Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Mac Pro tip is just to press CMD-space

FYI this also works on MacBooks and iMacs

;-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

Path Finder

Free: GrandPerspective or DiskInventoryX

Paid: DaisyDisk

Not sure, I use find and grep in Terminal if Finder's search isn't working for me.

Alfred is a text-based launcher with a lot of good plugins. Give it a shot but probably don't expect it to fulfill anything you have listed here.

Overall, give it time to learn how things work. A lot of the differences will feel wrong or broken at first but you'll get used to it.

Going to put this up front because I forgot to ask: Should I be using some uninstall utility to keep things clean as I try a dozen things that don't work out and want to clean up behind them?

Thanks for the quick reply. I did see that Alfred was a recommendation elsewhere, and from what I can tell it's not really something I was looking for, but when a bunch of people speak up and say it's worth checking out, I'm game.

I will have to experiment with the search tools. Basically I have a bunch of MS Office or .pdf files that I need to comb through and find all the instances of some obscure technical phrase. I feel like my experience with indexed searches leaves a lot to be desired. They're fast, but I feel like they aren't catching everything, and the results don't display like I'm used to. For instance, one of the tools I've used will show each result as like the whole line the phrase comes from in the file. I'll dick around, I don't need to be up and running at 100% immediately.

From everything I can tell, the functionality and stuff is going to be equal to or better than PC, it's just going to take some time to unlearn my pseudo power user PC crap.

vvv thanks, forgot to ask. Literally the only thing I gave up XP for a couple years back was the window snapping in Win7, I'll see if I can make this (so far, to me) insane interface on the Mac do what I want it to with a utility.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 24, 2017

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'd also recommend something like BetterSnapTool for window management. It lets you setup hotkeys to move/resize windows (e.g. split screen, corners, thirds, maximize, next monitor), snap to side/corners, and custom actions for right/middle clicking the red/yellow/green window dots and double clicking the titlebar.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

FYI this also works on MacBooks and iMacs

;-)

And iPads.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Splinter posted:

I'd also recommend something like BetterSnapTool for window management. It lets you setup hotkeys to move/resize windows (e.g. split screen, corners, thirds, maximize, next monitor), snap to side/corners, and custom actions for right/middle clicking the red/yellow/green window dots and double clicking the titlebar.

Amethyst. Spectacles. All great tiling stuff.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

uwaeve posted:

Going to put this up front because I forgot to ask: Should I be using some uninstall utility to keep things clean as I try a dozen things that don't work out and want to clean up behind them?

AppCleaner is what I usually see for that one.

quote:

I will have to experiment with the search tools. Basically I have a bunch of MS Office or .pdf files that I need to comb through and find all the instances of some obscure technical phrase.

In Finder's search, if you start typing e.g. ".doc", it'll allow you to filter the search by "kinds" and then you can apply more filters, including phrases and such. It's an under-documented and under-known feature, Finder search filtering.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'd give the built in Spotlight a week or so to see if it's sufficient for you before installing Alfred or whatever. For me at least I found it already does everything I care about.

jaegerx posted:

Amethyst. Spectacles. All great tiling stuff.

Also Magnet, which seems to go on sale often

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Alfred will do file searching and inside of file searching but it's indexed (I assume it uses spotlight 's index? I've never seen Alfred obviously scraping my filesystem) but that's not really what it's for. If you're coming from Windows you can kinda think of it as Cortana on steroids. I like it a lot but I'm torn on if I'd recommend it to someone mid-switch. On the one hand you're figuring out new workflows right now so maybe you should try to jump straight to Alfred power user badass; OTOH you may be better off learning how MacOS is "supposed" to work and then worry about optimizing later. You can always give the free version a shot, see if you like using it for basic app launching/web searches/calculator and try the other features later.

For uninstalling, I think the general rule is that if it's just an .app binary that you installed by dragging it into your Applications/ folder you can just delete it, at worst it'll leave a stray .plist file somewhere in Library/. If the app had an installer or installed a prefpane you're going to want to look to see if it came with an uninstaller or read some docs. If you really want a dedicated uninstaller app there's AppZapper but it's really not necessary.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 24, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Using uninstallers is unnecessary unless the application came in an installer package and vomited files all over the file system, but using a file system visualizer like Grand Perspective or the various equivalents can be great because after having the same OS X install for 5 years it can be fun to be like "wow an application I haven't used in 3 years generated 5 gigs of logs and I never knew and have been backing them up this whole time?"

If that's fun for you, anyhow.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

It wasn't, but then I started using DaisyDisk and now that poo poo is actually fun. :v:

Also, seconding AppCleaner. While most apps don't need it, it can be useful for trashing preferences along with installed apps (so you get an actual clean slate; some apps do this natively but a surprising amount don't), and finding things that badly-behaved apps drop in weird places.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

uwaeve posted:

I will have to experiment with the search tools. Basically I have a bunch of MS Office or .pdf files that I need to comb through and find all the instances of some obscure technical phrase. I feel like my experience with indexed searches leaves a lot to be desired. They're fast, but I feel like they aren't catching everything, and the results don't display like I'm used to. For instance, one of the tools I've used will show each result as like the whole line the phrase comes from in the file. I'll dick around, I don't need to be up and running at 100% immediately.

If you have these docs/pdfs in a few folders (rather than scattered across the file system), you might want to look at DevonThink. The AI can easily find terms in technical documents, but it can also direct you to connections between documents that you haven't yet noticed.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Can anyone please recommend a network usage app they use?

Two of the better ISPs in my country have various usage caps which increase in size the more you are willing to pay.
I figure it would be good to establish just how much I use in an average month before I sign up.

I'd have it run from login monitoring my downloads across all apps - also on my older MacBook which still runs 10.6 if possible.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

jet_dee posted:

Can anyone please recommend a network usage app they use?

Two of the better ISPs in my country have various usage caps which increase in size the more you are willing to pay.
I figure it would be good to establish just how much I use in an average month before I sign up.

I'd have it run from login monitoring my downloads across all apps - also on my older MacBook which still runs 10.6 if possible.

You may want to try to capture that at your router instead so you get your wifi/gaming console/movie streaming devices taken into account too? Lots of routers have a counter you can reset in the UI at the beginning of the month and check at the end.

If you really just need to monitor your Macs though, Little Snitch should be able to do it (and is a pretty great host firewall, generally).

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Thanks!
I houseshare at the moment so would want to avoid counting my housemates' usage as it wouldn't be an accurate reflection of my own needs.
I'll check Little Snitch out.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm having trouble with messenger on my MBP. I had to use my friend's iPhone5 while in England because for some reason my supposedly unlocked iPhone6 failed to work with any English SIM. When I got back my American friends were still receiving texts from my English number so I had my friend factory reset the iPhone5, so that they weren't risking any overseas charges. Ever since he reset the iPhone5, my desktop messenger has stopped receiving messages to my desktop. Any idea how to fix?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 27, 2017

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
10.12.4 is out.

The combo update is here.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm having trouble with messenger on my MBP. I had to use my friend's iPhone5 while in England because for some reason my supposedly unlocked iPhone6 failed to work with any English SIM. When I got back my American friends were still receiving texts from my English number so I had my friend factory reset the iPhone5, so that they weren't risking any overseas charges. Ever since he reset the iPhone5, my desktop messenger has stopped receiving messages to my desktop. Any idea how to fix?

I had this problem for 2 years and suddenly it resolved itself with some Mac OS x update. Wish I had more details on how it fixed itself.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Can I boot a macbook air into the command line automatically and then have the option of starting X? So I turn on the computer and am dropped into the unix shell, and then IF I WANT type 'startx' or something go into the X-windows server or something? If so how? Or where do I start? I am not even sure I can boot into cli.

edit: to clarify I mean boot into terminal/shell/cli for daily use, not for trouble shooting.

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 27, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lemonslol posted:

Can I boot a macbook air into the command line automatically and then have the option of starting X? So I turn on the computer and am dropped into the unix shell, and then IF I WANT type 'startx' or something go into the X-windows server or something? If so how? Or where do I start? I am not even sure I can boot into cli.

edit: to clarify I mean boot into terminal/shell/cli for daily use, not for trouble shooting.

No.

eames
May 9, 2009

:rip: f.lux, thanks for saving my eyes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can you disable night shift on a per app basis like with flux?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Seems to just be all or nothing, but if you scroll up in the notifications area, a toggle will be there next to "Do Not Disturb".

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can you disable night shift on a per app basis like with flux?
No.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Well, f.lux it is then.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

uwaeve posted:

Non-indexed search (can't remember the name of what I'm using but basically combs through files for expressions in file name or contents each time, slow but 100% accurate)

find . -name '*keyword*'
(look for keyword in filenames)

grep -rnw . -e 'keyword'
(look for keyword in file contents)

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
What's a good piece of software for MacOS that can convert images to sound like Photosounder? I tried installing both demo versions, and they both crash when opening, so I'm looking for something similar.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like I just don't get night shift. Every time I try it, the result just feels really unnatural and very offputting. I know what is pleasing is subjective but man, I just can't understand how anyone could say "yeah this looks good".

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It's good as hell.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Martytoof posted:

I feel like I just don't get night shift. Every time I try it, the result just feels really unnatural and very offputting. I know what is pleasing is subjective but man, I just can't understand how anyone could say "yeah this looks good".

It's awesome on iPad/iPhone, never tried it on a laptop...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's changed working at night for me. I hate using my screen late but if I have to, I could never go back to using it without flux.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, once you use it for a bit, it's fantastic. It does take a little bit of time to get used to the "orange," but once your eyes adjust, it's all good.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use it on my laptop + an extension that inverts the colours on all websites except photos and videos. My girlfriend complains that my computer looks "weird as hell" and "everything's hosed up". But if at night I see her play with her bright as hell phone in the corner of my eye, I say it's "burning my retinas". I think my setup is better.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Roadie posted:

find . -name '*keyword*'
(look for keyword in filenames)

grep -rnw . -e 'keyword'
(look for keyword in file contents)

If you're going that route, mdfind is a shitload faster than find and a lot of stuff (ack, silver searcher, ripgrep) is faster than grep (though probably not installed by default...ack might be). But since he's trying to adjust to MacOS from Windows, I don't know that CLI tools or learning regex is the best suggestion.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 28, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Night shift is ok but man F. Lux still kicks it's rear end. I'm surprised that Apple didn't make NS a lot easier on the eyes, so I'm glad there is still an option.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Flux has a bunch of stupid design decisions, like tying the screen tint to sunset with no option for fixed hours.

I have to set my location to the equator to get a decent approximation of what I want.

It’s too slow to switch the tint back on when moving focus to a non‐exempt application, but Night Shift doesn’t allow exemptions at all :lol:.

I miss Nocturne.

Pivo posted:

I use it on my laptop + an extension that inverts the colours on all websites except photos and videos.

Go on…

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 28, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ha. The extension is for Chrome, and it's called 'Dark Reader'. It makes the entire web black, is smart enough to not do it to photos and videos in most cases, and can be disabled with a simple keyboard shortcut. I like it quite a bit! I sometimes forget that it's on and that everything looks really loving weird to a third party.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have an app that's preventing sleep sometimes when I don't want it to. Is there a way to tell OSX not to let that app prevent sleep?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

I have an app that's preventing sleep sometimes when I don't want it to. Is there a way to tell OSX not to let that app prevent sleep?

Open Terminal.app and run:

pmset -g assertions

This should give you a list of processes that are asking the system to stay awake. See if you can track it down that way.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I know what app it is. I want OSX to ignore that app's requests to prevent sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh sorry, I totally misread by skimming.