Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Uber in Bangkok is pretty good and in non peak hours usually like 10-30 baht more than a normal meter fare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Sup dudes let's talk about proper driving:

https://my.mixtape.moe/wfhhiz.mp4

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Grand Fromage posted:

They're idiots. Every time I get in a cab in Chengdu it's like it's the dude's first day, he doesn't speak any language I can recognize, and he's never seen a map in his life. That said they do always figure out how to get at least in the neighborhood of my... neighborhood so it's annoying more than a serious problem.

I've never tried a taxi in Japan because I'm not literally made of money. The one I used in Bangkok tried to cheat me but I just walked away after laughing at him trying to bump the fare by 5x so whatever, free ride. In my part of Korea they were always quite good, though from what I hear the Seoul ones are assholes.

the cabs I’ve taken in tokyo haven’t been expensive compared to north america unless you’re using myanmar as your baseline or something

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Cry Havoc posted:

the cabs I’ve taken in tokyo haven’t been expensive compared to north america unless you’re using myanmar as your baseline or something

I don't believe this at all, unless maybe you live in the SF Bay Area? (Only place I've ever had a taxi driver lock the doors and refuse to stop unless I paid him twenty extra bucks. gently caress California.)

Definitely took some loooong, drunk-rear end walks home in Tokyo because I didn't want to pay upwards of 200 USD (equivalent) for a twenty-minute ride.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

LentThem posted:

That's for the murder this morning. Great way to start my day.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I don't believe this at all, unless maybe you live in the SF Bay Area? (Only place I've ever had a taxi driver lock the doors and refuse to stop unless I paid him twenty extra bucks. gently caress California.)

Definitely took some loooong, drunk-rear end walks home in Tokyo because I didn't want to pay upwards of 200 USD (equivalent) for a twenty-minute ride.

they recently decreased the base fare significantly

and are you walking home to narita or something that you’d be paying 200 usd for a taxi

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

LentThem posted:

Ah yes, nothing says entertainment like blunt force trauma to the back of the head. Thanks for sharing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Cry Havoc posted:

they recently decreased the base fare significantly

and are you walking home to narita or something that you’d be paying 200 usd for a taxi

You've answered your own question; fares must have been higher ten years ago.

e: You know what, you're half/right. The $200 fare was a friend of mine who did have to take a taxi out to Narita and I got the memories mixed up. I'm sorry! But I do distinctly remember once paying close to $100 equivalent to go from Takadanobaba to Kamishakujii very late at night.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 10, 2018

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

I've never tried a taxi in Japan because I'm not literally made of money. The one I used in Bangkok tried to cheat me but I just walked away after laughing at him trying to bump the fare by 5x so whatever, free ride. In my part of Korea they were always quite good, though from what I hear the Seoul ones are assholes.

Rode the taxi twice in Seoul got refused once so not not a good track record. The guy was an angry dick about it too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When ever I travel I always avoid taxi's as I assume they are always going to be crooks. I don't know why it has to be like this.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Other than that refusal they were good and I had no issues with them. They were priced better than New Zealand that's for sure where they did try to rip me off even though we had agreed on the fare before hand.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Computer malware is a big problem in Taiwan. That's bad.
The government runs a big national malware awareness program. That's good.
There is a quiz at the end. That's bad.
But the quiz winners get thumb drives as prizes! That's good.
The prizes contain malware.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42634571

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

oohhboy posted:

Rode the taxi twice in Seoul got refused once so not not a good track record. The guy was an angry dick about it too.

I think being refused from a taxi depends on if you told them your destination or not; it look me a while to learn that some taxi drivers will refuse you near the end of their shift because they want a fare that leads them in the general direction of their homebase / home. Foreigners also have a pretty poo poo track record with taxi drivers so they tend to be wary of foreigners all together; I've seen plenty of taxi mirrors smashed off by drunk GIs / foreigners when the smart move to do is to go to a jjimjilbang and wait for the subway to start running again.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If this is true... L'MAO
https://www.reddit.com/r/China/comments/7oyfjl/all_vpns_will_be_blocked_by_the_end_of_the_week/

quote:

There is already a big talent flight. I work in SIP Suzhou and I have access (due to some analysis we do ) to bureau data. There is a 45% decrease in Foreign talent the past 5 years. It is serious. Keep in mind that they know it, and this is echoed in many government reports. Will they do anything about it? I do not know.. but what I know for sure is if they completely fudge up the internet many people will be unhappy and many will leave. For some it will be the last straw that broke the camels back.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why does china even need foreign talent? I thought chinese students were the smartest best grade-having students in the world? Shouldn't China be able to stand strong on its own advanced and ancient culture of valuing education above all else with the greatest talent base in the world??

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They have recently made available 5-10 year unlimited crossing visas but I don't think saving people some paper work is going to get people into the country. In the press release they were practically begging for foreign talent like Nobel prize winners.

Have they found a sucker to run their big radio telescope?

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
I've not had any issues with taxis in Korea, aside from one guy who was mumbling/complaining under his breath the whole time.

That may be down to the wife doing all the talking, but aside from the 'driving far too fast while also watching a k-drama and singing along with the radio', which does concern me a touch, never had any issue with taxis, whether in Seoul and Busan, or smaller places like Jinhae.

The only problem I usually encounter is trying to fit my luggage in the back when they have an LPG tank.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

oohhboy posted:

In the press release they were practically begging for foreign talent like Nobel prize winners.

Domestic Nobel winners, on the other hand...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

Why does china even need foreign talent? I thought chinese students were the smartest best grade-having students in the world? Shouldn't China be able to stand strong on its own advanced and ancient culture of valuing education above all else with the greatest talent base in the world??

*checks government circulated education statistics*
BE...ST....IN...TH...EW....OR....LD

the dot matrix paper stretches out like an accordion revealing the humble 120pt truth

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So taxis in Bangkok are basically like taxis in Australia then.

StarMinstrel posted:

Domestic Nobel winners, on the other hand...

I lol'd

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Outrail posted:

That's for the murder this morning. Great way to start my day.

Mimesweeper posted:

Ah yes, nothing says entertainment like blunt force trauma to the back of the head. Thanks for sharing.

he's fine dont worry, thats why the video keeps going and they show a three-truck twirl tribute

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mimesweeper posted:

Don't worry I chortled for you.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Bip Roberts posted:

Don't worry I chortled for you.

I just gave an 'ooph'.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

So taxis in Bangkok are basically like taxis in Australia then.

I lol'd

Painfully true.

Taxi in Japan is ok as long as you are going a very short distance in a weird suburb and you can't find a train station.

Given you can hire a 4g wireless hotspot for almost nothing you should never be lost tho

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

A lot of them aren't from Bangkok and don't know the city in any meaningful way. They only come to the city because they hear it's easy to become a driver (especially if you can just make a friend who'll let you borrow his car when he doesn't feel like driving and you don't have to go through that whole licensing process). You can tell them major landmarks in Bangkok and they'll have no idea where those things are. It can be very exasperating.

This was definitely my experience, and the older driver parked behind him looked disgusted when the n00b from the mountains had never heard of Wat Arun. He called a buddy over from around the block who took us there easily.
My question from previous threads never got answered... are the flipped over taxis along the highway from BKK airport just left there for years, or regularly cleared away and replaced by another hideous accident?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

oohhboy posted:

Too drunk or too foreign?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Neither, was going to the airport. The guy was just a dick.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I had to get to the bus station in Thailand. Asked a local clerk how much a taxi should be, roughly.

Taxi driver was chilling by his cab on the corner. Quoted me three times as much, didn't want to take the trip if metered. I said "but we were just told it should be (price)". He said "ok then" and took us there. He even ran the meter for fun because he actually didn't know what the real fare should be, he just saw whitey and plucked a large number from the air. Turned out to be pretty much what we were told (a bit under, so the driver was happy, but it was ballpark, so we were happy).

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Neither, was going to the airport. The guy was just a dick.

That’s weird. Going to the airport is like universally a cab’s excuse to charge huge fees. I figure the dude would have been psyched

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dr.Radical posted:

That’s weird. Going to the airport is like universally a cab’s excuse to charge huge fees. I figure the dude would have been psyched

Just as important is that they are guaranteed to be able to get a new fare once there.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 11, 2018

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

peanut posted:

This was definitely my experience, and the older driver parked behind him looked disgusted when the n00b from the mountains had never heard of Wat Arun. He called a buddy over from around the block who took us there easily.
My question from previous threads never got answered... are the flipped over taxis along the highway from BKK airport just left there for years, or regularly cleared away and replaced by another hideous accident?

It's possible because of where I live I'm taking a slightly different route to the airport, but I've never seen any flipped over taxis. I'm at the airport with relative frequency as well so you'd think I'd have noticed something like that.

Platystemon posted:

Just as important is that they are guaranteed to be able to get a new fair once there.

And it's one of the few places that has road signs pointing to it from just about anywhere in a major city.

Which reminds me of another taxi anecdote. I was going to the airport, massive suitcases in hand, and hailed a taxi. The taxi pulled over and as I was getting in I said "airport". The driver freaked out and said there was no way he was going there. So I got out of the cab and watched him drive off. Where the hell did he think I was going with a giant suitcase?

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 11, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cry Havoc posted:

The base fare just to open the door of a Tokyo cab is higher than the maximum I have ever paid for a taxi ride in my life. At least it was the last time I was in Tokyo.

I have never used a taxi in North America so have no basis of comparison.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The base is like ¥750. I think they’re going to lower that for the Olympics too. It’s not bad at all if you’re going like a couple stations away and you’re splitting it with someone. I hardly ever take cabs but I’m not vehemently opposed to it when my wife or friends want to take one.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

The base fare just to open the door of a Tokyo cab is higher than the maximum I have ever paid for a taxi ride in my life. At least it was the last time I was in Tokyo.

I have never used a taxi in North America so have no basis of comparison.
In Oregon I took a taxi to a nearby airport, around a 5-mile/8.X Km trip, and by the time I arrived the meter was at $23. I think getting in was like $5, and like .75 cents for every quarter mile or something. Plus, it's the US, so people get all aggro about expecting a tip. Anyway, Oregon sucks outside of the nature and trees and poo poo, and I was happy to get out of there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dr.Radical posted:

The base is like ¥750. I think they’re going to lower that for the Olympics too. It’s not bad at all if you’re going like a couple stations away and you’re splitting it with someone. I hardly ever take cabs but I’m not vehemently opposed to it when my wife or friends want to take one.

Yep. That's 43 RMB, my normal taxi fare here in Chengdu is around 30 for a 15ish km journey back to my place. I don't think I've ever spent more than $10 for a taxi, so I mildly overstated.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I used to pay, like 150 RMB to go from downtown out to where I lived, and that was with a 50-yuan extra charge because there was no way in hell the drivers would ever be able to pick up a return fare.

Chengdu drivers were always pretty nice to us. Someone who shall remain nameless puked the entire trip once and the guy just handed him tissues and gave me a thumbs-up.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I used to pay, like 150 RMB to go from downtown out to where I lived, and that was with a 50-yuan extra charge because there was no way in hell the drivers would ever be able to pick up a return fare.

Chengdu drivers were always pretty nice to us. Someone who shall remain nameless puked the entire trip once and the guy just handed him tissues and gave me a thumbs-up.
LOL, what kind of boondocks are those? 150 is a crime.

Nostalgia:
I took a taxi in 2006 to see a mountain temple in Anhui. He put the meter on and also let it run while waiting. I didn't know the mountain had no road at all, but it was common for drivers to off-road it, and he did his best with his busted taxi. It was like motocross at some parts. The temple was cool, and he took us around to see some other places nearby. After like 3 hours of being driven around by this guy, we were dropped off and he gave me his business card and said I can call any time for any rides. With the meter, the total fare was 22 RMB, back when it was 8 per US dollar.

If China was still as Wild West as it was back in 2006, where people were curious and friendly and the anti-foreigner sentiment propaganda machine hadn't been turned on the way it has been since Xi started, I wouldn't mind being there now. I feel like that was a period when China really could have started to come into the global sphere and learned to cooperate a bit with other cultures and nations in ways that are now impossible. It still would be a polluted, street-making GBS threads disaster, but maybe less of a "bully on the block" the CCP and Xi are pushing for it to become. A lot of people say the 2008 Olympics are kind of the turning point for when China started sucking, and IMO I will agree with that.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Dr.Radical posted:

probably because he had all those extra suit pieces

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Where the hell did you live? I once went from quite far north of second ring road to my girlfriend's house in a neighbourhood south of the airport then back up to my place northeast of second ring road and that only cost me 90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Bajaj posted:

If China was still as Wild West as it was back in 2006, where people were curious and friendly and the anti-foreigner sentiment propaganda machine hadn't been turned on the way it has been since Xi started, I wouldn't mind being there now. I feel like that was a period when China really could have started to come into the global sphere and learned to cooperate a bit with other cultures and nations in ways that are now impossible. It still would be a polluted, street-making GBS threads disaster, but maybe less of a "bully on the block" the CCP and Xi are pushing for it to become. A lot of people say the 2008 Olympics are kind of the turning point for when China started sucking, and IMO I will agree with that.

The 2008 financial crisis is what I blame for that turn, although since they were only a month apart it's not a big difference in timing. The appearance of US power diminishing let the CCP believe it was their chance to make China the global superpower and make up for the "century of humiliation." The problem was that China had (and still has) no experience in consensus politics, and so they defaulted to their usual style of politics: demand everyone else follow them because they're more powerful/richer/older/etc.

The '08 financial crisis also discredited reformist/market-oriented economic policy, so China turned back to Soviet-style banking of opening the floodgates on bank loans to spur infrastructure and investment spending. Since economic growth was part of justifying the CCP staying in power, this policy was great for a while. Once the negative effects hit the economy and growth slowed down, the CCP turned to nationalism to distract people away from the problems in the economy and create a new justification for their rule.

I always felt like China is the nation-state version of the mild-mannered person who becomes an rear end in a top hat after getting rich. Before, they needed to be sociable and maintain good relations with other people in order to deal with problems they couldn't manage alone. Once they had enough money, they could tell everyone else to gently caress off and let all of their personality defects and complexes run unabated, even to the point of self-destruction.

• Locked thread