm my time.

So far. Well, I actually like it. I get 3 days off every week. Working 2 extra hours for 4 days Is fine. I lose my weekends, but i already lost most of them anyway, and I’ll just use vacation time when I need them. My supervisor will override PTO at least when need be.

So anyway, I work a burst shift of 40 hours in 4 days then off 3 days, it’s chaotic but not too bad.

Bad part though: totally have had issues losing my voice working over the phone and I naturally talk to loud, and I def have some carpal tunnel with my left wrist from typing. Rip.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I think I had the opposite experience from a lot of people itt, I worked a "call center" (GM for WoW) for seven years and there is not enough money in the world to make me go back. I went back to restaurants to escape from phones and while I'm pretty sure I work in the elemental plane of chaos I genuinely feel better at the end of the day by doing something physical. Going back to a desk answering tickets/emails or god forbid, phones, would spike my already crippling anxiety into the stratosphere.

Content from the Truckstop Popeyes in the gateway to Hell: our useless old AGM finally succumbed to our growing mutiny and quit, which puts me back on nights. please for the love of god someone on days please thaw the loving tenders, I will shank you people because I don't have time to do it if I'm not opening

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Not a question about retail, per se, but i know there are a few Amazon warehouse people in here.

Do you know if it benefits the drivers in any meaningful way to submit compliments using the website after a delivery? I'd be happy to do it if it does

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Someone asked if they can use WIC to buy flowers.

Another customer got angry because the price of the flowers weren't lower than what was on the tags on each bouquet, they thought they should've been lower because the label that we used to put "Assorted flowers. Prices vary" had a "temporary reduction" on the top. Because we just grabbed a random sign for the display that was gonna last 1 day

I love you mom, just not enough to spend my own money or not a discount

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 10, 2021

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Leal posted:

Someone asked if they can use WIC to buy flowers.

I'm working on something Social Services-adjacent and I would also like to know if someone can use WIC to buy flowers, especially since I vaguely remember selling some kind of typically decorative flower bud as an edible produce item at Safeway c. 2007.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RoeCocoa posted:

I'm working on something Social Services-adjacent and I would also like to know if someone can use WIC to buy flowers, especially since I vaguely remember selling some kind of typically decorative flower bud as an edible produce item at Safeway c. 2007.

It isn't.

The new guy at work asked me if today was mother's day. He goes off Mexico rules and only considers the 10th mother's day. I asked if he even said anything to his mom and he said no.

Near the end of the shift he went onto the intercom to tell me he was going on break for some reason. So I got on the intercom "Have a good break. By the way, please call your mom and tell her happy mother's day"

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

ah, intercom banter. I miss it. All my store's current intercom-users are either too have-their-poo poo-together or too shy to gently caress with each other over a PA system

actually on that note, phones! I almost never answer my department phones because we usually only get three rings before a call is bounced to the nearest manager. If I'm on the sales floor it takes me at least two rings to determine whether it's deli's phone ringing or mine, then another couple for me to get to that phone and pick it up

please just give wireless phones to the fresh departments and I promise I won't be the one who loses ours in the baler

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cephalopods posted:

please just give wireless phones to the fresh departments and I promise I won't be the one who loses ours in the baler

Someone always goes home with it in their pocket and isn't scheduled to come in for four days.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Leal posted:

So I got on the intercom "Have a good break. By the way, please call your mom and tell her happy mother's day"
I bet you made a minimum of a dozen people go "oh poo poo, that's today isn't it?"

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Yesterday, I rotated back to the meat department. I work a different department every other day. It's fun. I have no idea what's happening at any given time.

I came in, started to set up. New guy I ain't ever seen before came in and said, "hey, are you my closer tonight?"

Looked at his badge. It said 'perishable manager'. "Guess so," I told him. Then I asked what happened to the other manager.

"Oh, he's on vacation."

Alrighty then.

He was polite, and he wore his mask at all times, even in the back room. I specifically thanked him for this because few other employees did. Confused, he asked, "Doesn't everyone?"

No. No they do not. And because I so rarely get to talk to a manager from another store, I started asking him questions. Is this supposed to be like this? Do you do this? Is this normal? And every time he'd be a little mystified and respond with curious horror and confusion. It was an absolute delight showing things to someone in a position of leadership and having them be like 'wow that's hosed why do they do that' or telling him 'yeah they fired a guy for this reason' and having him go 'that's wrong'.

Having my feelings validated by someone from the same company was like draining an emotional abscess.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Midjack posted:

Someone always goes home with it in their pocket and isn't scheduled to come in for four days.

I've done this with my department cordless, only I was opening the next day so no one else knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Despite being told we have three new hires, I have only seen one of them. And then told we have four new hires, but somehow the work keeps piling up, we're expected to stay late, and dispatch doesn't ever remove poo poo from our routes that usually keeps us one to two hours over.

Got an email from the boss today that we have three new openings. I am sus.

And I will be taking tomorrow off: got my second Moderna shot today. And I texted my dispatch at 1030, and a bit after noon, and again at 3 that I CANNOT STAY LATE because I am getting my vaccine shot. Did they remove anything from me? NOPE. Did my boss call me after hours? YES. Did I pick up? NOPE.

I mean I did cancel one of the orders (it was loving equipment being moved from store to store, and we do not do that. Now if the store packages, say, a computer monitor in a box, we will take the box, cause we don't open the loving boxes, but having a corner cutter device shoved into a paper bag and taped half closed is not the same thing) and the manager of the store got pissy and wanted me to stay for her to pack it. And then another order (20 pieces) I just did not do, and signed and logged out with it on my route still. I probably should have called my dispatch but after all the loving texts, and the fact the dude usually doesn't pick up, or does and hangs up, and I was already pressed for time, I look forward to getting a Talking To soon.

Manager also likes to remind us that our end time is fluid. Which works to a point; I don't expect to be off at 4pm right on the dot every day. But when it pushes to 4:30, daily, or later, well, someone needs to check the schedule. Oh, are we short staffed? And autorouter sucks? And most of us have to park across parking lots because it's so busy there is no close parking?

It is a mystery!

edit: also my boss is anti-vax so lmao to telling her weeks ago why I'd need tomorrow off. An assistant manager warned me not to give her notice because she believes the vaccines are bullshit.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 13, 2021