Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Shogeton posted:

On that train of thought, what about Dragon Souls. And related, Zenos' soul. Miggarsommr's soul apparently just goes with 'I'm not going to the livestream, just chilling' but what of the First Brood that died? Does their soul go back to the Dragon Planet's lifestream, or do they get recycled in Aetherys lifestream? Can Zenos' sould actually return to the lifestream from where he is now? An what about Dragons whose eggs were made on aetherys (First Brood presumably got their soul from Dragon Planet Aether) but does an Etheirys dragon have a soul that is made out of the same Aether as a Hyur or Sahaguin (including the possibility of recycled Ancient Soul)? or are Dragon souls different enough that even if they're made from the same Aether, they need to get either a newly minted dragon soul, or a recycled dragon soul?

(Not sure if these questions have answers of course, just pondering out loud)

i have to imagine they are part of the etherys's lifestream simply because of the whole dragon blood/dragon transformation plotline in heavensward, you could have walked around ishguard for your entire life with that part dragon ancestry and never known it without being exposed to dragon blood. as far as i can tell those folks had a normal lifecycle experience that any other elezen would have on the star. also i think the whole concept of dragon vs. elezen aether isn't a thing - that bodies are just form to aether + dynamis + (any)soul + ??? whatever else gets revealed in later xpacs. it fits with how the ancients created stuff too.

maybe middy is doing something similar to ascians/voidsent and there is some half-alive realm he can chill in that is darkness aspected

though the concept of aether transfer from one star to another is a fun one - could you "kill" a star by loading everyone into a moon and driving to another star?

and if that's the case i would also assume the answer for zenos is he gets to hang out in ultima thule's version of the lifestream??

lots of fun stuff to ponder in this line of thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Mad Wack posted:

though the concept of aether transfer from one star to another is a fun one - could you "kill" a star by loading everyone into a moon and driving to another star?

What's funny is that, according to FFVII's Lifestream mechanics, yes you absolutely can. This was Sephiroth's plan in Advent Children, to drain the Life Stream and travel the stars as a new Jenova, and Dirge of Cerberus states that the natural life cycle of a planet is that when some world-ending calamity happens, the Lifestream is all gathered into a celestial body and taken off to find a new planet to restart the cycle of life.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You’d have to take the entire biosphere with you— or kill everything else and make a hellacious mothercrystal. But if you did that you’re really more migrating the stream if you think about it. Some part of the Dragonstar will always be with Etheryis now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We don't know all of the different species that directly originated from the sundered ancients. Presumably at the very least any of them can have the echo / ancient soul fragment. There might be some rules whether other races or creatures could - you likely didn't get beasts or "lesser" life forms getting ancient souls in the ancient times, nor would you now.

Ixali not being natural in that sense might not qualify, but there's no way to know for sure.

IIRC it’s mentioned at Elpis that Creations that are properly in tune/harmonized with “nature”/the world will start to be granted souls by the lifestream. I can’t remember the exact phrasing. But Alpha could be considered a non ancient example.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It's important to keep in mind that going out into space is one thing.

But the Reflections are effectively a different dimension, not just another world.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

BlazetheInferno posted:

It's important to keep in mind that going out into space is one thing.

But the Reflections are effectively a different dimension, not just another world.

Yeah that gets fuzzy for me. Dragon world was a space flight away while the moon, also in space, has a version in each shard, so space and dimension are interesting

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 31, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It’s a localized space-time distortion. Probably doesn’t extend much further past the moon (which also needed to be sundered/was created after the sundering to imprison Zodiark’s shards.

The real head scratcher is what would happen if a space traveler from one of the reflections tried to leave Hydaelyn and visit another star. My assumption is they either can’t go far past the star before basically falling into the interdimensional rift or would be basically dimensionally out of synch and find nothing, despite stars being visible in the night sky.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Galaga Galaxian posted:

IIRC it’s mentioned at Elpis that Creations that are properly in tune/harmonized with “nature”/the world will start to be granted souls by the lifestream. I can’t remember the exact phrasing. But Alpha could be considered a non ancient example.

Yeah, they bring it up in Elpis and the short story with Phoinix I believe.

I was mostly interested in if all souls were equal, and could be reborn in any life form, or if there were tiers similar to Elder Scrolls. In the former, Emet-Selch's soul might be reborn into a mouse or insect, but in the latter he'd be restricted to, say, the spoken races.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I imagine every planet with aether-based life has its own lifestream just like it has its own gravity well. When Midgardsormr crossed deep space he transported, in the form of himself and his clutch of eggs, a pool of aether from the Dragonstar to Etheirys.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Huh, with the soul Chat, it is always assumed that the WoL is Source + 7 rejoined worlds + Ardbert = 9/14 while other Source folk are 8/14.

However, that kind of assumes that when the 7th Rejoining happened, the soul fragment of the 7th Shard that got absorbed homed in on the WoL (And every other person in Eorzea) and immediately fused.

Wouldn't it be more realistic that all those soul fragments just chill in the lifestream, and when the WoL dies (or otherwise hangs out in the lifestream long enough to fuse) they get to to 'fuse' with their counterpart. (And of course, some souls are not recycled ancients and so might not fuse at all)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Not to mention depending on Legacy, your WoL might have been straight up gone during the 7th Calamity and not come back for 5 years. Unless the merging was ongoing during the first minute or so of Bahamut's attack

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My dumb headcanon is that everyone got merged and due to being more complete now has a slightly longer natural lifespan, but because it's only been five years (plus an indefinite period of time) since then and they don't have the sort of recordkeeping that would let them detect subtle trends, nobody's noticed yet.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Doesn't G'raha Tia have a denser soul than the other inhabitants of the Source, due to having lived through the alternate timeline eighth calamity? Or is that just another fan assumption?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No, he says the Lue Reeq (spelling? The Nu Mou that helps us with the soul crystals to get everyone back to the Source), being a "soul scientist" of sorts, comments on the density of his soul.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Metal posted:

Doesn't G'raha Tia have a denser soul than the other inhabitants of the Source, due to having lived through the alternate timeline eighth calamity? Or is that just another fan assumption?

He says he has a denser soul but IIRC attributes it to being two catboys in one trenchcoat

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, Elidibus notes it too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, Elidibus notes it too.

Via stabby probing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cleretic posted:

But that level of shitpost OC just isn't fun without the effort put in to express it, and I don't have the artistic talent for fanart nor the willingness to write a fanfic about it, so it remains a modestly fun thought experiment.

Just use some third party tools.

My Azem was Euryale, who hated every other Ancient except Venat and Hyth. She was a force of chaos everywhere she went but usually left other civilizations better than when she arrived.

She invented spriggans.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Oooh, yeah, if G'raha is confirmed to have a denser soul than most, that would confirm that as soon as a Rejoining happens, Source souls are 'strengthened'

Now I also wonder, would this happen to everyone, or only the people whose soul are 'Legacy, pre-Sundering ones' or if any souls that were formed afterwards (assuming there are any) also just become 'denser' just because the Source as a whole has 'denser' Aether.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Shogeton posted:

Oooh, yeah, if G'raha is confirmed to have a denser soul than most, that would confirm that as soon as a Rejoining happens, Source souls are 'strengthened'

Now I also wonder, would this happen to everyone, or only the people whose soul are 'Legacy, pre-Sundering ones' or if any souls that were formed afterwards (assuming there are any) also just become 'denser' just because the Source as a whole has 'denser' Aether.

Some interview is floating around that all source souls are becoming denser after each rejoining, not just the ancient ones.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

He says he has a denser soul but IIRC attributes it to being two catboys in one trenchcoat

Specifically he says Y’shtola recognized it and wonders if it’s because he lived through the Eighth Umbral Calamity or because he’s two catboys in a trenchcoat:

G’raha Tia posted:

As for my soul, Y'shtola assures me it is similar to yours, [WoL]. That is to say it is somewhat denser than others, but otherwise normal.

On the face of it, it appears to make sense, but I couldn't help but consider the differences between your circumstance and mine.

You, of course, merged with Ardbert. And as similar as your souls may have been, the fact is you were different people. Thus did your soul gain in density.

How you were able to merge is another matter. Given what we know of the soul, that you possessed distinct memories should have rendered the process more complicated. Though I but theorize, perhaps your strong and shared desire to do so made it possible.

In contrast, I simply merged with myself. Whatever additional experiences the older me may have had, my fundamental existence remained unchanged. Mind you, that's not to say that I hadn't improved! Far from it!

At any rate, when our souls combined, it shouldn't have been a process of augmentation, but rather...shall we say, attunement. It seems somewhat strange that my soul has become denser.

Or could this be the result of having undergone another Rejoining? If so, it would serve as proof of a future that many fought and died to prevent. Lest we forget, my friend. Lest we forget...

So uh. You decide!

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Ooh, right, so when a Rejoining happens, it's more a case of. The whole Source just got a lot thicker with Aether, not just in the Lifestream but all over the Source. Presumably, if you have a pre-Sundered recycled soul, it seeks to merge with the counterpart, and if you have a post-Sunered soul, Aether might just fill it up to make your soul proper density.

Alternatively, when a Shard gets Rejoined, it's just pulped, souls and all, and driven into the Source as Aether without any kind of 'signature' and all Source Souls just 'thicken' by taking form that soup.

So, the question would be whether during the 7th Calamity, the WoL's soul fused with the 7th Shard's Azem soul shard, or whether the 7th Azem soul shard was just blended into '7th Shard Slurry' and is irretrievable and just thickened the WoL's soul. Clearly, Emet still very much recognizes our soul as Azem, but might be that 'Post Sundering Slurry' Aether can just be added to a soul without 'dilluting' the essence. (Unlike how souls blend in the 13th where the Souls aren't just discreet, but still very active with all memories stil lattached)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

But before that, back on the First, Elidibus tries to stab him and says "though you lack her blessing, your soul is surprisingly dense." He had it before merging.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Yeah, so that suggests that, while G'raha was sitting in the tower, and the 8th Calamity happened and the 1st rejoined, he got the boost

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Luigi Thirty posted:

My Azem was Euryale, who hated every other Ancient except Venat and Hyth. She was a force of chaos everywhere she went but usually left other civilizations better than when she arrived.

She invented spriggans.

I think there's a quest where you meet the person who invented Spriggans.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The person in Elpis must be confused

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So when Crystal Exarch G'raha (who should be at 8/14ths due to the Calamity he lived thorugh) gets merged with Scion G'raha (who is 7/14s), it seems like the 1/14th that was unique got grafted to Scion G'raha, but where did the duplicate 7/14ths go?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Mordiceius posted:

So when Crystal Exarch G'raha (who should be at 8/14ths due to the Calamity he lived thorugh) gets merged with Scion G'raha (who is 7/14s), it seems like the 1/14th that was unique got grafted to Scion G'raha, but where did the duplicate 7/14ths go?

They went toward reinforcing him against the impossible explosion of emotion from getting to be pals with us again

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Mordiceius posted:

Most of his aether is probably not contained within his soul or memory, it's in his bodily aether as well, and that got left behind on the First with his crystalized body.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

She invented spriggans.

Apollo was very pretty :3

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Realizing there's a startling lack of glowing/brightly colored eyes for player races in this game (limnal rings don't count)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh my god TOP's phase 6 transition is perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4izkLMEr13g

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Mordiceius posted:

quote:

At any rate, when our souls combined, it shouldn't have been a process of augmentation, but rather...shall we say, attunement. It seems somewhat strange that my soul has become denser.

My interpretation is that the original 7/14ths were "attuned" and that the 8th is from a rejoin ing, but the text is purposely vague so :iiam:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Pigbuster posted:

That first line after the cutscene...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Oh, is there? I'm saving the Elpis sidequests until I get more classes to 80.

Well... my Azem helped.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FuturePastNow posted:

I imagine every planet with aether-based life has its own lifestream just like it has its own gravity well. When Midgardsormr crossed deep space he transported, in the form of himself and his clutch of eggs, a pool of aether from the Dragonstar to Etheirys.

Doesn't Metion mention something about talking to the souls of the dead on some of the other planets? I figured lifestreams existed on other planets because of that

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Macaluso posted:

Doesn't Metion mention something about talking to the souls of the dead on some of the other planets? I figured lifestreams existed on other planets because of that

I cannot remember where exactly it came up in Endwalker (maybe the fishing quests?), but I am pretty sure that there are not just planetary lifestreams, but a universal overarching lifestream bringing everything together, and that while souls will stay within their localized lifestream, if that is disrupted they can move throughout the cosmos and towards other ones. Meteion disrupts this by drawing all the souls of the dead and dying worlds into her nest at the edge of the universe, and with that egg now cracked open and flowing back outwards, I think it's assumed that this collection of aether-and-souls will spread back out into the cosmos once more, either to Etheirys or to unknown ones where life might be able to flourish again.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Pigbuster posted:

never trusted that guy

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Remember that the Ultimates are canonically the Wandering Minstrel's fanfiction. Like, it's not even him embellishing a story we told him, it's literally just him making poo poo up for a fun what-if scenario.

The gently caress does the Wandering Minstrel have against Alpha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

They're pals now. :unsmith:

Cleretic posted:

Remember that the Ultimates are canonically the Wandering Minstrel's fanfiction. Like, it's not even him embellishing a story we told him, it's literally just him making poo poo up for a fun what-if scenario.

The gently caress does the Wandering Minstrel have against Alpha?

They did the fusion dance because they're buddies