Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Also, Crockett Pilot: You're a 2/1 pilot in an 85 tonner with Jump 3.

What I'm saying is: you should Death from Above.

But of course.

Not turn 1, though, unless you are suggesting I DFA my Lance mates. Which you might be, you sneaky cardassian you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Brandy Collins posted:

Not turn 1, though, unless you are suggesting I DFA my Lance mates.

This would be the greatest thing ever. Show the Atlas why having a big skull head is a stupid concept.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Brandy Collins posted:

But of course.

Not turn 1, though, unless you are suggesting I DFA my Lance mates. Which you might be, you sneaky cardassian you.

I have jump jets, I'll DFA that helicopter! :derp:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

AtomikKrab posted:

It should be there, also if they did stay on, during melee the mech could just roll over and squash the BA (in fact if dismounted ba are in the same hex as a prone mech it can use a special autohitting attack to basically do exactly that.)

Huh... That is handy to know.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 25, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mezzanon posted:

I have jump jets, I'll DFA that helicopter! :derp:

it sadly is out of DFA range. but if one ends up in DFA range, :black101:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KnoxZone posted:

The Stalker is already the slowest mech on the field. Having it even slower next turn would greatly slow down the Companies offense, giving the OpFor extra time to consolidate. It would also reduce the chance of the Stalker (a mech with very potent mid/long range firepower) of scoring a hit next turn.

Really, you should try to overheat as rarely as possible. Getting one extra shot is generally not worth the massive penalties you will force upon yourself. TSM mechs are a notable exception.

But there's no reason not to heat up to four, right? Shots fired now are generally worth more than shots fired in the future.

Also, I think people are generally misinterpreting what I said earlier to mean "go up to eight heat" rather than "based on your loadout, looks like you'll be able to deal efficient damage at 8, 5, 2, or 0 heat as you choose."

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

But there's no reason not to heat up to four, right? Shots fired now are generally worth more than shots fired in the future.

Also, I think people are generally misinterpreting what I said earlier to mean "go up to eight heat" rather than "based on your loadout, looks like you'll be able to deal efficient damage at 8, 5, 2, or 0 heat as you choose."

Infernos or flamers are a reason why not to go up even to 4. If you think you might take an engine hit is another.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

AtomikKrab posted:

Infernos or flamers are a reason why not to go up even to 4. If you think you might take an engine hit is another.

Those are reasons, but not really good reasons. Yes, you can get a heat spike from enemy action, but that's just all the more reason to keep it down around 4...getting spiked to 7 just slows you down a bit. Annoying, but rarely fatal.

Four heat is pretty safe no matter how you cut it, since the worst case scenario doesn't even kill you. It just slows you down and maybe applies a minor penalty to hit.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Those are reasons, but not really good reasons. Yes, you can get a heat spike from enemy action, but that's just all the more reason to keep it down around 4...getting spiked to 7 just slows you down a bit. Annoying, but rarely fatal.

Four heat is pretty safe no matter how you cut it, since the worst case scenario doesn't even kill you. It just slows you down and maybe applies a minor penalty to hit.

True, then there is the age of plasma rifles and those can ruin your day with 10 damage and maxing out the heat spiking scale (I think it is 15 more).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

AtomikKrab posted:

True, then there is the age of plasma rifles and those can ruin your day with 10 damage and maxing out the heat spiking scale (I think it is 15 more).

Sure, but most of the mechs in that era have double heat sinks or better through the wazoo, so you need something on the order of a plasma weapon to get an enemy mech to get any heat at all.

Honestly, that's one of my big complaints with level 2 and especially level 3 play...heat becomes virtually irrelevant.

No plasma on the table here, though, since those weapons won't even be invented for decades.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

jng2058 posted:

No plasma on the table here, though, since those weapons won't even be invented for decades.

Neither will HPPC's for that matter. Obviously, stuff is going to be introduced in a timescale that fits PTN's canon and how well he think the equipment may play out for the campaigns. While I doubt we are about to see the debut of Plasma Rifles/Cannons, don't just write stuff off because the canon version came much later.

Also, the double heat sink issue may be true for a number of designs that really are built to be heat efficient, but with the expanded loadouts of many post 3050's designs, the heat curves can be extremely high. In particular they are devastating against anything running TSM, and they can give fits to flashbulbs. Throwing heat around isn't always about forcing ammo explosions or shutdowns, but often about ensuring that your enemy can't use his high heat weaponry on the following turn (or decides not to use it that turn, in fear of getting hit into shutdown/etc. range.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Does anyone have a link to one of PTNs posts where he explains his custom firing arc rules? I think he posted about it at least twice, maybe more, but there's sooo many PTN posts to comb through, so I'm hoping someone's got it bookmarked.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Leperflesh posted:

Does anyone have a link to one of PTNs posts where he explains his custom firing arc rules? I think he posted about it at least twice, maybe more, but there's sooo many PTN posts to comb through, so I'm hoping someone's got it bookmarked.

Here you go.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

SageSepth posted:

Alright so you and I take T4, I doubt we need anymore shooters for a scout tank right?
It's probably going to die with the two of you shooting at it, but I don't like the idea of splitting lances too much, so I'll follow you and assist you against that scout.

Y5 CTF-1X Cataphract
I'm going to move from 1633 to 1330 and take a shot at T4 with my 2 Medium Lasers and AC/10.

Contingency
if V3 is in range of my PPC, I will torso-twist to the right so that both it and T4 are considered in my frontal arc of fire, and I fire at V3 with my Right Arm-mounted PPC.
T4 is my primary target, given that it would be embarassing to miss it at this range, and if V3 is fated to be hit, it will be hit regardless of an additional +1 malus (if my calculations are correct, I should hit on a 9 or more).

\/\/\/\/\/\/
Edit:
or I could just use my AC/10: I noticed that I have 20 rounds, and given that I have basic IS tech, I might as well shoot them off before they blow up in my torso. :v:
Besides, that scout tank is being shot at by two other 'mechs (one from point-blank range), so even if they miss, my lasers and AC/10 should be enough. That and it would be hilarious if my PPC actually hits that Donar (given that I miscalculated and it's actually +11 TH), and I can't pass up that opportunity. :keke:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 25, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

radintorov posted:

It's probably going to die with the two of you shooting at it, but I don't like the idea of splitting lances too much, so I'll follow you and assist you against that scout.

Y5 CTF-1X Cataphract
I'm going to move from 1633 to 1330 and take a shot at T4 with my 2 Medium Lasers.

Contingency
if V3 is in range of my PPC, I will torso-twist to the right so that both it and T4 are considered in my frontal arc of fire, and I fire at V3 with my Right Arm-mounted PPC.
T4 is my primary target, given that it would be embarassing to miss it at this range, and if V3 is fated to be hit, it will be hit regardless of an additional +1 malus (if my calculations are correct, I should hit on a 9 or more).

PPC the tank, as a general rule do not split your fire you want to ensure your enemy is dead, not merely wounded. an injured tank can still probably alpha you.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Speed is life. Overheating past 4 means you're already dead.

(As in, as a general guideline, don't do it unless you are already dead.)

The Flashman has armor, but the XL engine means it can't take too many hits. The difference between 5/8 and 4/6 is huge.

My general reasons for overheating mechs are:

It's probably dead already.
It can jump and I plan to jump out of LOS the next turn to cool off(jump movement isn't reduced by heat.)
It isn't moving anyways and isn't near infernos or flamers.
And, last, but not least, I am bad at battletech.

Basically, unless you have a good reason behind any move, especially overheating, your move probably falls under the last.

Don't worry. We all do it. The dice will make sure you learn from it.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Wait, what? We went from a Death Commandos mission to the Death Commandos retroactively being dissolved and invading a world that borders clan territory? The Capellan Confederation is already struggling in a two-front war. How do the supply lines for that operation even work out? Do the invaders contract civilian merchant shipping in the Draconis Suns or what? What are they going to do in the event of a successful capture of the planet, aside from taking any clan technology with them? I mean, they can't possibly maintain control so far away from the main territory of the Confederation for any significant amount of time. Wouldn't those significant resources (even if they're 'outcasts') have been better invested in the conquest of a world that could actually be held afterwards?

Sorry to be so negative; :( I know you wanted to send a strong signal against the assholish behaviour that was building up in the thread, but without further background information, this sudden change in scenarios strains believability to a painful degree, even in a pulpy giant robot setting. Is there any more long-term planning from the CC to this operation than we've seen yet? That would be a great relief.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

Felime posted:

Speed is life.

So does that mean if you go slow you die? Or is it when you stop?

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gimmick Account posted:

Wait, what? We went from a Death Commandos mission to the Death Commandos retroactively being dissolved and invading a world that borders clan territory? The Capellan Confederation is already struggling in a two-front war. How do the supply lines for that operation even work out? Do the invaders contract civilian merchant shipping in the Draconis Suns or what? What are they going to do in the event of a successful capture of the planet, aside from taking any clan technology with them? I mean, they can't possibly maintain control so far away from the main territory of the Confederation for any significant amount of time. Wouldn't those significant resources (even if they're 'outcasts') have been better invested in the conquest of a world that could actually be held afterwards?

Sorry to be so negative; :( I know you wanted to send a strong signal against the assholish behaviour that was building up in the thread, but without further background information, this sudden change in scenarios strains believability to a painful degree, even in a pulpy giant robot setting. Is there any more long-term planning from the CC to this operation than we've seen yet? That would be a great relief.

Its more likely to be a raid or probing action. Probaby to pick up some shiny new toys to bring back or reverse engineer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gimmick Account posted:

Get a bunch of dishonored commandos you'd ordinarily have to execute. Let them keep their battlemechs and support equipment (dropships / jumpships). Tell them to go hit a world in Clan space, knock out as many of the defending Clanners as possible and steal everything that looks like it could potentially have Clan technology in it, or die in the attempt. Simultaneously piss off both the Clanners and Hanse Davion. Revel in Capellan superiority. Return to the Capellan Confederation for a decision on whether or not the survivors will still be executed.

With the AFFS and DCMS in total disarray, noticing that the 1st Kestrels have somehow sprouted a 4th battalion en route to the front lines would be next to impossible.

Hanse Davion is currently coordinating hundreds of DropShips and JumpShips. It's easy to sneak a single ship into that mess. Hell, it worked for the pirates who hit New Avalon.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 25, 2012

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

So it's really only for propaganda and salvage? That's, uh... expensive.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Gimmick Account posted:

So what you're saying here is that you're not sanguine about the direction of the thread? :ninja:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gimmick Account posted:

Only if they fail.

It wouldn't be the first time Justin Xiang took a stupid gamble without his Liege Lord knowing.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Talmonis posted:

So what you're saying here is that you're not sanguine about the direction of the thread? :ninja:

I know, I know, and that's exactly what I didn't want my post to sound like. My life doesn't revolve around Battletech, I've just grown very fond of this thread. And this one spontaneous decision still sticks out to me like a sore thumb.

Oh well, only time will tell if my worries are unfounded. Until then - Move along, nothing to see here...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gimmick Account posted:

The Death Commandos are supposed to be the best of the best to the power of eight or nine. They've hosed up and let the chancellor get killed - the Capellans HAVE to do something with them. They can execute them or stick them in a stockade, but that's a waste of highly trained and fanatical troops. This way the Capellans either get some tech and some cache from taking on Clanners, or they get to say they committed their most elite troops to aid the war efforts against he clans, and why can't everyone just get along?

Seems pretty canny to me. You've just got to hope they don't go all "suicide by cop" on you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fil5000 posted:

The Death Commandos are supposed to be the best of the best to the power of eight or nine. They've hosed up and let the chancellor get killed - the Capellans HAVE to do something with them. They can execute them or stick them in a stockade, but that's a waste of highly trained and fanatical troops.

Of course, the Death Commandos are pretty smart too. I hope they realize that their new Chancelor is batshit insane, take their Clan tech and become the Inner Sphere version of the A-Team. :allears:

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 25, 2012

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I thought that Romano was fairly stable in PTNs setting thanks to the "no Candace" setting being turned on? I mean, as stable as any Successor Lord anyway.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Zaodai posted:

Of course, the Death Commandos are pretty smart too. I hope they realize that their new Chancelor is batshit insane, take their Clan tech and become the Inner Sphere version of the A-Team. :allhears:

Thanks for that, now I've got the goddamn theme in my head. :suicide:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Gimmick Account posted:

In fairness, Clantech is immensely valuable right now, especially to a Successor State that isn't on the Clan border. A battalion of mechs, three Unions, and a jumpship is a small price to pay.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

KnoxZone posted:

In fairness, Clantech is immensely valuable right now, especially to a Successor State that isn't on the Clan border. A battalion of mechs, three Unions, and a jumpship is a small price to pay.
If this is the start of the clan wars then clan technology is completely and utterly foreign to everyone and is actually more valuable to sell than it is to operate.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
...Huh. So we really did combine the Death Commandos and the 1st Kestrel assault, huh? That's... actually kind of hilarious. Victory will probably wind up helping out against the clans, at least. Meanwhile, the Draconis Suns will probably wonder what's going on with that for a while before they realize that... Nope, it really isn't part of their team. Hopefully, that will be after we finish our little section of the campaign, so they're forced to wonder what just happened over there. As opposed to them redirecting forces over here if their campaign goes well and forcing us to deal with them and the Horses simultaneously.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

Of course, the Death Commandos are pretty smart too. I hope they realize that their new Chancelor is batshit insane, take their Clan tech and become the Inner Sphere version of the A-Team. :allears:

That's the Lyran Irregulars and if the goddamn Death Commandos try to jack that I am gonna be pissed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's no A-team in Battletech because the real A-team was full of good guys who never ever killed anyone (despite using guns a lot).

Especially the death commandos can't be the A-team because of that.

This is more like... if Stalin kicked a regiment of his best guys (who have previously been besieging Warsaw) out of his army for allowing Lenin to get killed, and they're trying to regain their honor by attacking Nazi SS reserve troops behind enemy lines, or something. (Yes I'm sure I just made several gross historical errors but you get what I mean.)

Or uh... if a bunch of evil minions let Doctor Doom get killed, so they're regaining their honor by attacking some Skrulls.

Or wait I know: if a cell of Al'Queda elites is responsible for failing to protect Osama bin Laden, so they're regaining their honor by attacking Hezbollah somewhere in Iran.

Okay these analogies are horrible I'll shut up now.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well there's no real evil version of the A-Team, it was the most appropriate analogy. Plus, it would require one of their members actually be a big black guy with a mohawk despite being in Space China. He would be fine with using dropships, but scared of interstellar jumps.

Wacky hijinks ensue.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Zaodai posted:

Well there's no real evil version of the A-Team, it was the most appropriate analogy. Plus, it would require one of their members actually be a big black guy with a mohawk despite being in Space China. He would be fine with using dropships, but scared of interstellar jumps.

Wacky hijinks ensue.

Glorious Space Nippon has black samurai so I don't see this as being much of a stretch.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
If this goes south, at least try to crater the runway before pulling out/dying horribly.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Preechr posted:

If this goes south, at least try to crater the runway before pulling out/dying horribly.

Everyone die on the runway. Your corpses will count as rough terrain and make flight ops impossible :v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Casualty posted:

Everyone die Stackpole on the runway. The explosions will demolish the pavement and make flight ops impossible. :v:
Fixed this for you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Wacky hijinks ensue.

Nkiruka Olisaemeka :colbert:

Edit:
A jump is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for passengers to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the JumpShip than on the passenger. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move 30 light years, and disembark. VVVV

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Wacky hijinks ensue.

For the uninitiated, Transition-Disorientation-Syndrome is actually a thing in Battletech. It's the :science: version of airsickness.

• Locked thread